Sungyeol

My Lucky Star

"Bad new's? What kinda bad news?" I raise my left eyebrow.
"Well. I know you have a thing for Scarlett so don't get mad alright?"
"Yeah, I won't. What is it?"
"Well, Scarlett's parents had arranged her to marry her parent's friend's son. So they're kinda officially engaged I guess."
My heart skips a beat and my fists clench. I grit my teeth and say "I'm not mad. What you talkin about?"
"Okay, thats good then. Do you wanna go?"
"Yeah, I'll go. Got nothing better to do anyway."
"Oh yeah, just don't mention it okay? Scarlett will throw a fit if her arranged marriage is mentioned."
"Yeah, I'll try not to. See you in a bit." I punch my pillow thinking of how I had just realized that I liked her and just decided I was fighting for her. Now it's all going to waste. Just great.

I was in the car on my way to the bowling alley. I wonder who the guy is that they approved of him so quickly. I mean, I'm so much better. I can sing! I bet he can't. Damn it! Now I gotta step up my game. I finally arrived and got out of the car and went inside. Everybody else was already there having a good time. I walked up to my group of friends realizing we had someone join us who I've never met before.
"Woohyun!" My friends run up to hug me excluding Scarlett and Kati.
"Hi Woohyun." Kati says shyly. I nod and wave at her and turn to look for Scarlett. She was standing next to the new guy. I'm guessing he's my rival competitor. Scarlett finally skips up to me calling my name.
"Woohyun! Your finally here!" She hugs me quickly then looks towards the new kids direction. He was standing there with his hands in his pockets. She tugs on my hand and drags me over. "Um. Woohyun this is Sungyoel and Sungyeol this is Woohyun!"
I stop glaring his way and flash a smile. "Hey, Sungyeol! Nice to meet you." I extend my hand for him to shake it, he takes my hand.
"Hey, nice to meet you too."
"So how do you know Scarlett?" I ask him. He hesitates and looks at Scarlett who is talking to Sungjung.
"Uh, well. We're child hood friends. Its just she says she doesn't remember me." I smirk.
"Oh, well thats her! She forgets easily. Let's join the others." I walk over to everyone else and he follows behind. I sit down in between Myungsoo and Sunggyu.
"Yah. Seem's like you gotta step up your game." Myungsoo tells me.
"Oh yeah sorry I didn't tell you he was coming. My parents made Scarlett make him come."
"I don't need to step up my game, Scarlett's already in love with me. It's fine." I tell the both of them. Hoya joins us and sits down next to Myungsoo.
"Dude! You got some competition!" Hoya says a bit too loud, I think Sungyeol heard.
"Psh just because he's taller than all of us doesn't mean Scarlett automatically loves him. Sunggyu, Sungyeol says that he's a childhood friend of Scarlett's. Wouldn't you know him as a childhood friend too then?"
"Yeah. I remember him when I was little but I only remember his face. I don't remember what he's like though." I nod my head and stand up and walk over to Scarlett and Sungyeol.
"Hiya Scarlett! Having fun?" I put my arm around her shoulder and put my weight on her.
"Yah! Oppa! Your too heavy!" I chuckle and pinch her cheeks and walk over to Sungjung. I sit down next to him watching Sunggyu help Kati bowl.
"Hyung, he's younger than you." Sungjung says simply. I was a bit confused until I look at Sungjung and he nods towards Sungyeol.
"He is? How much younger?"
"A year. That means Scarlett is his noona."
"Why are you telling me this?"
"Because, honestly I like you with Scarlett noona better." Sungjung was the maknae of the group and even though he was the maknae he was the one who worried the most for his hyungs. Sungjung was 2 years younger than me but sometimes he seemed more mature.
"Thanks." I headlock him release him and then ruffle his hair. He smiles at me then gets up to bowl since it was his turn. Scarlett and Sungyeol walk over to me and sit down but Scarlett quickly gets up because Hoya was yelling her name telling her it was her turn. That left Sungyeol and I alone.
"Do you like her?" I ask Sungyeol.
"Well it seems I have no choice." What a cover up. I know he liked her. Seeing the way he interacted with Scarlett just showed that he liked her.
"I know you like her. I'm not going easy on you." He looks at me confused but I just stand up and run up to Scarlett giving her a high five for her strike. Then it was my turn to bowl.

