Chapter 6: Shallow is a no no!

Different Galaxies

Gracie's POV

"You better think twice about Himchan! Considering where he lives, he might be the kind to get into stuff you shouldn't be in'' Olivia is lecturing me while she helps me get ready for my 3rd blind date. It was already a week since she picked me up from Himchan's place and she keeps warning me about "people like him", she was starting to sound like my parents.

"Olivia, why does is matter where he lives, he doesn't seem like a er or anything" I tell her as I prepare everything for her to do my hair.

"Maybe he doesn't seem like it, but you never know!"

I disagreed, I'm not that type of person to judge someone because they might live in unstable neighborhood, I wouldn't want someone to think they know me based off my neighborhood, they might get the wrong idea.

While finishing up getting ready I hear the doorbell downstairs. 

"Sounds like your date is here. I'll go see how he is then come back up to tell you the details" she says then rushes downstairs. 

As I'm picking out my outfit I come up with this "experiment."

"The guy seems okay, you should-" Olivia is clarifying as she's walking in my room but stops when she sees what I have on.

"You like it?" I ask her as I do a spin so she can see the full outfit. I put on sweatpants, a crew neck, tied my hair up into a bun, and wiped all my makeup off. 

"Why did you change?"

"They say girls look best this way" I state and go downstairs. 

My mother freaks when she see's what I've decided to wear.

"Grace, your date is here, don't you think you need to quickly get ready and not make him wait" she says with clenched teeth.

"I am ready mother. I call it, the comfy look" I tell her and smirk.

My date is looking at me, he's Hispanic and I can hear his strong accent when he tells me "Hello" and that his name is Javier Contreras.

Before I could speak my mother pulls me aside.

"Go change! Now!" she orders.

"No, I like what I'm wearing"

"You're just doing this to try to get out of the date" she assumes.

"No, I'm testing him"

I walk over to him, introduce myself and tell him I'm ready to go. 

"Uh...okay" he responds and we leave out.

We get inside his black Rolls-Royce Phantom and drive off. On the way, he keeps glancing at me.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" I ask him.

"I can't help but notice you're wearing shabby clothing" he answers. 

"Yes, I know"

"Wouldn't you rather put on more prettier clothes than those?"

"Not really"

"But we're going to the Opera, everyone is going to be dressed fancy-like"

"Oh well"

We pull up to the theater and he rushes me inside as if he didn't want anyone to see me. As we take our seats I get countless looks, I even heard a man ask if I was a hobo in Spanish,but he didn't know I understood him. 

The show was going to start in half an hour, so Javier and I had some time to talk. But he wasn't interested in what I was saying, he was still too caught up on my outfit.

"I'm sorry Grace, but can I take you back home to change or something? People are staring at us"

"Who cares if people are staring"

"I...care"

"Fine if it really bothers you that much, I have a dress on under this" I get up and cause a scene as I head to the bathroom. I take my sweats and crew neck to reveal a long peach colored dress with a sweetheart top, I fix my hair, and put on make up.

When I go back to sit next to Javier he's in shock how good I look now. 

"Wow, you look incredibly gorgeous" he tells me, I just roll my eyes and wait for the Opera to start.

All throughout the opera I can see Javier staring at me, when it's finally over he grabs my hand and leads me out slowly as if he wants everyone to see that I'm with him, but he was in such a rush earlier.

We get to his car, but I don't get in when he holds the door open for me.

"Why aren't you getting in?" he questions.

"Because you're a shallow bastard"

"Excuse me?"

"You were too worried about how I look! I hope you know that how I looked before is how I look on a regular basis, and what I look like now comes once in a blue moon. I don't like dressing fancy and I'm definitely not about to change that because you care what other people think when we're together" I lay it out for him.

"Well when you're with me, I'll buy you extravagant clothes so you'll never have to look like a homeless person again"

"You're not getting it!" I yell then walk off. 

Seeing that this is the first two didn't' go well, I was prepared if this date went bad. I heard my mother calling the theater this opera was playing, so I parked my car around the corner earlier this morning. 

