Perfect Husband

32 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They both stared at the gigantic two paneled wooden door of a mansion’s entrance. Seunghyun looked sideways and saw Chaerin biting her lips to remain calm. The two traced their eyes along the door’s intricate design as they waited for the butler to open the door. He felt a tug on his sleeve.

 

“Are you sure I’m needed here? Can’t I just stay home babe?” she asked Seunghyun for the nth time ever since he told her about the meeting. They were invited to dinner by one of Seunghyun’s possible wine suppliers from Europe and Chaerin freaked out when the Spanish expat said that deal will be dependent on his wife’s judgment on her. She kept complaining that she’d gone fat but Seunghyun just laughed it off.

 

“You look great Chae, you’re glowing.” He smiles. His wife is wearing a knee length and backless cream colored gown with gold and black embroidery to accent her figure, while Seunghyun wore his signature crisp tuxedo.

 

“What does his wife want from me then?” she clung on to her husband’s arm as they heard footsteps approaching.

 

“Well, you know what they say; every powerful man has a powerful woman behind him. Maybe he trusts his wife that much to judge our character.” He gave her a squeeze on the hand and one last reassuring smile as the butler finally welcomes them with full energy.

 

They were led to a grand living room with a spiraling staircase, and a very impressive chandelier at the center. There’s an authentic Spanish feel to the house that they almost forgot that they’re still in Korea.

 

The house has a mixture of Mediterranean and Spanish-Moorish architecture marked by patterned tiles, thick stone walls and wrought-iron windows which are two stories high.  The columns of the house are carefully ornamented with colorful tiles and ceramic mosaics. And lastly, at the center of the mansion is a courtyard with stoned pathways that led to a well lit swimming pool.

 

The place looked like it was ripped from a lifestyle magazine page and the young couple could only stand in awe with the grandness of just about everything in the house. Chaerin sighs in satisfaction as she rests her head on her husband’s shoulders and the latter hugging her waist in return.

“I suppose you both like our humble house, Mr. Choi?” A voice greeted them from behind. It was the wine dealer but he looked very Asian to them. Seunghyun couldn’t hide his surprise that he is the Spanish expat he was dealing with. He was staring too long that Chaerin cleared for her husband to focus again.

 

As if reading her mind, the man laughed at his reaction. “Don’t worry señora, I get that a lot. I’m Mr. Ricky Cortez. My mom is Korean and my dad is Spanish.” Seunghyun greeted him politely and shakes his hands. A woman in her early forties came down the stairs dressed elegantly. She smiled a little and places a peck on her husband’s cheeks.

 

“And this is my wife, HaeWon.” The young couple bowed formally and they were led to the courtyard. “I’m really nervous. She’s like someone who’s very hard to please.” Chaerin whispers to his husband. Seunghyun could sense the panic that’s building inside her so he gently reaches for her hand.

 

“Chaerin-ah, just be yourself… It’ll be alright.”

 

All throughout the dinner, Seunghyun never let go of her hands. Many times, he would catch himself staring at his wife eating silently. He knows she’s pressured but she remained graceful and it made him proud. While talking to Mr. Cortez, he would absentmindedly grab Chaerin and kiss her on her cheeks as if it was the most natural thing to do. All throughout the dinner, Mrs. Cortez remained silent. She was just silently observing everything and it took Chaerin by surprise when the woman finally spoke up.

 

“What do you know of your husband’s work Mrs. Choi? Are you aware of his dealings and businesses in the company?” the two men chatting from the other end of the table stopped. Seunghyun went pale because he had not really briefed Chaerin about anything. He had always kept his work separated from his personal life so he really did not know if Chaerin has the slightest idea.  He has always pictured her in her domesticated state – after all she’s not one of those sophisticated woman that he knows --

 

“Mrs. Cortez I think—“

“Let your wife speak for you Mr. Choi.” The older woman’s voice was firm.

Chaerin just smiled at him and faced her with confidence. “He’s an executive of the restaurant division of one of Korea’s largest conglomerate madam. He’s currently arranging deals and preparing the papers for a high class restaurant especially requested by the CEO. We’ve always known that Seunghyun’s division seeks only the best to serve their clientele. That’s why we are here – because we know you’re one of the best wine dealers and sommeliers.” She stole a glance at her husband who just blinked several times, quite surprised at how Chaerin handled things.

 

She returned her gaze to Mrs. Cortez who was beginning to warm up to her, “And I would also like to commend you for your amazing set of sherry wines tonight. Your Manzanilla just had the right crisp and freshness for an aperitif, while your Oloroso was just perfect for our heavily flavored spareribs. And will our dessert wine be a Pedro Ximenez or Muscatel, madam?”

 

“It’ll be Pedro Ximenez, dear. Hmm, so you really like our pure wines huh.”

 

Chaerin blushed, “Uh, I hope this won’t come out wrong Madam but Spanish wines are never pure since wine makers from Andalucía has developed their own solera system – that’s the mixing of different wines to achieve a perfect and unique flavor.”

 

“Why, you surely know a lot of things about wines Mrs. Choi. I am impressed now.” Mrs. Cortez clasped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter