Gangsters part 7

Dark Side

Sorry I took so long to update ><

-

It was warm…

For the first time in a while, Sunggyu woke up with Woohyun sleeping right beside him. He couldn’t remember how long it had been, but he knew he missed it dreadfully.

He watched Woohyun’s sleeping face for a moment and felt extremely guilty.

“He looks so peaceful when he sleeps…” Sunggyu thought. “To think, he can look like this, but…he holds so much inside.” He reached out a hand and lightly brushed Woohyun’s bangs out of his eyes. “He was just trying to help me, and I repaid him by punishing him and ignoring him…wow I must be the biggest ever.” Sunggyu realized. He tried his best to be quiet as he scooted closer to the younger and wrapped his arms around him.

“I’m sorry…” Sunggyu murmured quietly, before pressing his lips to Woohyun’s forehead. “I won’t hurt you like that again…I won’t make you cry again.”

He heard Woohyun sleepily mumble something into his chest and backed away slightly. “Hm?”

“S-Sunggyu…” Woohyun whined softly, gripping onto the folds of Sunggyu’s t-shirt. Sunggyu smiled, realizing Woohyun was talking in his sleep. He pulled the younger in again, and gently his hair until Woohyun was breathing peacefully again.

♦♦♦

Unfortunately, not even fifteen minutes passed until Sunggyu’s phone went off on the nightstand, immediately waking them both.

Woohyun, who’s cheek was pressed to Sunggyu’s chest, mumbled something incoherent, before sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

“I’ll get it…” Sunggyu grunted, as he sleepily rolled over to grab his phone. He pressed the phone to his ear. “…Hello?”

“Sunggyu-yah, its Mi Seon.”

Sunggyu instantly sat up, running a hand through his hair.

“He still won’t talk, and we’ll only have him until the end of the day.”

“Ilhoon?”

“Yes, we’re not allowed to keep him any longer. Would it be possible for you to come down here?” Sunggyu hesitantly glanced at Woohyun, who shot him a worried look. “He keeps asking for you…maybe you could get him to—.”

“No…” Sunggyu bit his lip, suddenly remembering something. “It’s not me…”

“What?” Mi Seon sounded confused. “But he—.”

“There’s one person…he’ll talk to that person.” Sunggyu explained. “You said you could keep him until the end of the day right?”

“Yes, but—.”

“Ok, I’ll bring that person. Keep him there until then please.”

After hanging up, he turned to Woohyun.

“What did Mi Seon noona say?” He asked.

“She said they can only keep Ilhoon there until the end of the day.” Sunggyu told him.

“Ilhoon…” Woohyun nodded. “So that’s his name huh?”

“Yeah.” Sunggyu pursed his lips, glancing at the clock. Then he turned back around and sent Woohyun a concerned look.

“He…he seems really obsessed with you.” Woohyun folded his arms. Sunggyu couldn’t help but smile slightly at seeing a little of the old Woohyun coming back.

“Not really—.”

“He bragged about touching your .” Woohyun snorted.

“What?” Sunggyu choked. “He never did that!”

Woohyun shrugged, thought his expression was bitter. “Well that’s what he kept saying.”

Sunggyu tilted his head, amusedly. “Does that make you jealous or something?” He chuckled. “Want to touch it too?”

“That’s not funny.” Woohyun shot him a dead-serious look.

“Ok, ok…” Sunggyu sighed, his smile fading. “But he wasn’t always like that…he was a good kid. That’s why I followed him—became a part of his gang…”

“Then what happened?”

“He only started getting like this, after a certain person left.”

“A certain person?” Woohyun blinked. “Who?”

“The only person who could ever make him truly happy.” Sunggyu explained and pulled the blanket off his lap. “And we—we’re gonna have to find that person.”

♦♦♦

“So, this person…was what exactly to Ilhoon?” Woohyun asked, as he watched the dismal view outside the moving car. The sky was a depressing gray as if it would rain soon. It made Woohyun nervous for some reason.