I got inside and just drove, I didn't really know where to go. I couldn't go home because my parents would nag me, and Olivia was at my house. I looked around to see where I was and it seemed somewhat familiar, then I realized this was where I was when I ran out on my first date. Where Himchan worked was near here.

Himchan's POV

"Have a nice day" I tell the two guys who just made a purchase. It was slow today. It was slow other days but it was particularly slow today. I was fixing the display case when I feel someone tap on my shoulder. I turn to see it was Charlotte, my ex-girlfriend that just will not leave me alone. 

"Why haven't you've been answering my texts and phone calls?" 

"Because I don't have to"

"Don't act all high and mighty! You think you're too good for me now?"

"I didn't say that. Look Charlotte, I'm working. Harass me when my shift is over"

"I'm not leaving until you answer me! Why do you keep rejecting my texts and calls?"

I knew she would keep asking me if I didn't give her a steady answer, so I had to think quick so she'll go away.

"Because...I have a girlfriend now" 

"Yeah right! No one wants you! You we're lucky enough to get me"

"It's true, now go away"

"I'll go away when I see proof, let me see some pictures or something"

"We just started dating, I don't have any pictures"

"Of course you don't. What's her name?"

"...Gracie"

"Gracie? That was the best you could come up with?"

"She's real!"

Gracie's POV

After about half an hour I finally find the shop where Himchan works. I change out of my dress and back into what I had on before, I tied my hair up and wipe all the make-up off again. 

When I walk into the shop I see Himchan talking to this girl, and by the looks of it she seems to be pissing him off.

I get closer to hear and the last thing I here is "She's real!"

"Who is real?" I ask and they both turn around to look at me. 

"No one" Himchan replies.

"I knew you were lying! Can you believe this guy? He's trying to convince me he's dating some girl named Gracie?" the girl tells me. I look towards him and he's red.

"I do believe him actually" I tell the girl.

"Why? You don't even know him?"

"I do know him. I'm Gracie"

"You're Gracie? So he wasn't lying after all"

"And you are?" I ask her.

"I'm his ex-girlfriend, Charlotte"

"Nice to meet you Charlotte"

"I guess I better get out of here since I just embarrassed myself" she walks out and I look over at Himchan and he smiles at me, his face still red.

"Let me explain-" he begins.

"No need, I kind of pieced it together when she told me she was your ex'' I inform him.

"So what brings you back to the shop?" he leans on the counter and gets closer to my face.

"I was in the neighborhood and I remembered you worked here, so I came by to say hi" I left out the part that I was driving around searching for the store.

"Well I'm glad you did"

My phone goes off and it's a text from Olivia. Javier already told everyone our date ended short. I respond that he was too shallow. Seconds later she replies asking me where I was. When I tell her I'm with Himchan she flips out and starts lecturing me again. She doesn't believe me when I say he's a nice guy. To prove her wrong I invited him back to my house. 

"I have to wait until my shift is over" 

"How long until it's over?"

"In about thirty minutes" 

"I'll wait" I look for somewhere to sit and when I see a chair nearby I go and take a seat.

"You're going to wait for half an hour?" he asks me.

I nod my head.

"I noticed you look more comfortable than usual" he comments.

I know he wasn't about to complain like Javier.

"Yeah, I didn't feel like putting on actual clothes this morning"

"I don't blame, I have days where I'm rockin a plain shirt and basketball shorts"

"Which would you rather prefer, a girl in sweats or a girl in a dress?"

"It doesn't matter to me, girls can pull off any outfit in my book" 

I liked that answer.

"You're a pretty nice guy Himchan"

"I try" he jokes and a customer walks in. 

Finally when his shift is over, and another employee takes over and Himchan and I get in my car.

"You have a car?" he seemed surprised.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know" 

Himchan's POV

I was surprised she could afford a car in the condition she was in, I couldn't even afford a car.

While driving to her house I noticed we were passing huge houses. Then the car stops. I look out to see we had stopped in front of a big house.

"C'mon" she gets out and I follow behind her.

"Welcome to my lovely abode" 

"This is your house?" it was bigger than my entire neighborhood put together.

"It sure is"

She's rich!