Gangsters part 13

Dark Side

Woohyun rinsed his face in the tiny, dimly lit hotel bathroom. He sighed as he rested his hands on either side of the porcelain sink and stared at his reflection in the mirror. He didn’t like what he saw. Sometimes he hated looking at himself in the mirror. It made him feel like he was staring into the eyes of his worst enemy—no, he knew that’s exactly what he was doing. And the worst part was…this was one foe he couldn’t defeat.

He gripped onto the sink bowl, clenching his jaw, swallowing down the lump in his throat. He wanted to be ok so Sunggyu wouldn’t worry about him so much. He hated burdening and worrying Sunggyu. Sunggyu already had too many things to worry about and Woohyun didn’t want to add to that long list.

He wondered if he was ever going to stop feeling guilty like this.

“I have to be strong.” He whispered to himself, staring into the dirty sink bowl. “I…I have to—.” He paused when he felt a chill behind his neck. He immediately turned around to see a faint blue mist and then nothing. He blinked, even rubbing his eyes. “What…?” He looked around. “…was that?”

“Woohyun?” He heard Sunggyu knocking at the bathroom door. “Are you…are you ok?”

Woohyun quickly wiped his face with his shirt, because he definitely didn’t trust the stained towels hanging over the toilet. He opened the door to a very worried looking Sunggyu.

“Are you ok?” Sunggyu patted his head and then retracted his hand. “Why is your hair wet?”

“Ah…I was just washing my face.” Woohyun explained, absently ruffling up his own hair.

“You weren’t crying were you?” Sunggyu frowned.

Woohyun smiled a little. “No I wasn’t. I promise.” He placed a hand over his chest.

Sunggyu tilted his head, studying Woohyun’s face as if deciding whether to believe him or not. After a moment of contemplation, he nodded and gave Woohyun’s shoulder a light, comforting squeeze.

“That Seungchul guy just called, he said he’s on his way back here.”

♦♦♦

Myungsoo was quite pleased with the two pints of ice cream he had gotten from the grocery store for rom-com movie night with Sungyeol. They hadn’t had one of those in a while because of everything that was going on, and truth be told they both could use the distraction.

He happily swung the plastic grocery bag with the ice cream as he strolled towards Sungyeol’s apartment—which was practically his home now. But he liked it. Being at work with Sungyeol and then coming home with him. Home—for the first time he felt like he had one.

However as he headed for the staircase he froze, upon seeing a figure standing there, arms crossed. Myungsoo’s first instinct was to cower weakly. His father always had that effect on him—or rather he had beaten and yelled it into him.

Myungsoo gulped, averting his gaze. “What…” He murmured. “What’re you doing here?”

His father didn’t even bother with greetings or anything and marched towards him. “Its time to quit this and come back home.”

Myungsoo stared at him wide eyed. ‘W-What?”

“While you’ve been frolicking around with that ,” Myungsoo twitched at the harsh language. “The hunters are in chaos. They’re planning a revolt against me. They’re planning to force me off the leader position.”

Myungsoo furrowed his brows, nervously, but didn’t say anything.

“This concerns you too!” Mr. Kim huffed. “Aren’t you going to take over the association when I’m gone? That’s your ing job and since you’ve been prancing around and disregarding your duties as a hunter—.”

“Y-You kicked me out!” Myungsoo stammered, voice shaky and eyes watering. “W-What duties? You basically disowned me and now you’re telling me you need me?! I-Is that…” Tears were streaming down his cheeks now. “I-Is that fair?!”

“No one ever said life was fair.” Mr. Kim replied with a stony expression, seemingly unperturbed by Myungsoo’s tears.

Myungsoo tried to walk past him up the stairs, but Mr. Kim grabbed his wrist. “Where do you think you’re going you defiant little wuss?” His voice was dark and eerie in Myungsoo ear. Suddenly a hand grabbed Mr. Kim’s arm and twisted it away from Myungsoo’s.

Myungsoo looked up, blinking tears away to see Sungyeol standing there, the angriest Myungsoo had ever seem him.

“Don’t ing touch him.” Sungyeol demanded, glaring down Mr. Kim, though Myungsoo could see his whole body trembling as he spoke. “You better leave right now before I kick your !”

