Return

Framed

"Now where do you think you're going?" Yoona's mother asked. Yoona stopped right in front of the door with a piece of toast in . Her eyes slightly widened, but then she faked a grin and laughed. 

"Oh yeah! Forgot the jam," Yoona mumbled, running back to spread jam on her plain toast. Her mother wasn't satisfied, but Yoona tried to act like she was in a rush to escape her mother's questions. Once Yoona spread the sticky, red jam over the toast, she bowed to her mother and rushed out of the living room. Her mother didn't bother to stop her daughter.

As Yoona dashed throughout the streets with her small hand bag bouncing against her hips, a smile crawled on her face. Her soft hair fluttered in the wind and her eyes were wide with a spark of happiness. Although it was uncomfortable to run in her dark skinny jeans, the complex outfit she was wearing and the place she was running to was totally worth it. 

It was definitely a wonderful Saturday. The neighborhood was filled with the loud cicadas, who were screeching their horrible song and disturbing the peace of the silence. The sun shined brightly, yet the scorching heat brought sweat to those who had just stepped out of their cool homes. The nature around her looked especially lush and green compared to when the Lab Coats were roaming around. Most were probably happy since the Lab Coats didn't have to visit them until a few months or years later. No one had to step outside to greet the Lab Coats with respect. They could be as lazy as they wanted to be before preparing for the Lab Coat's next return. 

"Yoona! Yoona!" a voice screamed. Yoona, who was burying herself in her own thoughts, accidentally ignored her best friend's screams.

Your little friend is calling you, 'J' informed her. Yoona snapped out of her thoughts and looked up to see Tiffany grabbing her arm, preventing Yoona from running away any longer. She glanced at the handsome man who grabbed her shoulder, then blushed.

Siwon is touching my shoulder! Eek! Yoona squealed.

Your welcome, ma'am, 'J' replied. By now, Yoona had decided that this little voice in her head was harmless and just needed someone to accompany it. She smiled to herself, ignored the voice, and turned to Siwon. 

"H-Hello, Siwon," Yoona stuttered shyly. Tiffany snorted at her best friend's nervousness, while Yoona shot her back with a glare. Siwon smiled kindly at Yoona, and fixed her messy hair.

"You must be quite excited for our little hang out together," Siwon said, laughing. "It's not like every day I go out to hang out with my friends."

"Yep. It's my first time inviting and bringing a girl of my own to our little playdate," Donghae blurted. He swung his arm around Yoona's shoulders, slapping Siwon's hand out of her hair. Yoona slightly scowled as Donghae smirked. She had almost forgot that Donghae was the one who had invited her friend and herself to hang out with Siwon.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. So what are we going to do now?" Yoona asked, nibbling politely on her toast. She wanted to act like a true woman who knew her manners and was mature enough to date the handsome gentleman. Siwon smiled and turned to Tiffany.

"Wherever you want to go. After all, I have to make it up to you, Tiff," Siwon said sweetly. Yoona slightly forwned.

Tiff? Who ever called Tiffany 'Tiff?' she wondered. Tiffany laughed nervously and coiled her hair. She quickly grabbed Donghae arm and pulled him away from Yoona. Donghae looked irritated, but he tried to play cool.

"Ah, ha, ha! there's nothing for you to make up to me, Siwon!" Tiffany said loudly. "Don't create some scandelous dating rumors between the four of us, okay?"

"Whatever my wifey wants," Siwon responded, shrugging his shoulders. Yoona gave a look of betrayal towards Tiffany, who seemed to be in a panic. Tiffany slapped Siwon's arm and glared at him.

"Stop flirting with me, Siwon! You're such a joker!" Tiffany replied, emphasizing the last word. She had just noticed a glint of gold on Siwon's finger, and realized that it was a golden ring shaped into a strange shape. It kind of looked like the letter "J" or maybe some other type of deisgn. "You want to make it up for me? Great! Then go talk to Yoona. Just leave me be with Donghae."

"I can't. Your mom told me to watch you-"

"Go. Talk. With. Yoona." This time, Siwon didn't hestitate to rush to Yoona's side and leave Tiffany. He quickly striked up a conversation with Yoona, avoiding Tiffany's deadly glare. Donghae walked by Tiffany, and slipped his hands in his pocket.

"So many 'J's. What's up with that?" Donghae muttered, also realizing Siwon's ring. Tiffany sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. He came to me and started to wear the ring a few days ago. I think the Lab Coats forced him to wear it or something. Seriously, sometimes the Lab Coats aren't fair," Tiffany grunted.

"I know what you mean. I hate how their job is to control our lives," Donghae agreed. "I especially hate it how they claim that it's for the best of us when it definitely isn't. Couldn't we choose for ourselves? There is a point in our lives where we can choose our own decisions, yet the Lab Coats treat us like kids. It's crazy, you know?"

Tiffany's eyes sparkled in awe as she listened to Donghae complain about the Lab Coats. At that particular moment, she felt like she was forming a strong bond with the boy. She actually felt connected with another man, and her heart was overwhelmed by joy and surprise. It wasn't until minutes later when her cheeks grew cherry red and her heart began to accelerate. Tiffany didn't need to think twice before she understood what she was feeling. She had felt this before, and now she was surrounded by this beautiful feeling again.

I'm in love, Tiffany told herself. She was quite surprised how fast it took for her to love and how quickly it took for her to realize her own feelings. She kind of felt proud, yet embarrassed at the same time. She glanced at the gentleman in front of her, who would speak to Yoona, then glance back to Tiffany occasionally. Siwon's eyes seemed to warn her about something, or he seemed a bit worried about the situation Tiffany was getting to. 

Siwon knew that Tiffany was falling over heels for Donghae.

However, before he got the chance to say anything, the four felt the ground they were standing on tremble. Yoona glanced at Donghae and gave him a confusing look while Donghae pursed his lips. Tiffany spread her legs to keep herself balanced while Siwon grabbed Yoona's arm to support her. The swallows on the trees quickly fluttered away, and the crow standing proudly on the street lamp began to curse a song above them. At that moment, the T.V store at the corner of the street began to flicker. The four friends rushed towards the screen and noticed how all of the channels displayed on the screen were the same. On the screen displayed men wearing white lab coats marching down the street with vehicles rolling in Section 13 thunderously. 

"Breaking news! The Lab Coats have returned for a Section 13 check up! I repeat, for the first time in history, the Lab Coats have visited a section in less than a few hours! Once again, the Lab Coats have returned to check up on Section 13!"

Yoona widened her eyes until they grew the size of golfballs. She glanced at Donghae, and found him pale and stiff. The doe-eyed girl glanced back at the screen and stared at the blonde reporter. The reporter suddenly winked at the screen and smiled as if everything was going to be okay. There was no doubt that her smile had comforted all the hearts of the viewers who were watching this sudden report. However, the final words the reporter had said must've left Donghae in shock, for his mouth was gaped open and he seemed like he would faint any minute now.

"This is reporter Jung Jessica from channel thirteen's 'The Unlucky News.' Back to you, Kim Jaejoong."

Donghae turned his body away from the television and ran off to the west. Yoona slightly frowned, then turned to Siwon and Tiffany.

"Um, guys… I should start heading back home. Who knows what the Lab Coats will say if we're hanging out with these types of clothes," Yoona pointed out. Tiffany glanced at her outfit. She wore a simple white tank top with a navy blue cardigan over it. She had jeans that went up to her knees, and she could already hear what a Lab Coat would tell her. The outfit was too "fun," as the Lab Coat would say. 

"You're right. We better change back to our uniforms or something plain," Tiffany agreed. Yoona pardoned herself and dashed towards Donghae, wondering what was going on in his mind. Meanwhile, Tiffany was about to leave until Siwon held her wrist. She turned her head against and slightly frowned.

"What? Siwon, let go. I need to change," Tiffany told him.

"Do you like Donghae?" Siwon asked.

