Gangsters part 8

Dark Side

“Don’t be mad…Don’t hate me.”

That was the look Woohyun was giving him as they both got into the car.

It was so painfully obvious without words that Sunggyu almost wanted to laugh.

“I’m not mad.” He sighed, causing Woohyun to nervously look up. “I’m just…why can’t you tell me things?” He ran a hand through his hair.

“I’m…trying.” Woohyun murmured, eyes cast downwards into his lap. “I don’t know what’s wrong enough to explain it.”

Sunggyu turned to him, staring him down. “Try.”

Woohyun pursed his lips, fiddling with his fingers. “When I touch…it hurts.”

“What?”

“I thought it was just you, but…just now, it hurt when I touched that other guy.”

“What do you mean it hurts?”

“It…” Woohyun stared at his open palm. “Like it burns.”

“Wait,” Sunggyu’s eyes widened, guilt suddenly engulfing him. “So all this time when I was touching you—.”

“No!” Woohyun turned to him. “For some reason…it doesn’t hurt then. But if I try to…I don’t know. I’m really confused. I don’t even understand how this happened—.”

“I think I do.” Sunggyu stated and Woohyun’s eyes immediately met his gaze. “Do you remember if Ilhoon injected something into you, or fed you some strange concoction?”

Woohyun nodded. “It could have been when I was unconscious.”

“It must’ve been…maybe the effects are only showing up now?” Sunggyu bit his lip, hands gripping the steering wheel. “I think they’ve been mixing with magic or something supernatural. No they definitely have if that headless horseman was a sign…”

“What…what should we do then?” Woohyun murmured. He kept his gaze down, as if he already knew the answer.

“We have to talk to him—I have to talk to him.” Sunggyu stated. “Ilhoon—.” Sunggyu noticed Woohyun clenching his fists, and gently placed his hands over Woohyun’s fists.

“I…I hate this…” Woohyun muttered, his voice trembling.

Sunggyu sighed, softly, “Me too.”

♦♦♦

“Two coffees, and by the way I’m not your guys’ personal assistant.” Sungjong folded his arms after placing two coffee cups on Sungyeol’s desk. Sungyeol and Myungsoo exchanged a humored grin.

“Did you see him?” Sungyeol asked Sungjong.

“Who? The gangster kid who’s obsessed with Sunggyu hyung?”

Sungyeol and Myungsoo both chuckled. “Yeah, him.”

Sungjong snorted and grabbed a chair for himself. “Why is he so obsessed anyways?”

“I think Sunggyu hyung used to be in his gang or something.” Myungsoo piped up. Sungyeol and Sungjong both immediately turned to him.

“Gang?”

Myungsoo nodded nonchalantly, taking a sip of his coffee. “Yeah. Sunggyu hyung’s gang.”

“Wait, hold up.” Sungyeol gripped onto his wrist. “Sunggyu hyung was in a gang? He was a gangster?”

“Wasn’t it obvious?” Myungsoo blinked. “A guy like that couldn’t just be an average citizen.”

“Well I mean I knew there was something about him, but…” Sungyeol tilted his head, pondering what had been said.

“Now that I think about it, you’re right.” Sungjong nodded. “I mean it seems like he had a past.”

“Well he’s not a baby, of course he’s had a past.” Sungyeol joked.

Sungjong ignored him, and continued, “Some kind of incident…perhaps a previous fight or something?”

“But he doesn’t even have any scars.” Sungyeol interrupted. “Shouldn’t badass gangsters have scars? I mean Woohyun hyung isn’t a badass gangster, but even he—.”

“Maybe he does, but we just can’t see them.” Myungsoo said. Sungjong and Sungyeol glanced at him, with confused expressions. But Myungsoo merely smirked. “If anyone knows about them, it would probably be Woohyun hyung.”

“Huh?” Sungyeol exchanged a perplexed glance with Sungjong, before they both returned their gazes to the vampire hunter. “I don’t really—oh.”

“Right?” Myungsoo grinned.

But Sungjong merely frowned. “I still don’t get it.”

“That’s good.” Sungyeol patted the younger man’s head. “You’re too innocent for stuff like that anyways.”

“Innocent? Just a minute ago you didn’t understand either!” Sungjong retorted.

“Who says?!” Sungyeol argued.

You just did!”

“What do you know? You have hearing problems!”

“No I don’t!”

Suddenly Myungsoo burst out laughing, startling the bickering twosome.

Sungjong was staring at Myungsoo with wide eyes, before looking to Sungyeol.

