Thinking Part II

I Can't Let You Go Nor Can I Love You...

 

 

We, the four of us flipped through more photos of their parents together before they were born. The last photo showed the married couple walking by the sunset beach, holding hands. The beautiful wife was wearing a long summer dress with a straw hat and the dashing husband in only a pair of board shorts, no shirt.

“Woah! You had abs!” Dongwoo gaped at the photo. I found myself staring at the defined 6-packs,too.

“It was a long time ago. I sure miss them.”Appa chuckled and rubbed his flat but flabby abdomen.

“Now, let’s put these aside. There’s something important I need to tell.” We quickly arranged the photo albums aside and turned to face appa.

“I resigned from working with Evolution Industries.” Appa announced proudly.

“WHAT?!” Hoya’s eyes bugged like they were about to pop out.

“Why?” I inquired, watching appa’s face closely. *He’s not planning to stop working…is he?*

“What were you thinking, appa?! How are we suppose to get by? None of us are working!” Dongwoo burst, giving his appa a crazy look.

Funny, the lovey-dovey atmosphere can turn into an air of confused rage.

“Mind your tone,boy! Let me finish first.” Appa gave Dongwoo reprimanding look. Dongwoo hushed and bit his lip in annoyance.

“I resign because I have built my own company.”

“…….” I was speechless.

“Whaaa?” Dongwoo blurted again.

“…Huh?” Hoya massaged his temples. “Is it a small company?” He had look of disapproval. I kept quiet, not wanting to be involved. It was out of my league. No right to complain. No right to object. And, absolutely, no right to give my opinion.

“It’s new  but it’s not small.” Appa huffed and placed a few newspaper articles on the coffee table in front of us.

“Jet Holdings? That’s the company’s name?” Dongwoo flipped through the mass of articles.

“Didn’t that company was awarded with the most profit or something….I think I saw that name in a few magazines…” Hoya toyed with his fingers, trying to remember.

*Jet Holdings…Jet Holdings…Jet Holdings…The name sounds oddly familiar..Oh! That company was already in the papers a long time ago. When omma was still with us.*

“Appa, that company was established quite a long time ago…” My sentenced faltered when appa smiled in agreement.

“Yes, it was established a long time ago.”

Dongwoo and Hoya snapped up, confused. “I don’t understand..” They sighed at the same time.

“Your mother and I started this company a few years ago. With our good friends. All the while, I was still working with my former company in case anything goes wrong.”

“So, why did you quit?”

“My partners have another company and want to withdraw themselves from this company. I have no choice but run it on my own now.”

I tried to fathom what the elder man was saying. Too many questions were running through my mind. What’s going to happen now? Why is he telling us now? Is he leaving? Do…I have to leave this family?

“Why are telling us this appa?” I asked softly.

“Because, we are going to meet them, my two former partners. On Friday night.”

“Oh…Okay.” We said in unison. “Where?” Dongwoo piped,

“In Germany.”

“Germany as in the German country?”

“Yes.”

“Appa, we’re in Seoul, South Korea now.”

“We’re flying there tomorrow night. Pack your bags.”

-

I lay in my bed thinking about what could happen in these few days. Appa said we were going to Germany to meet his partners. Why there? Why do I feel like something else is going to happen?

*No,no,no. I’m just overthinking things, like I always do.*  Shaking my head, I tried to the thoughts away and tried to sleep. Instead, the image of Changjo and his aunt flashed in my mind.

*Sigh…maybe..maybe I should see her again…* I dialed Niel’s number since I didn’t have Changjo’s phone number.

“Hello? Is that you,______?” Niel murmured into the phone, his voice thick with sleep.

I blushed. Despite all the bad things, I still felt incredibly thrilled whenever he says my name.

“Hey, can I talk to Changjo?”

“Mmhpm, sure. Here.”

I heard rustling sounds of movements then someone’s lazy breathing.  “Hello? _____?”

“Err…Hello” I feel so awkward talking to him. How the hell am I suppose to tell him that I want to see his aunt?!

“Why did you call?”

“Um..Do you think..I can um, see your..ah, aunt…again?” There was silence on the other side.”Hello? Changjo?”

“Yes. Yes, you can  see her again. When?” He sounded happier.

“Is tomorrow a good day?”

“Sure. We can visit her at the hospital.” At the sound of the hospital, my heart started to thump rapidly. I forgot all about the…medical checkup. Was it a coincidence that his aunt was in the hospital too? If not, was she there for the same reason as mine?

“Great..Uh, Changjo? W-why is she in the hospital?”

I heard him take a deep breath. Followed by a sigh. “I’ll tell you tomorrow when we meet at the hospital.”

-

 

 

“Where are you going?” Dongwoo questioned after I came down with my signature black hooded jacket. It was just after breakfast and appa had to attend some urgent business outside before we leave for Germany tonight.

“I’m going to…” Uh-oh, what do I say?

He arched a skeptical eyebrow. “Uh-huuuhh? You should be packing.”

“I’ve already packed. I’m going to the hospital. Need to pick up some things.” I shot my most convincing innocent smile. I could feel my breathe becoming shallow and light whenever I’m lying.

I quickly took my motorcycle keys and rushed to the door before he could interrogate me further on.

“Wait, let me drive you there.” He reached his own car keys and strode over next to me.

“It’s really okay. I can go there by myself.”

“Tsk. Yeah,right. What if you pass out on the road? Who going to help you then?” He scoffed, holding my arm tightly and pushing me into his car.

 

“Sorry,I’m late. Massive jam this morning.” I panted after running to the front desk at the hospital’s ground floor.

Changjo was leaning against a wall with a sports magazine in his hand. “It’s okay. Let’s go see our aunt.” I felt my insides twist in a knot at the word ‘our’.

 

“_________-ah! Aigoo, you look so pretty today.” Chango’s aunt crooned. I blushed.

“Thank you. You look pretty too.” I offered back. She did look pretty today. Her face was glowing with happiness when I walked through the door.

“________ wanted to see you today.” Changjo went to give her a hug.

“Oh,really?” Her eyes widened. “Er, yes...I’ve been thinking about what you said that day…About Changjo and you…being my family.”

The atmosphere grew quiet as they waited for me to  say more. “What I mean is, I would to know what you know about me before, like you said, I was separated from the both of you.”

-

“After your mother gave birth to you, she knew that she would make it. So, she told me to look after the both of you. Our parents had died in a car crash and her husband had disappeared when she was in labor.”

“She told me to write down what she had to say since she didn’t have much energy and time left. Here’s the letter. I kept in for the day when the two of you reunite again.”

She handed me an old envelope. The scent of jasmine wafted from the crust paper. It read,

‘To my beautiful children, Jonghyun and ______, I’m sorry I had to leave you so soon. We had spent only little time together. I wish I could watch you grow up, go to school and play with you like how I see new mothers do.I don’t have much time left. Please know that I will always love the both of you. Promise me you will stay together and one day, visit me. Remember you were and  will always be loved. Never forget that.

Love, your omma.’


DID ANYONE GET TEARY-EYED??? 

NO?? Aw, TT.TT 

*pouts* Okay...

Then, comment me your thoughts on this instead :DD!!!!! 

To new readers, you must comment !! or not......you will die from watching Infinite's next teaser xD

To every reader, please comment :)) 

Love, Eunrae :)