Chapter 1: Winter

Only You

 

 

“Oh shoot I can’t believe I’m going to be late again! He’s going to be so upset!” Ji Hyun was inside her car looking at her wrist watch. It was 3 o’clock and her little brother, Ha Joon finished school at 2:30. She was just two more blocks away from his school, normally their parent’s driver would pick Ha Joon, but today since they were using the car they asked Ji Hyun to pick him up. Ji Hyun parked the car in front of Ha Joon’s school and ran outside. She saw him sitting on a bench alone and walked over to him.

Ha Joon was kicking his feet since they couldn’t reach the floor. He looked up at his sister, his lips were slightly purple from being too cold and he looked like he was about to cry. “You’re late again!”

 

“What is this?” Luhan eyed the piece of paper that was placed on his coffee table. Kris’s girlfriend, Jessica, was the one who made the flier and seemed to be pretty proud of it.

“Since you’re in Seoul, many parents are very interested if you would give piano lessons. I made this this poster so they could get the information they needed,” Jessica explained.

“I’m not teaching anyone anything,” Luhan proclaimed as he walked to his kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. Jessica followed him and sighed. “The whole point of me coming back was to take a vacation.”

“Look, Kris told me to help you, so I’m helping you. I told him I was going to set you up with one of my friends, but he said no.” Jessica watched as Luhan took a long gulp of his coffee and reached for the coffee pot again. “How many cups of coffee have you had today?”

“Don’t change the subject Jessica; I’m not going to teach little kids the piano. I’m supposed to be getting my inspiration back. Whatever that means,” Luhan muttered the last part as he took another long sip of coffee.

“You can’t cancel now! Ten people already called; maybe you can make a child prodigy if you taught these kids something.”

“Jessica-“

“Don’t Jessica me! Your first lesson is next week.” As Jessica was informing Luhan, she handed him a paper of all the people who signed up. Luhan followed Jessica to the door happy that she was leaving. Before Jessica left she looked at Luhan with her smug smile. “Luhan, I think if you teach these kids something you might find out why you fell in love with the piano in the first place.”

“Yeah, yeah, just go,” Luhan said slightly annoyed that Jessica hasn’t left yet.

Jessica just rolled her eyes. “Okay, bye Luhan.” Luhan closed the door the second Jessica turned back and walked away. He groaned as he looked at the list of people who wanted him to teach their kids how to play piano.

 

            Ji Hyun felt bad for picking up Ha Joon from school for the fifth time, so she decided to take him out to ice cream even though it was snowing and literally 20 degrees outside. No matter how cold it was that was all Ha Joon wanted. They went to their favorite ice cream shop, which was their special bonding place. Ha Joon was eating his sundae while Ji Hyun was just sitting there watching him. He had ice cream all over his face making Ji Hyun giggle as she wiped his mouth.

            “I’m sorry for picking you up late again,” Ji Hyun apologized.

            “It’s okay, if you never picked me up late, you would never get me ice cream,” Ha Joon said with his mouth full of ice cream.

            “Swallow before you talk,” Ji Hyun couldn’t help but laugh at her brother. “I’m not going anywhere, we have all day.”

            Ha Joon swallowed his ice cream and his lips before taking another spoonful. “I asked Momma and Dad if I could live with you.”

            “And what did they say?” Ji Hyun smiled.

            “Momma said she would cry because she wouldn’t see me as much and Dad said that you were too busy to take care of me like Momma and he does.” Ji Hyun smile faded a little when she thought of her parents. They were always busy with work, they always forgot about Ha Joon. “I wish I could live with you though, I like spending time with you. You never come have dinner when Momma invites so I never see you unless you come pick me up from school.”

            “You know that I’m busy with school and I have to work,” Ji Hyun replied.

            “Yeah, but when you tell Momma you’ll come over she’ll make ever nice, but when you tell her you can’t come anymore, she sometimes cries,” Ha Joon looked down at his feet. “Dad tells me you don’t come not because you don’t love us, but because you want to make us proud.”

            “Did you talk to Cho Hee today?” Ji Hyun asked changing the subject so Ha Joon wouldn’t seem so upset. Cho Hee, was in the same grade (first grade) as Ha Joon and was his crush that he’s liked ever since school started.

            “I shared my crayons with her today, I drew her a picture, but it wasn’t pretty so I threw it away,” Ha Joon said sadly.

            “Maybe if you talk to her some more she’ll like you,” Ji Hyun suggested. “But you probably shouldn’t be worried about getting a girlfriend since you’re so young.”

            “What about you noona? Do you like anyone?” Ha Joon asked.

            “I like you,” Ji Hyun replied smiling.

