My Stupid

Sungyeol the Stupid Love Doctor

“Woohyun. Woohyun, please. Tell the universe to stop!”

“Nope.”

“Come on! I never did anything wrong!”

“Yes, you certainly did!”

“But I was never against them getting together! I just… gave him some misleading advice.”

“And that is why the universe of love and relationships is punishing you. Face the wrath!”

“I don’t want to face the wrath!” Sunggyu cried, clinging onto his boyfriend.

Woohyun crossed his arms and sniffed, not moving an inch. “Serves you right!”

Ever since Woohyun had ‘cursed’ him with the wrath of the universe, Sunggyu’s life had been getting noticeably worse over the span of three days. During Homecoming night, someone knocked over the punch bowl onto him. The next day he was attacked by an onslaught of pigeon poop falling from the skies. And so much more had happened that made his life worse.

And that certainly wasn’t the end. The night before, he had woken up in cold sweat after he dreamt that Myungsoo and Sungyeol were doing the do and he was witnessing all of it.

And that was when he decided that he had had enough of the universe.

So here he was, begging his boyfriend on his knees to take back the curse inflicted upon him.

“Woohyun, please!” he exclaimed. “I am literally begging you to take back whatever you cursed me with! It’s terrifying!”

Woohyun shrugged. “I don’t know… you kind of deserved it, to be honest.”

“You and I both know that I didn’t!”

“Even if I wanted to I couldn’t! That’s what happens when the universe is punishing you!”

“I don’t want to be punished!” Sunggyu cried, wrapping his arms around Woohyun’s knees. “Hyun, you have to take it back! You love me enough to do that, right?!”

Woohyun stared down at him, his left eyebrow twitching. “I hate it when you use the ‘love’ card against me,” he mumbled.

Sunggyu stared up at him, his eyes twinkling. “Please~?”

Woohyun huffed and looked away. “Nope.”

“Woohyun!”

“Nope. No mercy.”

“Come on!”

“No.”

“Woohyun!” Sunggyu begged.

“No! What you did was unforgivable!”

“What I did was in the spur of the moment! I didn’t mean it!”

“No matter what you do, I am not taking back my curse on you.”

“The universe is too wrathful! You must help me.”

Woohyun looked down at him. “No. I don’t want to. You deserve the pain the universe is giving you.”

“But it’s come to be too much,” Sunggyu said, sprouting up and taking a hold of his shoulders. He stared at him square in the eye. “You don’t understand the kinds of things that the universe has unleashed on me.”

Woohyun rolled his eyes, sitting on top of his boyfriend’s doctor desk. “Oh yeah? Like what?”

“Yesterday a seagull snatched my food right out of my hands.”

Woohyun gave him a raised eyebrow, clearly unimpressed. So Sunggyu continued.

“I tripped and fell face first into my bowl of food!”

Woohyun yawned.

Sunggyu sighed sharply, slamming both of his hands on either side of Woohyun and on his desk. “Woohyun,” he said. “Last night I dreamt that Sungyeol and Myungsoo were doing the do.”

Woohyun froze. “You were dreaming of them… instead of me?!”

Sunggyu’s face fell. “Uh–”

“How dare you dream of other boys besides me!” Woohyun cried, hopping off the table immediately.

“Woohyu–”

“No, don’t you dare speak to me, Kim Sunggyu!” Woohyun shouted.

Sunggyu sighed. The universe was really punishing him this time because, once again, Woohyun was being over-dramatic.

“I hope the universe becomes even more–”

“No!” he cried suddenly. “Please don’t curse me with the universe again!”

Woohyun huffed and stared at him angrily. He pointed towards the office door. “Unless Sungyeol comes bounding through that door right now, I will not forgive–”

Sunggyu-hyung!”

Well, the universe must’ve been on his side for a second there because Sungyeol had slammed the door open with the most excited and nervous look in his eyes.

Woohyun’s pointing finger drooped as he stared at the floor. “Dammit…” he cursed.

Sunggyu wrapped Sungyeol up in a hug, nearly squeezing the jelly out of his eyes. “Your timing is brilliant!” he said excitedly.

“…hyung, I can’t breathe.”

“The universe is finally on my side again!”

“Hyung–!”

Woohyun huffed in the corner, clearly miffed over the previous moment. Sungyeol wrenched himself out of Sunggyu’s grasp.

