Misplaced

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She woke up to the incessant ringing of a phone. Chaerin rose up, her body aching, but couldn’t remember why. She stopped when she realized that Seunghyun was on the other side of the bed. Her brain instantly connected to everything that happened a few hours before; blushing furiously when she remembered the vomit incident she had. She stopped moving when she realized her husband has woken up to finally pick up the phone.

 

“Yes Tiff?”

 

Tiff? Her heart sank. She was right, it was another woman. How dare that woman call her husband, knowing he’s with his family!

 

“Have you gone mad! You can’t do this to me.” She cringed. She was afraid of Seunghyun’s angry voice. Are they fighting? And really, did he think she won’t wake up with his loud voice? Or did he simply not care?

 

She bared herself to him last night and all of that was nothing? And she thought they were making progress. Was that all for show? To gain back her flimsy trust? She controlled herself not to cry. She was being emotional again and she hated herself more.

 

“You can’t cancel, the launch is tonight! Don’t be this unprofessional!” She held her breathe. Oh, it’s work. She scolded herself for thinking too much.

 

“Last night was just a mistake.”

 

They were a mistake?  Seunghyun got up and went to the balcony.

 

“Look Tiff, let’s talk things through.” Those were the last words that Chaerin heard before he closed the door. Forcing herself for a confrontation, which she normally isn’t up to, she sat up straight, waiting for Seunghyun to enter back to the room.

 

How dare him call his mistress while she’s around. Couldn’t he be more considerate of her? But she needed to clear the air, she needed to be straight forward and ask her position in his life. One moment he is asking to save their marriage, the next thing she knew he’s talking to a woman early in the morning.

 

For every second that ticked, she got more paranoid as images of Seunghyun and a woman breezed through her mind. She could almost see red and she was ready to pounce on him the moment he stepped inside their bedroom. She was ready to bombard him with questions and accusations but she stopped when she saw the defeated look on her husband’s face.

 

He looked up sadly and offered a weak smile. “Hey, did I wake you up? Sorry, that was my supposed head chef for the opening of the restaurant. She backed out and now… well, now I think I have to start packing my things in the office cause I’m sure as hell that I’m fired.”

 

Chaerin schooled her expression. She had to regroup – she’s at loss at what she was supposed to say. The devastated look on his face was just the same look she saw when his father was desperately trying to keep his business afloat.

 

It was tearing him apart, and she could feel he was about to break down. The look was very familiar and she knew no amount of comforting words could ease his pain.

 

Her husband needed her, her doubts can be dealt with later.

 

Like an innocent shepherd entering a lion’s den, she approached her husand with caution.

 

“Seunghyun,” she bit her lower lip, contemplating if she should proceed or if he even heard him. “I could help you.”

 

“You’ve done enough for me Chae. I’ll handle this.” His response was controlled and crisp, but the silence that followed was unnerving. This anger and disappointment was bubbling and she could see his ears visibly turning red.

 

“No, I insist. You remember you agreed to let me work again, right? Well, Seungri and I have this chef friend. We’ve been working for weeks to conceptualize a bistro. I think he can help you. He’s famous. He can add up to the media buzz for your launch. He’s an even better option, if… well, if you ask me.”

 

She bit her lip again, she wasn’t sure if Seunghyun heard her or he was simply shutting himself down.

 

“Seunghyun…” she approached her fuming husband closer. She was prepared to be shouted at, but it didn’t come.

 

After a few heartbeats, he nodded his head in acknowledgment, and she let out a sigh of relief. That was easier than she thought.  “I’ll let Seungri convince this friend of yours.”

 

“Or I can call him right now. The launch is tonight right? I’m sure Seungri is busy as well.” She offered innocently. Deep down, she knew her friend was by now panicking, preparing for his proposal to the girl of his dreams.

 

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay. You can do this Seunghyun. It’s a little bump in the road.” She added, hoping her positivity could at least cheer him up.

 

 

 

--

A failure.

 

That’s how he’s seeing himself now. Seunghyun is about to launch the biggest project of his career. It’ll determine his promotion and cement his reputation in the industry. But ironically, he feels nothing. At least nothing positive.

 

He was busy coordinating everything, he left his house hours ago and wished he just stayed there and forgot the whole project all together. But then Chaerin’s persistent positivity was bugging him, he’d rather go out. And his wife, well that’s another story.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter