Behind the Tree

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say the least, Seunghyun has abandoned his family for a week. He never contacted Chaerin, but from time to time phoned Nana to check up on them. He forced Yongbae to accommodate him in his apartment, even if it meant that he needed to sleep on the couch. He remembered Yongbae glaring at him…

 

 

 

“You go home to your family Hyung… this is getting out of hand!! Have you lost your mi – ”

 

 

 

“YES!! YES!!” He burst out, hitting his head with his palm, as the alcohol he’d taken hours earlier took a toll on him.

 

 

 

Yongbae was so horrified with his friend’s act that he had jerked Seunghyun’s hand away from him. He tried to calm down before agreeing with him. He had never seen him so broken and lost.

 

 

 

It was gruesome for him. He felt all the more empty at night, surprisingly missing Chaerin’s warm body curled beside him. He never felt as helpless and pitiful as his situation now, he felt hollow and all the more out of place of this world, of this time.

 

 

 

 His family hated him, he’s having a hard time organizing the big event for the restaurant because of the setback,  Jiyong and Bom lashing out on him for being a jerk, and Tiffany pressuring him to come back to her – who the hell decided to put him there, right?

 

 

 

It was nearly the end of the week and it was around 5pm, he knew Haneul’s about to be dismissed in class now, and Chaerin might come and fetch her. And that’s why he was standing behind a tree, peeking at the outpour of students from the main building of the school. He squinted hard to look for his daughter and smiled when he found Haneul from afar, and he’d never been as happy the whole week.

 

 

 

His ego was pouring with pride as his daughter pranced along the covered walk, almost taller than the rest of her age group, her cheeks had a faint tinge of rose. She was beaming with happiness as she showed her stamped stars on her wrists to her friends. He laughed when she saw her scowling at a boy who had probably .

 

 

 

And then he saw her – Chaerin, and suddenly his heart swelled with euphoria. It was a suffocating kind of happiness that he found it difficult to breathe. His wife was as beautiful as ever in her plain shirt and jeans. In fact she didn’t look like a mother at all, she looked like a doting unnie.

 

 

 

She was affectionately hugging Haneul that had rushed over to her and Seunghyun had the sudden urge to come running to them to join the warm embrace. But his knees gave out, he felt weak and needed the support of the tree. He never realized that this was how much he’d miss them. He planned on just taking a quick peek at them, but now he couldn’t even remove his eyes from the scene.

 

 

He bowed his head in defeat ‘cuz he couldn’t take the scene anymore, he wanted to love them wholly, but he doesn’t even know himself. He’ll just destroy them.

 

 

 

 

He raised his head again to steal another moment from them. He smiled when he saw that Chaerin had given Haneul some sweet treats. They were now walking out of the school when his heart froze.

 

 

 

 

No, everything in his world froze – literally. His eyes bulged in panic when he saw Chaerin had been frozen at mid-step. She almost looked like falling over. Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter