Family Ties part 2

Dark Side

 “So what exactly are we dealing with here?”

“…I don’t know.”

“What?!” Sunggyu gasped, and turned to Woohyun. “You don’t know?”

“…Drive to my house…”

“Woohyun…you want to tell me what’s going on?” Sunggyu made a left turn onto a darkened street.

“Remember with the Bogeyman case, Mi Seon noona said that since the Bogeyman is locked up, he sends his relatives to do his dirty work?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, I’m kind of infamous among trouble making supernatural creatures…as the guy who put their relatives or friends in jail.” Woohyun explained. “Every so often, they come after me in hordes to take revenge on me.”

“So this happens often then?!”

“That’s why…that creepy mansion…it’s like that.” Woohyun admitted. “The chainsaw, the rope, the chains, all of that stuff in the front porch is to fend them off.”

“Oh…well that’s kind of a relief to be honest.” Sunggyu said.

“Why? What’d you think that stuff was for?” Woohyun grinned. “You thought I was some crazy chainsaw wielding murderer or something?”

“How was I supposed to know what you do in your private time back then?” Sunggyu shrugged innocently. “So is that why the inside of your house is all empty? And the broken glass…”

“Yeah…after attacking me, they used to rampage through my house and even stole my stuff, so I had to put everything in boxes, with seals, so they couldn’t get to them.” Woohyun said. “And the broken glass…is actually shattered mirrors.”

“But why do you have all those mirrors?”

“I thought they would be handy to be able see over my shoulder.” Woohyun said. “In case a monster got in and snuck up on me or something…also to look out for the demon…she used to appear whenever she felt like it…”

“…This really shows that you can’t judge people…”

“What do you mean?”

 “When I first saw your house, I thought…” Sunggyu sighed, embarrassedly. “I thought you were some messy egomaniac creep who liked to have with random girls in the middle of the day.”

Woohyun burst out laughing, and Sunggyu stared at him shocked. “W-Why’re you laughing?!”

“Because…that’s so…did you really think that?” Woohyun chuckled.

“I-I don’t know!” Sunggyu pouted. “It’s not like I knew anything about you back then…”

Woohyun smile faded. “Yeah I guess not…”

Sunggyu noticed Woohyun’s mood go down. “Well it not like that anymore right?” He reached out and patted Woohyun’s thigh.

“Yeah…” Woohyun nodded. “But hyung…there’s a reason I didn’t tell you about this for so long…” They had reached the mansion, and Sunggyu parked across the street, and turned off the car. “I don’t want you to get hurt hyung…”

“Woohyun—.”

“This’ll be really dangerous. Most of the time I can’t handle them all on my own…my scars…a lot of them are from fights like these…” Woohyun admitted. “The last thing I want is to put you in danger, but…” Woohyun paused. “But…I…I don’t want to face them alone.” Woohyun looked down and swallowed his voice shaky. “It’s scary…it’s really...I know it’s not fair to ask this of you…but can you please… not leave?”

Sunggyu put a hand on Woohyun’s shoulder. “I’m not going to leave you alone ok?”

Woohyun looked up. “You don’t even have to fight, just wait for me beside the car or—.”

“I’m coming with you.” Sunggyu interrupted. “I’m fighting with you. And if they beat the out of us, then we’ll go to the hospital together. I’ll even make sure we get beds next to each other at the hospital.”

Woohyun grinned slightly. “Hyung…”

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu stated, full of conviction. “I’m going to do whatever it takes to make you understand that I’m not going to leave you. And if that means getting beat up in a creepy mansion by vengeful monsters, then that’s what I’ll do.” Sunggyu couldn’t see that well in the dark, but felt Woohyun’s hand squeeze his own, and heard a slight sniffle. “Hey…are you ok?”

“Y-yeah…” Woohyun wiped his nose with his sleeve, tears spilling from his eyes. “I-I just…” He gripped Sunggyu’s hand tighter. “Thank you.”

♦♦♦

The moment they stepped on the porch, there was an inhumanly piercing screech in the distance.

“W-what was that?” Sunggyu gasped.

“Probably a banshee…” Woohyun murmured, as he fumbled with his keys.

“A what?”

“A female spirit…she makes that sound when someone nearby is going to die…”

“Oh…” Sunggyu nodded, nervously.

Woohyun pushed the wooden front door open. “Don’t worry hyung…we’re not the ones who are going to die.” He grabbed the chainsaw from the porch before heading inside with Sunggyu following behind him.

“Uh Woohyun…what’s that?” Sunggyu pointed to a pair of red eyes peeking out from the kitchen.

“Just ignore it.” Woohyun told him, and headed up stairs.

Sunggyu was about to follow him when the red eyed thing started running towards him at top speed. It was like a giant black hairy ball with eyes and claws.

“Holy !” Sunggyu swore and ran up the stairs. The red eyed creature stopped at the bottom of the stairs, hissed and sat down, waiting for Sunggyu to come back down. Sunggyu eyed it nervously, then looked around for Woohyun, who was no where to be seen. “Woohyun!” He called out as he stumbled on the shattered mirror pieces all over the floor, across the dimly lit hallway on the second floor. “Where are you?!”

He was getting anxious now. It was quiet. Too quiet.

“Woohyun stop it!” Sunggyu whined. “It’s not funny!” He hesitantly opened one of the many closed doors, and peered inside. It was dusty, dirty, and empty, much like the rest of the house. He closed the door and tried for the next one, when, he felt arms wrap around his waist, and Woohyun whisper in his ear, “Boo.”

“Ya!” Sunggyu shoved him away. “What the hell?! That’s not funny idiot!”

“Sorry hyung.” Woohyun laughed. “It was just so cute how you were running around like that, and I think that’s the biggest I’ve ever seen your eyes get.”

“You .” Sunggyu scowled at him. “This place is seriously creepy! How did you even sleep here at night?”

“To be honest…not that well.”

“Oh…sorry.” Sunggyu frowned.

“That’s what sleeping pills are for.” Woohyun smiled slightly. “Besides, I’ve been getting the best sleep I’ve had in years on your mom’s couch.”

Sunggyu patted Woohyun on the head, feeling bad for him, for having to live in such a place for so long. Woohyun looked up at him as if he wanted to say something more, but then they heard foot steps coming from downstairs.

“Is that them?!” Sunggyu gasped.

Woohyun paused, his eyes narrowed. “No…I don’t think so.”

“What? But then who—?” Woohyun clamped his hand over Sunggyu’s mouth. Sunggyu gave him a questioning look, before turning to look at what Woohyun seemed to be so concerned about. He spotted an average looking man who appeared to be in his late twenties standing there, in a grey blazer, blue shirt and khakis. The man looked up at them, and Woohyun immediately released Sunggyu, and folded his hands obediently.

“Ah Woohyunnie, there you are!” The man smiled. Sunggyu turned to Woohyun.

“Who is that Woohyun?”

“Uh…” Woohyun avoided Sunggyu’s gaze. “I-It’s…”

“Ya! Why don’t you come down here and greet me!” The man grinned. “We haven’t seen each other for so long, the least you could do is give me a hug!”

Woohyun nodded and headed down the stairs dutifully, with Sunggyu cautiously following behind him. The man beamed and pulled Woohyun in for a hug. “You don’t know how much I missed you Woohyunnie~” He was hugging Woohyun, but he was staring straight at Sunggyu, with a warning glare.

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu grabbed Woohyun’s arm and pulled him away protectively, all while keeping a watchful eye on the mysterious stranger. “Who is this? Is he a demon or…?”

“That’s hilarious!” The man laughed loudly. “A demon?! Woohyun, who is this guy?”

“I’m his friend.” Sunggyu glared, still holding onto Woohyun’s arm. “Who the hell are you?”

“Friend? Woohyun you made a friend?” The man gasped.

“Yes, his friend!” Sunggyu frowned. “Why are you making it sound like such a shocking thing?!”

Woohyun smiled slightly at Sunggyu and reached up to remove Sunggyu’s grip on his arm. “Hyung its ok—”

“No its not! First that demon and now this guy!” Sunggyu exclaimed. “I don’t want anyone saying anything bad to you like that ever again!”

“Jeez take it easy man!” The man sighed. “I was just—.”

“Take it easy?” Sunggyu stepped closer to the man, with a threatening glare. “You have no idea about what this kid has been through so don’t you dare tell me to ‘take it easy.’ I won’t let anyone get away with putting him down or—.”

“Hey listen you little punk!” The man pointed a finger at Sunggyu. “I think I know him a little better than you, considering I’m his brother!”

“Well that’s—!” Sunggyu paused. “Wait did you say brother?”

“Hyung, this is my older brother, Boohyun…”

“Brother?” Sunggyu looked at Woohyun. “You didn’t tell me you had a brother.”

