Gangsters part 11

Dark Side

Fortunately Sunggyu and Woohyun were saved from an uncomfortable breakfast with Sunggyu’s mother because Mi Seon had called them in for some kind of meeting down at the SC station.

Sunggyu parked the car in the station parking lot and sighed.

Woohyun glanced at him before looking out the window.

“I…I wonder what Mi Seon noona wants to see us for.” Woohyun attempted a light tone. He stared worriedly at Sunggyu who absently gripped on tightly to the steering wheel.

Woohyun hesitantly rested his hand over Sunggyu’s white knuckles.

Sunggyu instantly softened, letting go of the wheel and holding onto Woohyun’s hand instead.

He turned to him. “Are you going to be ok? It...it’s probably about Ilhoon.”

Woohyun averted his eyes. “I’ll be fine.”

“Don’t lie.” Sunggyu sighed.

“I’m not!” Woohyun met his gaze with determination. “Hyung…really. This time, I’ll be fine.” He swallowed nervously. “What about you? Will you be ok—?”

“Are you really asking about me right now?!” Sunggyu blurted out. Woohyun winced slightly at his sudden aggressive tone. Sunggyu noticed and heaved a quiet sigh, massaging his temples. “I just….” He turned to Woohyun again and held onto both his hands. “I care about you Woohyun-ah.”

Woohyun stared at his lap, playing with the edge of his jacket sleeve.

“I…I care about you too.” He almost whispered.

Sunggyu sighed softly as he placed a gentle hand on Woohyun’s head, his hair softly. He leaned in and kissed Woohyun’s forehead.

Woohyun looked up at him and Sunggyu attempted a small smile.

“Let’s go.”

Woohyun watched Sunggyu open the car door and get out and then proceeded to do the same.

He always thought of Sunggyu as someone on a completely different level than him. Like Sunggyu was an angel in heaven and he was nothing more than a monster drowning in the pits of hell. He never understood why Sunggyu would care so much about him when Sunggyu was so perfect and…well Woohyun was not.

But he started to realize something as he walked a step behind Sunggyu, watching the somewhat lonely back of the older male.

Sunggyu was not an angel. And Sunggyu was most certainly not residing in heaven. Sunggyu was human just like him. Sunggyu was suffering just like him. And Sunggyu wasn’t on the highest pedestal looking down at him. Sunggyu was right there beside him, struggling in hell—struggling just to get to the surface again. Struggling to just feel ok—just like him.

Woohyun realized that in that way they were exactly the same.

He quickened his steps to catch up to Sunggyu so he was walking right beside him. Sunggyu turned to him and Woohyun gave him a small smile and grabbed his hand, giving it a little squeeze.

♦♦♦

As soon as they entered the office Woohyun was practically tackled into a hug by Sungjong of all people. Woohyun was a little too shocked to react and kind of just stood there blankly.

“Y-You dummy…” He heard Sungjong murmur in his ear and he felt a wetness on his cheek.

“Are you…crying?” Woohyun stammered.

“Y-You weren’t waking up and Hoya hyung and Dongwoo hyung said you were acting reckless!” Sungjong mumbled, suddenly pushing Woohyun away and wiping his eyes with his sleeve. “What am I supposed to do? Of course I was worried you stupid hyung!”

Woohyun blinked, looking to Sunggyu who was smiling warmly.

“I don’t…” Woohyun looked down for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck. Then he met Sungjong’s teary eyes and awkwardly patted the taller boy’s head.

Sungjong, who despite his young age was always holding himself together so strongly.

“Sungjongie…” Woohyun smiled softly, the boy’s head. “I’m sorry I worried you.”

“You’re both idiots!” Sungjong pointed at Sunggyu as well.

Sunggyu pointed to himself in shock. “Me? What’d I do?”

“You’re both stubborn s! Just tell us if something’s wrong! We’re your friends too!”

Sunggyu and Woohyun exchanged a glance before turning to Sungjong.

“Mm.” Woohyun nodded with a reassuring smile. “We’re sorry Sungjong. We won’t worry you anymore, ok?”

Sungjong snorted. ‘You’re such a liar.”

Woohyun laughed awkwardly, and looked away, while Sunggyu sighed helplessly.

