Taking Your Lies

Only You

 

Tiffany decided to take a cab to meet Luhan where he taught his piano lessons. She was debating on telling him about his mother’s unusual defensiveness, but maybe it wasn’t her business or place to be telling Luhan anything. She was here to be supportive for Luhan not causing more stress than he already had. Right when Tiffany got out of the cab, she saw Luhan walking with Ji Hyun.

            “I don’t understand?” Tiffany said to herself.

            Luhan saw Tiffany and waved at his cousin, which in a way was a sign to say it was okay to approach them. Tiffany nervously walked over to the couple and tried to smile. “Hi, sorry I couldn’t see you play, I was with your mom,” Tiffany told Luhan.

            “It’s okay, I know how much my mom misses you, you were practically the daughter she always wanted.”

            Tiffany looked at Ji Hyun who was smiling as big as when she met her earlier that morning. “Ji Hyun, tomorrow we should go do something. Unless… You and Luhannie are going to do something together.”

             “Actually… We were, but it’s okay I think Luhan would understand.” Ji Hyun giggled at the little nickname, making Luhan turn his head the other way.

            “No, I want you and Luhan to do whatever you two are doing,” Tiffany said happily. Luhan gave a look to Tiffany telling her that he wanted to be alone with Ji Hyun. “Well… I guess, I better go… To the car.” Luhan handed Tiffany the car keys and she just turned walking away from them.

            Luhan nervously faced Ji Hyun. “I think this belongs to you.” In Luhan’s hands was a solved rubix cubed all the colors on their right sides. “And how long did it take for me to solve it?”
            “Less than a minute,” Ji Hyun replied happily as she gladly took the rubix cube. “Either way I would have gone on a second date with you anyways.”

            “So what’s the plan for our next date?” Luhan asked.

            Ji Hyun shrugged. “It’s a surprise.”

            “Great, more surprises,” Luhan muttered.

            “Don’t worry this one will actually be a good one.”

            “Good, see you tomorrow Ji Hyun for our date?”

            “Yes, for our date.”

            Ha Joon and Chanyeol walked over to Ji Hyun and Luhan. Ha Joon was holding Chanyeol’s hand, but let go to hug Luhan.

            “Bye Hyung! I love you,” Ha Joon said to Luhan.

            “I…” Luhan wasn’t sure if he should say it back. “I… I love you too Ha Joon.” He found it odd that he was saying “I love you” to Ha Joon rather than Ji hyun, but he thought it could be sort of like a practice.        

            “Bye Luhan,” Chanyeol said. Luhan and Chanyeol, both awkwardly shook each other’s hand. For that one moment, Luhan felt a strange feeling.

            “Bye Chanyeol,” Luhan replied.

            Back at Luhan’s condo, Tiffany was sitting in front of Luhan’s piano pressing random keys. Luhan was taking a shower, so she was by herself. She was still debating whether she should tell Luhan about Mrs. Xi and how jumpy she was being or the fact that she hasn’t asked him if he knew about his so called comeback. Tiffany made her way to the couch and fell backwards. She felt something and reached behind her. It was the teddy bear.

            Luhan walked into the living room with a towel around his neck drying his hair, when he saw Tiffany looking at the teddy bear.

            “Be careful with that!” Luhan snapped, causing Tiffany to jump dropping the bear on the floor. Luhan picked up the teddy bear, fixing its fur and scarf, and placed it gently back on the table.

            “Why do you have that?” Tiffany asked.

            “It’s my good luck charm,” Luhan replied. “Or it was.”

            “Luhan,” Tiffany knew she would probably regret this, but she knew that she would have to tell him eventually since she knew Mrs. Xi wasn’t going to anytime soon.

            “Yeah?”

            “Did you know about your comeback?” Tiffany asked in almost a whisper, Luhan leaned in closer to hear her.

            “What?”

            “Did you know about your comeback?” Tiffany repeated.

            “My comeback? What are you talking about?”

            “Well,” Tiffany started, she looked down at her hands which were shaking. “Before I came here the article I read that I was telling you about… It was saying that you were to have your comeback in a couple weeks.”

            “Well it’s a lie, why would someone back that up?” Luhan angrily said.

            “I talked to your mom about it… She said that she was going to ask you, but she was the one who told people abour your comeback,” Tiffany explained.

            “Why would she say that?”

            “She also said that… Reira wants to get married in about a month,” Tiffany added. “I know it isn’t any of my business, but I had to tell you. Luhan, I don’t think anything you say is going to stop your mom from realizing that you don’t want to marry Reira, but maybe…”

            “Maybe what?” Luhan asked, he started to panic, he couldn’t marry Reira, let alone play piano in front of anyone yet.

            “Maybe if you play the piano and get back on tour, you won’t need to marry Reira and you can just go back to playing the piano,” Tiffany suggested.

            “What about Ji Hyun?” Luhan asked.

            “Have you even told her about Reira?”

            “No, I can’t.”

            “Don’t you think you should have told her before you decided to go on a date with her?”

            “I was kind of hoping my mom would have caved in and would have just ended my engagement with Reira,” Luhan muttered.

            “Your mom can’t end the engagement with Reira, only you can,” Tiffany stated. “If you don’t do it, then you’ll be forced to marry Reira. If you see Reira tomorrow at the bridal store, instead of avoiding her actually talk to her and tell her you don’t want to get married.”

            “That sounds easier said than done…”

 

            Even though it was past midnight and Ji Hyun had work early in the morning, both her and Chanyeol were still up. They were sitting in front of the TV watching a Korean drama. They were both eating ice cream together, which is what they always did, even though Chanyeol was a boy, he was just happy that he was spending time with his sister.

            “What am I supposed to do every day if you work almost every day of the week?” Chanyeol complained. “I’ve basically spent all my time by myself and with Ha Joon when Ji In and Han Kang aren’t at home.”

            “You can hang out with Luhan and his friends,” Ji Hyun suggested. “I can ask him tomorrow if you want me too.”

            “I hardly even know Luhan, but if you want me to hang out with him so I can talk about you, then I will,” Chanyeol joked.

            “You’re such a dork sometimes!” Ji Hyun playfully hit Chanyeol on the arm as she started laughing.

            “Do you really like Luhan?” Chanyeol asked seriously.

            “Yes, I do,” Ji Hyun admitted. “I don’t know why, but it just feels like…”

            “Like what?”

            “This may sound cliché, but I feel like I know him,” Ji Hyun admitted.

            “You do know him?”

            “No, I mean I feel like I’ve known him longer,” Ji Hyun replied. “There’s something about him, like I’ve met him before.”

            Chanyeol turned his attention back to the TV. “All I want is for you to be happy Ji Hyun.”

            “I want you to be happy too, Chanyeol.”

 

            The next morning, Ji Hyun was already at work yawning every five minutes. Last night she and Chanyeol stayed up until 3 AM. She was rearranging some of the wedding dresses on the mannequins, when Reira came bustling through the door like she always did at the same time to talk to Mrs. Xi about her wedding plans.

            Reira walked over to Ji Hyun, who just finished putting the last wedding dress on the mannequin. She stood there, waiting for Ji Hyun to remember her presence. After standing there, Reira cleared loudly for Ji Hyun.

            Ji Hyun looked up at Reira. “Yes?”

            “Is Mrs. Xi here?” Reira rudely asked already rolling her eyes. “If she isn’t here can you call her for me?”

            “Luhan actually called Mrs. Xi earlier to meet about something,” Ji Hyun answered.

            “For what?” Reira looked a shocked that Mrs. Xi didn’t tell her of that news.

            Ji Hyun shrugged. “I don’t know, but Mrs. Xi left in a rush, so it must have been urgent.”

            “Oh…” Reira forced a smile onto her face, but it looked more like a cringed look. “Well, if Mrs. Xi comes back, can you tell her to call me.”

            “Um… Reira, just because I work here, doesn’t mean I’m Mrs. Xi’s secretary,” Ji Hyun said slightly annoyed.

            “Right, well when I take over this business, you’ll be my secretary.” Reira put her sunglasses back on and walked straight out of the bridal store.

            “What is she talking about?” Ji Hyun muttered to herself.

           

            Luhan was waiting at the tea shop for his mother to show up. He had everything arranged on the table already, Mrs. Xi’s favorite tea and all her favorite scones. Mrs. Xi was on the phone talking about the new bridal dresses that were coming into the shop. The moment she saw Luhan, she hung up the phone and a huge smile appeared on her face.

            “Luhan!” Mrs. Xi kissed her son on the cheek and sat across from him. “I was kind of surprised that you called me, I thought you were still mad at me about what happened the other day.”

            Luhan tried his best not to release his anger all at once, especially at his mother, even though that’s where most of his anger was pointing at. “Were you ever going to tell me about my comeback?”

            Mrs. Xi smile immediately faded. “Comeback? What are you talking about? W-who told you?”

            “It doesn’t matter who told me, all that matters is that you didn’t tell me.” Luhan saw in Mrs. Xi’s eyes that she was slightly frightened.

            “I was going to tell you, but...” Mrs. Xi tried to think of a reason why she didn’t tell him.

            “Mom, the longer you stay quiet, the more I’m starting to think that you’re going to make up a lie.” Luhan scoffed. “Mom, do you really want me to go back to playing the piano? I can call my manager, I’ll do the comeback, I’ll do whatever.”

            “To get away from Reira?” Mrs. Xi added. “Why do you hate her?”

            “I don’t hate her mom; I just don’t want to marry her.” It seemed like Luhan was saying that to Mrs. Xi every time they talked.

            “Why not? She’s your childhood friend,” Mrs. Xi replied.

            “She’s not! Ji Hyun is!” Luhan shouted.

            Mrs. Xi felt a little taken back. “She is your childhood friend, maybe if you talked to her, maybe if you actually talked to Reira you would know.”

            “Mom, Reira isn’t…” Luhan shook his head. Then he realized that he actually didn’t know if Ji Hyun was his Ji Hyun, he just had a strong feeling, but he wasn’t exact.

            “Can you please just talk to Reira? Tonight?” Mrs. Xi asked.

            “I have a date with Ji Hyun,” Luhan answered simply.

            “I know you stopped listening to me since your father died, but please… Listen to me once and just meet up with Reira?” Mrs. Xi begged. She got up from her seat and hugged her son and felt how stiff he was. “Talk to you later, okay.”

            The minute Mrs. Xi left, Luhan’s phone was ringing. He reached into his pocket and saw it was Ji Hyun.

            “Hello?” Luhan answered.

            “Hey, um… I was wondering if you were still with your mom, Reira came by and she was wondering where your mom was,” Ji Hyun replied.

            “My mom is probably heading there now…”

            “Oh okay. Well, anyways I was thinking about our date tonight. Are you excited?”

            “About our date tonight… I’m sorry Ji Hyun, I’m not exactly feeling well…” Luhan felt like he was tasting soap for lying to Ji Hyun. “Maybe you can hang out with Tiffany tonight.”

            “I’m sorry to hear that,” Ji Hyun’s happiness slowly faded. “I hope you get better.”

            “Yeah, we can schedule some other time,” Luhan suggested.

            “Okay, bye,” Ji Hyun said sadly.

            Luhan hung up his phone and threw his phone on the floor in anger. 

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Xi, your son is spectacular at the piano!” Luhan’s piano teacher gushed. Luhan and his parents were at his teacher’s music school, where he got his lessons.

            “Of course he is,” Mrs. Xi said proudly.

            “I was wondering if you would consider Luhan being in a very important competition that’s coming up in a couple months,” his piano teacher said. “There will be a bunch of music composers there, famous ones!”

            “Luhan’s only ten, we wouldn’t want to expose him to anything he doesn’t want to do,” Mr. Xi replied a little worried of his son being put under a lot of pressure.

            “He won’t be exposed, he’ll just be showcased to a lot of composers that are willing to open a lot of doors for him,” his teacher explained. “So what do you two think?”

            Mr. Xi looked down at Luhan, who seemed oblivious to everything. “Luhan, do you want to do the competition?”

            “Of course he does,” Mrs. Xi hissed.

            “I guess I do?” Luhan shrugged.

           
A/N: Luhan, the readers aren't going to like you after this... Anyways, I updated like I promised! This is how I plan to update, mostly on Fridays and Saturdays and if I squeeze a little bit of time, sometimes I'll update on random days too. Thank you for all my subscribers for commenting and subscribing. I noticed not many of you are fans of Mrs. Xi, which I completely understand, but come on? She's a mom, she has her reasons for lying. Reira? Well, from the start everyone hated her.