Gangsters part 9

Dark Side

Random update in the middle of the night~

Warning: There will be angst

-

“I can’t believe you’re really going on a date with that stupid kid.” Woohyun folded his arms, pouting, as Sunggyu plopped down beside him on the sofa.

“It’s not a date.” Sunggyu sighed. “We’re just going to eat dinner, and hopefully I can get him to talk about whatever he’s planning. Like with that nurse lady and everything…I’m sure he has something big planned.”

Woohyun leaned his elbow on the arm rest, the epitome of sulkiness.

“Yeah I guess…”

“Seriously, stop being jealous. I don’t even like Ilhoon. He’s just a kid.”

“How am I not supposed to be worried?” Woohyun frowned. “He wants your !”

Sunggyu choked on his water, barely managing to contain his laughter.

“Don’t laugh, it’s true!” Woohyun bawled his fists, angrily punching the arm rest. Sunggyu smiled and patted Woohyun’s head, ruffling up his hair.

“Well you don’t have to worry, because I’m not gonna give it to him.”

Though he was joking, Woohyun looked to be seriously contemplating his words. He met Sunggyu’s gaze with worried eyes.

“You promise?”

Sunggyu sighed. “You…you know I was kidding right?”

“So you’re going to give it to him?!” Woohyun gasped.

“What?” Sunggyu blinked. “No! That wasn’t even an option! I’m not giving it to anyone except you—oh wait that came out wrong, I-I just mean…I mean you get what I mean right—?”

“Hyung…” Woohyun interrupted Sunggyu’s rambling. He kept his gaze down, folding his hands in his lap. “Can you do something for me before you go?”

“Sure.” Sunggyu turned to him with concern. “What do you—?”

“Could you…touch me?”

“W-What?” Sunggyu choked.

Woohyun turned to him with a small smile. “I don’t mean in that way, please get your head out of the gutter Gyu-nim…though I wouldn’t mind that either.” He winked and Sunggyu coughed lightly and averted his eyes.

“I-I wasn’t thinking anything.”

Woohyun chuckled weakly, before his smile faded completely and he sighed softly.

“I…right now I can’t even hug you or hold your hand, and its…” Woohyun pursed his lips, his hands clenched into fists on his lap. “Its making me feel like I’m getting farther away from you. I kind of hate it.” He looked down bitterly. “But I…I don’t know what to do for now, since the antidote’s gonna take a week, and…I don’t know if I can hold on for that long, but maybe if you—.”

Sunggyu suddenly placed a warm hand on either of Woohyun’s cheeks, instantly shutting him up.

“Like this?” Sunggyu’s eyes smiled softly, as they met Woohyun’s.

Woohyun closed his eyes, letting out a deep breath he didn’t realize he was holding in.

Before he could say anything there was knock at the front door.

“Ah…looks like I have to go.” Sunggyu got up, and Woohyun sighed sadly, but followed him anyways.

At the door was Ilhoon, with his police accompaniment of Hoya and Dongwoo.

“Thanks guys, I got it from here.” Sunggyu told the two SC officers.

“Are you sure?” Dongwoo asked with a concerned expression. “We can stick around.”

“Yeah.” Hoya nodded in agreement. “To make sure he doesn’t try anything funny. Like try to escape or—.”

“Don’t worry. He won’t.” Sunggyu seemed pretty confident about that. And Hoya and Dongwoo both noticed the dazzled look in Ilhoon’s gaze that was directed towards Sunggyu.

“I’ll be back in a few hours.” Sunggyu turned to Woohyun. “I’d tell you not to wait up but I know you won’t listen and you’ll wait anyways.”

Woohyun shrugged, averting his eyes with his hands in his pockets. It was obvious he was bitter about the whole thing. Sunggyu sighed and patted his head.

“Its just for a little bit, ok?” He said. “I’ll be back soon—.”

“Are we going hyung?” Ilhoon interjected, rather impatiently. “Its rude to be flirting with someone else in front of your date, you know?”