“We’re really grateful Sungjong,” Sunggyu began. “But we—.”

“I know, I know.” Sungjong rolled his eyes. “You can handle it yourselves.”

“No…” Sunggyu shook his head. “I wasn’t going to say that.” He bit his lip. “I…we’re really grateful. Thank you for being worried about us. But we…there’s some things both Woohyun and I are going through. Some things…we have to work through ourselves…” He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling uncomfortable. He wasn’t used to being open about the fact that he had insecurities and issues—or what he thought of as weaknesses. “But I mean the thing is…there is something you can do for us.”

Sungjong’s eyes lit up at that, though he still seemed somewhat skeptical. “…There is?”

“Yeah.” Sunggyu smiled a little. “Just keep being our friend.”

Sungjong frowned. “That’s it?”

“Ah and you can whack Woohyun when he gets annoying.” Sunggyu added, jokingly.

Woohyun chuckled. “Yeah you can—hey wait!”

♦♦♦

As soon as they entered Mi Seon’s office, she looked up from her laptop and she smiled—though it seemed somewhat forced, like she had a lot of things on her mind.

“Woohyunnie! You’re ok!” She clasped her hands together, and then gestured for them to sit at the two chairs in front of her desk. She opened up the pink box on the table by her computer. “I brought some pastries from that bakery around the corner! Help yourself!” She pushed the box across the desk towards them.

Sunggyu immediately opened the box to inspect the pastries while Woohyun eyed Mi Seon suspiciously.

“What’s wrong noona?” He frowned. “You seem…off?”

“Oh Woohyun-ah you really know how to flatter a lady.”

Woohyun leaned forward, resting an elbow at the table. “What’s wro—awfa.” His question was interrupted by the sweet syrupy piece of pastry shoved into his mouth by Sunggyu. He chewed and turned to Sunggyu, attempting to show the older man his dissatisfaction with his eyes. But the pastry was really good and he ended up forgetting about being angry for the interruption.

“You didn’t eat breakfast. You need to eat.” Sunggyu told him before turning to Mi Seon. “So what’s wrong?”

Mi Seon sighed. “Ok…well there’s good news and bad news. Which would you like to hear first?”

“Surprise us.” Sunggyu retorted.

Mi Seon closed her laptop, folder her hands on the table. “Well…Ilhoon is gone.”

“Gone?” Woohyun choked. “What do you mean gone?”

“Obviously we weren’t allowed to keep him in holding without any solid evidence of his involvement with the supernatural. He was taken to a regular jail for his illegal actions on the human side of things—violence, hiring ex-cons to attack people and such. But…he disappeared two nights ago from his cell.”

“Great, so no one knows where he is?” Sunggyu frowned.

“Not so fast~” Mi Seon hummed, wagging a finger in the air. “That’s where the good news comes in! We managed to get a list of places where he may possibly be located.”

“Ok?” Sunggyu nodded. “So how’re you going to—?”

“And well that’s the thing. You’re both going to have to go to those locations.”

“Us?” Woohyun blinked, wiping a crumb from his lips.

“I mean that’s fine.” Sunggyu folded his arms in thought. “But why not send other officers too? Wouldn’t that save time and be a more efficient way to—.”

Mi Seon averted his eyes. “It won’t just be the two of you…”

Woohyun and Sunggyu exchanged a confused glance.

“Um…I don’t understand.” Sunggyu finally said. “You—.”

“At the first location….the boss will meet you there.”

Woohyun blinked. “Wait you mean he’s back already?”

“He…he wants to meet Sunggyu.” Mi Seon smiled weakly and Woohyun suddenly became serious. Sunggyu looked from Mi Seon to Woohyun in confusion.

“Uhh what does that mean? Someone help me out here?”

“Anyways,” Mi Seon cleared . “All the locations are fairly isolated,” She opened up her laptop, scanning the list. “A cabin deep in the forest, a cave, a small town in the countryside, and an island. We were lucky to even narrow it down to these specific locations.”

“How is that lucky?” Sunggyu frowned. “How in the world are we going to find him with such basic information—?”

“You should be glad he didn’t leave the country as far as we know!” Mi Seon interjected. “Anyways, you better pack and prepare, your first destination will be the log cabin in Ecto wood. Your train leaves this afternoon.”

“Ecto wood?” Sunggyu asked.

“It’s a forest known for being connected to spirits.” Mi Seon explained.

“Or in other words, ghosts.

♦♦♦

“Aren’t you scared that we’re going to a forest filled with haunted spirits?” Woohyun asked, as he and Sunggyu packed their luggage for the trip in Sunggyu’s room.

Sunggyu, who was lounging on his bed, watching Woohyun pack, snorted. “I’m more scared of this supposed “Boss” you all keep talking about. Everyone makes him seem like he’s really scary or something.”

Woohyun chuckled as he folded a shirt and placed it in his bag.

“Nah, he’ll love you. Everyone likes you hyung.”

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “Have you met me?”

Woohyun ignored Sunggyu’s self-deprecation and skipped towards the closet again, looking rather peppy as he packed.

“Why do you look so happy?” Sunggyu sat up on the bed. “You’re acting like you’re going on some fun school field trip or something.”

“Well,” Woohyun grinned, as he tossed some jeans into his bag. “This is our first trip together and everything.”

“Stop making it seem like we’re going on some couples retreat.” Sunggyu sighed. “This is work Woohyun.”

“Hyung…” Woohyun pressed his palms to his cheeks, pretending to act shy. “This is my first time going on a trip with a lover—.” He managed to easily dodge the pillow Sunggyu flung at him and laughed. “Don’t worry hyung, I’ll promise to treat you gently on our first night—.”

“Yah! Come here!” Sunggyu was storming towards him now. Woohyun chuckled and dashed to the other side of the room. Sunggyu managed to grab his wrist, though that was probably because Woohyun was laughing too hard to be able to run away. “Should you…” Sunggyu clutched onto his arm, pulling him closer. “Should you really be saying things like that?”

“Huh?” Woohyun smiled obliviously.

Sunggyu bit his lip, leaning into Woohyun’s face, causing the younger man to back away a little.

“Since this morning…” Sunggyu breathed in his ear. “You—.”

Woohyun coughed lightly, pulling away from Sunggyu’s grip.

“Uh…” He laughed nervously. “W-We still need to pack.”

“Yah what’s wrong?” Sunggyu couldn’t help but find Woohyun’s sudden shyness really amusing. “Weren’t you the one always whining about us not sleeping together yet. And now what happened?” He walked up behind Woohyun who was sitting on the floor, busying himself with folding and unfolding clothes from inside his bag.

“This…t-this isn’t the time for that.” Woohyun attempted to keep his voice steady and stern. “Hyung we need to prepare for—.”

“Are you a ?”

Woohyun choked on his own saliva and turned around to look up at Sunggyu in disbelief. “W-What?!”

“Well I mean…” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. He sat down next to Woohyun. “I-I mean you did have that demon following you around so maybe—.”

“S-She wasn’t around all the time!” Woohyun stammered, face flushed with color. He cleared his throat and looked away. “H-How could you even say that about me?”

“Relax.” Sunggyu patted his thigh. “It’s not like it’s a bad thing to be a—.”

“I’m not!” Woohyun gasped.

“Ok.” Sunggyu nodded slowly.

“You don’t believe me.” Woohyun frowned. “Why don’t you believe me?”

“Its not that…” Sunggyu assured him. He pursed his lips, and averted his gaze. “Its just…sometimes you seem really—.”

“Really what?” Woohyun cut him off almost immediately. He was staring at Sunggyu with a somewhat moody look, like he was seriously pissed. But Sunggyu could tell that more than being angry, Woohyun was fearful that Sunggyu possibly thought less of him.

Sunggyu chuckled and smiled in an attempt to calm Woohyun. “Cute. Sometimes you’re really cute.”

Woohyun blinked. “What does that have to do with being a ? There’s plenty of people who are cute but aren’t s. You’re cute hyung—wait!” Woohyun held a hand up, narrowing his eyes on Sunggyu. “Are…are you…?”

“Hm?” Sunggyu tilted his head.

“A…A ?” Woohyun’s voice suddenly became quieter.

Sunggyu smiled just a little in amusement. “Do you want me to be?”

Woohyun frowned and stood up. “That’s not an answer.” He mumbled and returned to packing his bag.

“So how do you think we should go about finding Ilhoon?” Sunggyu decided to discuss work instead since he could sense Woohyun’s uncomfortable demeanor. “I mean I’m guessing there aren’t going to be many other people around if he’s hiding out in one of those locations…but I mean I think we should try talking to him when we...” Sunggyu frowned when Woohyun kept his back to Sunggyu, as the younger man grabbed some sweaters from the closet. “Yah…” Sunggyu got up and walked up behind him. “Are you listening—?”

Woohyun suddenly whipped around so fast, not expecting Sunggyu to be standing right behind him. He almost elbowed Sunggyu in the ribs but Sunggyu managed to grab his arm just in time.

“I’m not…” Woohyun murmured, hesitantly raising his head to meet Sunggyu’s eyes. “I’m not a .”

Sunggyu sighed softly, resting a gentle hand on Woohyun’s head.

“I don’t care whatever you are…you know that right? Besides I don’t think it matters…I guess I shouldn’t have brought it up in the first place but—.”

“I’m…” Woohyun clutched onto the edges of Sunggyu’s loose t-shirt. He looked up at Sunggyu, biting his lip. “I’m…” He looked down again, tightening his grip so hard that he almost trembled. Sunggyu lowered his head so he could see Woohyun’s expression, just as the younger looked up. Then he smiled awkwardly. “W-What?”

Sunggyu caressed the side of his face. “You were trying to say something?”

Woohyun cleared his throat and let go of Sunggyu’s shirt. “I just…wanted to make sure you knew that. Y-You know I’ve had a lot of experiences—ok not enough that I would be considered easy or anything. But I mean its...its just been a while because I’ve been busy these past few months and—.”

“Months?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

Woohyun averted his eyes. “O-Ok fine years…whatever. Its not a big deal anyways.” He brushed past Sunggyu, who immediately clutched onto his arm and pulled him back into the walk-in closet.

“Woohyun-ah…” Sunggyu gripped onto both his arms now, and leaned in, biting his lip, somewhat nervously. “I-I love you ok?”

Woohyun averted his eyes, and Sunggyu could sense the guilt b in the younger man’s entire being. “…W-Why are you saying—?”

“I-I’m saying it because its true!” Sunggyu stammered. He knew it wasn’t right to be raising his voice but he just had this aching need to make Woohyun understand. Woohyun looked at him, seemingly un-affected by the yelling. He opened his mouth to speak, and Sunggyu guessed it was another protest.

“No, shut up.” Sunggyu interrupted.

Woohyun blinked. “But…I didn’t say anything yet—.”

“I already know what you’re going to say.” Sunggyu suddenly pressed closer, his lips grazing Woohyun’s.

Woohyun slowly placed his hands on Sunggyu’s chest to stop him from getting any closer. “Uh hyung we should…this isn’t the time for—.”

“Do I really have to make you shut up again?” Sunggyu sighed and Woohyun immediately remembered what happened that morning. His stomach churned and turned and jumped and did somersaults and basically the whole freaking Olympics was going on his stomach.

But the strange thing was…it didn’t feel bad at all.

Uncomfortable, yes. But painful, no.

He held in his breath and shook his head.

Sunggyu smiled softly and his head. “Yah…” The moment Woohyun looked up Sunggyu’s lips were on his. Woohyun instinctively opened his mouth to speak, which obviously wasn’t happening with his mouth being occupied. Sunggyu took it as a chance to deepen the kiss and pressed Woohyun against the closet wall. While one hand was holding Woohyun’s face, he used the other to clutch onto Woohyun’s hand and intertwined their fingers. Woohyun made a whimpering sound but Sunggyu didn’t know if it was in protest or pleasure. He didn’t want to risk making Woohyun uncomfortable or anything and broke off the kiss, breathing softly against Woohyun’s lips.

“Are you…is it ok—?”

Woohyun nodded almost too quickly and eagerly, clutching onto the folds of Sunggyu’s shirt with his free hand. “K-Kiss…” He breathed, cheeks flushed under the dimly lit closet light.