“Hyung, I need your help with something,” he said.

Since he was in a good mood, he replied, “Anything!”

Sungyeol opened his backpack and pulled out a camcorder. He explained all the details to Sunggyu (and technically Woohyun, since he was eavesdropping) with vigorous arm movements and fast-talking – he was quite excited, after all. His face was animated and lively and his eyes were twinkling like bright stars at midnight. No doubt that he was totally and utterly keyed up for this.

He finished and took in a deep breath, biting his lip as he stared at Sunggyu with hopeful eyes. “So… what do you think?” he asked. “Think it’ll work?”

Woohyun spoke up. “Of course it will! It’s bound to work!”

Sunggyu nodded. “I think it’s a pretty good shot.”

Woohyun stared at him incredulously. “Pretty good shot? Pretty good shot?! It’s flipping perfect, Sunggyu!”

“Well, with what’s ha–”

“Shut it!” Woohyun demanded. “I do not want to hear a single word of opposition come out of your mouth!” he said. Then he smiled brightly and turned to Sungyeol, latching onto him in a bone-crushing hug. “Of course we’ll help you, Yeollie!”

Sungyeol smiled as Woohyun let go. “That’s great!” he said. Then he held up his camcorder. “Now, let’s get to work.”

 

“Umma, I just… I don’t feel right doing this.”

Myungsoo stared down at his bare fingertips as he sat at the marble countertop at his home. His mother stared at him bitter-sweetly from the other side of the kitchen island, sighing softly. She took his hand in her own, soothingly rubbing her thumb across the back of it.

“It’s going to be alright, Myungsoo,” she said.

“But it won’t be,” he said defiantly. “Not for you, anyways! I mean… a-appa is great and all, and Moonsoo is cool, but… you’ll just be left here alone.”

For the past few days, Myungsoo had been getting to know his biological father better, along with his half brother. They had gone out to an amusement park where they had bonded over rides and ice cream. They had also been to a park, and a restaurant – they had gone everywhere to just hang out with each other and bond.

 His father was amazing to him. He was a gentle guy that didn’t get mad easily (even when a dog peed on his foot) and faced the world with optimism. His little brother, Moonsoo, he found to be slightly mischievous, definitely contrasting to his large obsession with cute things. Myungsoo actually felt bad because he liked them. He wasn’t supposed to like them – he felt like he was betraying his mother, otherwise. As distant as they were, she did raise him. But he loved his father and brother. He got a chance to meet his soon-to-be stepmother, and she was a nice lady, as well.

He just didn’t know what to do.

“Myungsoo,” she said, “everything is going to work out. Don’t be scared of moving on, okay?”

Myungsoo felt tears prickle underneath his eyes. “Umma, I know we’re not close, and all, but it’s not fair. You shouldn’t have to live alone from now on.”

She smiled softly. It was her first time seeing her son so adamantly worried about her. She touched his cheek gently. “Don’t worry about me, Myungsoo-yah. I know we’re not the closest as a mother and son, but I care for you very much.”

“And I do too! That’s why I don’t want to leave you!”

“I shouldn’t have treated you so unfairly,” she said. “I suppose I was just bitter over the fact that… maybe you were the reason that your father left me.”

“The past is the past – it doesn’t matter anymore! I don’t have to go if you want me to stay.”

And in a sense, maybe he really did want his mother to want him. It would be a first to feel that kind of emotion from her – wanting, that is. He kind of wanted his mother to keep him and care for him. That was all he ever wanted from her.

But she didn’t say that. Instead, she said, “You don’t have to stay for me. Go live with your father.”

“But… but he left you!” he exclaimed, coming to terms with the inevitable truth.

“Like you said Myungsoo – the past is in the past.”

He clenched his teeth together. It wasn’t like he would be able to change anything, anyways. His father was coming over today to pick him up. All of his belongings were packed into boxes and were to be unpacked in a completely new house in the area. All the paperwork had been complete and his father was now his legal guardian instead of his mother. He was so torn about how to feel, he wasn’t even sure what he felt anymore

“But umma–!” he began.

“Don’t stay here with me,” she interrupted. “I haven’t been good to you, and there’s no guarantee that I’ll treat you better in the future. Your father will be good to you, he can provide for you and all the things I should’ve done for you and Jessica. Jessica has found her own family, Myungsoo,” she said, “it’s time that you returned to yours as well.”