Sunggyu shot him a dry look, before cupping Woohyun’s cheeks and pulling him in for a kiss right there.

Ilhoon’s jaw dropped in rage, while Hoya rolled his eyes and Dongwoo chuckled lightly.

Woohyun was taken off guard, and merely stood there, slowly letting his eyelids close as he felt Sunggyu’s lips move against his own. It wasn’t like he could do anything else anyways.

“It won’t be for long ok?” Sunggyu breathed, resting his forehead against Woohyun’s. “I need you to be ok while I’m gone. Mom’s not going to be home…”

Woohyun didn’t say anything and kept his eyes down.

Sunggyu sighed and rested a hand on Woohyun’s head, before turning to Dongwoo and Hoya.

“Could you guys…?”

“Don’t worry.” Dongwoo assured him. “We’ll handle it.”

“We’ll make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.” Hoya added.

“Thanks.” Sunggyu sent them a small grateful smile. He gave Woohyun one last hug and then left with Ilhoon.

As soon as he left, Dongwoo turned to Woohyun.

“Woohyun, how about we do something fun? Like we could watch a movie or—.”

“No thanks.” Woohyun looked up with a painfully forced smile. “I think I’ll just hang out here.”

“Fine, then we’ll stay too.” Hoya decided.

“No that’s ok. I was just going to go to sleep.” Woohyun nodded, leaning in the door way.

“Sleep? Its only eight—.”

“I’m kind of tired, it’s been a long day.” Woohyun sighed. “And plus it’ll be better if I’m sleeping so I don’t have to think about what hyung is doing.”

Dongwoo and Hoya exchanged a worried glance.

“Ok…” Hoya agreed reluctantly. “But we’ll just stay over until Sunggyu hyung comes back.”

“Yeah, we’ll be down here. Call us if you need something.” Dongwoo added. Woohyun nodded casually and went upstairs.

Hoya turned to Dongwoo, skeptically. “He’s probably gonna try to escape.”

“Probably.”

♦♦♦

“Its not fair! How come that dumb idiot gets a kiss?” Ilhoon complained as he and Sunggyu walked to the restaurant. “I should get one too then!”

Sunggyu stopped in his tracks. “Are you serious?”

Ilhoon paused in his steps, turning to face Sunggyu. “Of course I am! Why wouldn’t I—?”

“Why the hell would I ever even want to touch someone like you?” Sunggyu interrupted. “You…you messed with the person I love. He’s probably more screwed up than before because of you. If you really cared about me at all, you wouldn’t do that. You’re just some stupid kid who doesn’t care about anyone but yourself, and you think everyone around you are just pawns in some twisted game you’re playing.”

Ilhoon stared at him flabbergasted. “Hyung—.”

“No wonder Hyunsik refused to talk to you. What’s the point with someone like you anyways—?”

Ilhoon’s eyes widened at the mention of the other man’s name. But he didn’t say anything and averted his eyes.

“You…you really hate me now, don’t you hyung?”

Sunggyu stared at the boy for a moment. His light colored bangs casting a shadow over his eyes. His frame was still that of someone young…it was fragile. And Sunggyu couldn’t bring himself to be completely cruel to Ilhoon.

He sighed. “I don’t hate you. But I don’t like you right now, either.” He finished and began walking again. Ilhoon looked up with wide eyes and hurriedly followed after him.

♦♦♦

To Dongwoo and Hoya’s surprise, Woohyun was actually sleeping. He was in Sunggyu’s bed, eyes closed, breathing softly. They even poked him a few times and attempted to pull the covers off to make sure it was really him and not just some pillows stuffed under the comforter or something.

After they made sure to secure the window so Woohyun couldn’t get out, they headed downstairs to wait for Sunggyu to come back.

As soon as they left, Woohyun opened his eyes. He sighed quietly, clutching onto the comforter. There was no way he could fall asleep. Not with everything currently weighing on his mind. He buried his face into Sunggyu’s pillow and for a moment it was peaceful. He imagined it to be Sunggyu’s chest, remembering how he always used to fall asleep on it, as he inhaled the soft scent.

He felt sick to his stomach imagining what Sunggyu was doing with Ilhoon right at that moment. He hated it so much and his thoughts were practically torturing him.

He sat up knowing he had to do something.

He couldn’t sit and wait. He just couldn’t.

He pulled off the covers and fiddled with the window latch, but it wouldn’t budge. Hoya and Dongwoo must’ve done something, he figured. But unfortunately the two didn’t seem to realize that Woohyun could use the window from Mrs. Kim’s room. So that’s what he did. He felt the cold night air on his skin as he crawled out the window, lowering his body as much as he could without letting go of the ledge. There was still a rather large gap between his feet and the ground, but Woohyun had jumped from higher distances before and easily landed on his feet into the damp grass. His ankles stung a little, but he barely paid any attention to it.

He almost felt a high as he ran. A weightless feeling as he floated down the street.

“Hyung, I’m going to you! Just wait!” Woohyun’s heart was throbbing wildly as he raced across passing couples and such. “I’m coming to…” But then he stopped mid-step, his heart crashing to the floor just like his energetic high. “To…what? Gyu hyung is…he’s doing this to find out about Ilhoon’s plan. He’s…doing his job. But I…” Woohyun breathed, clenching his fists. “…What am I doing?”

He took a second to look around. People brushed past him, busy going wherever it was they were going, some were smiling and chatting, others blank faced. But they all looked so…set. They knew where they were going and who they were going to go with.

Woohyun bit his lip, staring at his open palms.

“What am I doing…?”

He looked around hazily, spotting a couple of real intimidating looking guys in leather jackets cornering a lady near a dark alley. It didn’t look good at all and he knew he had to do something.

“Excuse me.” He approached them with hands in his pockets, causing them all to turn. “But I don’t think that lovely lady is interested.”

A gruff, bearded man, gave Woohyun a once over and immediately smirked. He signaled for the other three guys to release the woman, who immediately ran away.

 Then the man—apparently he was the leader of the group—cracked his knuckles. “Ah…and what’re you gonna do about it Nam Woohyun?”

Woohyun hesitated. “How…how do you know my name?”

“We’ve been waiting for you.” One of the other guys with slicked back blonde hair smirked. “Yah,” He nudged the leader. “This is the kid Ilhoon wanted us to take care of?”

“Ilhoon?” Woohyun frowned.

“Yeah he just wanted us to play with you a little, while he finishes up his little date—.”

“It’s not a date!” Woohyun interrupted.

The men exchanged confused stares. “Uh ok? Whatever, but the point is—.”

“Gyu hyung would never date that little weasel!” Woohyun pouted.

“Is this really the guy?” One of the other men nudged the leader.

“I…I think so.” The leader scratched his head. “You’re Nam Woohyun right?”

“Yeah and guess what?” Woohyun folded his arms. “You can tell that stupid kid that he can it, because—.” Suddenly the blonde guy lunged forward, throwing a punch. Woohyun easily dodged it.

“We’re not much for small talk.” The leader smugly remarked. Then he gestured for the other men to attack. Woohyun dodged a few punches and kicks with ease, but when he kicked one guy in the stomach…reality hit him hard. The burning sting seeped through his shoe scalding his foot. He whimpered at the unexpected pain, falling backwards onto his bottom.

The leader snorted. “Psh, he’s nothing. He’s already down.”

The panic finally set in for Woohyun. He couldn’t touch them…which meant he couldn’t fight them. He couldn’t fight anymore.

Woohyun’s breathing became heavy, staring horrified at his hands. Without fighting…there was nothing else. He couldn’t do anything else. He couldn’t protect anyone. He couldn’t protect Sunggyu.

He was useless.

Before he had time to react, the leader grabbed him by his shirt collar and slammed him against the brick wall of the alley way. Woohyun winced, reaching up to push the man away, but then he had to stop himself. He would just end up getting more hurt if he touched the man.