“Guess you don’t know him as well as you thought huh?” Boohyun snorted.

Sunggyu figured there must be a reason why Woohyun didn’t tell him. He glanced at Woohyun whose head had been slightly lowered, ever since Boohyun appeared. “Woohyun where’d you find rude friends like this?” Boohyun sighed. “You seriously have a crappy sense of judgment. You should just come live with me. I really don’t understand why you’re still insisting on staying in this graveyard.”

“Hyung—.”

“Then you wouldn’t be associating with….” Boohyun eyed Sunggyu disapprovingly. “People like this…”

Sunggyu was about to speak up, but Woohyun beat him to it.

“Stop it Boohyun hyung.” Woohyun eyed Boohyun with a serious expression. “You can say whatever you want about me, and my life choices, but don’t you dare look down on Sunggyu hyung. He’s a very important and precious person to me, so I won’t forgive you if you degrade him in anyway.” Sunggyu stared at Woohyun, impressed.

Boohyun, however just chuckled and ruffled Woohyun’s hair. “Aigoo, this cute kid, trying to look all serious and stuff.”

“I am serious.” Woohyun frowned. “I don’t want you to insult Gyu hyung.”

“Ok, whatever you say~” Boohyun nodded with an amused smile. Woohyun was about to respond, but stopped himself, his eyes going wide.

“It’s here!” Woohyun said, turning to Sunggyu.

“What is…?” Sunggyu was about to ask, when he heard it too.

The sound of stomping feet coming from outside, getting closer and closer.

“Oh don’t tell me you’re still dealing with those monsters!” Boohyun sighed. “What’s taking you so long? Just kill them all already!”

“I can’t do that!” Woohyun shouted. “I’m not like you hyung!”

“Don’t be stupid Woohyun!” Boohyun warned, grabbing onto the collar of Woohyun’s shirt. “Don’t you remember what happened to mom and dad?!

“How the hell could I forget that?!” Woohyun yelled. “Why do you think I’ve been holding onto this place for so long?!”

“Then?! Do you want to end up like that too?!” Boohyun shouted. “Getting killed by those…those disgusting monsters?!”

“Don’t say that hyung! They’re not all like that!” Woohyun exclaimed. “Don’t you even remember what mom and dad always tried to do?! They were SC officers! They also believed that not all creatures are bad!”

“Oh so you’re saying that it was mom and dad’s fault that those demons killed them?!”

“I’m not saying that!”

“Then what the hell are you trying to say because I don’t—!”

“Uh…maybe you guys can sort this out later?” Sunggyu suggested, the sound of something heavy stomping, coming closer.

“Gyu hyung’s right.”

“Fine, we’ll talk about this later.” Boohyun sighed, and peeled off his blazer. “Anyways, what are we dealing with? Is it those monsters that always come for revenge?”

“Yeah…probably.” Woohyun nodded, and then turned to Sunggyu, and gave him an apologetic look.

“Tell me about it later ok?” Sunggyu patted him lightly on the shoulder.

Woohyun sent him a small grateful smile in return before heading to the front door. The moment they stepped outside, they saw an eight foot tall bulky creature, heading towards them. Sunggyu noticed it only had one big bulging eye.

“A Cyclops…” Woohyun murmured.

“I’m here for Nam Woohyun!” The tan monster announced, in a low booming voice. He was dressed in nothing but brown pants that were frayed at the ends. He cracked his knuckles then pointed at Boohyun. “Was it you? The one who put my lovely Nancy in jail?!”

Sunggyu blinked. “Nancy? Who the hell’s Nancy?”

“Nancy is my girlfriend!” The monster shrieked. “Nam Woohyun arrested Nancy and her sister, Hana a few weeks ago! I’m here for revenge!”

“Wait…you mean the bogeyman’s twin sisters?!” Sunggyu asked.

“Yes!” The Cyclops replied. “My beautiful Nancy won’t be able to survive in prison! She’ll get bullied!”

“…Uh, have you seen her?” Sunggyu snorted. “I think she’ll be fine…”

“Who the hell are you to say anything?!” The Cyclops pointed a stubby sausage sized finger at Sunggyu. “What do you know of my lady, Nancy!?”

“Lady?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “Are we really talking about the same Nancy?”

“Hyung…” Woohyun sighed and put a hand on Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Just let it go…”

“But has he seen her?” Sunggyu pressed on. “Lady isn’t the first word that comes to mind when I—.”