“But you are my f-family!” As soon as he said it he felt guilty. The word family took a second to come out of his mouth, and he knew that the small waver had completely convinced his mother.

“I may be your mother, but I’m not your family,” she said. “I love you very much, but I can never be a good mother to you.” She tried at a soft smile. “I asked him to do this, Myungsoo. I asked him to take you in. There you’ll be provided for and you can live happily.”

Myungsoo felt uneasy – sad, even – that his mother was letting him go so easily. As much as he wanted to live with his father, he still felt that it wasn’t right. But as his mother kept explaining how it was for the best, he felt a weight be lifted off of his chest. He wasn’t happy, but he certainly wasn’t going to object anymore. More questions were asked, and more logical and full answers were given. Afterwards, Myungsoo couldn’t even think of a reason to stay behind anymore.

“Don’t think of this as goodbye forever,” she said, “because it certainly won’t be. You are my child, after all.”

The doorbell rang, and his mother walked over and opened it to reveal his father. They gave each other a small smile.

“Is Myungsoo ready?”

Myungsoo walked up behind his mother, giving his father a smile. “Yeah, I’m ready,” he said. “All of my belongings are in the garage.”

His dad grinned. “I’ll get them and pack them in the car, okay?” With that, he turned and walked towards the direction of the garage.

Myungsoo slung a backpack with other personal belongings over his shoulder. He watched as his father effortlessly packed all the boxes and bags into the trunk and back seats of his van. He turned his mother again, one last deep worry in his mind.

“…won’t you be alone?” he asked softly.

She smiled at him, her eyes twinkling lightly. She embraced him deeply and gave him a kiss on the top of his head. He was certainly surprised, because never had she expressed her affection like this before.

“Is that why you’re worried about me?” she asked him gently.

He nodded into the crook of her neck, softly embracing her back. She pat his back, chuckling softly.

“You don’t need to worry about that.” She pulled away and faced him. “I’ve found someone, Myungsoo… someone who can help me start over and become a better person. I’m going to start over, and so should you.”

With that, he felt light. Any worries about his mother had vanished, and there was no longer anything that anchored him to stay. There was a beep in the driveway, and Myungsoo’s father waved from the car.

“Let’s get going!” he called.

“I’m coming!” Myungsoo called. He slipped on his shoes and exited, turning back to smile at his mom.

“Oh, and Myungsoo,” she said. “One more thing.”

“Yes?” he asked, listening intently.

She gave him a mischievous smile. “Don’t lose your grip on that Sungyeol boy, okay? You two match well.”

He blushed a bit before waving goodbye one last time. She closed the door as he got into the van next to his father.

“So,” he said as he pulled away from the house, “who’s this Sungyeol kid?” he grinned.

 

A few days later at school, Myungsoo walked the halls by himself, feeling genuinely happy. He now shared a room with his younger brother, and they got along very well. He got along with his parents, and they were one happy family together. It also turned out that they moved to the same neighborhood as Jessica and her biological family as well. He kept in touch with his mother and found at that she found herself a boyfriend that was helping her start her life over.

And maybe there was just something more special in the air today, but he felt so much lighter and happier than normal. The only thing that he could really complain about was that Sungyeol had been talking to him less. They weren’t avoiding each other, but Sungyeol just always seemed preoccupied when Myungsoo wanted to speak with him. He had seen the other scurrying around the school like a bee in a field of flowers that whole week. And even now, in homeroom, he had rushed out as soon as the bell rang without even saying goodbye to Myungsoo.

School had just gotten out, and he was on his way to his locker to get some books before Jessica picked him up today. He passed by Dongwoo and Hoya in the halls, stopping to talk to them.

“Hi Myungsoo!” Dongwoo greeted cheerily. “How are you today?”

“I feel really great today, actually,” he responded, smiling.

Hoya grinned. “That’s awesome!”

Dongwoo and Hoya gave each other a glance that made Hoya grin wider and Dongwoo start giggling like a fool on laugh gas. They looked back at Myungsoo again, who gave them a weird look.

“Is there something you’d like to share?” he asked.

Dongwoo laughed harder, nearly jumping up and down. “Nope!” he said happily, before racing down the halls.

Hoya followed suit, chasing after him and laughing. Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. Dongwoo laughing and running down the hall? Okay, sure, that was considered normal. But Hoya? No, that was not normal at all. Something was up.

He just continued walking to his homeroom, when the three Love Club girls caught his eye. Taeyeon, Minah and Eunji looked at him and started giggling uncontrollably, waving at him.

“Good afternoon, Myungsoo~!” they squealed before skittering down the halls together.

Before he could even think about what happened, Woohyun came bouncing down the hallway, laughing happily. He took Myungsoo by the hands and spun around with him before letting go. “Good afternoon, Myungsoo~! I’ll see you later – ppyong~!” he waved and continued down the hall.

“Hi hyung!” Sungmin said as he and Sungjong bumped into him. “Nice day, isn’t it?”

Sungjong whispered something to Sungmin, who laughed and with an eye-smile he waved goodbye to Myungsoo. And just when they left, he bumped into Kris. Kris smiled at him and giggled almost. He just grinned, waved and then walked away.

Now it was getting weird.

“Myungsoo-yah!” Sunggyu called as he approached him. Even the older had a bright grin on his face.

“Hyung,” Myungsoo greeted.

“Nice day, isn’t it?” he said as he walked by. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Now he was just plain confused. Sunggyu never called a day nice. Whenever Woohyun would say it was a nice day, he would step up and say that days were just days.

Maybe everyone had taken a happy pill or something, he definitely didn’t know.

He arrived at his locker, dialing the combination and grabbing something from his bag to put back into the locker. However, as he opened it, a small piece of paper fluttered down. He placed his notebook into his locker then bent down to pick it up. He unfolded it and turned it over.

Let’s meet at the park after school today :) there’s something that I need to show you!

 He blinked and stared at it. Was this some kind of confession? Was there someone who liked him? Shrugging, he put the note into his pocket and finished getting his books. It’s not like any admirers mattered. He would have to turn them down – he was still capturing Sungyeol’s heart, after all. But he’d pay a visit. Jessica was picking him up a little late anyways.

 

“Holy mother of–!”

Myungsoo jumped as a bear appeared from behind a clump of trees and bushes. It was a bear. A flipping white bear with a pink bowtie around the neck. It obviously wasn’t a real bear – no, it was basically a gigantic life sized teddy bear. Someone was obviously inside a suit, but he didn’t bother with that since he nearly had a heart attack.

Then the bear waved at him. With his face contorted into an expression of shock, he pointed to himself and looked around. This bear seriously wasn’t waving at him, right?

But the bear nodded and pointed at him, and wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be cooperative or afraid. But in the end, he approached him slowly and noticed that the bear was holding something in his hands.

He held a small tablet, or iPad of sorts. It was just a touch screen about the width of Myungsoo’s chest. There was a little sticky-note attached to it.

‘Press play.’

Removing the note, he clicked the large play button on the screen and the black screen faded into a video of Sunggyu with an acoustic guitar riff playing in the background.

“Myungsoo?” the video said. “He’s a good kid. I like him. Definitely good enough for Sungyeol.” Sunggyu gave a thumbs-up to the camera and it cut.

The screen cut into one of Henry, who smiled and waved. “I like Myungsoo. He and Sungyeol should date soon, because we’re all waiting.”

Kris showed up in the next cut. “As hard as it is, I approve of him dating Sungyeol.”

Myungsoo started to smile. He didn’t know what it was, but there was something about it that made him light-hearted.

The video switched to Taeyeon, Eunji and Minah. The three girls squealed together before yelling out, “Myungsoo-yah! Start dating Sungyeol quickly, okay?! We’re all waiting!”

“Myungsoo-hyung.” It was Sungmin this time with Sungjong next to him. “Capture Sungyeol’s heart quickly, okay? We all believe in you.”

“Fighting!” Sungjong cheered.

Dongwoo and Hoya appeared next to each other. They stood in front of the lockers, and the camera was shaking as if it was laughing.

“Myungsoo~!” Dongwoo sang, hopping up and down. “Sungyeollie likes you too, so go and get him!” Hoya merely gave a thumbs-up and a laugh.

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. Sungyeol liked him too?

Seungyeon appeared on the screen, next to IU. “Myungsoo!” Seungyeon said. “You know our Sungyeollie likes you too, right?”

IU grinned and waved. “Good luck to both of you!”

Soojung appeared next, with Hyunwoo with her. They waved at the camera. “Hi Myungsoo! Sungyeol is making this video just for you! Be good to him!”

