Chapter 25

w i n g m a n

“Saeyeon, Blondie just entered through the door – just a heads up.” Nana warned.
Saeyeon turned around. Sure enough, L.Joe had entered, garnering a lot of attention from his female admirers.

Luckily, there were enough of those admirers to keep him busy and block his view from small Saeyeon.
“Do you want to leave?” Nana asked sympathetically.
Saeyeon shook her head ‘no’. They had came here to relax and enjoy themselves – and heck, that’s what they were going to do.

“Nana, I’m going to be on the dance floor.” Saeyeon said, leaving Chunji’s sweater on the couch. She felt like she really needed to loosen up.
Nana nodded, sipping her mohito.

Saeyeon stretched her arms out towards the ceiling. She didn’t dance often, but she really loved to. She swayed her hips to the beat and moved her body to the rhythm.
“Saeyeon? Is that you? You dance? … You dance well?”

She looked up to see Jay, her classmate. He was known for his dancing skills, popping and whatnot.
She smiled shyly – she had never really struck up a real conversation with him. “I can’t dance compared to you.” She complimented.

“Nah, I can’t do those y body rolls like you.” He said genuinely, with no hint of lust at all. “I didn’t think you were the type to dance. You don’t talk much in class.” 
She shrugged. “You don’t need to talk a lot to know how to dance.”
Jay laughed. “That’s true. Want to dance? I love this song.” 
Hurricane Venus came blasting on loudly; it was a great song for popping.

L.Joe looked at Saeyeon laughing and having fun. She was still wearing that outfit he didn’t want to see her in, no matter how y she looked.
She hadn’t laughed like that in front of him in what felt like years. He sighed, wondering if he’d be able to fix things before they went back home the next afternoon.
It didn’t seem very possible because he couldn’t bring himself to approach her.

“L.Joe sunbae, dance with me!” Hyerim said.
But her request was ignored. 
She glared and followed his eye and found he was staring at Saeyeon. She had heard they were no longer friends.
What was going on then?

“Sunbae?” She asked, waving her hand in front of his face.
L.Joe suddenly snapped back to reality and he smiled weakly. “Yeah?” He asked.
“Are you alright?” 
He nodded in response and sat down in a nearby chair. Hyerim took the liberty to join him.

“If you like her so much, then why don’t you go for it? I mean, I don’t understand why in the world you like something like that… But for some reason you think she’s better than me – unbelievable, but still…” Hyerim paused. She hated being nice. “If she’s that great in your mind that she’s better than me, then… you should grab her while you have the chance.” 
L.Joe stared blankly. Was Hyerim really being supportive of him being with someone else?

Hyerim sighed. Six years of chasing after him had made her really love this boy. She loved him from when he had black, normal hair.
Maybe six years was enough …

“You know, you’re … pretty alright.” L.Joe admitted with a smile.
Hyerim felt her heart soar. It was the first time he had ever complimented her on anything.
It almost made her feel good about giving him up.

“Go get her… Before Myungsoo does.” She warned, pointing to Myungsoo, who was clearly walking with a purpose.
L.Joe flashed her another grateful smile and ran towards Saeyeon. 
He believed his purpose was greater than Myungsoo’s. 
There was no way that it wasn’t.

“Saeyeon,” he desperately called out her name. 
But Boa’s damned song drowned out his voice. He really liked the song but he wished someone would freaking mute it.
He looked around for Myungsoo, expecting him to barge in on the scene at any moment. But he was nowhere nearby.

Suddenly the music stopped, like he had wished. Was someone reading his mind? He looked at the DJ and noticed Myungsoo was standing on stage, ready with a microphone.

“Saeyeon?” Myungsoo called out. “Can I get a spotlight?” He asked.
L.Joe shook his head. There was no ing way.

Sure enough, the spotlight centered on the small girl who was looking extra pretty that night. And she was now the focus of the entire crowd.

Saeyeon looked around, very confused. She looked at Jay for help, but he shrugged, equally confounded. He stepped out of the spotlight slowly, realizing it wasn’t centered on him.

“Myungsoo?” She asked quietly, looking at the smiling boy on stage.
“Saeyeon, will you go out with me?” Myungsoo asked boldly. “I promise I’ll treat you well and never make you cry.”

A loud chorus of “Aw”s were heard throughout the club.
L.Joe stopped dead in his tracks and dreaded hearing the response. Why would Saeyeon say ‘no’? Even L.Joe couldn’t deny that Myungsoo was exceptionally good to her.

Everyone looked at Saeyeon expectantly. 
She smiled nervously and tucked her hair behind her ear.

She took a deep breath before responding.

____________________________________________