Chapter 19

Time After Time.

 

3 years later

                Wow. Can’t believe I’m back here again. It’s been so long. It’s really stuffy though, so I drew the curtains back and as usual, the view from up here is still surreal like it always had been. I traced the corners of the living room walls, the frame of the sleek couch and stopped at the kitchen counter. Seunghyun’s beanie… Yes, he left it here 3 years ago.

                3 years. I finally got my degree after 3 bloody harsh years. I worked my off, just so I could finish faster. I don’t know why I was so desperate to complete my degree so quickly but at the back of my mind it was just telling me to do it. Maybe it’s because I miss Korea? Or was it someone in Korea? Whatever it is, I’m here and I need to clean this place before the dusts clog up my lungs and suffocate me to death.

                After a couple of hours of calories-reducing activities, I dialed Jiyong’s number. It took him 3 seconds to pick up. That's surprising.

                “Yah! How many times would you want me to explain to you that it was just work?!” My eardrums are probably shifted already.

                “KWON! JI! YONG! LOOK AT YOUR GODDAMN CALLER ID!” He went silent for awhile and once again, my eardrums probably just went down my throat. I know. I don’t make sense.

                “BOMMIE! HOLY ! OH MY GOD! SINCE WHEN?!!!” He needs to stop.

                “I know your mouth is massive but you don't have to scream your off.”

                “Oh right… Sorry about that. Now spill it.”

                “Just got back a few hours ago. You’re the first to know, so be honoured and worship me.”

                “Talking about the impossible. It’s been 3 years! You know how hard it is to survive with Chaerin without you giving me advice?!” That cracked me up. It’s probably hard handling a person like Chaerin, so that’s why he was shouting at first.

                “Well, Park Bom to the rescue again.” We joked around for a bit but Jiyong had to hang up because Chaerin was calling. He’s probably going to get a handful from her again.

                I scroll down my contacts list and called Nikki unnie next. I already contacted her about securing a position in her company when I come back. She agreed right away and always welcomes me warmly. We discussed about my job through the phone, and by the time I hung up, it was around a quarter to ten in the night which means almost 11 am back at the States. I was having a hard time keeping my eyelids apart and collapsed on the couch with my comfy oversized hoodie on. Somehow, my senses told me that it’s wrong to be holding on to someone else’s beanie but I was too tired to argue with myself.

                I met up with Nikki unnie a few days ago and my work starts today. I’m part of the Design Department. Well, that’s the only thing I’m actually good at for my entire life. Our department takes up a lot of space and it’s usually messy with sketches and fabrics flying everywhere. Each of us has our very own table, which seems to be as large as the ones in the cafeteria. There are only two departments on this floor, which is my department and the Creative Director Department. There’re the people who come up with endless concepts for our collection, therefore we have to work closely with them.

                Our Head of Department, Kelly unnie is on leave right now, so I had to compile all the designs for the Autumn Collection and pass it to the director next door. I heard countless rumours about him though. For example, being a player, suffering from depression and even having multiple gay partners. It’s ridiculous, but the one thing I’m sure of is that he must have really good looks because everyone was going hoo-ha over his facial features.

                I greeted Haejin unnie who is now working as the director’s secretary and requested to see him. I heard he doesn’t like it when we don’t hand in our designs personally. Haejin unnie picked up the phone and said some stuff which I couldn’t be bothered with and nodded her head, smiling at me. That probably means that I could go in now. I was feeling a little nervous because this is the first time I’m gonna be seeing him, it’s important that I leave a good impression. I took a deep breath before knocking on the frosted glass door.

                “Come in.” What a deep voice. I slowly pushed open the door and he was busy scribbling things down on some papers. I didn’t see his face clearly though but that jaw line was incredibly familiar. I shook my head a little. He has dark brown hair and some nerdy looking glasses, not a white Mohawk and an egoistic smile. I placed the file on his table and was about to leave but he stopped me.

                “Where’re you going? Have a seat first. The head of your department is on leave right?” His voice is just too familiar that I turned around right away.

“Yes.”He was still scribbling things down, so I sat down in front of him.

                The minute he looked up, I thought I was going to suffocate on oxygen and die right that minute. That pair of eyes I could never forget, I scolded myself in my head for not being able to recognize him when I saw those pair of large hands. Those warm hands which used to intertwine with mine. I would have left right away; if only I had thought a little deeper.

                “So what’s your name?” I froze. Is he serious? Please tell me that I heard him incorrectly.

                “Pardon?” I said in disbelief.

                “What is your name?” He repeated. He actually forgotten about me? Really?

                “Park Bom”, I replied softly. His face was as still as ever, with no emotions. What has this man become?

                “Are you new? I’ve never seen you before.” Those words pierce through me like knives, I felt my heart trembling.

                “Y-yes. I just came back from America.” He was flipping through the designs and it seems like he’s not bothered by my existence at all.

                “I see, you can leave now. I’ll get back to your head of department after looking through it carefully.” He looked into my eyes and ing hell, I felt uneasy. I avoid his eye contact, stood up, bowed and left quickly.

                Choi Seunghyun, you really don’t recognize me anymore? It was only 3 years… , this is bothering me. I know if he still does, it’s going to be really awkward between us and I wouldn’t know how to even look at his face. I feel at ease that he didn’t remember me but deep inside its like thorns penetrating through my every organ. That sharp, numbing pain which I’m familiar with.

                Work ended early with nothing much left to do except free-sketching. I chatted with Haejin unnie on my way down as we met in front of the lift. Luckily, he wasn’t there, or I would have taken the stairs and I don’t even care how long it’s going to take me to reach the first floor. I just don’t want to see him or even sense his presence anywhere near me for now. My head went completely bongus just now in his office, and those days we spent just came smashing into my head. I don’t want to be stuck in the past anymore.

                I hopped on Boss, that’s what I named my shiny and black Audi R8. It’s kind of cooler when you tell people you’re getting your car or you’re in the car. Well, just my personal taste. Mum and Nick gave me boss as a graduating present and I cried like some mentally challenged person in the middle of the street.

                A text from Haejin unnie came in when I just stepped into my house.

                ‘Bom ah! I forgot to tell you that we’re having a welcome party for our new colleagues which you are one of them. SO! You’re one of our GUEST OF HONOUR. 8 p.m. at Carrera Hotel. Look hot and unnie will wait for you at the lobby!’

                I glanced at the clock, 6.45 p.m., I guess I have to run.

                I ran upstairs with my hair still wet and holding on to my towel. I picked out a Christopher Kane Tank Dress because it’s the easiest to put on, add a D&G corset belt, grabbed my purse and rushed downstairs. I checked the time again and it was already a quarter to 8. I popped on my Gianmarco Lorenzi and went off.

                I caught a glimpse of my neighbour’s back; he looked so familiar, too familiar in fact. I was kind of puzzled in the middle of the aisle for a minute, but no way could my neighbour be ‘him’ right? I felt my forehead, thinking that I might be having a fever and hallucinating for some reason. Unfortunately, I was perfectly fine. Hopefully I don’t see him later on.

                And thank god it’s Friday.

 

***BOOYAH! CHAPTER 19 DONE BABES. I hope it doesn't bore you to death or anything. Hahaha, please leave me some comments! :D And lastly, WESUPPORTDAESUNG! My smiling angel.***