When the Past gives Consolation

Living As His Fiancé
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello my dearies!!! Its been a while hasn't it? This one is for all the HaeRi shippers! :)

 

 

“The bad news is that he is in a coma and I can not tell for how long or if he will ever wake up in the future.”

Donghae stood still. Those words felt like sharp blades which pierced every inch of his heart.

“You mean he may never wake up?” Mrs. Lee asked in shock, but deep down she felt relieved. Her plan to claim the Lee family wealth may succeed faster than she expected. The doctor nodded and continued to walk down the hallway causing Mrs. Lee to discreetly smile to herself. She then sniffled slightly and then turned to see you watching Donghae with concern.

“Yah!” she roared so that her voice echoed down the hall, “I thought I told you to leave!”

“Eomonim – “ you started trying desperately to defend yourself.

“Don’t you dare call me that you sneaky little – “

“She was with me,” Eunhyuk stated while cutting her off.

Mrs. Lee scoffed. “Running around with guys when you are already engaged, what a who– “

“Can you all just stop?” Donghae exclaimed before she could finish her statement. He then tilted his head back in frustration and walked towards his step mother. You hung your head in shame as Eunhyuk placed a comforting hand on your shoulders. “I don’t need you to be spewing advice about loyalty,” Donghae whispered to Mrs. Lee, “Like you would know any better.”

Mrs. Lee glared at Donghae with those serpent-like eyes and then casually walked out of the hallway with her driver. You raised your eyebrows in confusion.

She was leaving already? What about Mr. Lee?

You turned to see Donghae entering the ICU room after the nurse claimed that it was alright to go visit the patient. You also noticed that Donghae had not said a word to you ever since the news of his father broke out.

Is it possible that he believed his stepmother? That I had something to do with it?

“Hey Mei-Ri ah,” Heechul stated walking up to you, “Are you okay?”

You nodded slightly in response. Eunhyuk brought you closer to him and embraced you tightly.

“Its going to be okay,” he whispered in your ear as Leeteuk gently patted your head.

“I think we need to go and take care of things at the company,” Sungmin said, “Its probably chaotic there.”

The others agreed and prepared to leave when Leeteuk stated, “Mei-Ri – ah, I think you should stay here and comfort you future husband.” He winked at you while the others slightly snickered.

“Ani!” you exclaimed, “Its nothing like that! This arrangement wasn’t even mutual! Our parents – “

“Alright we get it!” Shindong replied, playfully ruffling the hair on the top of your head.

Aigoo! Why are they not paying any attention to me?

You watched as the boys exited the corridor.

“Aish these kids! Even joking around at a time like this!” You gently nudged the tall, white doors and entered the ward. Donghae sat beside his hospital bed and stolidly continued to stare at his father. Mr. Lee’s entire cranium was wrapped in white bandages as were his hands which had been pierced by the glass sculpture he knocked over at the end of the staircase.

“Kwenchena?” you asked softly. You only heard him sigh gently as he moved his fingers over his father’s palm. “Are you mad at me?” This seemed to catch his attention as he lifted his gaze towards you. “N-na Aniya! I didn’t do anything! I wasn’t even – “

“Go home,” he said suddenly, “Its getting late so get some sleep.”

“You should too,” you replied sympathetically.

“Just go,” he muttered without looking up at you or giving you any explanation. He didn’t need to because by this time, you got the message. He wanted to be alone and you respected his wishes. Without asking any further questions, you left the hospital and took the next bus home. Upon arriving, you realized that you were all alone within the mansion. While running your fingers though your hair as you walked upstairs, your mind traveled back to Donghae’s words.

Oppa, na otteoke? I know it’s a hard time for you right now, but don’t worry. To be honest, I am also scared for you. Please don’t blame yourself. I just wish . . . that I could do something.

Just as you were about to turn to your room, your eyes wandered to a stream of light coming behind one door. It was the room that Donghae warned you not to go in. Why was the light on though? Curious, you gently pushed the door open and walked inside. Your eyes grew wide at the sight before you.

The entire room was furnished with lavish curtains, dressers, and furniture producing a lavish Victorian aura which captivated your senses. You walked in awe towards the small dresser adorned with a beautiful, tall mirror and gazed upon the jeweled hair brush, a turquoise music box, hair pins, head bands as well as homely photographs. Clearly, this was a girl’s – no wait – a women’s room. You picked up one of the brass photo frames and saw a young boy with a familiar face on a park swing smiling brightly with an elder woman and man standing beside him. Then it hit you! No wonder Donghae didn’t want you entering this room. It belonged to his mother! But this room was locked before. How was it opened? You looked at the photo once more and smiled. His mother looked gorgeous. It was easy to tell where he got his good looks from. You giggled slightly at Mr. Lee though. With his mushroom hair cut, one could even mistake him for a flower boy! It was quite shocking now since he barely even had any hair. Your eyes then traveled to the large maple trunk at the base of the large bed. The lock for the trunk lay on the ground so you gently lifted the lid and peeked inside. What caught your attention was a simple diary. Being the curious girl you are, you began to read it and noticed that it was mostly about Donghae and how he grew up. Apparently, his mother described him to be very mischievous during his childhood days. You were very amused by one of her stories where she talked about Donghae ringing the neighbor’s door bell and then playfully running away. His actions, however, lead to his parents receiving many angry phone calls which they were not pleased with. They still loved their son nonetheless. While skimming through the pages, your eyes landed on a list of ingredients.

“Hmm,” you said softly, “dakdori tang (spicy chicken stew)? Why did she write the recipe here?” You continued skimming until you read the bottom: For my little prince.

So this was for Donghae? Then this must be his favorite dish!

Just then, an idea struck you like lightening. You quickly grasped the book, turned off the lights and raced downstairs into the kitchen.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter