Chapter 2

w i n g m a n

“Nana… I thought you told me those Kingka guys were rude, spoiled good-for-nothings…” Saeyeon said with a big sigh.
“I know, I know… But I think Chunji’s different; don’t you think so too?”

Saeyeon muttered an inaudible ‘no’.

“He’s… just so charming.” Nana continued to gush.
“Pay attention to Teacher Park, Nana… I know you’re really smart, but you know this is your worst subject.” Saeyeon couldn’t help but pick on Nana’s only flaw – her English.
It was the only thing that Saeyeon was better at than Nana.

“I know, I know. But I can’t help but think back to his - ”
“His face?” Saeyeon interrupted. “That’s all you know about him… Don’t be shallow, Nana.”

For once, Saeyeon felt smarter, more logical. It was as if they had traded roles overnight. Nana was no longer the advisor, but the “advisee”.

Nana managed to get through the entire class daydreaming. She was always blessed with luck.

“That’s all you wore? It’s turning cold quick lately, Saeyeon ah…” 
Saeyeon looked at her thin cardigan and sighed. At least Nana was back to being her sensible self…

“Stupid November weather…” She muttered, shivering a little from the wind.

“Here’s a scarf.” 
Saeyeon felt a thick scarf fall onto her neck and she looked at Nana, wondering why her voice had suddenly gotten so deep and masculine.
Nana shook her head, gesturing for Saeyeon to turn around.

Saeyeon whirled around and the end of the scarf swung at the blonde stranger in front of her.
He quickly ducked and glared.

“I’m sorry…” She whispered, completely dumbfounded when she realized who this stranger was.

“L.Joe…” Nana murmured to herself, taking on a defensive position. She didn’t want Saeyeon getting near this rumored ‘heartless player’.
“Take the scarf. It’s cold today.” He said boredly.
The scarf was plush and grey. It was a bit too big for a small girl like Saeyeon, but it did a good job of keeping her warm.

“Um… Thank you? I’ll, um… I’ll give it back tomorrow.” Saeyeon stammered, the word ‘unconfident’ written across her forehead.

Nana quickly grabbed Saeyeon’s arm and dragged her away from L.Joe.

“I don’t think that tall girl wants me near her friend, Chunji.” L.Joe said, as Chunji came out of hiding behind a nearby tree.
“Just try and get closer to her. They can’t be together all the time…”
“Why am I doing this again?” L.Joe said with a groan.

“I get the girl, you get a new motorcycle.” Chunji said with a big grin.
“Right…” L.Joe muttered, thinking about his outdated Kawasaki.

“So put a little more emotion into it!” Chunji scolded.
L.Joe ignored the comment. “Since that girl has my scarf, I’m freezing my off now.”

“What girl?” Niel asked as he walked closer, clearly interested in L.Joe’s love life.
“I don’t even know her name.” L.Joe muttered through teeth chatters.

“It’s a one-sided love?” Niel asked, excited.
“No. It’s a no-sided love.” L.Joe said, quickly shooting him down.

.

“Why did he give you that?” Nana asked, trying not to sound too serious.
“I don’t know… I’ve never spoken to L.Joe in my life.” Saeyeon replied, equally curious.

“It’s really warm and nice though…” Saeyeon murmured, rubbing her fingers through the knitted scarf.
“I hope he’s not too cold right now.” She said, casually wondering if L.Joe would be cold without it.

“He should be fine. Just give it back to him tomorrow and end - ” Nana stopped midsentence.
Maybe this L.Joe-Saeyeon thing wasn’t that bad…
If they got closer, then would she be able to meet Chunji?

“End what?” Saeyeon asked.
“I didn’t say ‘end’… I was going to say ‘en(d)-joy your time with him! I mean, he’s good looking and all… So who knows?” Nana winked, feeling giddy again.

‘Enjoy my time? … With L.Joe?...’ Saeyeon thought nervously.
There was no way that would happen.

Not in reality anyway…

__________________________