Hair Jell-o

Sungyeol the Stupid Love Doctor

“Scoot over! You’re in my way! I can’t see a thing!”

“Hey! It’s not my fault – you’re fat!”

A gasp. “You take that back!”

“Make me!”

“…You’re mean.” A pout.

A quick hug. “I’m sorry, hyung! Don’t take that to heart! I think your body is fine just the way it is!”

“…You talk too much.” Then a short blush. “Now shut up so I can hear.”

“Why are we here, again?”

Then came a disappointed sigh. “I guess you weren’t listening to me when I was rambling in the car, huh?”

“No I listened – but why are we here? As in – why are we behind this plant?”

Dongwoo shrugged as he peeked in between the leaves. “I don’t know. It was a good hiding spot!”

Hoya rolled his eyes. “Hyung, if you wanted to spy on them, you could’ve just disguised yourself and hid in the booth next to them. Did that ever occur to you?”

“Of course it did!” he cried defensively. “But Sungyeol would recognize me immediately! We can’t risk that!” he whispered venomously as he ducked behind a leaf. “Besides, this is more fun, isn’t it?” he asked, a bright grin on his face. “We’re like spies!”

“…well, considering that we’re spying on them, it would only make sense that we were spies,” Hoya said slowly.

Dongwoo gave him an annoyed pout. “Don’t ruin it for me,” he murmured.

Hoya smiled at his childishness. “Sorry, hyung,” he chuckled. He gave him a short side hug before they turned their attention back to their target.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

“But hyung,” Hoya said, “I’m not sure this is what Woohyun meant by keep an eye on them.”

Dongwoo held a finger up to his lips, shushing him. “It’s my way of doing it,” he whispered.

Hoya just smiled as he shifted in his awkward crouch. Trying to hide behind a three-foot plant with another person wasn’t exactly smart, but hey – he couldn’t really say no to Dongwoo.

After their boding time during detention, they’d become amazingly close. Hoya was astonished every time he found out that he and Dongwoo had similar tastes in something. They both liked hip-hop, they both liked dancing, they both liked rapping – they were so similar, Hoya wondered why that hadn’t been friends before. And after getting closer, Hoya found that Dongwoo was like Sungyeol in the fact that he was a bit childish and naïve. But he wasn’t as stupid as Sungyeol, that was for sure.

Hoya shook his head – Sungyeol was a true fool. He wondered how exactly he liked him before. Nowadays, he thought that he might’ve been developing a small, tiny insignificant little crush on Dongwoo.

Very small.

But Dongwoo didn’t notice – he was always busy in his own world and Hoya found it a bit cute. He thought to himself for a second.

He’d take back that other part – Dongwoo was definitely as stupid as Sungyeol to some extent.

“Jeez, I can’t tell if they’re dating or not,” Dongwoo muttered, gazing at the two. “They’re so close, yet so far. It’s kind of suffocating,” he admitted loudly. Luckily he diner was rather noisy and loud, so he wasn’t heard. But at the same time, he could barely hear them. He strained his ears to listen to their conversation.

“So, how exactly did you style your hair like that?” Sungyeol asked the younger curiously. “It’s so nicely done, but it doesn’t look greasy or anything. Usually that much product would make your hair look gross.”

“It was some quality gel,” Myungsoo nodded, touching his hair. “And I kind of like this new style – it’s less heavy on my forehead.” He looked at Sungyeol. “What do you think?”

Sungyeol grinned. “I really like it. You look a lot more handsome this way – well, to me at least.”

Myungsoo suppressed a smile. He would obviously be wearing this hairstyle more often. With his chin, he gestured towards the taller’s hair. “I like yours, too. You should wear that kind of style more often.”

“Really? It’s my first time doing my hair in waves,” he said, touching his own bangs. “Well, to be honest, Daeyeol did it for me.”

He blinked. “Who’s Daeyeol?”

“Hm? Oh – he’s my younger brother! He’s a pretty bright kid, and we have the same long limbs,” he smiled.

Myungsoo snorted. “Is he as stupid as you, also?”

“Nah, he’s smarter. He’s always studying and… hey! Did you just call me stupid?”

“You must be stupid if you only realized it now.”

Sungyeol made a face and picked up his coffee again, taking a sip from it. He’s still glaring at Myungsoo as he places the cup down and holds his chin in his hand. “You get such a kick out of teasing me, don’t you?” he smiled.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t,” Myungsoo snickered.

Sungyeol made another face. “You’re mean to me!” he accused suddenly.

He snorted. “I may be many things, Sungyeol, but I’m not mean to you.”

“But you’re always making fun of me!” he said.

“Did we not already establish that it was called teasing?” he asked, dumbfounded.

“Yeah, but your words are so harsh!”

“But I’m nice to you at the same time!”

“Oh yeah – like how?!”

“Did I not hold your hand when you were afraid of ghosts?” he asked.

“…no.”

He blinked. “Really? That never happened?”

“No.”

“Hm… must’ve imagined it,” he muttered. “Anyways! I’m not always mean to you! Look – I did this hairstyle just for you.”

“But knowing how to use jell-o doesn’t mean you’re not mean to me!” he protested.

“…what did you say?”

“What,” he said, making it sound more like a statement than a question.

“Uh, Yeol… what exactly do you mean by jell-o?” he asked.

“Jell-o,” he said, like it was obvious. “You know, the stuff you used to style your hair.”

As soon as those words left his mouth, it took all of Myungsoo to not burst into a fit of laughter because Sungyeol’s train of thought was just so precious and adorable he didn’t know what to do. He did his best to stifle his laughter, sparking interest from Sungyeol.

“What is it? What’s so funny?” he asked, clearly curious.

“Sungyeol,” he breathed out between laughs. “Y-You don’t use jell-o to style h-hair,” he snickered.

Sungyeol squinted at him. “Then what is it?”

“Jell-o is something you eat,” he laughed.

“What?! Then what’s that gross jelly thing you use to style hair?!”

“It’s c-called hair gel you fool!” he laughed ecstatically.

He furrowed his eyebrows and pouted. “Jell-o, gel – same difference!”

Myungsoo only laughed harder. “You know, it’s times like these when I wonder how the hell I fell for you and why I go through so much trouble – like putting my hair up!”

He snorted. “Well, it’s not like I told you to use hair jell-o or anything!”

Myungsoo only laughed harder, gripping the edge of the table so hard his knuckles could’ve turned white.

“Yah, Myung!” he complained. “If you’re going to laugh, could you at least– why is that plant moving?”

Myungsoo stopped laughing suddenly to look behind him to where Sungyeol was staring. A stout potted plant that was near their booth was shaking violently.

Inconspicuous!” it hissed. “Act inconspicuous!”

You can’t act inconspicuous – you just are!”

Shhh! Stop moving you’re shoving me!

With widened eyes, Sungyeol shot a dumbfounded look towards Myungsoo, who looked just as flabbergasted.

Hyung, I’m losing my balance!”

Careful – your is sticking out the other side!”

But you’re hogging all the plant space! There’s no room for my !”

Well, squeeze it in! We can’t be seen!

A pair of eyes peeked over the plant’s leaves before a hand yanked the head down.

Inconspicuous, remember?! Inconspicuous!

The ‘plant’ argued with itself for another good forty seconds before it started rustling violently. Sungyeol and Myungsoo stared at it anxiously, waiting to see what exactly was behind it.

And then, all at once, Hoya fell out from behind.

With a surprised expression on all three of their faces, Hoya stood up quickly, scratching the back of his neck.

“Oh, hi guys!” he grinned. “I, uh, didn’t know you were here!”

“What exactly were you doing behind that plant?” Sungyeol asked.

Hoya laughed nervously. “Plant? What plant?”

“Uh… that plant.”

Hoya looked around confusedly before finally ‘spotting’ said plant. “Oh, that plant!” he said, laughing. “Ah-ha, I didn’t notice it there before!”

Myungsoo and Sungyeol shared a confused glance before turning back to Hoya.

“So, why were you behind it?” Myungsoo asked, staring at him.

“Behind what?” he asked, an idiotic smile on his face.

“Behind the plant.”

“What plant?”

“…do we really need to go through this again?”

Hoya paused and then seemingly forced out a laugh. “Oh, you mean this plant right here! The one I am standing next to! The plant next to me, the one I’m standing next to… the plant right here–”

“Yes, that plant.”

“Oh! Well, you see,” he said, rubbing his forehead. “I… dropped something! Yeah… dropped something important and I was behind the plant because it’s a small something and I had to bend down close to the ground to find it!” he reasoned, looking rather proud of himself.

“So what did you drop?” Sungyeol asked curiously.

Hoya became flustered again. “I… uh, dropped… um… Dongwoo!” he declared, grabbing the other boy by the arm and yanking him up from his hiding spot. “I dropped… Dongwoo,” he finished unsurely.

Dongwoo’s eyes were wide with surprise (his cover had just been blown, after all) as he stared at Myungsoo and Sungyeol. He blinked and then flashed them a nervous smile before discreetly punching Hoya’s arm.

“Okay then,” Myungsoo said, stifling another laugh. “Assuming that what you’re telling us is all true, you dropped Dongwoo and Dongwoo was so small that you had to crawl behind the plant to look for him.”

“Yes. I mean – no! I mean… wait, what?”

Sungyeol choked back a laugh. Oh, wasn’t it just hilarious when his hyungs were trying to get out of an awkward situation?

“Here is what happened!” Dongwoo spoke up finally. “So, Hoya dropped something behind the plant and he asked me to help him find it. And then… since the space was really small, we decided to find in by doing the wheelbarrow! Uh, so he held my legs, and then I searched behind the plant! But he dropped me, and I got stuck, so he had to help me out. Yes. That is what happened.”

“And what exactly were the two of you trying to find?” Myungsoo asked.

“Hair gel–”

“–jell-o.”

Dongwoo and Hoya gave each other a quick glance of panic before simultaneously saying, “Hair jell-o.”

“Ah-ha!” Sungyeol exclaimed, looking triumphantly at Myungsoo. “I told you it was called jell-o!”

 

Long after Hoya and Dongwoo had made their awkward exit, and after Myungsoo and Sungyeol finished their brunch, the two had walked home. Well, it was more like Myungsoo was walking Sungyeol back to his home before heading home himself. When they had reached his doorstep, Sungyeol turned around to smile at him.

“I had a great time today,” he smiled. “Thanks for inviting me.”

“It’s not a problem,” he smiled back, the kitten-like grin gracing his features. “We should do it again.”

“Definitely! Just… somewhere Hoya and Dongwoo can’t find us,” Sungyeol giggled.

“That’s sounds about right,” the other chuckled, laughing with him.

Their laughter faded quickly, leaving the two of them standing in a comfortable (but still awkward) silence. They avoided each other’s gaze, looking anywhere else.

“So…” Sungyeol murmured.

“So.”

Sungyeol smiled. “Well, I really did have fun today. If we can, let’s do it again soon!”

Myungsoo smiled back. “Of course.”

He seemed to hesitate for a few seconds before leaning forward and kissing the choding. And to his surprise, Sungyeol responded. The kiss was soft and delicate, easily comparable to flower petals, but there was something about how Sungyeol’s lips moved on his that made his heart melt just a little bit more. And even though Sungyeol constantly assured himself that they were strictly friends, he felt a tiny piece of his heart crumble and float up to the skies.

Then his front door opened.

The two pushed away from each other bashfully, trying to act as if nothing at all had occurred. Both of them were tomato red and extremely flustered as Daeyeol stared at the two of them.

“…hyung,” Daeyeol said.

Sungyeol cleared his throat. “Ah, yes, Daeyeol?”

“Did I just see what I thought I saw?”

Sungyeol blinked, playing dumb. “I don’t know – what did you see?”

His baby brother glanced around with his eyes awkwardly and shook his head. “Uh, nevermind – just get inside. I need some help with homework anyways.”

Then, he turned around to go inside and Sungyeol sighed. He turned to Myungsoo. “Er, sorry I guess,” he said embarrassedly. “My brother just has the best timing.”

Myungsoo smiled. “Don’t worry about it. So, I’ll see you at school on Monday, okay?”

Sungyeol grinned. “Okay. I’ll see you then.”

With that, Sungyeol walked inside his house and shut the door behind him. After taking his shoes and sweater off, he raced towards the window, where he peeked through the curtains. Myungsoo still stood outside his house, staring up at his door with what looked like a hopeful smile on his face. Then after a light sigh, he turned around and began his walk home. Sungyeol smiled after him.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

Sungyeol nearly jumped out of his skin when he turned around to see his younger brother peering over his shoulder. “Daeyeol!” he gasped. “You nearly killed me!”

“But is he your boyfriend?” he repeated.

“No! We’re just… friends.”

Daeyeol snorted. “Friends. Really – friends that kiss?”

“…yeah.”

Another snort and Daeyeol had made his way to the kitchen, making himself a snack. “Too bad you guys aren’t dating,” he said. “You would’ve given me the most beautiful nephews and nieces because damn – that boyfriend of yours is one hot piece of man.”

And at that point, Sungyeol was sure he wanted to go die in a hole.

 

“Oh-ho, they kissed!” Dongwoo gasped, peering from behind a large shrub near Sungyeol’s house.

“Text Woohyun right now!” Hoya said beside him. “We have to tell him!”

Whipping out his lime green Samsung Galaxy, Dongwoo’s fingers ghosted across the keypad as he sent Woohyun a highly descriptive text about how Myungsoo kissed Sungyeol, and Sungyeol that responded.

Three seconds later, he got a reply.

Sungyeol responded to the kiss?! :o

- Hyun

Yeah! It was almost full-on making out! D8

- Dino-woo

But did they decide to start dating?

- Hyun

Nah – Yeol said something about staying friends earlier.

- Dino-woo

From the other side of the screen, Woohyun stared maliciously at the text, knowing the complete reason as to why they were ‘making out’ but not beyond the friend status.

Excuse me for a few moments =_=

- Hyun

Kim Sunggyu!” he barked.

 


 

A/N -- so yes. I HATH UPDATED. MUAHAHAHAHA.

Ricky; and it was fast , too! let's clap for author-nim!

/golf claps/

Me: And no one has tried to kill me or take over the A/N! YAY!

Ricky: HURRAY.

Daeyeol: Hi.

Ricky: NO o-e YOU WILL NOT KILL THE AUTHORNIM! I WILL PROTECT HER! NO ONE SHALL TAKE OVER THE A/N WHILE I AM HERE!

Me: OMG YOU'RE DAEYEOL /faints

DY&R: ...wth.

R: She just fainted.

DY: yeah. so... i guess I'll take over the A/N then while you... make sure she's alive.

Ricky:... good idea /pokes unconscious author

Daeyeol: uh... hi, everyone! Nice to see you, I guess... :) [?] I'll be filling in right now, so... yes. Filling in. But no worries -- the author happened to drop some cue cards, so I know what to say! 8D

She woud like to thank every single one of you for 555 SUBSCRIBERS & 100 UPVOTES! It really means a lot to her that people like this story enough to do this much! ^^ And for celebration, she will be writing a WooGyu oneshot! It'll be a prequel as to how they met and how they started dating :) So, look here for the forward --

FREE WOOGYU FLUFFY FEELS HERE

And yes...

OH! As Daeyeol, I'm going to answer any questions you may have about the story and/or characters! I'll answer everything based on my knowledge :) So, ask away!

Lee Daeyeol -- uh... out?

ps -- yadong wheelbarrow --