“What’s this?” The leader was a little too close to his face now, and his breath stunk of alcohol, cigarettes and other toxic substances a person could possibly expose themselves to. “Not even resisting?”

Woohyun turned his head to the side, his jaw clenched, and his hands balled into fists. He felt sick to his stomach, and so, so weak.

It was hopeless…

The voice in his head…that poisonous voice in his head told him.

Without his fists, he had nothing else. He wouldn’t be able to do his job. He wouldn’t be able to protect Mrs. Kim or Sun Hee. He would just be a burden on Sunggyu. He remembered how hard Sunggyu was trying to support him before he left with Ilhoon. How hard he was trying to make everything ok for the both of them.

But I…” Woohyun bit his lip, a tear fell as he kept his gaze down. “I only make things worse for him...I…I should just—.”

“Don’t tell me, he’s actually crying?” The blonde guy snorted. “What a pansy!”

The leader’s voice was gruff as he chuckled, and Woohyun could almost feel the man’s stubble scratch his face.

“Should I make you cry some more—?”

Woohyun suddenly kneed him in the gut so hard the guy actually stumbled backwards. Woohyun ignored the pain in his knee and charged towards the group, eyes dark and almost beastly.

He started out with the leader, aiming a kick to his gut, sending him roughly to the ground. But he didn’t stop there. He grabbed the lid of a nearby metal trash can and proceeded to slam it against the leader’s head over and over again until the man was out cold. Bruises covered the man’s face and blood spilled from his (probably) broken nose and his split lip.

Woohyun cracked his knuckles, breathing hard, as he turned to the others.

“Which one of you little es is next?” He muttered darkly as he tossed the lid to the side, resulting in a loud clanging noise.

The men all stared at him, clearly shocked. But they quickly brushed it off and went for him all at once.

He grabbed two guys and smashed their heads together, knocking them both out cold at once. The blonde guy was the only one left.

Woohyun eyed him, noticing the man’s wide, frightened eyes.

“What?” Woohyun smirked, dusting his burning hands. The pain was practically eating his body alive. It hurt everywhere, and his heart was throbbing wildly. He just wanted to collapse and never wake up, because the pain was just too much. But instead he kept his ground, staring the clearly intimidated man down. “Why aren’t you moving? Did you crap your pants or something?”

That ticked the blonde man off and he lunged for Woohyun.

But Woohyun dodged the man’s punch, tripped him and kicked him in the back without even turning around. The man fell flat on his face and Woohyun proceeded to stomp on his back, digging his heel into the blonde’s skin, ignoring the man’s weak cries.

“Woohyun!”

Woohyun was startled out of the trance like state he was under, and looked up to see Dongwoo and Hoya running towards him. Woohyun looked around, as if he had just woken up, staring at the blood on his hands. His eyes went wide and he could feel a sting in the back of his eyes.

And he ran.

He ran and ran and didn’t look back.

Tears streamed down his cheeks, and his skin burned.

His vision went blurry and he tripped on the dark street, his knees hitting the concrete. He panted, digging his finger nails into the gravelly ground until his fingers bled.

Tears fell to the ground as he slowly turned his hands over to once again see the blood on his hands.

“What…what the hell is wrong with me?”

♦♦♦

“Ok, we’re here, and we’re eating dinner.” Sunggyu folded his hands on the table, staring down Ilhoon across from him. “So talk.”

Ilhoon frowned. “Do we have to do that now? Let’s just have fun—.”

“Who was that woman? The one who pretended to be my nurse?” Sunggyu continued. “She definitely wasn’t human, I know atleast that much. Are you working with the supernatural now? Who are you working with—?”

“The East V gang.”

Sunggyu blinked. “…What?”

“That’s who I’m working with.” Ilhoon shrugged. “Ok, I told you. Now you have to do something for me! You have to kiss—!”

Sunggyu’s phone vibrating interrupted him.

