Gangsters part 2

Dark Side

 

I’m sorry I took so long with this chapter. Is anyone still reading this? >.<

-

Woohyun was over the moon. The week was finally over, and he and Sungyeol were making their way down the mountain. Even though they were dirty and their clothes were covered in grime and blood—mostly belonging to their foes—Woohyun couldn’t fight the smile plastered on his face.

He was going home, and he was looking forward to it. This was the first time that he could say that in a long time. 

He was happy at the thought of seeing Mrs. Kim and Sun Hee again. But of course he was most excited to be able to see Sunggyu again. There was so many things that he wanted to do when he saw the older man, with Sunggyu himself being one of them. He felt his face heat up at the thought, and pressed his palms to his cheeks from embarrassment.

But he was snapped out of his less than pure fantasies, when he heard Sungyeol sigh rather loudly. Woohyun’s smile quickly faded, when he realized that it wasn’t all going to be fun times when they got back. Sungyeol still had to face Myungsoo’s father, and obviously he was nervous about it. Woohyun grinned and wrapped an arm around the taller man’s shoulder. Sungyeol stared at him confused.

“Be confident.” Woohyun told him with a smile. “Even though it was only one week, you really improved a lot.”

“R-Really?” Sungyeol looked down, clearly not believing him.

Woohyun nodded. “Yeah, totally!”

“Thanks hyung.” Sungyeol smiled slightly. “For helping me this whole week.”

♦♦♦

When they reached the foot of the mountains that afternoon, Woohyun was expecting Sunggyu and Myungsoo to be there waiting. So he was rightfully surprised when neither of them could be seen and instead Sunggyu’s older sister, Sun Hee was the one waiting for them.

“Noona!” Woohyun rushed up to her.

“Ah Woohyun-ah.” Sun Hee smiled sadly, as she pulled Woohyun in for a hug. “Wah it must have been tough, you’re all dirty.” She ruffled his hair.

“What’s wrong?” Woohyun pouted, noticing her somber mood. “Where’s Gyu hyung?”

“Ah, you must be Sungyeol-ah?” Sun Hee turned to Sungyeol. “Nice to meet you. I’m Gyu’s sister and—.”

“Noona.” Woohyun interrupted in a worried tone. “W-What happened? Why isn’t Gyu hyung here?”

“Um…listen Woohyun, you can’t freak out ok?” Sun Hee eyed him anxiously.

“What happened?” Woohyun gulped, his heart beat increased, and his eyes went wide.

“Well…l-last night, Gyu…he got into some trouble….”

♦♦♦

As soon as Sun Hee drove up to the parking lot of the hospital, Woohyun pushed the door open and raced towards the building, not even bothering to wait for her to turn off the car.

“Wait, Woohyun!” She called out but he was already long gone. She sighed and turned to the back where Sungyeol was sitting. “I’m sorry about this.” She told him. “I’m sure you probably want to get home, and get cleaned up—.”

“No…” Sungyeol nodded with a determined look. “I want to see if Sunggyu hyung’s ok.”

Sun Hee sent him a small smile. “Ah, we better catch up with Woohyun, since he doesn’t even know the room number…”

♦♦♦

Woohyun rushed into the room, past Myungsoo, who was sitting outside the room. Mrs. Kim stood up when she saw Woohyun appear.

“W-Woohyunnie, you’re back—.”

Woohyun stared straight at the body lying on the bed with wide eyes.

Sunggyu was fast asleep, and he had bandages plastered on his cheek, neck, and his arms. The rest of his body was covered with a thin white comforter, but it was pretty much guaranteed that there were more injuries concealed under there.

“W-What…” Woohyun turned to Mrs. Kim. “W-What happened?”

Mrs. Kim bit her lip and averted her gaze. “He’s ok, don’t worry Woohyunnie, he’s ok. He’s just resting.”

“But what happened?” Woohyun questioned, starting to get frustrated that no one was giving him an answer.

“I…don’t know.” Mrs. Kim admitted, in a quiet voice.

“Y-You don’t know?”

They both froze, when Sunggyu stirred lightly in his sleep. Woohyun immediately dropped down beside the bed, staring helplessly at the older man. Mrs. Kim figured he needed some alone time, and worriedly stepped out of the room, shutting the door quietly behind her.