            “No! I mean like how I like Cho Hee!” Ha Joon laughed.

            Ji Hyun rested her chin on her hand. “No, there’s no one I like, don’t worry if I ever like anyone I’ll tell you.”

 

            Luhan was still at his condo, when the door knocked. He was holding the newspaper from earlier talking about him. He knew it was bad for him to read it, but he couldn’t help it. Earlier he tried to get over it by watching TV, but on the celebrity news channel, they were talking about him as well. When Luhan opened the door, his other friends, Lay and Kai walked in without Luhan even offering them to come in.

            “Did Jessica already show you the flier?” Lay asked.

            “Yes, I know about the stupid piano lessons,” Luhan muttered trying to forget about that as well. “Why are you guys doing this to me?”

            Kai was looking through Luhan’s kitchen cabinets when he turned to him. “What happened to you? You used to be so cheerful, remember when you used to cry every time you were away from your precious piano.”

            “I never cried,” Luhan grumbled.

            “We just want to help you Luhan,” Lay insisted. “We want you to be happy.” Lay noticed the newspaper on the dining table and grabbed it. “This isn’t going to make you happy if you keep reading this.” He threw the newspaper at Kai who threw it in the garbage. “Maybe we should set you up on a date.”

            “No dates, I’d rather teach little kids how to play the piano than meet girls who only care about money and looks,” Luhan said coldly.

            “Sometimes I wonder if you’ll end up alone,” Kai admitted. “With that attitude, most likely you will.”

            “Luhan, you’ve been across the entire world and you haven’t found one girl that you’ve liked?” Lay wondered.

            “Oppa, what are you doing?” Ten year old Ji Hyun asked Luhan. He was practicing playing on the nice white piano that was in his room.

            “I’m playing my piano,” Luhan said happily as he scooted over so Ji Hyun could have room for him.

            “Can I play?” Ji Hyun started hitting random keys making several of strange noises. Luhan started laughing at Ji Hyun’s mistakes. “Don’t laugh at me!”

            “I’m not laughing at you!” Luhan gently moved Ji Hyun’s hands from the keys and slowly started playing twinkle twinkle little star.

            Ji Hyun was so amazed by the sound she had the biggest smile on her face. “Oppa when you become famous don’t forget me okay?”

            “If I become famous you’ll be my girlfriend and I’ll take you everywhere!” Luhan assured as he continued to play.

           

Ji Hyun dropped off Ha Joon at home as she was about to leave her parents saw her and invited her in. Ha Joon went straight to his room so he could start on his homework. Ji Hyun was in the living room and noticed all the changes their mother has made. Making sure the nice leather couches were perfectly white not a single stain or scratch on it and that the marble floors were nicely polished. Ji Hyun’s mother placed a tray of tea with her finest china in front of Ji Hyun.

“How’s school?” Ji Hyun’s father asked as he took a seat across from her sitting by her mother.

“It’s going great,” Ji Hyun replied awkwardly. She never talked to her parents about school or anything, since they were either always busy or she was busy. Plus, she has never been close to her parents in the first place.

“That’s good to hear Ji Hyun,” Her mother smiled proudly like Ji Hyun just won an award. “Sorry we made you pick Ha Joon from school today, we know how busy you are-“

“No, its okay I like picking up Ha Joon,” Ji Hyun interrupted.

“We actually wanted to ask you something Ji Hyun,” her mother started. “We know you’re always busy, but we were wondering if you could send Ha Joon to his first piano lesson. We were planning on having our personal driver, but we want Ha Joon to feel comfortable and since your father and I can’t take him next week, we want you to. Is that alright?”

“Uh, yeah, I guess I can take him,” I replied somewhat confused at this sudden request. Normally, my parents didn’t care if their personal driver took Ha Joon anywhere. “Why is Ha Joon taking piano lessons?”

“Since you never wanted to learn, I thought Ha Joon could learn. I want at least one of my children to have some culture in their life.”

Ji Hyun felt a little hurt by that comment and just got up. “I have to go, I have a test tomorrow morning, so I need to study.”

Ji Hyun’s parents followed her out the door. Before Ji Hyun could leave, her mother thought of something. “Don’t you want to stay for dinner?”

“No, it’s okay, just tell Ha Joon I said bye,” Ji Hyun shouted as she got into her car.

Ji Hyun’s mother sighed as she watched her daughter drive away. “Maybe I shouldn’t have told her about the piano lessons?”

“That happened a long time ago, I’m pretty sure Ji Hyun forgot all about it,” Ji Hyun’s father replied

 

 

A/N: So what do you guys think so far? 

 Here's a picture of what Ha Joon looks like!