“Hello?” Sunggyu pressed the phone to his ear. “Dongwoo?”

“Hyung, its Woohyun! I’m sorry we tried to—!”

Sunggyu’s eyes widened and he immediately got to his feet.

“Where are you?” He turned around, spotting Dongwoo and Hoya rushing into the restaurant.

“Hyung!” Dongwoo panted as they approached the table. “He escaped! And he beat up some guys!”

“Like to a bloody pulp.” Hoya added. “He annihilated them!”

“Where is he?” Sunggyu continued, urgently.

“We don’t know!” Dongwoo bit his lip. “He just ran when he heard us calling for him.”

“Stay with him.” Sunggyu ordered, gesturing to Ilhoon, before charging out of the restaurant.

♦♦♦

Sunggyu knew where Woohyun was. It was really the only place he would go in such a state.

He pulled up outside the creepy mansion and raced towards the door. He pushed open the rusted wood door, frantically looking around.

“Woohyun!” He called out.

It was completely dark.

He searched the cobweb covered kitchen and the dusty hallways, before hurrying upstairs.

“Woohyun, where are you…?” His hands were shaking. Woohyun looked so unstable when he left with Ilhoon. Sunggyu regretted ever leaving his side.

It was really dark but luckily the hallway light worked. Though it was only one flickering dim bulb that almost made the place creepier if that was possible.

Sunggyu pushed open door after door, only to find empty rooms. In one room he found a spider the size of a rabbit and hastily shut the door.

He was pretty sure he had looked in every room, but there was no sign of Woohyun.

“Where are you…?” Sunggyu leaned his arm against the wall, attempting Woohyun’s number on his phone. But then suddenly the wall was moving, and Sunggyu ended up falling through it into what appeared to be a secret room. Though how it managed to stay a secret was beyond Sunggyu because it was huge and one side was cluttered with weapons of all kinds, chains, and splintered wooden pieces.

Sunggyu spotted Woohyun on the floor in the center of the room. He was on his knees, hunched over, back facing Sunggyu.

But as he got closer Sunggyu could see red splotches coloring the rickety floor boards underneath and around Woohyun.

“Woohyun!” He dropped to the floor beside the trembling man.

Woohyun didn’t look up, but he didn’t have to, because Sunggyu already saw the worst. Woohyun’s bloodied fingers were digging into the stained floor, and there were deep red gashes across and around either of his wrists. In one hand he was clutching onto the blade of a rusty kitchen knife, blood seeping between his fingers.

Sunggyu’s hands shook as he took Woohyun’s hand, forcing his fingers open, and pulling the blood soaked knife away. He threw it to the other side of the room and it made a loud clanging sound—a contrast to the dark silence filling the room.

“I’m s-sorry…” Woohyun whispered hoarsely between violent sobs.

Sunggyu didn’t say anything, staring silently at the deep cuts etched into Woohyun’s flesh.

“I…” Woohyun finally looked up and Sunggyu’s heart almost broke. Woohyun’s eyes were red and swollen, and his cheeks were flushed from crying too much. His lip was cut from biting it to prevent more tears from coming out. And then Woohyun chuckled weakly, between his sniffles. “I…I thought I should just c-cut them off.” He looked to his hands again. “They’re…so useless anyways…all they ever do is hurt.” And then he stared at his red palms. “I…a-all I ever do is hurt.” He smiled the most broken smile Sunggyu had ever seen. “I hurt others…I hurt myself…I hurt you.” He swallowed, looking at Sunggyu, with a weak, helpless gaze. “I’m sorry hyung…I-I couldn’t—.” His words were muffled, as Sunggyu wrapped his arms around Woohyun’s shoulders.

Sunggyu voice was soft, relieved in Woohyun’s ear.

“You’re still here.”

Woohyun’s lower lip trembled, his chin resting on Sunggyu’s shoulder.

“Thank god…” Sunggyu breathed and Woohyun lost it again, staining Sunggyu’s shirt with his tears.