“Hyung…h-he’s laughing!”

Sungyeol snorted. “Yeah, he does that sometimes.”

“He does?” Sungjong leaned closer on the desk towards Sungyeol.

“He is a human being Jongie.” Sungyeol grinned, before shoving a still laughing Myungsoo. “See? He’s just an idiot.”

“You’re an idiot!” Myungsoo argued and shoved Sungyeol back.

Sungjong merely smiled at the two. He decided to leave them to their argument, and left his shared office with Sungyeol. As soon as he stepped into the hallway, he sighed.

He was concerned about Sunggyu. After seeing how messed up he was for the time period that Woohyun was gone, and what happened after the fight in the spice shop…

Sungjong took his phone out, wondering if he should call. He guessed Sunggyu probably wouldn’t answer or tell him there was nothing to worry about.

He was worried about Woohyun too. He hadn’t seen him for so long. And he knew what kind of person Woohyun was…he wouldn’t let anyone know if he was having problems.

He realized Sunggyu was just the same.

That almost made him smile. “Those stubborn idiots are perfect for each other…”

“Ok hyung I get it! I won’t do it again!” Sungjong looked up to see a very determined Sunggyu storming down the hall. Behind him was a slightly less enthusiastic Woohyun, who was being rather roughly dragged along by the older man.

“I don’t believe you!” Sunggyu huffed, tugging Woohyun along.

“I promise hyung! I won’t run away—.” Sunggyu suddenly stopped, causing Woohyun to hastily stop, and back away. Obviously he didn’t want to touch Sunggyu because then it would hurt again.

“You tried to jump out of the car while I was driving!” Sunggyu exclaimed, earning the attention of passing officers.

“I…” Woohyun whined in frustration. “I just hate that guy ok? I don’t want to see him again! And I don’t want you to see him either!”

“Oh, so you’re fine not being able to touch anyone ever again?” Sunggyu retorted.

Woohyun averted his eyes. “That…”

Suddenly Sunggyu leaned closer, his voice lowering an octave so no one else could hear. “You’re fine never touching me again?”

Woohyun gulped, cheeks flushing bright red. “T-That…”

“You know…” Sunggyu tilted his head. “It’s not like I mind. I mean I could just do whatever I want to you and you wouldn’t be able to stop me.”

Woohyun’s mouth hung open with a dazed look.

Sunggyu studied his expression for a moment. “…Don’t tell me you’re getting aroused!”

“I-I’m sorry!” Woohyun blurted out, shamelessly.

Sunggyu slapped a palm to his forehead. “You’re ridiculous.”

Woohyun smiled sheepishly. “But you’re right. I won’t be able to cuddle with hyung and I don’t want that…so let’s do it. I promise I won’t run away.” He assured Sunggyu as they passed right by Sungjong.

“Ah, Sungjongie!” Woohyun stopped following after Sunggyu and went to hug Sungjong, but thankfully Sunggyu pulled him away before he could.

“What’re you doing dummy? You’ll get hurt!” Sunggyu berated.

“Ah, right.” Woohyun nodded, and then turned to Sungjong with apologetic eyes. “I’ll hug you when I get fixed ok Jongie?”

“What’s wrong?” Sungjong turned to Sunggyu.

“It’s fine. We’re handling it.” Sunggyu sent the boy a reassuring smile, before grabbing Woohyun and dragging him away.

Sungjong sighed as he watched them leave. “Knew he would say that.”

♦♦♦

Ilhoon’s expression was as bright as the sun the moment Sunggyu stepped into the interrogation room. “Sunggyu hyung—!”

“What did you do to Woohyun?” Sunggyu cut right to the chase, plopping down on the chair across from the boy.

Ilhoon’s smile faded slightly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about—.”

“When he touches people, it burns him.” Sunggyu slammed a hand on the desk. “What did you do?”

“Its better this way! Then he won’t put his filthy hands on you ever again—!”

“I knew that was what you were after you bastard!” Woohyun stormed into the room, pointing an accusatory finger at the gang leader. “You just want me out of the way so you can steal Gyu hyung from me—!”

“Isn’t that obvious?” Ilhoon snorted. “God you’re stupid. Hyung what do you see in this idiot anyways?”

“Yah.” Sunggyu shot him a warning glare. “Yes he’s an idiot, but he’s my idiot, so don’t talk about him like that.” Woohyun shot Ilhoon the cockiest sneer, and Ilhoon could only glare in return. “And besides, he can’t touch me, but I can still touch him you know?” Sunggyu sighed. “So your spell or whatever isn’t that effective—.”

