Two Wine Glasses and a Ruined Lunch

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


He took off his sunglasses the moment he entered his favorite restaurant, glad that he had walked fast enough to see that the place is not yet full of people. The head waiter acknowledged his presence and proceeded to give him his usual seat at the farthest corner. He didn’t want anyone bothering him while he eats. Lunch time is the only break he has to think about things.

 

Things other than work. He has yet to find a free time so he could go to the south and investigate on his own. He wanted so badly to know that it bugged him all night. It made him jittery this day and the pressure of the upcoming launching of the restaurant isn’t helping either.

 

But today, he’s about to get distracted from his personal agenda as a voice called out for him. As his eyes trailed the aisle, he need not look up further to know who it was. Her legs are all too familiar to him.

 

“Tiffany... What brings you here?” he smiled cordially, “following me around lately?” The woman grinned and feigned an offended look but laughed at his remark as she seated right across him without his invitation.

 

“Well, I was just walking and I saw you entering here…”

 

“So you were following me!” he playfully accused and the latter just rolled her eyes. On cue, a waiter approached their table with two goblets of red wine on their table.

 

“I’m sorry, but I didn’t order these…” Seunghyun started off but was cut by Tiffany.

 

“I ordered them.” She smiles knowingly and Seunghyun’s curiosity went up a knot higher.

 

“So what is this?”

 

“Red wine.” She smirks.

 

“No – I meant, what are these for?” He curiously watched Tiffany as she settled herself and stared at him for several seconds before finally speaking.

 

“Hyunnie,” she drawls lazily, “it’s a well-known fact that you love wine so much, and I want you to have a clear mind while we discuss things. So,…”  her hands gestures towards the goblet before them as a smirk hovered above. “…red wine.”

 

He merely nodded for her to continue, but suddenly he was consumed with instinct that this isn’t going to be any good.

 

And just like that, his planned peaceful lunch has gone terribly wrong in seconds as Tiffany laid her cards on the table. He paled and clenched his fists to prevent himself from slapping the woman before him.

 

 

 

 

 

 “Chaerin-ah! Fifteen minutes is up! You better get your moving or you won’t be able to get to the bottom of this!” Bom impatiently taps the pavement and demands Chaerin like a small child.

 

 

The young blond took deep breathes and shakily approached the restaurant. She was getting paler as her feet brought her closer to the door. She didn’t want to do this. What if she indeed saw him with another woman? What would she do if she saw them getting cozy?

 

She shook her head to refuse any more doubt inside her. She was going to end this now. The head waiter greeted her and politely asked if she had a reservation. She insisted that she’s seeing someone here. After the quick exchange, she proceeded to the farthest corner where she knew Seunghyun would be seating. The restaurant was beginning to get crowded and she has to slowly walk down the aisle so not to bump into the others. She avoided three waiters, two irate old women and about a dozen of hurrying professionals.

 

 

A strong whiff of feminine perfume caught her nose and she immediately looked up to see a woman smiling as she headed opposite of her direction. At first glance, one could tell that the woman is beautiful, with a pretty angular smile and a professional and chic look. Her demanding aura is not one to be ignored and Chaerin felt the intimidating atmosphere around her. Ignoring yet another brief encounter, she proceeded to her destination and found her husband looking up, with a rather pale and almost expressionless face.

 

 

Was he that shocked to see her here? Is this supposed to be the face of someone getting caught up cheating? She wasn’t sure. But he was all alone, now where’s the girl Bom’s been talking? This wasn’t how she pictured things, but her instincts are telling her that she had come in the wrong time.

 

She suddenly felt conscious of her appearance. She was greatly underdressed here, compared to the working crowd inside the establishment. She suddenly felt ashamed of walking in here with her casual clothes. Not a good look for an encounter Chaerin, you look like a lost puppy. She looked down on her baggy shirt and denim jeans and she couldn’t agree more. The thoughts of confronting him almost flew out the window but the thought of Bom’s rant is enough for her to regain her composure.

 

She bit her lower lip and contemplated on what to say to her husband now that she’s having second thoughts, but he was the first to break the silence.

 

“Wh- what are you doing here Chae?” he uttered in a panic state. “S-sit down babe, you don’t look well. Are you okay? Have you eaten your lunch? Here, I could order for you! You look dehydrated, did you stay under the sun for long? You should’ve called me…”

 

“Seunghyun, you’re blabbering off, stop it.” She cuts in weakly.

 

“I- I’m sorry, I wasn’t expecting you to come here today.” He managed a weak smile but Chaerin sensed something else in him. He was panicky and sweating despite the cool air-conditioning of the restaurant. He’s fidgeting on his chair and is clutching his glass goblet all too tight.

 

Yes, something is up.

 

“You’re expecting someone else?” Chaerin bit her lips. She didn’t expect that to slip but she can’t ignore the second wine glass on the table.

 

“No! No, it’s just, it was a real surprise, really.” He assures her again.  <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter