Heart on the Sleeve

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mrs. Choi, I didn’t expect you to come here… I was – ” Myungsoo stood up hastily, ironing his wrinkled suit with the palm of his hands. He has been working all day for the formal launch of the CEO’s restaurant, and was not expecting any visitor. He’s boss isn’t even around for days already.

 

“It’s okay Myungsoo, this was a spur of the moment idea anyway. She smiles cordially at Seunghyun’s secretary.” She looked around the office for any indication of her estranged husband. A while ago, after the happy news about Seungri’s proposal, it had positively affected Chaerin and she made it her mission to make amends to Seunghyun today.

 

She was so tired of all the drama around her, so absorbed of the little things that she forgot that at the end of the day, it was about her and Seunghyun. Loving is not always about feelings, it’s a choice. And she chose to be with her husband, through hell and back. She’ll walk the proverbial extra mile, just to catch up with whatever her husband is going through lately.

 

She’ll be more level headed – she’ll try a different approach. That’s why she’s here. She made an effort to look pretty, with her favorite jeans and shirt, a light lip gloss and eyeliner, she made dinner and brought it to his office. Now all she needs is to deal with him.

 

“Ma’am, I’m afraid he is not here.” He cringed as he waited for a quick lash from his boss’s wife, but it did not come. “He’s been out more often than not. He stays here for half the day and then I can’t contact him anymore afterwards.” He offered further.

 

“Oh.” Chaerin felt her face burn. She gripped the paper bag she was carrying and decided it was just another set back. But she couldn’t ignore the sinking feeling in her gut. She’s drowning again. She entered his office, and her eyes roamed around the very familiar room, ignoring Myungsoo’s incessant apologies. Her mind is feeding her suspicions but she needed to remind herself of something – something that she could hold on. She didn’t want to spiral down to her emotions.

 

She inhaled the scent of the room, it still has remnants of his perfume – and it made her smile. It’s fading quickly, but it’s still there though it’s faint and weak. Her eyes focused on their family pictures on his desk and his cabinet. They were so happy that she never thought they’ll be in this situation – this suffocating test that was given to them. Her eyes got misty when she remembered all the sacrifices Seunghyun had given just to get the comfortable life that they have now. She remembered bringing in clothes and food for him during his long nights when he had to make a presentation in the morning. How she’d cooped up in one of the couches and watch as her husband is crunched up with work.

 

She remembered brainstorming with him at 3 am, just to have something to present to his clients – even researching with him for ideas. She missed that. Chaerin missed being able to help him get through, and see him triumph. Has she been so selfish all these times?

 

She walks up to the nearest bookcase and dusted off a picture frame. With new resolved, she turned around to see Myungsoo curiously watching her moves. He cleared his throat and pretended to be focused on his laptop when she turned his way.

 

“Here Myungsoo, you need that food to keep you going. Don’t stay up too late.” Chaerin smiles and exits the office floor. She decided that she’ll wait for him – even though she has no idea how long it’ll take.

 

--

8 hours.

That’s how long Chaerin has been sitting outside of their backyard. Ever since she got back from his office, she settled herself on one of the wooden chairs outside of their house and drowned herself with beer. It was a long night, and it was the first time in many years since she drank any alcoholic beverage again. Hanuel was fed, and it was important to keep a healthy diet for her kid. She just never went back to drinking again because she didn’t feel the need anymore – until now. There was a slight buzz in her ears and she was smiling at nothing.

 

Nana noticed her some hours ago, and the old woman was kind enough to bring her a blanket. Nana has understood most of the time, and she thanked her quietly for not asking questions and just being there for them most especially to Hanuel. The night was chilly and she knew she could get sick for this, but she needed a distraction. Alcohol and the weather seemed to be the perfect options. She just couldn’t deal with Bom and her crazy ideas anymore.

 

Funny thing is, she’s drunk but her mind was clear and alert. She hadn’t been this keen of her surroundings. She was just there, absorbing everything she could and couldn’t see. She could see the blinking city lights – as far as her dizzy sight can allow. And she could feel the sea breeze on her cheeks. Chuckling a little, she now understood why Seunghyun’s dad often sit here. It was perfect for a troubled soul. Nature has her way of understanding your inner storms without really talking to you. It just absorbs your energy and transforms it to something entirely different.

 

Their house was over a cliff, overseeing the city and surrounded by the vast sea. Pine trees and bushes co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter