Chapter 5

w i n g m a n

“L.Joe sunbae…” Saeyeon said, not knowing how to ask about the “going out” situation.
“I didn’t mean that we were going out in the sense we’re dating. We are going out, as in we are going outside.” 
Saeyeon mouth formed a big ‘O’. L.Joe couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. 
Saeyeon looked surprised. It was rare to see a smile, yet alone a small chuckle.

“Do you know where they are?” She asked quietly, still feeling awkward next to him.
“No.” He answered bluntly. “But I have a good guess.”

L.Joe’s legs were much longer than Saeyeon’s and she slightly jogged to keep up with his fast walking pace.
Her feet were cold as ice. She hated uniform shoes. They provided no warmth whatsoever, even the winter shoes.

L.Joe noticed that he was walking too quickly. He slowed down so she could keep up without running.
He wasn’t used to taking his time when walking and his legs felt uncomfortable moving so slowly.
She gave him a grateful smile and he acknowledged her thanks with a nod.
He realized her cheeks were flushed red with cold. But he didn’t know what to say.

“If I’m right, they’re probably in that bakery there.” He said, thankful that he could finally see a green canopied store a few blocks off.
“How do you know?” She asked curiously.
“Chunji told me he liked taking girls there. It supposedly “relieves all tension”.” He answered.

L.Joe looked at the snow piling up on the grass. It was untouched and he had the temptation to go ruin it, like a child.
He could see his breath like a cloud. He hated to admit it, even to himself, but he was slightly fascinated.
He had never bothered to pay attention to any of this. He viewed life with a bored attitude. 
It wasn’t until he forced himself to walk a little slowly that he noticed all of these small details.

And he noticed he was talking more than usual. He usually refrained from voicing anything besides the necessary replies.

“Nana likes bakeries. I think you’re right.” Saeyeon replied. 
L.Joe sighed. But it wasn’t out of frustration this time. It was just so he could see his breath again.

Saeyeon picked up a pile of snow and formed a snowball. He looked at her with an eyebrow raised.
She wasn’t going to throw it at him, was he?

She threw it up in the air. She planned on catching it, but it ended up hitting a tree branch and she got covered in snow.
She tried to shake it off like a dog but it stuck like glue.
L.Joe was officially amused.

Saeyeon’s teeth began to chatter and she tried biting her lip to keep her teeth from making so much noise.
“That’s what you get for wearing such a useless stupid scarf.” L.Joe muttered, taking his grey scarf out of the bag.
“Give it to me some other time. It looks like you don’t have a real scarf.” He said, emphasizing the word ‘real’.
Saeyeon frowned in response, thinking her scarf was perfectly fine – and fashionable. But she didn’t refuse his favor and took the too-large-for-her scarf.

They finally reached the bakery and they peered secretively through the window.
Chunji and Nana were sitting at a table, sharing a green tea cake – it was Nana’s – and Saeyeon’s – favorite.
Nana was laughing and Chunji was all smiles.

“I don’t think I want to interrupt their date.” L.Joe announced. Saeyeon was going to agree, but he didn’t give her a choice as he dragged her away from the bakery.
“Wait, I was supposed to go to Nana’s house later… I’m really bad at math.” Saeyeon bit her lip. Nana was supposed to help her study for the math test they were going to have the next day.
L.Joe shrugged. Was he supposed to be concerned?

“I don’t think math is the number one thing she has on her mind right now…” L.Joe said blandly.
Saeyeon nodded in reply. She already knew Nana would probably forget all responsibilities at this point.

“Oh! It’s Saeyeon! And L.Joe’s with her, Chunji sunbae. We can all hang out together.” Nana shouted as the pair came out of the bakery. 
Chunji smiled and approached his friend.

“Why don’t you take Saeyeon somewhere nice?” He muttered so only L.Joe could hear.
“Why? You don’t want us interrupting? That hurts my feelings.” L.Joe said sarcastically.
“I have three syllables for you. Mo-tor-cy-cle.” Chunji hissed.
“That’s four syllables, idiot. And I got the message. It’s not like I want see your love fest anyway.” L.Joe snapped back.

“Saeyeon, let’s go… I’ll help you … study or something.” L.Joe grabbed the small girl and gave Chunji one last stern look.

“W-Wait, Saeyeon! Oh, no… I was supposed to help her study tonight.” Nana said guiltily.
“It’s okay. You heard L.Joe – he’ll help. He’s really smart, don’t worry. She’ll be fine in his hands.” Chunji comforted. Nana felt his hand on her shoulder and felt better immediately.

“Yeah, she should be fine… right?” She asked.
Chunji nodded, giving her that dashing smile of his.

Nana mentally apologized to the picture of Saeyeon in her memory.

Suddenly, she frowned, remembering something…
Saeyeon had been wearing L.Joe’s scarf again… The one she said she would return…
Was there something she didn’t know about them?