“I-I should have been there…” Woohyun muttered, as he studied the bruise on Sunggyu’s cheek that had a strip of gauze plastered over it. “T-This is my fault…” Hot tears ran down Woohyun’s cheeks, as he gripped onto the edges of the stark white sheet. “I-If I was…this never would have happened. I should have protected you hyung. I should have—.”

“Shut up…” Woohyun immediately looked up.

“H-Hyung…”

“Seriously…is it your life’s mission to deprive me of sleep?” Sunggyu had on a slight grin and sleepy eyes.

Woohyun bit his lips to stop more tears from pouring out with limited success. “G-Gyu hyung…”

“Yah is this how you greet me after a whole week? With tears?” Sunggyu joked, though he winced slightly from the dull pain surging through his body.

Woohyun couldn’t take it anymore and immediately buried his face into the crook of Sunggyu’s neck, wrapping his arms around Sunggyu’s waist.

“Hyung!” Woohyun cried. “I-I missed you so much! I’m so stupid, if I was here this never would have happened—!”

“Ok, ok.” Sunggyu groaned. “Just get off me! You’re hurting me!”

“Oh sorry!” Woohyun immediately got off him, and adjusted to a sitting position at the edge of the bed. “A-Are you ok?”

“I’m fine…well for the most part.” Sunggyu sighed, and sat up. “How’s Sungyeol?”

“Should you really be concerned about other people right now?” Woohyun frowned. “Tell me how this happened. And tell me who did it to you so I can go kick their —.”

“Yah.” Sunggyu cut him off. “You’re not kicking anyone’s …at least right now.”

“Fine.” Woohyun pouted. “But still, who did this hyung? Was it during a mission or—?”

“No…” Sunggyu averted his gaze. Woohyun could tell it was something Sunggyu didn’t want to talk about, and figured they could talk about it later.

“Ah, but you know hyung?” Woohyun began, garnering Sunggyu’s attention. “This week…it really felt like five years went by for me! I missed seeing your face hyung.” He smiled and caressed Sunggyu’s uninjured cheek. Sunggyu couldn’t fight the smile forming on his lips.

“Dummy…”

“What about you hyung~?” Woohyun hummed bringing out the aegyo at full force. “How much did Gyu hyung miss me~?”

“Stupid, I barely noticed you were gone…” Sunggyu lied, while shyly glancing at the younger man.

“Hyung~” Woohyun whined. “How could you say that?”

“Ok maybe I missed you a little…” Sunggyu muttered.

“Just a little?” Woohyun nudged him cutely.

“Yah, don’t push it.” Sunggyu warned.

“Ok, whatever you say hyung.” Woohyun laughed, and Sunggyu chuckled as well. But Sunggyu’s smile soon faded, and somberness engulfed his features. Woohyun noticed and hesitantly reached out to hold Sunggyu’s hand.

“Remember that guy, Minwoo we met at the café…the one from my old gang?” Sunggyu suddenly asked.

“Yeah…?” Woohyun met his gaze. “Is he the one who—?” Woohyun immediately stood up, boiling with anger. “That bastard, I’ll—!”

“Just wait a second.” Sunggyu tugged lightly on Woohyun’s hand, urging him to sit back down. Woohyun let out a frustrated sigh, but sat down nonetheless. “Last night…he approached me…told me the leader of the gang we used to be in wanted to see me again.”

“And…?”

“It was weird, he came out of this horse drawn carriage, and the guy holding the reins…he had no head.”

“No head?” Woohyun blinked. “Like you couldn’t see it or—.”

“No, he literally had nothing from the neck up.” Sunggyu replied. “They chased me and I turned the corner and then there were these people just standing there….holding lanterns.”

“Lanterns?”

“Yeah, it was like some freaky dream.” Sunggyu explained. “And suddenly Minwoo appeared and the people holding the lanterns disappeared. Then Minwoo tried to get me to come with him to see the leader of our old gang…obviously I refused. Then the headless guy got out this whip made of bones.”

“Bones?” Woohyun cocked an eyebrow.

“Honestly I don’t really know…it looked kind of like a spine.” Sunggyu stared into his lap, absently rubbing his shoulder.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what? You didn’t do anything, and plus I’m fine.” Sunggyu stated.

“…It was scary right?” Sunggyu looked up to see the worry in Woohyun’s eyes.

“Scary?” Sunggyu scoffed. “I-I’m not…I wasn’t scared.” He lied, averting his gaze. “Why would I be scared?  I-I’m a grown man, and plus—.” He was cut off, when Woohyun’s hand found the back of his head and pulled him to his chest. “W-What’re you doing?” Sunggyu murmured into Woohyun’s shoulder.

“It’s ok hyung.” Woohyun Sunggyu’s head softly. “It’s me hyung, remember? You can depend on me.” Sunggyu’s chest began to ache, and he let out a silent shaky breath.

“Y-You dummy head…” He choked out the words, his throat dry. “D-Do you know how many times I called out for you?”

“I’m sorry hyung.” Woohyun whispered.

“W-Why didn’t you come stupid?” Sunggyu couldn’t fight the tears that he had been holding in for the whole week. “I-I was scared…I needed you.”

“I-I’m sorry hyung.” Woohyun repeated, as he struggled to keep his shaky hands steady as his fingers tangled in Sunggyu’s hair. He wasn’t used to seeing Sunggyu in such a vulnerable state, as he was used to being the one always depending on Sunggyu. “I-It was hard for you wasn’t it hyung?” Woohyun uttered, failing to keep his composure, as his eyes watered.

“Y-Yah…” Sunggyu pulled back slightly, when he realized Woohyun was crying as well. “Y-You’re supposed to be the one comforting me.”

“I-I’m sorry hyung.” Woohyun sobbed. “I-Its just…I hate it. W-When you’re sad…i-it makes me sad too.”

Sunggyu smiled, though his eyes were red and moist, as he reached out and ruffled Woohyun’s hair. “Woohyun-ah, I love you.”

Woohyun looked up while rubbing the tears from his eyes. “W-What?”

“I never said it to you before right?” Sunggyu cupped Woohyun’s cheek.

Woohyun’s lips immediately curved into a happy smile, and his eyes turned to little crescents.

“Hyung.” Woohyun wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s neck. “I really love you hyung. I’m never leaving your side again. I promise.” Sunggyu merely smiled and rubbed the back of Woohyun’s head, as the younger buried his nose into the crook of Sunggyu’s neck.

♦♦♦

Mrs. Kim was standing right outside the door, tears streaming down her cheeks. She knew Sunggyu was holding a lot inside. He was always like that. It hurt her to see him like that for so long.

But now, the tears she cried weren’t from sadness for her son, but happiness. Because he finally had someone who he felt he could depend on and open up to. She felt her heart swell with joy and she was so relieved that Woohyun had come in to their lives.

“Mom!” Sun Hee walked up to her mother. “Why are you crying? What happened?”

“Oh don’t worry.” Mrs. Kim smiled and placed an assuring hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “I’m just…I’m so thankful that Woohyunnie has found our Gyu.”

Sun Hee smiled and pulled her mother into a warm embrace. “Me too mom.”

♦♦♦

“So what’re you doing here?”

Myungsoo adjusted his focus from the contents of the vending machine to the person standing beside him. He grinned slightly at a piece of a stray leaf in the taller man’s hair. He reached a hand out to take out the leaf, when Sungyeol gripped onto his arm.

Myungsoo paused, merely blinking at his best friend, who was staring intently at him.

“I forgot something at the SC office, and then I saw him lying there, in the front entrance.”

“Oh…” Sungyeol nodded, still keeping his grasp on the other’s arm.

“You know…my father went on a ‘business trip’ yesterday.” Myungsoo suddenly stated, averting his gaze.

“A business trip?” Sungyeol blinked.

“Apparently…but that’s not where he really went.” Myungsoo sighed. “The only business he’s going to get done involves getting in his girlfriend’s pants.”

Sungyeol made a face. “Ew.”

“Isn’t it?” Myungsoo grinned.

“But what about the duel?”

“He said one of the hunters will take his place and fight you.”

“For real?”

Myungsoo shrugged. “I don’t think he really cares anymore…he’s already made up his mind. He doesn’t want to ever see me again.”

“No…” Sungyeol shook his head, putting a hand on Myungsoo’s shoulder. “D-Did he say that…?”

“Well he told me to get out.” Myungsoo smiled sadly. “I’ve been staying at your place for the past week. I hope that’s ok—.”

“Of course it is! But…” Sungyeol frowned. “Myung, I’m sorry.”

“Why are you sorry? Didn’t everything work out for the best?” Myungsoo wrapped his arms around Sungyeol’s waist.

“No it didn’t.” Sungyeol pulled away. “This isn’t the end. When does he come back? I want to have a talk with him—.”

“No, don’t!” Myungsoo gripped onto Sungyeol’s wrist, an almost desperate look in his eyes. “It’s over Yeol…just…its over.”

♦♦♦

Woohyun managed to convince Mrs. Kim and Sun Hee to go home and get some rest, that evening, and that he would stay at the hospital and take care of Sunggyu. He also wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery of the headless man and Sunggyu’s former gang.

“I think it was the headless horseman.” Woohyun piped up.

“What?” Sunggyu was in the middle of changing the channels on the rather small television propped up at the corner of the ceiling. Woohyun took the remote from him and turned the TV off.

“The headless guy that Minwoo was working with…” Woohyun began. “It’s part of an old legend.”

“Oh…”

“But, you said he was working for Minwoo. Does that mean your old gang…they’re connected to the supernatural?”

“I don’t know.” Sunggyu shrugged. “I mean when I was a part of the gang…I didn’t even know of the existence of all these things…”

“Maybe, it happened after you left?” Woohyun wondered. “Your gang recruiting supernatural creatures?”

“They’re not my gang.” Sunggyu suddenly said, averting his gaze.

“Huh?” Woohyun blinked.

“Don’t…don’t call them that.” Sunggyu mumbled. “I don’t want to have anything to do with them anymore…” Woohyun studied Sunggyu’s closed off expression. He wondered how Sunggyu had left the gang. What it took to leave, and how the gang’s boss reacted. He had never had anything to do with gangs before, so all he knew about gangsters came from watching dramas and movies.

Suddenly the nurse came in, interrupting their discussion. She was holding a tray of food for Sunggyu’s dinner. She eyed Woohyun from the corner of her eye as she pulled out the attached table from Sunggyu’s chair and placed the tray on top of it.

“Visiting hours are almost up.” She told Woohyun. “So if you’re not immediate family then you’ll have to leave—.”

“But I am.” Woohyun announced casually, and then wrapped an arm around Sunggyu’s shoulder. “I’m his husband.” Sunggyu choked on the water that he was taking a sip from, and the nurse merely blinked.

“Um…I don’t—.”

“B-Brother!” Sunggyu coughed. “He’s my little brother.”

“Oh.” The nurse nodded, skeptically.

“He just likes to joke around like that.” Sunggyu assured the forty-something woman, and then grabbed Woohyun into a headlock. “Yah, no one likes your dumb jokes.”

The nurse eyed them both suspiciously, but let it go and exited the room.

Woohyun pouted as Sunggyu let go of him. “Little brother?”

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “Husband?”

“Well if I said I was your wife, I don’t think she’d believe me.” Woohyun chuckled.

“Yeah whatever.” Sunggyu snorted and handed Woohyun a red Jell-O cup. “Here. You must be hungry.”

“But…” Woohyun studied the Jell-O. “This isn’t even food. It’s just colored water in gelatinous form.”

“Yah, are you seriously trying to steal an injured person’s food?” Sunggyu retorted.

Woohyun merely chuckled, but took the Jell-O anyways. He shoved a spoonful of the neon red substance into his mouth. As he swallowed, his whole mouth was dyed red from the Jell-O.

Sunggyu glanced at him, while taking a sip of his juice and grinned.

“Hm?” Woohyun blinked, noticing the elder’s eyes on him. “What?”

Sunggyu reached over, the collar of Woohyun’s shirt. Woohyun felt his face heat up, as Sunggyu leaned in, their faces mere centimeters apart. His eyes meeting Sunggyu’s gaze, as the elder his bottom lip.

“You’re mouth’s all red.” Sunggyu murmured, a glint of amusement in his eyes.

“A-Are you going to kiss me?” Woohyun blurted out.

Sunggyu tilted his head in a teasing manner. “Do you want me to?”

“Yes.” Woohyun replied almost instantly. But to his disappointment, Sunggyu backed away, leaning back onto his pillow.