“I don’t know.” Sunggyu admitted. “No one really knew…well I mean I guess except for the two of them. All I knew is that, that person was really special to Ilhoon.” Then he placed a hand over Woohyun’s on the arm rest. “Sort of like how you are to me.”

Woohyun smiled slightly, instantly feeling warm at the light tough. “So, they were lovers?”

“Like I said no one knew for sure.” Sunggyu continued, keeping his gaze in front of him as he drove. “But that’s for sure when Ilhoon changed…after that person left.”

Woohyun nodded. “So…you really think this person can get Ilhoon to talk?”

“I hope so.” Sunggyu sighed. “Because if this doesn’t work…I mean I guess I can try, but—.”

“No.” Woohyun murmured, and then averted his eyes.

“It’s ok.” Sunggyu squeezed Woohyun’s hand gently. “There’ll be others there too. I won’t be alone. He can’t hurt me or—.”

“I-I know, but still…” Woohyun bit his lip. “I just…have this bad feeling.”

“Bad feeling?” Sunggyu felt Woohyun’s hand tremble under his.

“I don’t know…it’s probably nothing.” Woohyun murmured. He looked up when Sunggyu suddenly turned the car around. “What…? Hyung what are you—?”

“This was a bad idea…forcing you to come with me. You need to stay home and rest…and recover.”

“I am recovered!” Woohyun exclaimed, raising his arm up as if to prove it. “See? It doesn’t even hurt or—.”

“I’m not talking physically.” Sunggyu interrupted, pulling the car onto the side of the road, and turning to Woohyun. “I’m talking about emotionally…” He looked down. “Because of me, you’ve gone through a lot this past week. You should really be in bed, sleeping, or relaxing and watching some television or something—.”

“How am I supposed to relax and watch TV when you’re out there by yourself?” Woohyun frowned. “I have to come with you.”

“I can protect myself—.”

“I know that!” Woohyun blurted out, startling the older slightly. “I know you can, but I need to be there. In case…in case the slightest thing happens…” He looked into Sunggyu’s eyes with worry. “If I sit at home, you know I won’t be able to relax.” Sunggyu sighed, realizing how true that was.

“Ok…” Sunggyu nodded.

“Besides, how do you expect me to sleep without you?” Sunggyu laughed, even though the look on Woohyun’s face was quite serious. “You know I barely slept this past week? I was scared you were going to wake me up and kick me out in the middle of the night…” Woohyun looked down with a sad smile, and Sunggyu felt his heart drop. “Tell me you finally had enough of me…”

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu realized that his actions had left a deeper scar on Woohyun than the ones all over his body.

“I guess…” Woohyun chuckled softly. “I’m just really hopeless without you hyung. Sorry.”

“No,” Sunggyu shook his head. “Stop saying sorry to me. I…I should be the one who—.”

“But you were right.” Woohyun looked out the window. “About everything…I was being irresponsible and selfish. I was only thinking about getting revenge on the people who dared to touch you. I just hated that I couldn’t do anything about it…that I’m so useless sometimes.” Woohyun turned to Sunggyu and nodded decisively. “But from now on, I’ll try to be more useful to you, hyung—.”

“Yah, this isn’t a relationship where you have to be useful to me.” Sunggyu sighed. “Useful, or useless…those things don’t exist with us, ok? The only thing I need you to do for me is love.” Sunggyu cleared his throat, feeling embarrassed to say such things, but at the same time he felt like they needed to be said. “Love me and love yourself, ok?”

Woohyun blinked. “Hyung—.”

“And…I know it’s hard to love yourself right now, but that’s ok, b-because I’ll do it until you can. Well, I mean I won’t stop loving you even when you finally can love yourself and—aish you get what I mean right?” Sunggyu stammered, averting his eyes to avoid Woohyun’s smile.

“Hyung, you—.”

“I know! I’m the best right?” Sunggyu folded his arms.

Woohyun chuckled. “Thank you.”

Sunggyu pouted, turning to Woohyun. “Yah, I don’t want a thanks.” He gestured to his cheek.

“What?” Woohyun looked away awkwardly. “I-I don’t get it. Let’s go hyung.”

Sunggyu frowned, still pointing to his cheek. “Not until I get my real thanks.” Woohyun was still hesitant about certain things after their fight, including skinship, so Sunggyu figured he had to be the one to encourage and initiate it. He cupped Woohyun’s cheeks and pulled him closer. “Woohyunnie—.”

“Hyung,” Woohyun turned his head slightly. “L-Let’s not do this now—.”

But Sunggyu interrupted him with his mouth. Woohyun instantly gave in, letting Sunggyu’s lips move against his own, before parting his lips slightly, as Sunggyu pressed closer. Woohyun reached his hands up to touch Sunggyu’s face. But the moment his finger tips grazed Sunggyu’s skin, there was an almost static shock. Woohyun instantly squeaked at the slight pain and Sunggyu backed away.

“W-Woohyun…?” Sunggyu’s eyes widened upon seeing the tears threatening to form in Woohyun’s eyes. “What’s wrong?” He gently brushed his fingertips across Woohyun’s cheekbones. “Are you ok? What happened?”

“S-Sorry…” Woohyun managed to splutter out, hastily wiping his eyes.

Sunggyu frowned, gently the younger’s hair. “Was I too much? I—.”

“No!” Woohyun looked up at him and nodded quickly. “No…I…I don’t know. It’s just…” He clutched onto his chest with one hand as he studied the palm of his other hand. “It hurts…I don’t know why, but…it hurts.”

Sunggyu studied Woohyun’s conflicted expression. He was starting to think that Ilhoon and his gang did more to Woohyun than give him a few physical scars and injuries.

♦♦♦

Sunggyu finally pulled into the parking lot of a grocery store and parked near the entrance.

“Why are we here?” Woohyun looked out the window.

“You stay here.” Sunggyu told him, unhooking his seatbelt. “I’ll just go in and—.”

“No!” Woohyun gripped onto his arm. But then he felt that stinging spark again and instantly pulled away. Sunggyu noticed his strange reaction.

“Woohyun, are you—?”

“I’m fine. Go.” Woohyun folded his hands in his lap, and looked out the window. When Sunggyu didn’t budge, Woohyun turned to him, flashing him a reassuring smile. “You told me to wait here right hyung? I’ll wait. You go and don’t forget to buy me a snack.”

Sunggyu still seemed skeptical, but nodded. “Ok, if you need anything, just call me ok?” He ruffled up Woohyun’s hair, before getting out and heading inside the store.

As soon as Sunggyu was out of sight, Woohyun heaved a sigh, staring down at his open palms.

Why…why does it hurt when I…?”

♦♦♦

Sunggyu stuck his hands in his pockets, as he walked down the snack foods aisle of the grocery store. He was still worried about Woohyun and his peculiar actions earlier.

“I should have made him stay home…” He bit his lip. He was so consumed in his thoughts that he didn’t pay attention to where he was going. He ended up almost crashing into a store employee.

“Whoops, are you ok?” The handsome young man, donned in a green apron, smiled, his eyes turning to crescents.

“Ah, yes. Sorry.” Sunggyu nodded slightly, and continued on his way. But then he stopped, when realization hit him. “Ah, you…” He rushed after the man who was lugging a box of produce. He stopped and turned as Sunggyu caught up to him. “You….Hyunsik-ah?”

“Hm?” The man blinked for a moment, until he seemed to remember as well. “…Sunggyu hyung?”

“Oh thank god you still work here.” Sunggyu breathed a sigh of relief. “Look, I really need to talk to you.”

Hyunsik’s smile faded, and a rather uneasy expression replaced it.

“…What about?”

Sunggyu met his gaze, knowingly. “I think you know. Ilhoon—.”

“I’m sorry hyung, I can’t—.”