“But why would you want to touch him?!” Ilhoon frowned.

“Why wouldn’t he want to touch me?” Woohyun interjected. “Have you seen my abs? They’re amazing!”

Ilhoon scoffed. “Who brags about their own body—?”

“W-Well…” Sunggyu coughed, garnering the attention of the other two men. “They…are pretty nice.” Ilhoon’s jaw dropped, while Woohyun had on a smug grin. “And his biceps are really firm too…” Sunggyu mumbled.

“Ugh fine whatever.” Ilhoon sulked. “But I still don’t think—.”

“A-And his —.”

“Ok I get it!” Ilhoon huffed.

But Woohyun was too busy staring at Sunggyu with wide eyes. “Hyung…you checked out my ?”

Sunggyu averted his eyes. “W-Well how could I not, I mean you sleep in my bed all the time, and sometimes you sleep on your tummy and its just like right there, and…” Sunggyu made a grabby hands gesture. But then he realized both men were staring silently at him (Ilhoon in distaste, and Woohyun in a slightly embarrassed, yet completely happy state).

He cleared his throat. “A-Anyways, the point is…uh, what was the point again?” He looked blankly to Woohyun.

“What did you do to me, and how can it be reversed?” Woohyun finished for him.

“R-Right!” Sunggyu nodded rapidly, slapping his hand on the table for emphasis. “Tell us!”

Ilhoon sighed. “Well I’m sure you have your guesses.”

“A spell?” Sunggyu asked.

“Yup.” Ilhoon nodded dryly.

“And…?” Sunggyu leaned forward. “How do we stop it?”

“.”

There was a pause.

“…Excuse me?” Sunggyu blinked.

“Well if that’s the only choice.” Woohyun shrugged. “Lets take one for the team hyung—.”

“You’re lying.” Sunggyu stared the gang leader down, completely ignoring Woohyun. “You just said you didn’t want Woohyun touching me, so why would you—?”

“Well yeah, he can’t touch you, but you can still touch him.” Ilhoon frowned. “I mean I just figured you wouldn’t want to touch that….that thing.” He scowled at Woohyun.

“Well you heard him hyung.” Woohyun bounced on his heels. “I think there’s a hotel nearby—.”

“Yeah, but still that doesn’t make sense.” Sunggyu held a hand up, his voice dripping with skepticism. “This is just a distraction right? You’re trying to get us to leave long enough for you to be released and then—.”

“Wow he really doesn’t want to do it with you.” Ilhoon smirked at Woohyun.

“T-That’s not it!” Woohyun pouted, and then frantically turned to Sunggyu. “R-Right hyung? He’s wrong, isn’t he?”

“Can you both just shut up?” Sunggyu groaned, massaging his temples. “Let me think for a second…”

Woohyun and Ilhoon proceeded to shoot each other disgusted looks in the meantime.

“How about this?” Sunggyu folded his hands on the table. “If you tell us how to change Woohyun back and what your whole plan is…” He heaved a deep, reluctant sigh. “I’ll take you out for dinner—.”

“Y-You will?!” Ilhoon gasped, joy practically bursting out of his ears.

Woohyun on the other hand was not amused.

“Excuse me, I don’t agree with this—.”

“Yah,” Sunggyu eyed him with a warning look. “Don’t.”

Woohyun pouted, but didn’t say anything.

“Good, so it’s a deal—.”

“Can we get dessert too?” Ilhoon smirked.

Woohyun glared at him, whilst Sunggyu merely blinked in confusion.

“Uh I guess…whatever.” Sunggyu shrugged. “It’s a deal. Now tell us how to reverse the spell.”

♦♦♦

Ilhoon sent them off to see Yu Sun, the owner of the spice shop, that Sunggyu met before while on his mission with Hoya and Dongwoo.

However Sunggyu hadn’t been to the shop since the incident with the gangsters where he had a breakdown and had to be dragged out by Sungjong. He didn’t think it would still affect him, but he realized he was just being naïve in thinking that, because even on the drive over there, his heart was thumping louder, and his stomach churned uncomfortably.

Woohyun noticed Sunggyu’s tense behavior. He immediately reached out a hand and rested it on Sunggyu’s shoulder without thinking. Of course the touch stung his hand, and it almost scorched his finger tips.

Sunggyu immediately swatted his hand away.

“What’re you thinking you idiot? Doesn’t it hurt?” His voice was angry, but in his eyes there was nothing but concern.

