"Because of you."

My Lucky Star

I just got done with my homework and is now laying in bed thinking of what to do.

To: Scarlett
From: Woohyun

What are you doing? I'm so bored. =[

To: Woohyun
From: Scarlett

........

To: Scarlett
From: Woohyun

?

To: Woohyun
From: Scarlett

Wanna come over and help me?

To: Scarlett
From: Woohyun

Sure?

To: Woohyun
From: Scarlett

No wait. Take that back. I'm coming over. Since your parent's still aren't home yet. No one will bother us. :]

I was lounging around waiting when I heard a knock on the door. I open it up and Scarlett runs inside right past me under my arm. She went up to my room so I go up also. "What's up with you? Why are you so secretive today?" She doesn't answer me and just puts a finger to her lips. She sits down on my bed and I follow suit.
"Okay, so I have this singing competition coming up and since your so good. Wanna help?" I open my mouth to try and say something but she cuts me off. "BUT! You can't say a word about this to anyone. Okay?" I tilt my head in confusion.
"Um, sure I'll help. But why can't I talk about? Wait, why would I anyway?"
"I don't know. Now help me! I have only two days. My vocalist teacher said that she doesn't think I can do well in the competition I wanna prove her wrong."
"That still doesn't tell me why I can't talk about it." She stays silent and goes through her backpack and finds what she needs and raises it in the air in triumph.
"This is the piece I chose to sing. It's an American folk song, I'm sure I have the pronunciation right but the timing and my pitch is off." I take the music sheets out of her hand and take a look at it. Its been such a long time since I've held any of these music sheets. It felt nice.
"You want me to correct your timing and pitch?" She nods furiously and I laugh. "I'm sorry but I thought I told you I gave up on music." She looks at me. She just stares at me and I know she's thinking of something but I don't know what.
"I'm sorry but I thought I told you to not give up on your dream?" I look up at her. Maybe helping her won't be so bad.
"Fine. I'll help." She jumps up and down and hugs me.

Come, all you fair and tender ladies. This warning here of all young men. Like glowing stars of early morning, they brightly shine, then fade again. They fill your ears with loving stories, and make you think they love you true. Straight way the go and court another, and that's the love they have for you.

As Scarlett was singing her piece called Come, All You Fair and Tender Ladies I couldn't help but think is this how she see's guys? Was it why she just blew off our kiss as nothing and acted as if it never happened? I kept playing the piano as she sang. And in that moment, I swear we were infinite. She sang so beautifully, her voice almost angelic. As we get to the end of the song I stop playing the piano and sit there looking at Scarlett. She just stands there beside the piano and looks at me also.
"You're supposed to correct me now."
"I think your perfect." She fidgets with her fingers and paces infront of the piano.
"Okay, maybe this was a bad idea." Her cheeks now a rosey color, puffs out. "Oh geez. Okay, let's pretend I never came over." She grabs her stuff and starts shoving her stuff in her backpack. I go up to her and give her back hug with my hands on her hands to calm her down. I take her hands and wrap them around herself.
I softly whisper, "Shhh, It's Okay. Close your eyes." We start to sway to and fro. I quietly hum her song into her ear. And when I'm done, she stands still and turns around to face me.
"To be honest. I don't know why I'm doing this competition, well because it's required for choir. So it should really be I don't even know why I joined choir." She tried to give off a sarcastic look but immediately looks down disappointed.
"Let's get back to work. To be honest you did really well. You were a bit shaky in the beginning but it was good." 

 

 

It was Scarlett's competition night and of course I had to go and watch. Even though she forbid me to go, she can't do anything about it. I was sitting alone waiting for her turn. Finally she got up on stage. She really looked even more beautiful in the spotlight, with all the lights on her.
"Hello! My name is Scarlett. The tittle of the piece I'm going to perform is Come, All You Fair and Tender Ladies arranged by Luigi Zananelli. An interesting aspect of my piece is that the melody is rarely heard in the piano part." She began her song perfectly as I had corrected her. Her timing was right on the dot as I had corrected. The song soon came to an end. I was so proud of her. She sounded beautiful, she definitely proved her vocalist teacher wrong.

The results from the judges finally came in. The MC announced 3rd place to be this boy, 2nd place.... Scarlett? I was sure she was getting 1st place.

Afterwards I went back stage to congratulate Scarlett. I look around for her for a while when I see her small frame.
"Scarlett!" She turns around and see's me. I run up to her and pick her up, I hug her squeezing her as tight as I could.
"Yah! Can't breath!" She said gasping for air. I put her down and ruffle her hair.
"2nd place! Good job! Oppa is proud of you." She smiles very wide and shows off the trophy she got.

We were in the car after her competition, she must've been tired. She wasn't speaking and she just looked out the window.
"How come your parents weren't there? You didn't invite any of your friends either? Not even Kati?" She didn't say anything. I thought she would just want to go home and rest. Instead of taking her home and letting her rest I took her to now our favorite place to go whenever we were troubled. We got out of the car and sat at our usual place. We were just looking up at the stars until Scarlett broke the silence.
"Woohyun? Can you please take my advice and stick with your music career?" That took me by surprise. I look over at her and she's looking up at the stars intently. "With your kind of talent. You can't just let it go to waste." She turns to face me. "It was because of you that I got 2nd place. It was because of you that I proved my teacher wrong. It was because of you that I brought myself to overcome something. It was because of you that I went against my parents and went to this competition. You asked earlier why I didn't even ask Kati to come. It's because I know how it feels to have your dreams ripped away from you. It hurts, to know that your dream will never happen. So like you, I never wanted anyone who knew me too well to hear me sing. But again Because of you I overcame that." She takes my hand. "Please, Woohyun. I don't like seeing people suffer. People all around the world suffer. Seeing you, one more person suffering breaks my heart." I just stare up into the sky. Not answering her. Of course I've always thought of continuing my music career. I've just never gone through with it because of my parents. I love my parents and I don't ever want to lose them. I turn my entire body to face her this time.
"Thank you." That's when I decided to pursue my career and fell even more in love with her. But I knew I was just another person her big warm heart sympathized for.