Mr. Kim snorted. “Oh well if it isn’t the —.”

“Don’t talk about him that way!” Myungsoo cried. “Just…just leave me alone! I don’t understand why you—.”

“They’re trying to kill me.” Mr. Kim cut him off, creating a dark silence.

Sungyeol looked to Myungsoo then back at Mr. Kim.

“Who?”

“The hunters…” Mr. Kim averted his eyes, jaw clenched. “They…they think I’ve betrayed them—the association.”

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes. “Why do they think that?”

“Because…of my girlfriend.”

♦♦♦

“Kyungri noona,” Ilhoon was stretched out on the sofa, television remote in hand. Minwoo was sitting beside him, taking a nap. “We could use some drinks! How about some snacks—?”

“Just because I’m being forced to let you stay here doesn’t mean I’m going to cater to your needs.” Kyungri glared, before turning and looking out the glass sliding door at the dark lush forest below. Her cabin was quite high up on a hill so there was quite a grand view of the rest of the forest from above. “How long will you stay here?”

Ilhoon’s smile faded and he looked away from the television screen.

“As long as it takes…until he comes to find me.”

Kyungri folded her arms and turned to him. “Who? Kim Sunggyu?”

Ilhoon smiled a little, but didn’t say anything and looked back at the television screen.

“I don’t understand what you see in him anyways.” Kyungri muttered. “He doesn’t seem like anything special, he’s too cute looking and soft for my tastes.”

Ilhoon raised an eyebrow. “Yes because we all know your taste in men. A predator and a predator. How funny…I guess its like that old saying, birds of a feather—.”

Kyungri sneered. “Don’t talk about him.”

Ilhoon shrugged with a playful grin. “Isn’t that why you were so desperate for that potion in the first place? Want to be human for hunter oppa—?”

“I will slice your throat you puny little bastard.” Kyungri snapped. But Ilhoon just smirked and Kyungri knew she couldn’t do anything. She shot him a warning look and stomped off upstairs.

♦♦♦

Sunggyu and Woohyun stood outside the motel, waiting for Seungchul to arrive. It was dark and quite chilly, and Sunggyu noticed Woohyun shivering a bit.

“Are you cold?” Sunggyu smiled a bit and put an arm around him. Woohyun’s first instinct was to lean into him, but he was trying not to be so dependent on Sunggyu. So he pulled away slightly and averted his gaze.

“I’m fine…” He mumbled.

“Is it about what happened back in the room…?” Sunggyu bit his lip, staring at Woohyun worriedly. “Are you upset?”

“No!” Woohyun turned to him. “I wasn’t…” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I mean I was sort of disappointed but its not that…I just.” He sighed softly. Sunggyu clutched onto his hand.

“Tell me, ok?” Sunggyu was staring at him with so much concern and Woohyun felt that guilt in the pit of his stomach again.

“S-Stop it.” Woohyun pulled his hands away and stuck them in his pockets instead. “Stop being like this…stop coddling me. I’m not a baby.”

Sunggyu frowned. “What’re you talking about? I never coddled—.”

“Yes you keep doing it!” Woohyun turned to him with worried eyes. “You need to stop that! I don’t need you to protect me hyung. I don’t need you to take care of me ok? We’re equals so stop worrying so much about me and—.”

“Why are you talking like this?” Sunggyu clutched onto his arm, clearly concerned at Woohyun’s sudden demands. “…What happened? And what’s wrong with me wanting to take care of you?”

“I just told you!” Woohyun’s throat was dry as he raised his voice. “You don’t have to take care of me because we’re equals! I’m not someone you need to take care of! I’m not your family…I’m not like your mom and sister. I…I can take care of myself. I—.”

“What?” Sunggyu croaked out. “You…are you saying just because we’re not family I’m not allowed to take care of you?”

Woohyun averted his eyes. “That…I-I just mean…you keep taking care of everyone and you don’t need to do that with me—.”

“Yah.” Sunggyu tugged on his arm, forcing Woohyun to face him. “Fine you’re not family. But…” Sunggyu’s voice cracked. “I’m your boyfriend and I…I love you. Doesn’t that give me the right to care about you? Doesn’t that give me the right to worry about you?”

Woohyun’s eyes widened as he stared at Sunggyu all kinds of speechless.

“W-What?” Sunggyu suddenly became embarrassed with his declaration and averted his eyes. “S-Say something.”

Woohyun looked down, smiling weakly. “I…I don’t understand why you’re like this to me…I’m so needy and dependent on you and…I don’t deserve someone like you.”

Sunggyu wanted to scream. He wanted to yell that Woohyun was so stupid for not being able to see how much he truly deserved. He wanted to shout at him and tell him that he would give Woohyun the world if he could because Woohyun meant the world to him.

But he didn’t say any of that because at the same time he understood.

Accepting love—pure, real, genuine love…it wasn’t something easy for someone who has never really known it before—for someone who hates the person looking back at them in the mirror.

He knew it because, if not for his mother he would have been in a similar boat. Of course his situation wasn’t the same as Woohyun’s but he still understood that getting upset and angry about Woohyun being unable to understand Sunggyu’s feelings for him….well it wouldn’t help anything. Yelling and making him feel bad certainly wouldn’t make Woohyun feel any better.

“Hey…” Sunggyu took Woohyun’s hand. “Its fine ok? If…If you’re needy. Its ok to need people.”

Woohyun hesitantly met his eyes, and Sunggyu could tell he was confused.

“Its ok if you need me to help support you for a lot of things. Because you know what?” Sunggyu smiled softly. “I think...no I know there’ll be a day when you won’t need me anymore.”

Woohyun’s expression immediately turned worried. “Hyung—.”

“But,” Sunggyu interrupted him before he could say any more. “I hope that…when that day comes when you won’t need me anymore…” Sunggyu smiled a little and looked down. “…I hope you’ll still want me.”

Woohyun immediately wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s waist, nose buried into the older man’s shoulder. “Hyung…” He murmured. “I…I’ll always want you.”

Sunggyu the back of Woohyun’s head, sighing softly.

“W-What about hyung…?” Woohyun mumbled into Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Do you…?” He squeezed Sunggyu’s waist tighter as if he was afraid he would lose him if he didn’t. “Do you…want me too?”

Sunggyu cupped his cheeks, pulling back slightly so he could look Woohyun in the eyes. Then he pressed his lips to Woohyun’s, sweetly, but still firmly at the same time, like he was sure of what he was doing.

Woohyun’s arms hesitantly drifted from Sunggyu’s waist, unsure of what to do with himself. He closed his eyes, hopelessly melting into Sunggyu’s mouth. Sunggyu chuckled softly, breath grazing Woohyun’s lips.

“More than you know.” He smiled, wrapping one arm around Woohyun’s somewhat narrow waist, the other hand cupping Woohyun’s cheek, thumb grazing his cheekbone. “I want you so much…you don’t even understand dummy.”

Woohyun’s lower lip trembled, feeling a shiver rushing through his body. He placed his hands on Sunggyu’s shoulders, staring up at him, hopefully.

“I just…” He pulled away from Sunggyu’s embrace, averting his eyes. “I just want to be enough for you—.”

Sunggyu grabbed his wrist, taking a step forward when Woohyun stepped back. “And I just want you to be ok with you.” He covered Woohyun’s small, cold hand with his warmer, bigger ones, swallowing down a lump in throat. “You’re more than enough for me…I just want you to feel ok with yourself.”

Woohyun shook his head in frustration. “…W-Why? Who cares what I think! I…I’m not—.”

“What do you mean who cares?!” Sunggyu snapped. “You’re a person aren’t you? You deserve to feel good about yourself, don’t you? Don’t ing tell me you’re not important or that you don’t matter or some like that! Because you know what? You’re ignoring my feelings then since I care about you—since you matter to me!”

Woohyun didn’t say anything and looked away. “I…I’m sorry.”

Sunggyu groaned loudly. “I’m not asking you to apologize. Ugh why can’t you just understand what I’m trying to—?!”

“Understand what?!” Woohyun interrupted, tears forming at the corners of his eyes. “I-I never asked you to care about me! I-I know there’s someone better for you so why do you keep wasting your time with a piece of like me—?!”

Sunggyu didn’t want to be that kind of person again—someone who lost control and recklessly used violence. He knew it wasn’t right, but hearing Woohyun talk about himself in such a way, actually angered Sunggyu. He knew he shouldn’t have done it, but his fist was already connecting to Woohyun’s jaw, sending the younger man to the ground.

Sunggyu’s knuckles stung and he was breathing hard, the lump of regret forming in his throat.

Woohyun, unexpectedly, didn’t seem surprised at all. He just sat up on the concrete, rubbing his cheek, bangs casting a shadow over his eyes. Then he actually chuckled—not Woohyun’s silly, cute chuckle that made Sunggyu smile. This was a dark, very un-Woohyun like laugh.

“How long were you holding that in?” Woohyun muttered, remaining on the ground. “, I’m surprised you held back so long when I’m so ing annoying all the damn time.”

Sunggyu swallowed, squeezing his eyes shut in remorse.

“Woohyun…” He murmured, sternly. “Get up.”

“Why? So you can punch me again?” Woohyun sneered, hair still covering his eyes, so Sunggyu couldn’t see his face. “Pieces of belong on the ground anyways, don’t they—?”

“Stop it.” Sunggyu warned.

“Sorry I was born trash, don’t think I can stop now—. Sunggyu grabbed the collar of Woohyun’s shirt, forcefully pulling him up. He gripped tighter to Woohyun’s shirt collar, facing him head on.

“Punch me back.” Sunggyu ordered.

Woohyun’s dark eyes, widened and softened a bit. “…W-What?”

“I made a mistake. Make it even.” Sunggyu even tilted his head to the side, giving Woohyun a perfect view of his sharp, flawless jawline.

 “I-I can’t.” Woohyun’s voice got stuck in his throat and ended up coming out as a whimper. “I can’t!” He repeated, attempting to wrestle out of Sunggyu’s grip with limited success. Sunggyu pulled him in again, lips too close to Woohyun’s.

“Punch me or I’ll kiss you.”

Woohyun squeezed his eyes shut, a weak whine was his only response. He felt his chest become warmer, when Sunggyu’s soft lips caressed his own. He clutched onto the front of Sunggyu’s shirt as he felt Sunggyu’s lips on the corner of his mouth, and then pressed to his cheek. He whimpered at the slight sting when Sunggyu’s finger tips touched the skin near his jaw where he had been punched.

“Hyung…” Woohyun breathed, cautiously opened his eyes slightly.

“I’m so sorry.” Sunggyu whispered, his parted lips, moving against Woohyun’s jaw bone.

“I-I deserved it.” Woohyun murmured, squirming as he attempted to pull away.

“No you didn’t.” Sunggyu replied seriously. “I…I got too angry I should’ve never done that.” He gently rubbed his thumb across Woohyun’s chin, lips pressing to the skin below Woohyun’s ear.

“Hyung its…i-its fine.” Woohyun felt his face flush, feeling a little overwhelmed with the way Sunggyu was touching him. They were basically in public too, though no one was around the deserted parking lot and it was quite dark. He recalled the days when they first got together and Sunggyu was the one telling him not to do anything like kiss or hold hands in public.

Woohyun wasn’t sure he understood just when the tables had turned so drastically. He didn’t think Sunggyu was such a shameless person before, but a part of him really enjoyed it. It was odd because he felt less nervous when he was the one initiating a hug or anything, but when Sunggyu would pull him in to his chest or something like that, Woohyun felt like his heart was leaping ten feet into the air and butterflies were fluttering in his stomach. But it was also comforting and warm and made him actually feel loved.

It wasn’t what he should be like, he told himself. He wanted to be tough but he couldn’t help but want Sunggyu to take care of him sometimes—most of the time. To just be held in Sunggyu’s arms forever, it sounded like the best thing ever for Woohyun.

But at the same time he remembered Sunhee’s words about how Sunggyu always takes care of others. Woohyun didn’t want to be just another person Sunggyu took care of. He wanted to take care of Sunggyu too.

“Are you ok?” He felt Sunggyu’s breath in his ear, and both his arms wrap around Woohyun’s waist under his jacket.

“Um…” Woohyun blinked. “Wait, w-what’re you—?”

He shuddered as he felt Sunggyu slender fingers glide across the folds of his t-shirt, up his spine.

“You ok Woohyunnie?” Sunggyu’s voice was velvety smooth, breath warm and tantalizing along the shell of his ear.