“Hyunsik-ah.” Sunggyu gripped onto the younger man’s arm. “Please. He’s gotten worse. He seriously hurt someone really important to me. He’ll be released soon, and you’re the only one who can get him to explain why he’s doing all this—.”

“That’s not true.” Hyunsik smiled sadly, staring at the floor. “You’re more than capable of doing that yourself. He’ll listen to you—.”

“No he won’t.” Sunggyu interrupted, determination practically seeping from his pores. “You’re the only one—.”

“I’m done with that life hyung...we all are.” Hyunsik brushed him off, continuing with his cardboard box filled with cabbage.

“Yah!” Sunggyu followed after him. “You think I wasn’t as well?” Hyunsik put down the box, averting his eyes silently. “I left for good…but he wouldn’t let me go and he...” Sunggyu’s voice cracked a little, as he gripped onto Hyunsik’s shirt. “Do you know what he did to my Woo—.” He cleared his throat. “My friend…he kidnapped him and he tortured him. I think he did worse even.”

Hyunsik’s eyes widened. “Your friend…is he ok—?”

“He’s—.”

“Hyung!”

Sunggyu turned to see Woohyun jogging towards them.

“Yah.” Sunggyu frowned. “I told you to wait in the car.”

“You were taking too long and I got impatient.” Woohyun flashed him a grin, before taking in the handsome stranger. “Who’re you?” He practically sneered.

“Be good.” Sunggyu sighed. “This is the guy I was telling you about. The one who can make Ilhoon talk.”

“No, I…I can’t. I’m sorry.” Hyunsik shook his head.

“Hyunsik-ah…” Sunggyu tried to stop him, but Hyunsik had already turned and hastily left. Sunggyu heaved a sigh, turning to Woohyun. “We’ll just have to—.”

But Woohyun didn’t bother to let him finish and charged after Hyunsik. He reached out, grabbing onto the other man’s arm. But he immediately retracted his hand the moment his skin came into contact with Hyunsik’s, feeling the burning sensation under his finger tips again.

Hyunsik turned around, frowning at him.

“I’m sorry, but I won’t do it. Please don’t bother me about this again.” He stated, sorrowfully, before continuing on his way. Woohyun could only stand there, staring at his stinging hand.

It’s…not just with Gyu hyung…?” His palm still felt hot, as if he had touched a searing pan.

Sunggyu finally caught up to him. “Yah you idiot, don’t just run off. Could you listen to me properly for once…?” He trailed off, noticing Woohyun staring silently at his own hand. “Woohyun…? What’s wrong?” He gripped onto the younger’s hand. Woohyun panicked and tried to pull away, afraid the same thing might happen again. But to his surprise, nothing happened. And in fact, before he knew it the burning sensation was gone and his hand fell to a comfortable temperature again.

“W-What?” Woohyun uttered, eyes darting from Sunggyu to his hand.

“Woohyun-ah…” Sunggyu’s brows furrowed. “If something’s wrong, please tell me—.” He reached out for him, but Woohyun intercepted and gripped onto Sunggyu’s wrist instead. And then the burning pain scorched his hand again, causing him to wince and retract his hand. Sunggyu however was completely confused by Woohyun’s strange behavior. But he was really worried. Just like he had sensed, Ilhoon had done something else to Woohyun. “Woohyun—.”

“I-Its fine.” Woohyun blurted out, and then laughed weakly. “I-I’m just hungry I guess—.”

“Stop lying!” Sunggyu cut him off, oblivious of the stares he was receiving from passing customers. He almost felt insulted that Woohyun was actually attempting to make it seem like everything was fine. “You really think I’m that stupid? You think I’m blind?” He was angrily charging towards Woohyun now, though the younger was only backing away nervously.

“S-Stop hyung….” Woohyun almost whispered, after Sunggyu had managed to corner him between a cart. “People are staring….”

Sunggyu pulled back, and stopped to look around. After realizing Woohyun was right, he heaved a sigh and backed off.

“Fine, let’s go.” He muttered, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking off.