"No." Her answer was a little forced, which caused Siwon to hesitate. 

"You can't do that, Tiffany. I would advise you to stay away from Donghae," Siwon warned her. "The Lab Coats chose me and you, not you and Donghae."

"I know that," Tiffany snapped. "We've been going out for years, and I've kept our relationship a secret from Yoona. Why can't you just keep quiet about our relationship around Yoona? You know that she likes you."

"She needs to understand that the Lab Coats will choose for her, not her own feelings. If the Lab Coats find out, you know that they're going to crush her feelings to the point where she no longer wants to choose her lover," Siwon informed her. At that moment, Siwon felt a sharp pain on his cheek. Tiffany glared at him with hot tears in her eyes, but just for her pride as a strong woman, she held them back.

"This is exactly why I hate you!" Tiffany hissed. "It's always about the Lab Coats. You're not like Donghae! You… You don't… You don't agree with my opinions and thoughts. I have to agree with yours just because you're my future husband."

"Tiff-"

"I don't want to talk to you for a week, alright? Don't even try to contact me through my parents. Now, if you'll excuse me." Tiffany stormed off, furious about her conversation between Siwon. Siwon heaved a sigh and ran his fingers through his hair.

"It's not like I chose to be in love with you in the first place," Siwon muttered, glancing back at the direction where Yoona had left.

 

"Donghae, wait up! Wait!" Yoona shouted. She started to sprint to catch up with the furious man. After she caught up with him, she grabbed his arm and forcefully turned him around. "Donghae, what's wrong?"

"Yoona… This isn't right," Donghae started off. Just days ago, Yoona had looked like she was a corrupted woman. Now it was Donghae's turn to look like a mad man. She slowly reached to touch his cheeks, and noticed how pale and cold his flesh was.

"What's not right?" she whispered back.

"This. Everything. Why are the Lab Coats back? It doesn't make any sense. They should be traveling back to Section 1, and it would take days for them to come back. It makes no sense. How can… How can they come back in a short amount of time?" Donghae muttered.

"It's okay, Donghae. They're just back. One of them probably left something. It's no big deal," Yoona assured him.

"That's not the point!" Donghae yelled. His eyes were blinded with fear and anger, and his hands reached to grip Yoona's shoulder. Yoona flinched, feeling the man's nails claw deeply in her skin. The pain was unbearable, but she chose to bite her bottom lip to ease the pain.

"D-Donghae-"

"Everyone is back! There is something wrong! Even if the Lab Coats left something, someone would find it and leave it. No one would dare to touch a Lab Coat's items. Even Jaejoong and Jessica are back, and what's worse is that they came back in public! Now the whole section would know them and-"

"Wait, Jessica and Jaejoong?" Yoona repeated. "What's so bad about them?"

Donghae glanced at Yoona, and released his grip. Yoona sighed in relief, and rubbed her bleeding shoulders. Donghae groaned and slammed his fist against the wall. He stood still for a moment, absorbing the throbbing pain he caused between his fist and the wall. Then, he grabbed Yoona's arm and pulled her along the dark street.

"Donghae! Where are we going?" Yoona asked. Donghae shook his head in response and put his finger on his lips.

"Somewhere. It's a surprise," Donghae muttered. Yoona frowned, then noticed how Donghae was using his lips to point to his side. Yoona slowly glanced at where Donghae was gesturing with the corner of his lips and slightly widened her eyes. There were two Lab Coats hiding behind a bush, rolling a film between Donghae and Yoona.

Why are they spying on us? Yoona wondered.

"Now when I say run, we're going to run, alright?" Donghae started. Yoona glanced back, and nodded her head. He grabbed her hand like how a couple would do and faked a cheesy grin. "Ready?"

Yoona cautiously nodded her head, unsure if this was the right thing to do. Then again, she had signed a contract with Donghae with her blood, so there was obviously no way to get out of it.

Follow him, the voice in her head said. For now, just follow him.

That was when Yoona found herself running down the streets with Donghae, her hand interwined with his.