“Yah, do you really think this is the time for that? We have important issues to deal with.”

“I think my ual needs are an important issue.” Woohyun said in a matter of fact tone

Sunggyu snorted. “Was that all you can think about while you were away?”

“Didn’t you?” Woohyun pouted, looking down, and tugging at the ends of his mud stained t-shirt. Sunggyu thought he kind of looked like a kid that had been out playing in the dirt. It was kind of cute. “Hyung~ Didn’t you think of those things at all?” He looked up, leaning forward, shooting Sunggyu the puppy dog eyes. “Do you know how long I’ve been holding it in?”

Sunggyu shot him a frustrated look. He didn’t understand how Woohyun could make such an adorable face while talking about wanting .

“Yah.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “What’s wrong with you?”

“I’m deprived.” Woohyun sighed dramatically.

“Then come here.” Sunggyu suddenly said. He had already moved his tray away, and lifted his blanket, while patting the spot next to him.

“W-What?” Woohyun laughed awkwardly.

“Come here.” Sunggyu patted his lap. “You said you’re deprived right?”

“What’re you talking about? You’re injured.” Woohyun chuckled, shyly looking away.

“Ah…” Sunggyu nodded. “So you’re saying you don’t want to sit in my lap…”

“Uh, that’s—.”

“And you don’t want to make out—?”

“I-I didn’t say that!” Woohyun gasped, staring at Sunggyu wide-eyed. “B-But aren’t you hurt? You should heal completely first and then—.” Suddenly Sunggyu tugged on the collar of Woohyun’s shirt again, pulling him closer. He softly pressed his lips to Woohyun’s.

“I missed you.” Sunggyu breathed, as Woohyun hesitantly crawled onto his lap.

“But hyung, my clothes are all dirty—.”

“Stop talking.” Sunggyu commanded, as he cupped Woohyun’s cheeks.

“Ok~” Woohyun grinned excitedly.

“Yah,” Sunggyu sighed. “Don’t smile either.”

“I can’t help it~” Woohyun slipped his arms around Sunggyu’s waist. “Being with hyung makes me happy.”

“Tch, dummy.” Sunggyu smiled slightly, before pulling Woohyun in for another kiss.

Suddenly the door swung open, and the nurse from before walked in with a fresh set of sheets. She gasped, almost dropping the linens at the sight before her.

Sunggyu hurriedly tried to shove Woohyun off him, while Woohyun himself, was hastily struggling to get off the bed as well.

“I-I’ll just leave this here!” She squeaked, and practically threw the sheets at them, before scurrying out of the room.

There was a moment of silence, before Sunggyu suddenly burst out laughing. Woohyun turned to him and started laughing as well.

“She probably won’t think we’re brothers anymore.” Woohyun smirked.

“Yeah, probably not.” Sunggyu snorted, turning to Woohyun with a smile. “Why do things always seem better with you here?”

Woohyun felt his heart beat increase, at Sunggyu’s unexpected words.

“W-What…?” He chuckled awkwardly. “What’re you talking about hyung?”

“Ah…” Sunggyu looked down, folding his hands in his lap. “I just…I guess I didn’t realize how much I missed you.”

“Really?” Woohyun looked up.

“You…” Sunggyu bit his lip, though he was still smiling. “I even had dreams about you.”

“…Y-You did?” Woohyun felt his voice get stuck in his throat.

“It just made me think…” Sunggyu looked up at Woohyun, steadily matching his gaze. “That without you…it’ll be hard for me.”

Woohyun tilted his head, smiling fondly, though his eyes were watery.

“Y-Yah…” Sunggyu frowned. “Don’t cry again…”

“I just…” Woohyun choked, standing beside Sunggyu’s bed, rubbing his eyes. “I…I’m finally needed…” He chuckled, though there were tears streaming down his cheeks. “I-It feels so good…I-I don’t know what to do.”

Sunggyu smiled and patted the spot beside him, holding his arm out.

“Come here…jeez don’t cry again you little baby.” Woohyun just laughed again between his sobs as he nestled in beside Sunggyu, burying his nose into Sunggyu’s chest.

Sunggyu sighed contentedly, leaning his head on Woohyun’s.

There were troubles ahead. They both knew that much. But at least now, they knew one thing was for sure.

They wouldn’t be facing them alone.