Demons

Dark Side

Sunggyu walked into the office the next morning to see Woohyun at the front desk talking to Seungho. When Woohyun spotted Sunggyu, his eyes lit up and he ran towards him.

“Morning Hyung!” Woohyun handed Sunggyu a cup of coffee. “Here. I got this for you.”

“Oh…thanks.” Sunggyu gave the younger a small smile, grateful for the morning pick me up. “Uh…is there something wrong?” He asked, noticing Woohyun staring at him.

“Huh? Oh its nothing.” Woohyun grinned. Sunggyu was reminded of his conversation with Seungho the day before.

“Then why does he even need a partner?” Sunggyu asked.

“Well that’s…you see Woohyun is…well to put it frankly, he gets scared.” Seungho said.

“Scared? Of what?”

“Of the dark, of going in the forest alone in the night, of going on overnight missions alone, of walking down the streets of the city alone, of staying in hotel rooms alone…yeah basically a lot of things. But aside from that he’s so good at his job that it’d be a waste to let him go.”

Sunggyu wondered why Woohyun was afraid of so many things when he could easily kick anybody’s .

Suddenly the door to Sungyeol and Sungjong’s shared office slammed open.

“Who took my coffee?!” The tall choding screamed. Woohyun’s eyes went wide, and he grabbed Sunggyu by the arm.

“Run!” He yelled and dragged Sunggyu into his office.

“You stole his coffee?” Sunggyu sighed as Woohyun shut the door.

“I was going to make you coffee, but then I overslept and didn’t have enough time to go to the only café that has decent coffee and—.”

“Wait...” Sunggyu stopped him. “Who said you had to get me coffee?”

“Well…remember I told you the coffee here so…” Woohyun propped himself up on the desk.

 “So..?” Sunggyu asked. “Its not like I’m a king or something…I don’t mind about drinking crappy coffee.” He said and walked up to the desk, placing the coffee on the desk beside Woohyun.

“I know…but I thought someone with such pretty hands would only drink gourmet coffee.” Woohyun joked. Sunggyu rolled his eyes.

“So what are we doing today?” He asked.

“What do you want to do?” Woohyun asked eagerly.

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes. “I meant like our job…mission or whatever you call it.”

“Oh that…” Woohyun nodded, noticeably disappointed. “Well since its daytime there’s nothing to do, since most creatures only come out at night…”

“What? Then why did I wake up so early and haul my down here?” Woohyun shrugged.

“I don’t know…it’s not like anyone told you to come.”

“Are you kidding me?” Sunggyu glared and showed Woohyun his cell phone screen that had over fifty missed calls and texts from Woohyun. “How the hell did you even get my number?”

“About that…” Woohyun hopped off the desk. “Well I mean I didn’t think you’d actually come…”

“You’re not answering my question.” Sunggyu stepped forward, cornering Woohyun between him and the desk.

“Ok! Ok…” Woohyun frowned. “I didn’t think you’d give me your phone number so I asked Mi Seon noona.”

“Are you always like this?” Sunggyu shook his head. Woohyun blinked.

“Like what?”

“Like…like you just assume I’ll reject you…and how you bend over backwards doing things for me…do you think I’ll hate you if you don’t do those things or something?” Woohyun stood silently, eyes downcast as Sunggyu continued. “I mean you’re better than that aren’t you? Don’t you have any pride?”

“No…” Woohyun uttered so quietly, that Sunggyu barely heard him. “I’m not…and I don’t.”

“What?” Sunggyu didn’t expect him to say that. “You…”

“I-Its fine…” Woohyun said, but Sunggyu could see his hands shaking. “I…I’ll see you later ok?” Woohyun forced a small smile, and then walked out.

♦♦♦

Sunggyu looked around the whole office for Woohyun, but couldn’t find him anywhere. Like he just vanished. He asked Sungyeol, Dongwoo, Hyomin, Seungho and even Mi Seon.

“What about you Sungjong? Have you seen Woohyun?” Sunggyu asked the younger male, after he found him watering the plants in the front of the building.

“Woohyun hyung? No…but he usually disappears at random without telling anyone.” Sungjong explained.

“What? And no one wonders where he is?”

“Of course we do! The first time he did it, we asked him and he said he goes home to take a nap because he gets tired.”

“He goes all the way home just to take a nap?” Sunggyu questioned.

“Yeah, I think he lives pretty close by.” Sungjong nodded. “If you want, I can give you his address.”

“That’ll be great thanks Sungjong.”

♦♦♦

 “This…is where he lives?” Sunggyu said out loud to no one in particular. Woohyun’s house was close by as Sungjong had said, but to call it a house wouldn’t exactly be accurate. A mansion would be more accurate. A haunted mansion. It had that old Victorian style in the architecture, but clearly the place wasn’t being maintained. There were vines growing along the sides and around the windows, a lot of which were streaked with dirt and dust. The front yard was bare and any traces of grass had dried up and died.

As Sunggyu walked up the front steps, the floorboards creaked, and he could have sworn he saw a rat running past him. He glanced to one side of the porch to see piles of tethered rope, rusted chains, and broken glass spread everywhere. On the other side there was a chainsaw, a broken wooden chair, and some dirty sheets.

Sunggyu hesitated, wondering what kind of person Woohyun really was. He shook away the fear and knocked at the door. He waited and waited, but there was no answer. “Well if he’s taking a nap…maybe he won’t hear?” Sunggyu figured, and decided it wouldn’t be a crime to use his pick pocketing skills if it was to help and not to hurt. He fumbled with the old rusted door, until it opened. He grinned. “Still got it.” But when he opened the door, and entered, the floor board caved in, taking Sunggyu’s foot with it. “What the…this is dangerous.” Sunggyu gasped, and shuffled his foot out of the newly created hole. “Why is he living in this place?” Sunggyu wondered as he went further, careful of where he stepped as to not create another hole. He glanced around noticing all the lights were on. “Woohyun!” He called out. All he could hear was his own echo. The place was so huge and so bare.

As he walked through one empty room to the next, which he guessed was the kitchen, he let out a huge sneeze. The supposed kitchen was covered in cobwebs and it looked like it hadn’t been used for decades. “Does he even eat…” Sunggyu wondered, “I mean he is pretty skinny…” He cautiously glided up the spiral stair case attempting to avoid the stacks of small boxes on the way up. The second floor in contrast to the first was packed with mostly cardboard boxes and envelopes. Broken glass was scattered all across the floor as if on purpose. Sunggyu noticed that on both floors, mirrors hung everywhere.

He heard the floor boards above creaking, as if someone was walking on them…

“Hello?” He called out. “Hey! Is that you? Nam Woohyun!”

“Who are you?” He immediately spun around to see a girl who looked to be about his age stepping out of the bathroom, wearing nothing but a fuzzy white bathrobe and slippers. Sunggyu was shocked and quickly looked away.

“Ah sorry! Uh…I was looking for Woohyun. I work with him…”

“I thought I locked the door…” The girl sent him a suspicious stare. “So you work with Woohyun huh? I don’t think he’s ever mentioned you.” She said as she walked up to Sunggyu looking him up and down. “But then again…we don’t do much talking.” She winked, making Sunggyu uncomfortable.

“Uh well…it seems he’s unavailable, so I’ll just see him at work…or whatever…” Sunggyu inched towards the stair case.

“Careful not to trip~” She waved with a smirk and headed back into one of the rooms.

Sunggyu slammed the rusted front door, and crackles of paint and dust flew. He stomped towards his car, angrily. “I can’t believe I was so concerned about that stupid brat…” Sunggyu grumbled as he jammed his key into the ignition, starting up his car. “Here I was, worrying he was upset or something, but he was just having in the middle of the day with ty women…” He muttered to himself. “What with the “Hyung, I like you~,” and the “Hyung I got this coffee just for you, which I actually stole from that loud tall kid!” He shook his head in disgust. “What a fake…” He sighed, and then thought about Woohyun’s weird living quarters. “And what the hell is up with his house? What’s with all the broken glass? Does he not own a broom? And the mirrors…is he that narcissistic?”

He stopped at a cross walk for a mother and her toddler holding hands, crossing the street. “God, I should not be so concerned about that guy and just concentrate on the job…which seems to be his personal driver. This …but I have to remember why I’m doing this…Mom, Noona…I’ll pay you guys back for everything.”

Woohyun tugged at his sleeves anxiously, as he walked up the front steps of his house. It was daytime, so he should be fine, he figured. “It won’t be here right?” He turned the knob and his heart sank. Standing in front of him was the girl in the bathrobe.

“Why hello there Woohyun~” She greeted. “Oh how I missed you…”

“What are you doing here?” Woohyun glared.

“Now, now my little puppy dog…no need to bare your fangs.” She smirked, and walked up to him, reaching out to touch him.

“Don’t you dare touch me!” He backed away, holding out his knife in front of him.

“I don’t think you’re in any position to be threatening me.” Her expression darkened. “You haven’t been a very good boy…making friends wasn’t something we agreed on.”

“Friends?” Woohyun asked. “What are you talking about? I never—.”

“That boy with the small eyes.”

“…What?” Woohyun paused.

“He even came over here.” The girl said casually while inspecting her cuticles. “He seemed very worried about you.”

“No…” Woohyun shook his head, his eyes going wide. “What’d you do to him?”

“Hm? Is that concern I detect? So who is he? Do you like him? Does he like you? Oh wait…that can’t be possible! No one likes you.” Woohyun twitched. “I thought I told you this earlier...making friends is something Nam Woohyun just can’t do.”

“He’s not my friend…” Woohyun looked down. “He’s just someone who I work with…”

“Don’t talk to him anymore.”

“I have to talk to him. We’re partners.” Woohyun explained.

“Oh? Partners huh? How quaint…I guess you wouldn’t mind if he gets in a little accident then and has to quit his job.” The girl smiled, her eyes narrowing.

“I told you I’m not his friend!” Woohyun panicked. “I don’t think he even likes me!”

The girl shoved him against the wall, her eyes turning completely black. Her voice lowered, “Of course he doesn’t like a stupid like you!”

“Then why are you bothering with him?!” Woohyun cried.

“Because you’re not allowed to like anyone!” She shouted. “Don’t you remember what happened to your last partner? And the eleven before that…well I guess small eyes will be lucky number thirteen. It has been a while since I’ve had human flesh…and I have been quite hungry…” She grinned, and grabbed Woohyun’s wrist and dug her nails in, until the skin broke and blood poured out. Woohyun tried his hardest to suppress the urge to scream out in pain. She frowned.

“Why are you holding back? Scream like you always do. It excites me.”

“As if I’d give you the satisfaction…” Woohyun muttered.

“Oh? What’s this? Are you talking back to me? Tsk tsk, looks like that small eyes is a bad influence. I’ll give you until tomorrow until I eat him.” At that she disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Woohyun sank to his knees, holding his wrist, blood spilling over his hands onto the floor.

“D-damnit…” He cursed. “Sunggyu-hyung…”

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

Thanks for subscribing! Woohyun's secret wasn't even...well there's more to come. He has a lot of secrets. This chapter had like no action...only a bunch of talking. -_-"