Chapter 15: Letting it all go

Different Galaxies

Gracie's POV

Niko and I were just awkwardly standing there after he confessed to me.I wasn't sure what to say. 

"You don't have to answer right now, I'll give you some time to think about it" he said before I could say anything. He probably realized I was shocked by the whole asking to be his girlfriend thing. I watched as he went back to his car, I turned around and went inside. 

My parents had fallen asleep so luckily I didn't have to say how my night went and just go straight to bed. I changed into more comfortable clothes and got in my bed. I stared up at the ceiling, thinking, until I fell asleep. 

That next morning, my mother woke me up with breakfast in bed, but she only did it to hear about Niko and I's night.

I told her about it half heartedly and when she asked why I didn't seem excited about it I lied and said I was just tired. I finished my small breakfast which was some scrambled eggs and toast and my mother took the tray downstairs. 

My phone began to go off, and I looked over to see it was Himchan. I smiled, he wanted me to meet him at this junior high. I get dressed and slip out before my parents can question where I was going and I didn't have to make anything up. 

I walked to the junior high since I didn't want my parents to hear the engine of my car. 

I saw Himchan standing in the front of the school, listening to music. I tapped his shoulder and he spun around and when he seen me a big smile came across his face. 

Then he squeezed me against his chest and told me he missed me. I laughed and he let me go. 

"Are we waiting for your sister to get out?" I ask.

"Yeah, she texted me this morning saying she didn't want our mom to pick her up since she's always hours late" he explains to me and I nod, "and I told you to come because I promised we would hang out today, so I did two things at once" 

Soon we hear the bell for the school to get out and we watch as all the children pour out of the front door. I watched as some girls came out dressed like grown woman and the guys looked like thugs. 

It wasn't hard to fine JooRi, since there weren't many Asians that attended the school. She ran up to Himchan and hugged him and I was surprised when she reached over and hugged me too. 

"I've missed you two" she tells us as we start walking, and we both smile at her.

She tells Himchan and I about her day as we're walking her home. She seemed to of had a good day since she kept smiling throughout the story, finally we had reached their house and a car was parked outside. They way Himchan looked at it, you could have sworn the car was pure evil. 

As we got closer to the door, we could hear yelling. Himchan told us to stay outside and used his key to go inside. It was quiet for a moment as I was standing with JooRi, but she had a worried expression on her face, was I supposed to be worried as well? 

There were a few more seconds of silent then a loud crash sounded and more screaming arises. JooRi covered her ears and started crying. I wanted to go inside and see if everything was alright, but one I couldn't leave JooRi out here alone, and two if there was any fighting going on I would just get in the way since I was far from knowing how to fight. 

Suddenly we hear glass break and JooRi rushes in, and I go after her. She stopped a few steps from the door and I was right behind her. She had stopped because some man was on the floor with broken glass all around him, as if he fell on some glass table, while Himchan stares at him breathing heard from anger. That's when I realized, from all our conversations, that the man was their father.

 JooRi takes a step forward but Himchan told her to stay away from him. Their mother helped him up out of the broken glass and glared at Himchan. 

"You come into my home and destroy everything! Get out!" she screams.

"If he's not going to leave, then why the hell should I?" he barks back. 

Their father throws a punch at Himchan and hits him in the jaw, and soon they start fighting right there. Their mother pulls them apart as I'm still holding JooRi back. 

She scream at the top of her lungs for Himchan to get out before she calls the police and he storms out the door. 

Then their parents look at me. 

"Who the hell are you?" their father asks me in a loud deep voice,I was about to turn around and leave but I was frozen.

"Don't talk to her like that" JooRi stands up for me.

"JooRi, go to your room!" her mother orders her and she listens and just leaves me there.

"Are you going to answer me dammit?!" their father gets louder. 

I still find myself trapped in between a rock and a hard place, then Himchan comes back for me, grabs my hand and pulls me out. 

We stop in the middle of the sidewalk and I thank Himchan for saving me because I never really been in a situation like that. 

He tells me "you're welcome" and clutches his arm. 

I take him to Olivia's house since we weren't far from there, and when I show up at the door with a beat up Himchan she lets me in. We go to her bathroom and I get the first aid kit from the cabinet as Himchan sits on the closed lid toilet. 

He's still clutching his arm, he quickly 's his flannel and points to his arm and there's a big piece of glass stuck in his arm from the broken table. I pinch the edge of the glass still exposed in his arm and tell him I'm about to pull it out and he just nods. I grasp it tight and yank it out, and Himchan winces in pain. I clean it and bandage it then go on to his face. 

I finish off his face and place a band aid on a cut his cheek. 

"There I fixed you up" I declare and I smile at him and a receive a small smile back. 

I go and ask Olivia for a shirt I could give Himchan since his was full of blood, and she hands me one of her brothers shirts and I throw Himchan's away in the garbage outside. 

He slowly puts the shirt on as he keeps biting his lip in pain. 

Once Himchan gains some strength, he thanks Olivia for letting him use her brothers shirt and first aid kit and I also thank her and we leave out the door. 

We're walking down the sidewalk and Himchan's extremely quiet. 

"So..." I say, "it's a nice night"

'Yeah I guess" he says in a bitter tone. 

"You can really see the stars tonight"

"Yeah you can"

"You can't really see them in my part of town"

"Look, Gracie if it's okay with you, can we walk back in silence?" he requests and I stop talking. 

We get to Yongguks apartment door and Himchan says bye real quick and tries to speed in but I grab his wrist.

"Wait Himchan don't you want to talk about it?" I ask.

"Not really" 

"You can't just keep stuff like that bottled up, you need to talk about it"

"I rather not"

"Well I rather you do, and I'm not going to let you go until you agree"

We stand there for a minute and then he finally speaks.

"My father is such an ! I hate him! He brings hell into both my mother and sister's life! And my stupid mother keeps letting him back in whenever he feels like it! The last time he was back was when I was in elementary school and I haven't seen him since, until today! I hate her too, she's so pathetic to let him back into her life!" he goes off, then he turns around and puts his face in the nape of my neck and I can feel his tears on my skin. 

"And the worst part is that, I don't even hate my father, I was just mad he left my mother when she was pregnant, but I actually missed him a lot, but I could never tell him that, I could never tell anyone that. And I don't hate my mother either, I just hate how she treats me!" he says. 

I put my arms around his neck and the back of his head to comfort him, we slide down to the floor. He lets it all out and I listen as he goes on about pretending it didn't bother him when people brought up his father, and how he feels bad that his mother had to raise two kids alone, and that he tries to stay out of trouble for his mother's sake but it's hard considering where they lived. 

Eventually he got all his feelings out and lifted his head up. He wiped his face and his eyes were red and puffy. I hand him a napkin I found in my pants pocket and he cleans the rest of his face. 

"Thanks for listening Gracie" he tells me. 

"Anytime" I reply and he comes closer to my face and kisses me, ever so sweetly then breaks it. 

"Will you stay with me?" he asks as he laces our fingers.

"Of course" I answer and we go inside. 

Yongguk was sleeping, we heard his loud snoring, we quietly went into Himchan's room and this time he gave me pajama bottoms to sleep in so I didn't take my jeans off in the middle of the night again.