Woohyun found himself, slipping his arms around Sunggyu’s neck and meeting his lips, rather impatiently.

He pulled Sunggyu closer to him, as he took steps backwards, until his back was pressed against the hotel building and Sunggyu’s tongue was in his mouth.

Sunggyu’s knee nudged Woohyun’s thigh, as if trying to get him to spread his legs a little bit. One hand slipped from Woohyun’s waist to haphazardly grip onto Woohyun’s firm thigh.

Woohyun groaned into Sunggyu’s mouth, as those long perfect fingers teasingly pressed against his thigh, rubbing circles through his jeans into his skin.

But then Sunggyu suddenly pulled away, breathing slowly.

Woohyun whined in disappointment. “D-Don’t stop…” He clutched onto Sunggyu’s sleeve, desperately. “Hyung…more.”

“Its my phone.” Sunggyu pulled the device out of his pocket with an apologetic look. “It might be Seungchul-sshi.”

“Oh.” Woohyun breathed, shoulders slumping in disappointment. He had basically forgotten all about the whole reason they were even there. If it were up to him, he would want to sit in bed and kiss and cuddle with Sunggyu all day and forget about everything and anybody else.

But of course, they couldn’t do that right now. They had a job to do.

Sunggyu read the text from Seungchul that said he was running late because of traffic and would be there shortly. Sunggyu kind of wondered how that was possible since the town seemed to be practically deserted.

He turned to Woohyun and lightly patted his cheek.

“After this is all over, we can go back home ok?”

Woohyun nodded reluctantly, making Sunggyu chuckle.

“And then we can book a nice hotel for the weekend and have a little vacation, ok? Just you and me.”

Woohyun’s eyes widened and his cheeks turned pink. “F-For real?!”

Sunggyu snorted. “Why? You don’t want to?”

“I-I do.” Woohyun nodded, unsurely, biting his lip. Sunggyu smiled. He thought it was kind of cute that Woohyun was thinking so seriously about it and was nervous.

“You don’t have to stress out about it silly. Its supposed to be a vacation.” He nudged Woohyun playfully. “We’ll just do whatever you feel comfortable with.”

Woohyun smiled sheepishly. “Really? So that means no punching right?” He joked and pointed to his slightly bruised jaw. Sunggyu immediately frowned.

“I-I really didn’t—.”

“Its ok, relax.” Woohyun smiled. “I was kidding. It doesn’t even hurt that much anymore.” Sunggyu watched him worriedly, and rubbed Woohyun’s cheek carefully, when Seungchul’s car pulled up.

Woohyun waited for Sunggyu to get in the car first, but then he felt that familiar chill on the back of his neck. The same as when he was in the bathroom. He clutched the back of his neck, quickly turning on his heels only to see a faint blue mist vanish into the night sky.

“…What?” He blinked. “Am I…imagining it?”

♦♦♦

The drive to the forest where Ilhoon’s supposed hide out was located was quite long. Since it was night the view wasn’t spectacular especially since it was basically just trees and more trees. Woohyun rolled the window down halfway, enjoying the feel of the cool, fresh night air against his skin.

Sunggyu had dozed off, leaning his head on Woohyun’s shoulder.

You were tired weren’t you hyung?” Woohyun watched Sunggyu’s sleeping face with a slight smile. He gently took Sunggyu’s hand in his, causing Sunggyu to murmur softly in his sleep. “Hyung, I’ll make sure to protect you—to take care of you…whatever it takes.”

♦♦♦

They arrived at the location—the foot of a series of hills covered in forestation. It was already pitch black, the tall trees only creating a looming shadow over them.

Woohyun gulped, unconsciously gripping onto Sunggyu’s sleeve. Sunggyu, who had just awoken, yawned, blinking the sleepiness from his eyes as he took in the scenery. He finally noticed Woohyun’s hands clutching to his arm and turned to him, with slight amusement.

“You ok—?”

Woohyun immediately let go and cleared his throat.

“Y-Yeah I’m fine. Don’t be scared ok hyung? I’ll fend off any bad things and protect you.” He stood in a guarding stance, scanning the area with suspicious eyes.

Sunggyu smiled a little and patted his head. “My little guardian.”

Woohyun absently leaned into Sunggyu’s hand, very much enjoying Sunggyu’s warm, gentle fingers in his hair.

But then Sunggyu noticed Seungchul still hadn’t gotten out of the car or even turned off the car engine yet.

“Seungchul-sshi—?”

“Ok I’ll pick you up in an hour. Call me if anything happens.” Seungchul called out from the driver’s seat.

“Wait!” Sunggyu frowned, his hand completely abandoning Woohyun’s head much to the chagrin of the latter. “You’re just…gonna leave us here? I thought you were coming with us?”

Seungchul snorted. “Kid, I’m the chief of my ty precinct I don’t have to do a damn thing I don’t want to. Anyways you have the tracking device’s signal locked into your phone don’t you? Well good luck. Oh yeah and take this.” He chucked a flashlight at Sunggyu, who barely managed to catch it.

Sunggyu and Woohyun were left kind of speechless and could only watch Seungchul drive off into the dark night, leaving a puff of exhaust fumes in his wake.

After the car turned the corner of the hill, they were shrouded in complete darkness. Sunggyu clicked the on button on the bulky yellow flashlight. He shined it directly at Woohyun, almost blinding him.

“Sorry.” Sunggyu chuckled, seeing Woohyun squinting until his eyes almost watered. Sunggyu directed the light downwards so they could both see each other. “So…” They both look up at the rather daunting size of the hill they had to hike up to get to Ilhoon’s hideout. “I guess we have to go up there…all the way to the top.”

Woohyun clutched onto Sunggyu’s hand, making the older man chuckle.

“Woohyun-ah—.”

“I-I’m not scared.” Woohyun stammered. “I just…I think its better so we can stick together since we can’t see well and…” He frowned when Sunggyu started the back of his head and smiling at him like he was a cute, yet pitiful child. “F-Forget it!” He pouted and let go of Sunggyu’s hand. “I’m not scared.” He repeated and even began up the hill. “You know I was just doing it for your sake hyung, because who knows what’s in these woods and if I’m not there to protect you—.”

Two steps up the hill, he managed to trip over a wayward root, and stumbled forward. Luckily Sunggyu grabbed onto his arm, saving him from falling flat on his face.

“You were saying?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

Woohyun coughed lightly. “T-Thanks but I got it from here hyung. Just stay behind me—.”

“To catch you when you fall?” Sunggyu joked.

Woohyun shot him an un-amused look however as they continued up the hill, past tall stacks of pine trees.

“You get so embarrassed these days, you used to be so shameless it was adorable.” Sunggyu sighed fondly, as they made their way careful of roots and forest debris lying around.

“Well sorry for not being shameless anymore.” Woohyun muttered.

“Mm but I like this side of Woohyunnie too.” Sunggyu replied rather cutely and ruffled up Woohyun’s hair. “Its cute.”

Woohyun almost tripped again, but this time it wasn’t because of a wayward root but his own embarrassment. He was thankful for the darkness so Sunggyu couldn’t see his flushed face.

“Hyung…” He smiled shyly to himself, fiddling with his fingers. “Thinks I’m…cute?” He murmured it too quietly that Sunggyu didn’t hear.

“Are we even going the right way?” Sunggyu shone the flashlight onto the leaf cluttered path ahead of them.

Woohyun frowned, thinking Sunggyu had ignored him. “I don’t know. You’re the one with the flashlight and the tracking device signal on your phone.”

“Ah right.” Sunggyu failed to detect the irritation in Woohyun’s voice and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He handed the flashlight to Woohyun who accidentally dropped it on his own foot. He whined in pain and knelt down to pick it up as Sunggyu studied the map on his phone.

Suddenly Woohyun heard a rustling nearby thanks to his sensitive hearing.

“Hyung!” He gasped. “I hear somethi—.”

But then his voice was muffled by a cloth as he felt an arm wrap around his neck and more muscular arms grabbed at his body, grasping hold of his legs and arms.

“Woohyun?!” Sunggyu frantically shone his phone’s light in front of him but there was no one there just a yellow flashlight on the ground.

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

Aaand Woohyun gets kidnapped again. Can anyone sense my desperation to add more fluff into this story if so I'm sorry its my natural tendency