Chapter 23

w i n g m a n

Eunji quickly gave Saeyeon a glare, knowing L.Joe had been paying attention to the wrong girl that night.
She chased after L.Joe, leaving Myungsoo alone to look at Saeyeon helplessly.

Myungsoo sighed. Why was it that although L.Joe pushed her away while he, himself, tried so hard to get Saeyeon, that L.Joe always easily beat him?
What was so good about L.Joe? He was a jerk to Saeyeon. He was with another girl right in front of her.
And yet Saeyeon still liked L.Joe over him.
It wasn’t fair.

“Saeyeon, let’s get up.” Myungsoo said, having nothing else to say.
Saeyeon nodded, her cheeks still dry for now.

“I kind of don’t want to go to my room right now. Can you just go first?” She asked.
Myungsoo hesitated. He wasn’t sure he wanted to leave Saeyeon in that state – especially in the way she was dressed – alone.

“Please,” she pleaded and Myungsoo couldn’t refuse.
He told her to stay safe and he uncertainly walked back to Sungjong’s room.

Saeyeon walked out of the restaurant and she stood at the entrance of the hotel.
There was Club Duke nearby and an outdoor sauna.
She wasn’t in the mood to be alone in a swimsuit in front of random people so she decided she and Nana could use a little pick-me-up.

“Nana, meet me downstairs in five minutes.” She said through the phone. She didn’t wait for Nana’s response.
She knew that Nana would understand the urgency and that she really needed someone right now.

She felt a gust of chilly wind blow in as someone entered the hotel.
She shivered and realized she wasn’t wearing a coat or anything of that sort.

“Need a sweater?” 
Saeyeon turned around to see Chunji handing her his sweater with a crooked smile.

“You can just give it to me some other time… Don’t worry about it.” He said quietly.
She took it gratefully, feeling sorry for him. 
“I’ll put in a good word for you to Nana.” She said with a genuine smile. 
He returned a small one and nodded before leaving.

Saeyeon sighed, patiently waiting for Nana. She put on the sweater which was big on her and clashed with her outfit – but at least she was warm.
She exhaled deeply. She thought of Chunji and realized he wasn’t such a bad match for Nana. It still seemed like he cared for Nana and wanted to make up.

“I’m here! What’s wrong?” Nana said, shouting as soon as the elevator doors opened.
As Saeyeon explained on the way to Club Duke, Nana noticed Chunji’s distinct cologne in the air.

“Are you listening, Nana? I feel really bad for Myungsoo, but …” Saeyeon huffed.
“Yeah, I am. Sorry. You like L.Joe, right?” Nana summarized.
“No, I never said that.” Saeyeon denied. “Can you stop sniffing the air?”
Nana smiled. “Sorry, there’s just something that smells … really nice in the air.” She said softly.
Saeyeon tried smelling the air. It just made her nose feel numb from the cold. 
“What are you smelling?” Saeyeon asked curiously.
“Chun –” Nana paused and smiled awkwardly. “Nothing. Just something good.”
Saeyeon grinned. “Chunji? This is his sweater. I was cold so um… I asked him if I could borrow it.” She lied, thinking that if Nana found out Chunji had offered, that she’d get the wrong idea.

“He’s really nice.” Saeyeon added, remembering her promise to Chunji.
“Yeah, yeah. Whatever, Saeyeon.” Nana said, opening the door to Club Duke. She didn’t want to hear anything about him.
The music from the club could be heard from the outside and it was deafening on the inside.

“Let’s just… let loose.” Nana said.
“Just like old times.” Saeyeon said with a nostalgic smile. 
She hadn’t hung out at a club with Nana in what felt like ages.

“Yeah, who needs boys anyway?”