History

Framed

Yoona was busy scribbling and jotting down notes until her eyes wandered off behind her shoulder. She quickly peaked at the handsome new student, who was far too busy taking a nap than listening to the teacher. Yoona sighed, and then turned her attention back on the new advance Promethean board. 

A second later, she took a peak behind her shoulder to stare at the boy.

Stop. Staring. Yoona told herself. She quickly shook her head, slapped her cheeks quietly, and took a deep breath with her eyes closed. She gripped her finger tightly around her pencil and stared at the board.

"So does anyone want to repeat what I just said about our history?" the history teacher asked, glancing at the classmates. No one raised their hand. Yoona didn't dare to lift up a finger, even though she was confident about the Society's history. There were lots of questions Yoona wanted to ask about their history, but no one knew the answers to her clever questions. The teacher, spotting Donghae having his beauty sleep, quickly slapped his meter stick against Yoona's table. The sharp noise echoed in the room, causing Donghae to gasp and sit straight up. The teacher glared at Donghae and crossed her arms. "Mr. Lee, why don't you explain about what we just learned?"

Donghae wiped the dry drool from the corner of his lips. "Are we in math?"

A few students stifled a giggle. The teacher frowned at Donghae with a disapproving look.

"Mr. Lee, I'm sure you can sleep all day after school. Right now, we are in history, learning about what happened in the year 2013."

"We're learning about history that happened only ten years ago? Huh," Donghae mumbled.

"Mr. Lee, 2013 was a very important year. It was the year when the Government changed and had supreme power of the people. It was the year when the whole Society changed. It was the year where everything was organized and neat."

"I hope you're using 'government' with a lowercase 'g' instead of 'Government' with a capital 'g.' If I may say, Mr…"

"Mr. Park."

"If I may say, Mr. Park, originally what happened was that the government overthrew the president and began to force uncivilized laws. The power was unbalanced," Donghae explained. Mr. Park scoffed.

"I can tell that you haven't been reading along the history book with us. The Government is the supreme ruler. It knew the rights, and the other branches did the wrongs. To protect our rights, the Government simply overthrew the president and began to organize and keep the people into sections–"

"Then why are we being watched by the Lab Coats?"

"We are being watched by them because they want to make sure that the citizens have their rights and that the sections are organized–"

"No, the Lab Coats are here because they want to use us. Why wear long, white coats instead of royal uniforms like soldiers? They dress up as if they're some kind of scientists or something!"

"No, no! The Government wants to show that they, with the Lab Coats, are equal just like us. The five Faiths even decided to send one ruler and a few Lab Coats in each section. History even says that the citizens wanted to help overthrow the president, who continued to do a horrible job–"

"No, that's not how history really goes–" 

"And what makes you say that?" Mr. Park questioned with a stressed expression. "What makes you say that the history we learn today is fake? What makes you say that?"

Donghae parted his lips for a second, but quickly clamped it shut. He didn't say another word as Mr. Park scoffed. He gave Donghae a smug look and walked away, continuing with the lesson.

Yoona took one last peak at Donghae and slightly widened her eyes as she quickly turned away to face the teacher. She felt her heart quicken its pace and noticed how warm her cheeks were. Her hands began to shake and she felt her palms become sweaty. She wiped her hands against her jeans before writing down the next note.

The two had made eye contact for only a second before Yoona broke free.

And she obviously didn't like that cold look in his eyes.