Bowling was pretty fun for the most part, I made myself forget about Scarlett and Sungyeol's relationship. As we were heading out I ran over to Scarlett.
"Who'd you come with? I can take you home."
"I came with Sungyeol actually." She fidgets with her fingers. "I can go home with you though. Since we live closer." She runs over to Sungyeol. I watch her as she explains to Sungyeol. He nods but says something and comes over.
"It's fine, Woohyun. I can take her home. Her parents asked me too anyway."
"It'll save you some gas. I only live a block away from Scarlett." He finally gives in and turns to Scarlett.
"Make sure you tell them I went home safe and sound okay?" Scarlett nods and he runs off waving. I take Scarlett's hand and we head towards my car.

"Hey, Woohyun? Can we go to that one place again?"
"We should name it. You can't always call it "that one place" all the time."
"Let's call it... Star Hill!" I nod and drive off.
"Star Hill, here we come."

We get out of the car and head to our usual place. She sits down first as I stretch before laying down beside her.
"Do you like Sungyeol?" She stays quiet, until she sighs.
"Yeah. I do like Sungyeol." My heart drops but I keep my cool. "I like him, but it would be so much better if we were only noona and dongsaeng. My parent's want me to marry him. I'm sorta engaged with him right now." She scoots over to me and puts her arms around me and places her head on my chest. All the while I tense up under her touch. "I don't like him like my parents want me to. I really wish he was only my little brother and my parents would let me off. But my parent's they never back down from their decision." She releases me but then clings onto my arm again hugging my arm like a pillow. She closes her eyes and says, "I just want to stay like this. Stay like this under the safety of the stars forever." This is when I notice she always acts tough and as if nothing bothers her. Tonight, she showed a different side of herself. She's the most delicate thing in the world, which only made me want to protect her even more than before. Also making me even more determined to fight for her. "I love the stars. That's why I've decided to become an astronaut. So I could be up with the stars whenever I want."
"Scarlett." She finally opens her eyes and looks up at me. "We both know that I like you." Guilt flashes in her eyes. She sits up and stares me down.
"Woohyun."
"Let's get you home. Your parent's must be worried." I get up and extend my hand to help Scarlett up, she takes my hand and I pull her up.

"Is it okay if I come inside?" We were standing on her doorstep.
"Um. Sure, why not?" She leads me inside. I take off my shoes and follow her inside. As we get into the living room her parents are in there waiting for Scarlett to get home.
"Scarlett, where have you been?" Scarlett was about to say something but I cut her off.
"I'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Jang. I'm sorry I brought Scarlett home so late." I bow as I talk.
"That's fine, Woohyun. I'm sure Scarlett was the reason behind it."
"I guess you could say she was the reason why I brought her home so late. The reason why I brought her home so late is because," I look over at Scarlett, "I love her." I get down on my knees. "Please Mr. and Mrs. Jang. Don't make her marry Sungyeol. She doesn't love him." Dongwoo comes out of his room.
"Woohyun! What are you doing?" Dongwoo puts his arms around me and tells me to stand up and I do. I stand up and face Scarlett's parents. "Mom dad Woohyun's right. Scarlett doesn't love Sungyeol, you shouldn't make her do this."
"I know I'm young, I know I just realized that I love your daughter but marriage is something very big to Scarlett. Marriage is a commitment to the other person for life. She doesn't even remember Sungyeol, she can't possibely make a commitment to him for life already." I see Scarlett's parents faces relax a bit and her father speaks.
"Woohyun, we've already made the decision, but they're not getting married as soon as possible by any means. They're not even engaged yet, if you truly love our daughter, in the mean time prove to us that you really do love her and the marriage will be called off."
"Appa! He's even here begging you guys isn't that enough already?" Dongwoo defends me.
"Dongwoo, thank you but of course your parents are right. This isn't enough to prove to them that I love Scarlett. I'll prove to them one day, I promise you. I promise all of you." I take Scarlett's hand. "And you. I especially promise you that I'll show I love you more than anyone." She finally looks up at me and I swear I see love and admiration flash before her eyes. I smile at her and bow to her parents. "Thank you for hearing me out." I turn and bow to Dongwoo. "Future brother-in-law I thank you for defending me. I'll take me leave now." I bow once more and I walk out the door, before I close the door though Scarlett stops me.
"Why'd you do that?" She looks at me intently but I just smile.
I lean down to her level and place my hands on her shoulders and say, "haven't you been listening? It's because I love you babo!" I then hug her, I place my chin on her head. She finally wraps her arms around me also, I then kiss her forehead and say "Just like the infinite number of stars, my love for you is infinite."