Project X

Framed

Yoona couldn't move an inch from her spot. Her skin, which used to be milky white, was as pale as snow, and her eyes were even bigger than doe's. No words could describe the disgusted look she had written all over her face. She almost screamed when she thought she saw the corpse move a muscle. The world seemed to have spun around her, giving her a different view of life itself. There was no doubt that she had to praise anyone who was bringing death back to life, but was this right? This corpse didn't even look like a human being. It looked more… more like a doll.

"Quickly, clean this up before the building self-destructs," a snappy voice whispered. Yoona gasped and looked around, trying to find a place to hide. Her eyes landed on a tall poll, which led to an upper floor. It would be impossible for her to climb the pole in less than a few seconds. Hearing footsteps, she had no choice but to hide behind the pole. It would take luck and hope for her not to be caught. 

"Bring all the important stuff. Files, documents, experiments--bring that girl," the voice demanded. Yoona flinched and crept up the ladder as quietly as she could. Sweat trickled down forehead, but she wiped it away with the back of her hands. When she was half-way up, she stared down and felt her stomach squeeze. If she lost her grip, there was no way that she would survive the fall. She stared back down at the group of Lab Coats, who quickly collected the items and put away the box. Her eyes squinted, but widened once again when she saw a familiar figure.

Si… Siwon? she called in her head. Siwon seemed alert and jumpy, and he turned around to scan the room. His eyes no longer seemed gentle and kind. Instead, they seemed sharp and stern, like a criminal's eyes.

"Who's there?" he said loudly. He turned around to the Lab Coats, who stared at him with dumbfounded expression. "Get to work, guys! I doubt you want to stay here any longer. You know that the whole building will explode in a few minutes."

"T-Ten minutes, sir," a Lab Coat squeaked. "W-We have t-ten minutes…"

"Well then get to work!" Siwon screamed. Yoona's gasped silently when she saw Siwon pull out a gun. "You idiots better pack up. Bring the girl, too!"

"B-But sir," the same Lab Coat stuttered, "why do we have to bring her along? She's just an experiment. It does't take long to set up another one, and we only have to wait for a few days to get the corpse into the same state as this one."

Siwon bitterly chuckled, then narrowed his eyes. "You're new here, hm?" The Lab Coat nodded his head. "Name?"

"Lab Coat #4001, sir," he responded.

"#4001? They increased the Lab Coats by 3000? Amazing, just amazing," Siwon muttered. He extended his arm and patted Lab Coat #4001's shoulder. "Have you ever heard of Project X?"

"Project X?" Lab Coat #4001 repeated. "Isn't that the forbidden research no one is allowed to do? I thought the Faiths banned it."

"When an idea lives like fire, it never burns down as long as it is fueled with curiosity." Siwon beamed. "Same goes with Project X. Do you know anything about this project?"

"I know everything about this project! It's brilliant and intriguting! The idea of bringing someone back to laugh is a miracle!" Lab Coat #4001 exclaimed. He paused, and stared at the corpse. "By the way, what is this girl's name?"

Siwon could only grin. "I call her… Im Yoona."

Ba-thump.

Yoona stiffened and lost her balance. A sharp gasp escaped from , and her eyes caught Siwon swiftly turning his body around to her direction. She secretly watched him grin mischieviously, his fingers balling up into a tight and proud fist.

"Aha!" he breathed. "I found you!"

Yoona looked away from his sharp gaze and climbed the ladder as quickly as she could, wanting to escape from the scene. When she was about to fall, a hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her up. She looked up, and her expression softened when she saw her saviour.

"Donghae…" she whispered. But the other man said nothing, and motioned her to escape ahead of him. She obeyed with a nod, and made her way to disappear from this horrible place.

 

A tall, lean woman tapped her heels against the concrete as she walked across the platform. She stopped right behind a yellow line, stairing at the worn-out railroads. The man standing next to her turned around and gave her a small smile.

"Why, hello there," the stranger said. "Isn't it a pleasant day today?"

"Yes, it is," the woman responded simply. Her voice was clear like a dewdrop, light and shimmering with kindness. "Which section are you heading to today?"

"Section 1. It's the dream section! Who wouldn't want to go there? I have enough money to rent an apartment there, and my cousin told me that it's like paradise over there," the man boasted. "How about you, ma'am?"

"Section 13," the lady said, laughing lightly at the end.

"13? Why would you go to 13?" he asked. He stared behind the woman's back, then tilted his head in confusion. "I don't see any chains on your back. That means you aren't being transported against your will. Why Section 13, then? It's an unwanted part of the government. Did you hear that the government is planning to destroy Section 13 in a few weeks?"

"I know," the woman whispered. "I have someone… to meet."

A loud whistle screamed in the air, and out at the corner appeared the train. The wind blew harder, and the fast pace of the train only supported the strength of the breeze. When the train stopped, the woman got onto the train. A piece of paper flew out of her pocket, which the man got with ease. He turned around, hoping that the woman hadn't entered the train yet.

"Excuse me! Miss! You dropped something!" he shouted. He stared down at the business card, and back at the same woman whose back was turned against him. "Yuri-ssi! You dropped something!"

The tall woman turned around, and removed her sunglasses. At the very moment, she bit her bottom lip and gave the man a sheepish look.

"Oops. Thanks," she muttered, grabbing her business card. She ran into the train, hoping to get a good spot.

Please be okay, Yoona, she prayed silently.