Woohyun smiled weakly. “Yeah but it hurts more that…” He looked down. “I can’t even comfort you.”

Sunggyu sighed. “After you left with Sungyeol, I had a mission with Hoya and Dongwoo…”

He proceeded to tell Woohyun about the gangsters, and how he had recognized them from the same gang as the man who had stabbed him years ago.

He left out the part about him basically falling apart in the midst of the fight and having to be taken away. He didn’t want Woohyun to worry any more or feel even guiltier about leaving that time.

But Woohyun knew better.

“Why are you shaking then?” He asked worriedly, noticing the tremor in Sunggyu’s hands

Sunggyu smiled softly, and rested his hand over Woohyun’s.

“Just…stay beside me, ok?” He turned to Woohyun, squeezing his hand a little tighter.

Woohyun felt the lump in his throat get thicker. He hated that he couldn’t even reach out and console Sunggyu. It made him feel so powerless, less connected to Sunggyu, and worst of all, useless.

♦♦♦

When they entered the store, Sunggyu grabbed onto Woohyun’s arm, leaning on the younger slightly.

“Are you sure you’re—?”

“I’m fine.” Sunggyu breathed shakily. “Just…give me a second.”

Woohyun stood perfectly still, attempting to keep the older upright, since that was all he could manage.

Soon a young girl came down the rickety stair case at the back of the small store.

“Hm?” She approached them. “Ah, you’re that officer…you were with Dongwoo oppa! Is he here?” She looked around excitedly. Sunggyu recognized her as Yu Sun’s grand daughter who was obsessed with Dongwoo, Se Young.

“Sorry, not today.” Sunggyu smiled weakly. “Um…is your grandmother here?”

“Nope.” Se Young shrugged.

It was silent for a moment and Sunggyu and Woohyun stared at the girl expectantly.

“Ok, well do you know when she’ll be available?” Sunggyu continued.

“She went to a potions convention in England, so she won’t be back for a few weeks.”

“Weeks?” Woohyun frowned. “Hyung, we can’t wait that long!”

“How about your mother? Ye Jin-sshi….is she available?”

“Nope. Her boyfriend got injured and she’s taking care of him in a hospital out of town.”

Sunggyu heaved a sigh, massaging his temples. “Ok I guess…we’ll have to wait—.”

“Excuse me, I’m still here.” Se Yong pouted.

Sunggyu and Woohyun turned to her with skeptical looks.

“If it’s about a spell or potion I can help. You know I grew up in this place! I at least know some things!”

Sunggyu smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, I guess you’re right.”

Se Young seemed satisfied with that, and headed behind the counter pulling out a heavy looking charcoal colored leather bound book. There were some sort of symbols—most likely witch craft related—engraved onto the cover.

“Ok, so what’s your problem?”

“He…” Sunggyu glanced at Woohyun. “This is Woohyun, he’s—.”

“Your boyfriend?” Se Young finished for him.

Sunggyu choked on his words, while Woohyun’s jaw dropped.

Se Young merely shrugged nonchalantly. “It was obvious. So you were saying…?”

“Uh right,” Sunggyu cleared his throat. “When he touches other people, it burns. But he’s fine when someone touches him.”

Se Young nodded lazily, flipping through the thick book.

“Hmm .”

Sunggyu blinked. “Excuse me?”

Se Young looked up. “Didn’t you give him the potion to make him like that?”

“Why the hell would I do that?” Sunggyu frowned.

“Well I mean mostly couples come in asking for that potion because you know…”

When Woohyun looked completely lost and Sunggyu had on an unreadable expression, she sighed.

“Never mind…anyways since it’s mostly a potion used for fun, the antidote is usually bought together. But since you just need the antidote, it’ll take…about a week?”

“A week?” Sunggyu furrowed his brows. “Is it possible to get it any sooner?”

“Sorry.” Se Young nodded. “I need at least that long to collect the ingredients and prepare it.”

Sunggyu sighed, unconsciously clutching onto Woohyun’s hand. “Ok, well I guess there’s nothing else we can do. We’ll come back in a week to pick it up.”

“I’ll call you when it’s done.” Se Young assured them.

“Wait, I think I get why it’s !” Woohyun suddenly announced.

Se Young snorted and Sunggyu merely sighed.

“Wow,” She turned to the older man. “This one’s a real keeper.”

Sunggyu smiled amusingly, before pulling a still deep in thought Woohyun out of the store.

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

A little bit of a break from the angst of the past chapters~^^