“Ya!” The Cyclops growled at Sunggyu. “You must be Nam Woohyun! Come here so I can beat your stupid little rodent face in!”

“Rodent?” Sunggyu frowned.

I’m Nam Woohyun.” Woohyun stepped forward. “And Gyu hyung doesn’t have a rodent face! He has a hamster face!”

“But aren’t hamsters a part of the rodent family?” The Cyclops questioned.

“Oh yeah…” Woohyun blinked.

“You’re not the brightest of stars are you?” The Cyclops sighed, giving Woohyun a pitiful look. “You know you really should try crossword puzzles. That’s what I’ve been doing lately, and I think it’s been helping my processing speed.”

“Oh really?” Woohyun asked, with a fascinated expression. “I’ve heard sudoku was also good.”

“Oh I just adore sudoku!” The Cyclops gushed. “Jigsaw puzzles are also—.”

“What did you even come here for anyways?” Boohyun interrupted the puzzles talk.

“Oh…right….” The Cyclops nodded, “Uh…what was it again?”

“You know I really can’t remember.” Sunggyu nudged Woohyun.

“Me neither.” Woohyun grinned. “You should go home and sleep on it. Maybe you’ll remember in the morning.”

The Cyclops mulled this over for a moment. “Hm…you think?”

“Oh yeah…totally.” Woohyun assured him.

“Wow…this is awkward.” The Cyclops giggled sheepishly. “I’m sorry about this guys…I really am.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Sunggyu said.

“Well thanks for the help.” The Cyclops smiled gratefully, and turned to leave. 

♦♦♦

“I feel bad for Nancy for having such a stupid boyfriend.” Sunggyu grinned, as he and Woohyun sat on the curb outside the mansion.

“I know right?” Woohyun laughed. “I can’t believe he said you had a rodent face.”

Sunggyu pouted. “What does that even mean?”

“I think he just meant your face is cute.” Woohyun commented casually.

“I don’t even know if I should be flattered or what…” Sunggyu sighed. “Anyways…where’d your brother go?”

“He just wanted to get some of our parent’s stuff from the house.” Woohyun said.

“Your parents…they used to live here?”

Woohyun nodded, eyes glancing down at the concrete. “They used to be highly decorated SC officers…I guess you could say it’s the family business.” Woohyun explained. “That demon that used to follow me around…her family was really dangerous. They were responsible for one of the biggest supernatural crime syndicates in the country. My parents were the ones who were investigating them, but…” Woohyun picked up a tiny twig and dragged it across the asphalt. “Everyone told them it was too dangerous to take down the whole conglomerate at once, but my parents were pretty stubborn. They knew that if they didn’t stop them right away, those demons would just continue killing. They knew they were risking their own lives…you see, exorcising one demon is strenuous enough…imagine attempting to handle hundreds at one time?”

“So…why did you let that demon girl follow you around then?” Sunggyu asked. “If her family was that bad?”

Woohyun shrugged. “Honestly…I was just a kid when it all happened…and so was she. I felt bad for her…and maybe I kind of felt like we were in the same boat, what with both of us losing our families…” Sunggyu nodded in response. “But I was so wrong…I thought maybe we could be friends…that she would be a little grateful or something, but instead she hated me because my parents killed hers.” Woohyun sighed, and leaned his arms on his knees. “Now that I think about it…that was really stupid. Boohyun hyung was always yelling at me to exorcise her, but I never listened. I begged him not to…I guess I was just scared that if I didn’t have her…”

“You’d be alone?” Sunggyu finished for him. Woohyun looked at Sunggyu for a moment before nodding slowly.

“Yeah…” Woohyun looked up at the starry night sky. “But you know what I realized after being with you?” Woohyun turned to Sunggyu and smiled. “That there’s a third option. Besides being treated like crap, or being alone…there’s something else. Something better.”

“I helped you realize that?” Sunggyu smiled slightly. “Wow…I’m awesome.” They both laughed as Woohyun shoved Sunggyu lightly.

Boohyun watched them silently from the front door. It had been a while since he had seen Woohyun smile like that…since he had seen Woohyun that…happy. He wondered who this new friend was, and decided he should get to know him better.

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

Not the action packed chapter you guys were expecting was it? Sorry XD

Anyways...Myungyeol arc coming up soon!

Don't even ask how that stupid cyclops had anything to do with the blackout at Sunggyu's sister's house or why that banshee screamed since no one died...Idk ok. So many plot holes...