Life's Curveballs

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Took me one year to realise I haven't even updated this story. I try, I really try. Hope some of you still reads this, and thanks to all of you who have waited patiently even from the very beginning! This is my holiday's gift to all skytempo shippers. Happy New Year everyone!

 

______________________________________

 

The train halted and people came pouring in the station. The collective stomping slightly shook the ground, but he had no energy to go anywhere anymore. If there was a stampede, he’d gladly want the people to trample over him. But when the crowd cleared, standing in front of him was the woman he was looking for.

 

“Dara.”

 

“Seunghyun, I’m sorry.”

 

 

--

 

 

Seunghyun’s heart was beating so loud as he felt eternities pass by, waiting for Dara to respond. But the woman in front of her sighed, and was fighting an internal battle on how to spill everything to Seunghyun.

 

When he couldn’t stand it, he found his voice again. “What did you do to me? Where’s my family?” he was laced in panic and paranoia, believing he was going down right crazy.

 

Dar ‘s face scrunched up in pity, her hands wringing as she chose her words carefully.

 

“Seunghyun, I’m sorry, there has been a mistake.”

 

A mistake. Yes, he’s familiar with mistakes; he could get a PhD for it. He’s been throwing life’s chances away a lot of times, backpedalling when he was so close to making himself happy. He must be a masochist. But he could not comprehend what mistake she’s taking about. Was it him? Of course he was. Chaerin and Haneul are definitely not mistakes. They’re the best second chance he ever got to have.

 

 

And just that, his train of thoughts went down again to the images of his family, his chest yet again constricting to the gentle images and the deep longing it produced. Oh Chae, I miss you. Please let me see you again. He silently prayed. He almost forgot Dara standing in front of him until she broke his reverie.

 

“Seunghyun, let me explain.”

 

 

“About damn time!!” He growled.

 

 

“Chaerin and Haneul….they don’t exist. Well, technically, Haneul does not exist and Chaerin is someone whom you would never know. She has her own life, far away from here.”

 

 

“Are you kidding me? Is this some sick joke to you?!” He fisted his coat more, controlling the pent up frustration and anger to this woman, his hand shook visibly, the hair at the back of his neck standing in its own volition. “If you can do it once, you can do it again. I’ll pay you with everything that I have!” He was desperate now.

 

 

“It doesn’t work that way. You see…it was all a dream.” Dara bended her knees to be at Seungyun’s level; close enough to see the turmoil and anger, she can almost touch it.

 

 

“You are sick!” He backed further to the wall.

 

 

“I’m not! I – ” she hesitated, “ – we are dream makers, angels, cupids, guardians…whatever you call us, depends on what you believe. We watch over people and make them realize their happiness through dreams. I’ve been doing this for over a hundred years.”

 

 

“Well, I’m not buying it, you look too young to be over a hundred.” he said dryly.

 

She shook her head gently at his usual stubbornness, “We don’t age anymore, you know. I’ve been assigned to watch over you. And you’ve been losing track in life Seunghyun, and it called for desperate measures.”

 

“Way to ruin my life, you did.”

 

“I made that happen so you’ll realize what you really need in your life.”

 

He did not believe a word she’s saying, “What kind of sick logic is that huh? Is this some kind of retribution…for everything that I’ve done? What kind of boss do you have to let people suffer like this!”

 

 

She inched closer, still trying to come through Seunghyun with reason. “You were someone who was so afraid to commit, she was someone who was afraid to trust. You were capable of loving, but you refuse to love deeply. She had strong buried emotions which are committed to the wrong people and wrong things – she needed someone who can show her how to love, and you needed someone who can show you how to commit.”

 

 

Seunghyun chuckled darkly, his voice full of venom, “and then what? You decided to pair us up, makes the job easier, huh? How would you explain why she remembers everything more?”

 

“She was placed in the dream earlier than you. When you’ve showed her how to love, and you won her over, it was then you came…it was then time she convinced you to commit and be truthful to her. But…”

 

“But what again, OH DARA almighty, please enlighten me with your brilliance?” his voice full of disdain, hands in the air, mockingly praising her, but he was physically exhausted as he slowly slumped against the cold, subway floor.

 

She sighed, not wanting to fight him. She understood the feelings beneath the strong and vicious exterior he is displaying. “But you wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter