Family Ties part 1

Dark Side

Sunggyu and Woohyun finished cleaning the lake, and after stopping at home to get cleaned up, they headed to Sunggyu’s sister, Sun Hee’s house for dinner. Woohyun wasn’t saying anything and merely gazed out the window at the setting sun. Sure they made a promise that Woohyun would tell Sunggyu about the scars, but Woohyun didn’t say when exactly he would tell him. Sunggyu wondered if it was going to be tonight, or next week or in a year.

“I wonder what noona is going to make for dinner~” Woohyun grinned and turned the radio on. Sunggyu remained silent as Woohyun toggled the dial, trying to find a good radio station. He stopped at an upbeat girl group pop song and started singing along to the lyrics.

“Woohyun…”

Woohyun stopped singing and looked at Sunggyu. “Yeah?”

“You—.” Sunggyu phone started vibrating, interrupting his words. “Can you get that? It’s probably noona.”

Woohyun turned off the radio and grabbed the phone and put it on speaker.

“Ya! Gyu where are you?” Sun Hee’s shouted.

“He’s driving.” Woohyun answered. “We’re almost there noona.”

“Oh Woohyunnie~” Sun Hee’s voice turned sweet in an instant. “I’m so glad you’re coming to dinner! I hope you like my cooking.” She giggled.

“Ya!” Sunggyu yelled into the phone. “Stop talking to him like that! You’re a married woman!”

“Oh don’t be jealous Gyu Gyu bear!” Sun Hee laughed.

“Gyu Gyu bear?” Woohyun chuckled as Sunggyu sent him a death glare.

“Who would I even be jealous of?” Sunggyu sighed.

♦♦♦

They finally reached Sun Hee’s house, a humble suburban abode, with an average sized lawn out front, and chalk scribbles on the street, most likely done by the neighborhood kids.

Sun Hee’s husband, Minho answered the door. He was a tall, muscular, dark haired man with stubble, and a friendly smile

“Thanks for inviting us hyung.” Sunggyu said as Minho let them in. “This is Woohyun. Woohyun this is Minho hyung.”

“Nice to meet you.” Woohyun bowed.

Minho patted Woohyun on the head. “You’re short!” He laughed. Woohyun frowned, and Sunggyu snorted.

They headed to the dining room as Sun Hee was placing some dishes on the table.

“Woohyunnie!” She wiped her hands on her apron before pulling him into a bone crushing hug.

“She doesn’t even care about her own blood related brother…” Sunggyu shook his head and sighed.

“Do I have something to worry about?” Minho joked. “The whole afternoon she couldn’t stop talking about him.”

“See? What did I say Minnie?” Sun Hee pinched Woohyun’s cheeks. “Isn’t he just adorable?”

Sunggyu sighed and pulled Woohyun away from Sun Hee. “Control yourself noona.”

“Don’t be so greedy! You get to see him all the time!” Sun Hee pouted.

“You’re hurting his face!” Sunggyu shouted.

“No I wasn’t!” Sun Hee yelled, and then turned to Woohyun. “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“Uh…” Woohyun looked from Sun Hee to Sunggyu, not knowing whose side to be on.

“Either way you’re screwed…” Minho whispered to Woohyun.

“I…I’m hungry!” Woohyun blurted out in an attempt to change the subject.

“Oh of course!” Sun Hee exclaimed. “C’mon. The food’s all ready. Everyone sit.”

“Where’s In Su?” Sunggyu asked.

“He’s already sleeping.” Minho replied.

In Su was Sun Hee and Minho’s two year old son, who was well known for being able to sleep through pretty much anything.

The rest of dinner was spent, on light conversation, mostly Minho and Sun Hee asking Woohyun questions about himself and how work was going for the both of them.

“How was everything?” Sun Hee asked Woohyun with a look of anticipation, after everyone had finished eating. “I know my cooking isn’t the best but—.”

“No it was great!” Woohyun smiled.

“It could have been better…” Sunggyu commented. Sun Hee gave him a dry look, before turning to her husband.

“It’s your turn to do the dishes Sweetie.” She patted him on the shoulder.

Minho nodded, as if he was getting a death sentence. “If I must…”

“You must.” Sun Hee replied.

“If that is your request my dear!” He announced dramatically. “Even if my hands become wrinkled like prunes!”

“Just use the rubber gloves in the drawer.” Sun Hee sighed.

“Even if the steam from the hot water stings my eyes!”

“Don’t put your face so close then!” Minho took Sun Hee’s hand in his a kissed it gently.

“For my dearest Sun Hee I will risk it all!”

She shoved him away, embarrassedly. “Geez go away already!” Minho wore a satisfactory grin as Sun Hee chased him into the kitchen. Woohyun looked at Sunggyu with a confused expression.

“What are they doing?”

“They’re always like this…” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “Its really gross isn’t it?”

Woohyun grinned at Sunggyu. “I wonder if we’ll be like that when we get married.” He paused, when Sunggyu stared at him. “I-I meant when we get married to our wives! I-I didn’t mean like you and me getting married to each other or anything!” Woohyun stammered.

“Y-Yeah I know what you meant…”

“Oh…right.” Woohyun nodded. “…I mean it’s not like we could get married anyways! You know since men can’t get married to each other? I mean it’s not like I want to get married to you even if it was allowed, because I don’t like men like that! I’m straight…” Woohyun wanted to slap himself for blabbering on like that.

“Uh ok…thanks for telling me that?” Sunggyu gave him a questioning look.

Woohyun blushed and looked away. “A-Anyways…”

“Woohyun—.”

“I am straight hyung! I really am!” Woohyun blurted out.

“Ok I get it!” Sunggyu eyed him suspiciously. “Why do you keep talking about that?”

“N-No I don’t!”

“Yes you do! You mentioned it twice already even though I didn’t even ask.” Sunggyu pointed out, and then coughed lightly. “And before at the lake…in the car after I told you my story…when you—.”

“W-what are you talking about hyung?” Woohyun laughed awkwardly. “Let’s talk about something else!”

“Ok let’s talk about your scars…”

Woohyun whined helplessly. “Hyung…”

“Your choice.” Sunggyu shrugged.

“What’s taking them so long?” Woohyun asked, attempting to look into the kitchen. Sunggyu grabbed onto his arm.

“You’re eyes will be scarred if you go in there now.” He warned.

“Why would they—oh…” Woohyun nodded, realizing what Sunggyu was implying.

“Ya!” Sun Hee suddenly appeared behind them, and slapped Sunggyu over the head. “How could you say that? Don’t make us out to be some gross couple that gets all the time!”

“I’m just trying to save him from having to go through the suffering I experienced.” Sunggyu explained.

“Ugh whatever!” Sun Hee glared. “Go help Minho do the dishes!”

“What? Why do I have to do it?” Sunggyu complained.

“Just go you lazy bum!” She shoved him towards the kitchen.

Woohyun got up as well. “I can help too if—.”

“No you don’t have to Woohyun! Sit, sit…” She gestured to his seat. He nodded and complied. “So how’s it going with my brother? Is he bullying you a lot?”

“Not really. He’s…” Woohyun looked down and smiled fondly.

“He’s what?” Sun Hee grinned. “Annoying? Stupid?”

“He’s really something…”

“Something huh?” Sun Hee nodded and leaned her elbow on the table, staring at Woohyun.

“What’s wrong noona?” Woohyun asked.

“Woohyun,” Sun Hee’s expression became serious. “Do you like my brother?”

“O-Of course I do. We’re good friends.”

Sun Hee gave him a knowing look. “You know I didn’t mean it that way.”

“What do you mean?” Woohyun blinked innocently, wondering if Sun Hee had overheard his conversation with Sunggyu.

“Ok fine…I’ll let it go because you’re cute.” Sun Hee gave in and Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief. “Anyways, did Gyu ever tell you about his dating life?”

Woohyun’s eyes lit up. “No...No he hasn’t.”

“Well let me tell you about it then.” Sun Hee smirked. “Gyu started dating when he was about…oh I don’t know ten?”

“Ten?”

“Yeah. The girls loved him for some reason.” Sun Hee laughed. “When he was about fourteen…He got into a lot of bad stuff.”

Woohyun nodded. “He told me about it…”

Sun Hee looked at him, slightly surprised, before continuing.

“Well it just made him more popular. The girls loved a bad boy apparently. He dated here and there, but when he was sixteen, that was when he got his first real girlfriend.”

Woohyun’s stomach was doing weird twists and turns. He didn’t really enjoy hearing that Sunggyu had a “real” girlfriend, someone he really liked, even if it was in the past.

“I don’t even know how they got involved with each other, since she was a grade younger than him. She was a sweet girl, and tried to keep Sunggyu in check. She always worried about him…” Sun Hee explained.

“So why’d they break up then? She sounds like she was perfect…” Woohyun muttered, failing to hide the bitterness in his voice.

Sun Hee grinned, noticing Woohyun’s negative reaction.

“Actually that was the problem. She was too perfect.” Sun Hee told him. “She didn’t have any serious problems in her life. She simply couldn’t relate to Gyu. And Gyu always had to hide everything from her, because she would just get worried and panic if there was a slight chance that he was hurt or in trouble. She didn’t know how to support him at all. The relationship was pretty one sided.”

“Oh…”

“To be honest. I think the whole relationship just put more stress on Gyu. He always thinks he has to take care of everyone and protect them and having someone taking from him and not giving anything back didn’t help.”

Woohyun realized that was probably in part why Sunggyu was always trying to take care of him.

“Since it’s been mostly just mom, me and Gyu…he always feels like he has to protect us. To be the strong one.” Sun Hee sighed. “I just wish he would understand that mom and me…we want him to take care of himself first…to love and care about himself just as much as he cares about us.”

“Noona, I think he does sort of understand…”

Sun Hee looked up at Woohyun. “Really?”

“Yeah…” Woohyun smiled softly. “Because he was the one who helped me understand…well a lot of things…and he actually told me something similar to what you just said.”

“Did he now?” Sun Hee grinned and took Woohyun’s hands in her own. “Woohyun...”

Woohyun blinked. “…Noona?”

“…He really depends on you.”

“Me?” Woohyun shook his head. “No…I’m the one who’s always—.”

“It may not seem like it, but he really does.” Sun Hee said. “You’re the reason he gets up everyday and goes to work, and isn’t off causing trouble.”

“But Umma is the one who got him the job…”

“Yes, but you’re the one who’s keeping him there.” Sun Hee told him. “Just remember that ok? That he really trusts you….and that he may not seem like it, but he’s fragile.” Sun Hee squeezed Woohyun’s hands tighter. “Please Woohyun, keep treating Gyu well…he’s acts all tough, but inside, he’s just a baby.”

“Noona…”

“He needs this…and he needs you.”

Woohyun bit his lip and looked down. “I’ll try…but I don’t know what someone like me could—.”

“You only have to do one thing.” Sun Hee smiled warmly. “Just stay by his side.”

♦♦♦

Meanwhile...Minho and Sunggyu were taking care of the dishes, with Minho washing, and Sunggyu drying.

“So Sunggyu, did you get yourself a girlfriend yet?” Minho asked.

Sunggyu dried a blue plate and put it in the cupboard. “Yeah right…I haven’t even had a chance to think about things like that…”

“Oh, why’s that? Busy with the new job?”

“Something like that…” Sunggyu replied, thinking of Woohyun, and how much time he spent thinking about him.

“Woohyun seems like a nice kid.” Minho said, as if reading Sunggyu’s mind.

“Uh yeah…he’s kind of weird though.” Sunggyu smiled.

“Weird? How?”

“I don’t mean it in a bad way or anything…” Sunggyu explained. “It’s like…” He tilted his head, trying to think of a way to describe what he meant. “Its like he’s weird, but it’s in a cute way. Like even the things that are supposed to be annoying…when he does them it’s lovable?”

“I thought you said you weren’t dating anyone.” Minho joked.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “Don’t even start with that…everyone keeps saying that…”

“Saying what?”

“That Woohyun and I are dating…” Sunggyu sighed. “We’re both guys and yet…”

“Well think about it this way. If Woohyun was a girl, would you date him?”

“No.” Sunggyu answered almost immediately. “If he was a girl, then he wouldn’t be Nam Woohyun.”

“Well of course not. Woohyun isn’t a girl’s name.” Minho nodded in a matter of fact tone.

Sunggyu gave him a dry look. “I meant that I don’t think I could see him as the same person if he was a girl…but then again, I guess it wouldn’t really make a difference what he looks like on the outside.”

“Of course! What is gender anyways?” Minho grinned. “If you love someone, you love them right?”

“W-wait I didn’t say I loved him!” Sunggyu blushed.

“Neither did I.” Minho winked. Sunggyu groaned and put the last dish away, when the lights suddenly went out.

“Is it a blackout?” Sun Hee asked from the dining room. Woohyun immediately rushed to the window, and saw that the lights were on in the house next door.

Oh no…” He thought. “…how did they find me here?” Minho and Sunggyu walked into the dining room, with a lit candle and a flashlight.

“What happened?” Sun Hee asked.

“I don’t know…” Minho shrugged. “Maybe it’s a short circuit?”

Woohyun dragged Sunggyu aside into the dark corner, near the window. “Hyung…look.” He pushed back the curtain, and pointed to the house next door, that had the lights on.

“So it’s not a power outage then?” Sunggyu assumed. “If the people next door have electricity…”

“I think I know why the power went out…” Woohyun said, grimly.

“You think its something supernatural?”

“I think they’re here for me.”

“What? Why for you?” Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun shut the curtain, leaving them in the dark again. “I have to leave now. Then they’ll follow me.”

“Woohyun!” Sunggyu grabbed onto the younger male’s arm. “What are—?”

“There’s no time hyung! Noona will be in danger. C’mon.” He pulled on Sunggyu’s wrist. Sunggyu took a moment to register the fact that Woohyun intended for Sunggyu to come with him to help him fend off the monsters. Instead of telling Sunggyu to stay inside and attempting to handle it all on his own. Sunggyu decided to be happy about that later, and for now to concentrate on the task at hand.

“Noona!” Sunggyu walked up to his sister. “We have to go.”

“Why? What’s wrong?” Sun Hee asked.

“It’s for our jobs.” Sunggyu told her, skipping out on the explanation, because their time was limited. “Don’t leave the house ok?”

“Thanks for dinner noona! It was great!” Woohyun smiled, and then grabbed Sunggyu and rushed out the door. He took out a piece of paper from his pocket and smacked it on the front door.

“What’s that?” Sunggyu asked.

“A seal.” Woohyun replied. “Just in case, they try to get in noona’s house, this’ll stop them. Let’s go.”

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

I just called Sunggyu's sister Sun Hee, because I didn't know her real name. And Minho..Idk there's a ton of celebrities with that name XD

Thanks for subscribing and commenting <3