Sunggyu wondered if this was the real Woohyun. He felt like he was scraping through the hard concrete wall that made up Woohyun’s personality to find the hidden treasure underneath. Underneath all those monster fighting skills, good looks, seemingly breezy actions and smiles, there was this rather nervous, rather small, sensitive person.

But Sunggyu kind of thought it didn’t matter. Because although he probably wouldn’t admit it in mixed company, he liked all the parts of Woohyun—the good, the bad, even the stuff he didn’t understand.

Woohyun suddenly cleared his throat snapping Sunggyu out of his dreamy thoughts.

“Hm?” He stared at the now grumpy looking Woohyun. “Ah…right ok.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “We should go pack.”

Woohyun’s shoulders immediately slumped in disappointment.

“I…didn’t mean that…” He murmured, but Sunggyu didn’t hear him.

“Hey, did you pack the toothpaste?” Sunggyu called out, already making his way to the bathroom.

That’s not what I meant Gyu hyung…” Woohyun sighed and leaned against the closet doorway. He put a finger to his lips, realizing he probably wasn’t getting anymore kisses, at least for now.

♦♦♦

Sunggyu studied the list of locations Ilhoon might possibly be on his phone as he and Woohyun were sitting in the train. The first location, Ecto Wood was about an hour away. Sunggyu didn’t think this whole idea of searching was very smart at all. Ilhoon could easily be at any of the locations. Who’s to say he wasn’t at one of the other locations while they were looking for him in Ecto Wood. But Mi Seon had ordered them to do it like this, so maybe she knew something they didn’t.

“Could it be…they put a tracking device on him…?” Sunggyu wondered. He turned to Woohyun who was sitting beside him. Woohyun immediately sat up straighter when Sunggyu turned and stared at the older man expectantly. Unfortunately Sunggyu didn’t seem to notice and pursed his lips, deep in thought. “Woohyun…”

“Yeah?” Woohyun leaned forward a little too eagerly. He was thanking his lucky stars he made sure to apply some lip balm but a few minutes ago.

“Do you think its possible the SC officers put some kind of tracking device on Ilhoon?” Woohyun’s shoulders immediately slumped in disappointment.

“Oh…its about that.” Woohyun mumbled.

“I mean how is it possible they locked onto these specific locations…well I mean I guess its possible if they have police over there who have spotted him or something…and why wouldn’t they send out more officers to each of the locations…”

“You didn’t know?” Woohyun yawned. “They have Supernatural Conservation centers everywhere. Even at all those locations, there are offices close by. We’ll meet up with the officers there and work with them.”

“How would I know that?” Sunggyu frowned. “Nobody tells me a damn thing!”

Woohyun shrugged and instead stared out the window at the moving scenery. Sunggyu sighed and eyed Woohyun suspiciously.

“…Are you ok?” He patted Woohyun’s knee.

“Hm?” Woohyun jolted slightly at the touch, and kept his gaze out the window. “Y-Yeah of course. I’m fine.”

Sunggyu leaned closer in an attempt to see Woohyun’s face. When Woohyun met his gaze, Sunggyu flashed him one of those naturally cute smiles and Woohyun instantly melted. He smiled embarrassedly and looked down and Sunggyu chuckled.

“Aigoo what’s wrong? Why are you getting shy?” He pinched Woohyun’s cheek.

“I-I’m not.” Woohyun whimpered and pulled Sunggyu’s hand away. But then Sunggyu leaned in.

“I know what you want…” He whispered into Woohyun’s ear, his hand resting on Woohyun’s thigh now. “But not here ok?”

Woohyun squinted, awkwardly rubbing his own arm. He his lips, staring at a faint scratch on the window. Someone had etched some swear word on the glass. He laughed awkwardly. “H-Hyung is being weird…” Sunggyu’s hand subtly slid just a little bit higher up Woohyun’s leg and Woohyun could feel those soft lips grazing the shell of his ear.

“And Woohyunnie is being cute.”

Woohyun immediately stood up, face burning up and his heart beating a little too quickly. “I-I need to stretch me legs!” He stumbled down the grey walkway, hanging onto the metal red painted pole in the middle of the train car, back to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu couldn’t help but find it way too amusing.

♦♦♦

After arriving at the first location, Sunggyu and Woohyun stepped off the train and walked through the train station. Sunggyu suddenly stopped and gripped onto Woohyun’s arm when he spotted an old man holding a sign with their names on it.

“Is that…the boss?” He asked nervously, gesturing to the balding, rather stubby man, holding up a neon sign.

“Ah,” Woohyun chuckled. “No, definitely not. But yeah I guess he’s from the SC headquarters here.”

They approached the man and Woohyun explained who they were.

The old man nodded with a cheerful smile then he laughed heartily.

“That’s great, you only made me stand out here and wait for two hours you bloody s.”

Sunggyu was kind of speechless, especially since the old man had such a kind smile despite his words.

“Should I stick my foot up your bloody s and make them even more—?”

“Uh, m-maybe we should get going?” Woohyun laughed awkwardly, gesturing to the station exit.

The old man nodded, with that same calm smile that seemed to be plastered on. “Very well, you rude little bastard…even interrupting me.” He muttered as he led them out of the station and to his car.

♦♦♦

The drive to the station was short—about fifteen minutes and it gave Sunggyu and Woohyun a chance to see some of the town’s scenery. However there wasn’t much to see, except trees, and more trees. The narrow dirt road was the only break in the dense, lush pine trees that seemed to be never ending.

It almost seemed darker, despite it only being afternoon, with the tall trees covering much of their view of the sky. But Sunggyu felt like it was something else too. Ever since they stepped off the train he felt it. This town felt different. He didn’t know how or why, but it just did.

He nudged Woohyun, who was sitting beside him in the cramped backseat of the old man’s tiny beat up car.

“Doesn’t something feel off?” He whispered to Woohyun.

Woohyun turned to him, and Sunggyu could see from the look in his eyes that Woohyun was on guard too.

“It’s the spirits.” Woohyun murmured. “We have to be careful hyung.”

“Why?” Sunggyu whispered.

“Because if you’re not strong of self, they’ll use your body for their own selfish desires.” The old man, who’s name they learned was Seungchul piped up from the driver’s seat.

Sunggyu cleared his throat. “What do you mean by that? Like…possession?”

“Yup.” Seungchul grunted. “These little creeps are just waiting for someone weak that they can use to help them seek out their last wishes or whatever.”

“But…that doesn’t sound so horrible.” Woohyun mumbled. “If you can help them achieve their last wish—.”

“Yeah that’s what they’ll make you believe. And before you know it they’ll be taking over your body and soul and you’ll be the dead one.”

Woohyun and Sunggyu exchanged a concerned look.

“How…how do we avoid that happening to us?” Sunggyu asked.

“Easy. Don’t be a weak- .”

Sunggyu frowned. That was really not helpful at all.

Woohyun, however zoned out, and looked out the window. He noticed something sparkling amongst the trees. He blinked, once, twice and it was gone. He wondered if it was just his imagination.

♦♦♦

“Oh well look who it is.” The nurse lady scoffed, leaning in the door way of a log cabin hidden deep in the woods. Ilhoon smirked and brushed past her, easily strolling into the cabin, with Minwoo following behind him.

“I knew we’d meet again Kyungri noona.” He hummed, casually inspecting his cuticles.

“You little brat, I don’t want anything to do with you after you just let that bastard SC officer Nam Woohyun go.” Kyungri sneered, folding her arms.

“Oh really? But I don’t think you’re in a position to be talking to me like that.” Ilhoon’s expression darkened, as he took a step towards her. “Or did you forget what I did for you.”

Kyungri bit her lip, averting her gaze and Ilhoon knew he had won. He smirked, studying her face carefully.

“Looks like your fangs are disappearing.” He grinned.

“What do you want this time?” Kyungri muttered. “A hideout?”

“As you know, me and Gyu hyung are having a fun little game of hide and seek. I’m sure they’ll be coming soon enough to look for me.”

“So what?”

So I’m hoping you have cable~’ Ilhoon hummed and plopped down on the single sofa and grabbed for the television remote.

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

Hey anyone remember that nurse lady from a couple chapters back? Well now she has a name. Its Kyungri from ninemuses~