Sungyeol was making this video for him? He just laughed and continued looking at the screen to where Key appeared.

“I’ve seriously been putting up with you two idiots for way too long,” he said. Then he grabbed the camera, and did a close-up of his face. “Go out already!”

Myungsoo laughed out loud, and so did the bear holding the video.

Woohyun appeared next, smiling like the idiot he was. “Myungsoo-yah~! Sungyeol is so lucky to have a guy like you! I know you don’t think he appreciates you, but he totally does!”

The next clip was Sungyeol himself, smiling brightly. Myungsoo felt his smile widen as Sungyeol started speaking.

“Myungsoo, Myungsoo, Myungsoo!” he said playfully. “Hi! I hope you’re watching this right now, or this would completely embarrassing,” he laughed. “But I hope you listen closely. I know that we’ve been just friends lately, and that you’ve been suffering because of your unrequited love for me–”

“You sound conceited,” a voice behind the camera said.

“Shut up!” Sungyeol responded, smacking the camera. The clip cut and Sungyeol was sitting upright again. “Anyways I just wanted to say that… well, remember the night of homecoming, when you said that you didn’t want me to kiss you since I pitied you?” Sungyeol smiled shyly, nervously turning a shade of pink. “I guess that’s when I realized that… I didn’t pity you. I just wanted to kiss you. So that means…” he giggled nervously.

“Yah, just say it!” the voice said again. Myungsoo pinpointed the voice to be Sunggyu at that moment.

“I like you!” Sungyeol blurted out, face turning red. “Kim Myungsoo, I really, truly, honestly, genuinely like you and since I’m returning your feelings now would you, um…”

“Say it.”

“…let’s date.”

The awkward and shy Sungyeol covered his face with his hands while everyone who had appeared in the video came into view cheering and jumping up and down. Dongwoo slung an arm around Sungyeol’s neck and rocked back and forth, yelling excitedly.

“Yay!” Sunggyu’s voice said behind the camera. Then he turned the camera to face him. “Kim Myungsoo,” he said, grinning, “don’t you dare hurt him!”

And then the video cut to a black screen. Was that it? Myungsoo wasn’t disappointed in the least – in fact, he was smiling so widely his mouth might’ve stretched a few more centimeters. Now the only question was–

The screen faded again, showing Sungyeol holding up the touch screen and smiling. That’s when Myungsoo noticed that he was a big, white, fluffy bear suit. He broke out into another grin as the Sungyeol on the screen placed the bear head over his, commenting about how smelly it was. Then the screen blinked off.

“No way,” Myungsoo murmured happily as he looked up to the bear holding the touch screen. Carefully, he lifted the head and said, “Sungyeollie?”

Sungyeol’s face emerged from underneath the head, his face pink from shyness and embarrassment. “Hi, Myung,” he whispered.

Myungsoo was speechless. All he could do was form a few breathy laughs and barely string a coherent sentence. He was blubbering his happiness until he decided to capture Sungyeol into a bone-crushing hug.

“Lee Sungyeol!” he said. “You’re so stupid!”

Sungyeol backed away, pouting. “Hey! I pour out all of my affections to you by making this time-consuming video and all you can say is that I’m stupid?! We’re an official couple now, and all you do is call me stupid?! Jeez, maybe I–”

Myungsoo cut him short with a kiss, effectively shutting the other up. The other’s lips melded against his in a different way than before. A million shivers traveled up his spine and a thousand fireworks exploded in his brain. He pulled away and smiled at Sungyeol’s shocked face. Clearly, he had felt the difference, too.

“…wow…” he whispered.

Myungsoo took his face between his hands, looking him in the eyes affectionately. “You, Lee Sungyeol, are most definitely stupid.”

Sungyeol pouted and scrunched his nose. He smiled and laughed again, pecking the other’s lips.

“But you’re my stupid.”


 

A/n:

... here I am.

 

...here it is.

 

...one more chapter to go. and that's more of an epilogue thing, tbh. this is last LEGIT PLOT chapter. so yes, myungyeol are now togehter :3

 

did i make it too cheesy? i feel like i did.

oh well.

 

i'll finish the next chapter soon (a s possible ) and then I'll release my next story for you to see !! that's the plan!  and no super long author's note because i have a special author's note for the enxt ( and last ) chater~! so until then,

 

Quinnie -- OUT.