Desperation

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL! 

 

“Nana.” Seunghyun sighed in relief, a familiar face, maybe she can point where Chaerin is.

 

“Seunghyun dear. I couldn’t believe it’s you!” Nana beamed, her delicate hands clasp together. “It’s been a while since you visited. You’ve grown into quite a tall man.”

 

“Nana” Seunghyun exhaled deeply, “where’s dad? What happened here?”

 

Nana’s face fell. “Your father couldn’t keep up the business anymore, the customers just never came in as before.”

 

“But…what about Chaerin?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Lee Chaerin? She’s as tall as my shoulders, brown hair, a mole on her chin, plump cheeks. You know her Nana. Come on – ” Seunghyun lightly shook her frail form, but the name brought no recognition in the old woman’s face.

 

He noticed Jiyong clearing his throat, interrupting his train of thought. “Oh Nana, I brought Jiyong with me.”

 

“Another familiar face! Good to see you.”

 

Jiyong bows respectfully. “I’m sorry Seunghyun is being weird today Nana.”

 

“He has always been. Who is this Chaerin again?”

 

“She’s my wife-to-be.”

 

“Since when did you have a stable girlfriend?”

 

“My exact sentiments” Jiyong chimed in from behind.

 

“Who has been wrecking the store Nana?” a stern voice from the inside emerged. It was finally Seunghyun’s dad. 

 

“Goodness these undisciplined…” Mr. Choi stopped in his tracks. His eyes fell on his estranged son, and things got awkward. Jiyong was ready to stop either the two of them should they do something crazy.

 

But Seunghyun stood stiffly, thinking how he should navigate through this safely. In the future, they were okay because of Chaerin, but she’s not here, so nothing was alright. In fact he wanted to wake up from this nightmare already. He wanted to be with her.

 

His face was so inflicted with thoughts that it took him seconds to realize his father was standing in front of him. He had gone so frail, far from how he had always pictured him. Strong, dominant, intimidating…but now he had become so fragile as well, the stress on his face was undeniable, then there’s sadness…and worry too?

 

He wasn’t sure. But he didn’t want to fight, Chaerin mentioned how his dad loved the ice cream shop so much. And if Chaerin believed in his dad, he saw no reason why he shouldn’t as well. And if it’s the right path to his redemption, so be it.

 

“Dad… I’m just…”

 

“You called me dad.” The old man noted, with a hint of surprise.

 

“Yes.” Seunghyun looked down his feet. The awkwardness was eating him. He hadn’t thought of these things thoroughly. “Dad, I’m sorry…for everything, for the store… this has been your life. And, well, it’s now gone.”

 

“It’s not as painful as the day you decided to go…son.” His dad tiredly said.

 

“Dad…” he looked up, and saw his father, the man who had been his first superhero, before all the blurred their relationship. He had this compassion for this man more than before. Chaerin did that to him, it made him appreciate the people who are in his life right now. Who knows right, he may wake up again one day, with another…set-up. Which he fervently wish wouldn’t come true. He had enough to deal with.

Perhaps it was this stressful day, perhaps he was just missing Chae, or perhaps it was the sight of his dad on the brink of breaking down, that everything made him teary eyed as well  - Seunghyun was the first one to reach out, and embraced his dad. No further drama or explanation, just a mutual understanding, a relationship finally having it’s chance at redemption. The man melted in his touch and it was awkward, overwhelming and new, but it felt good. It felt good having one of the most important people in his life come back to him. He could hear Nana silently sobbing and Jiyong staring in amazement.

 

Seunghyun cleared his voice, an idea came to his mind and he released his old man. “Dad, come with me. You have nothing to do here.”

 

“But…I’ll be just a nuisance to you son.” His dad steps back. “And, besides…the shop.”

 

“Dad, we’ll move that to my city. It may not be the same but at least you’re within my reach. My flat is too big on my own, and besides, we have a lot of catching up to do.” Seunghyun shyly scratches his head…  “And I’ll tell you about my wife to be.”

 

The old man looked surprised. “Who?”

 

“Lee Chaerin.” Jiyong offered the reply, already tired of the hearing the same confusing answer.

 

---

 

“Who?” Daesung and Yongbae exchanged looks.

 

“Lee Chaerin!” Seunghyun frustratingly explained to his dumbfounded friends. By this time, Jiyong got accustomed to this newfound craziness of his Hyung that he didn’t mind.at.all. They were all siting on their usual spot in the bar. Having their weekly thirsty Thursday, Yongbae and Daesung carefully processing what had gone thru the head of their friend.

 

“You know guys, you’ll get used to it.”

 

“Let’s review that again…you’re getting married.” Yongbae repeated.

 

“But you haven’t met her yet…” Daesung continued,

 

“But you know her name is Lee Chaerin…”

 

“I haven’t met her in this year, but I know she’s here. I’ve met her in 2018!” Seunghyun resigned to his seat, it sounded crazy but as days went by, he was becoming more and more desperate.

 

“Come again?”

 

“You know, if you don’t believe me, then I’ll just have to search for her on my own.”

 

“Hyung, it’s not that, we are just really worried about you.” Yongbae chided. “Did you go to the hospital?”

 

“I’m alright, I’m good, I just really miss her so much.” His voice shook.  And his friends exchanged silent glances again.

 

“I hired someone to search her in the national registry, someone in Busan. Or in any province here is South Korea for some good measure, but she’s not here. There were some similar hits, but they were either too old, or too young.”

 

“Hyung, maybe she does not exist.” Jiyong offered.

 

“Don’t say that!” Seunghyun shouted in defiance, perhaps it was the alcohol already talking, but for the past hour, his friends should have understood that this Lee Chaerin is an important, sensitive topic.

 

"Remember our deal during Daesung's stag party? I'll pay you all cuz I’ve set our wedding date. I’m just really waiting for her to show up.” 

 

“What?!” they all shouted in unison.

 

“Why, got any problem with that?” Seunghyun sternly warned. 

 

“No, no, it’s just that I still have to be wedded first, right hyung?” Daesung gently countered. “Remember, I’m getting married. And speaking of which, please, all of you, do attend my rehearsals the day after next. Minzy is freaking out, I don’t want to add to the pressure.”

 

“I’ll do my best.” Seunghyun tiredly responded, having a long drag at his cigarette, his thoughts still on the face of his family.

 

Where are you now babe? Pls. show up already. 

 

---

 

“So what do we do now?” Jiyong stuffed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter