The Mix-Up

Framed

Donghae held his breath and found himself hiding inside the school building. Midight was about to come, and he knew that if he stayed to rest any longer, Yuri would find them. He gently placed Yoona on the cafeteria table and walked over to the kitchen. Finding a fridge, he tried to open it, but realized that it was locked with a seal. He pulled out his gun, and aimed carefully at the seal.

Bang!

The loud gunshot echoed in the room, causing Yoona to wake up. Her face paled and she looked around the dark room. When she tried to speak, she squeaked out a small sound, only to find that was dry. It took her a moment to realize where she was and what had happened before she fainted from being mentally exhausted.

Donghae came out behind the kitchen room and brought out two bottles of water and a tray of rice, meat, and vegetables. He gave her the bottle of water and placed down the tray in front of her. Yoona quickly gulped down the liquid and began to stuff herself. Cold sweat began to form on her forehead, but Donghae wiped them away with his sleeves.

"Donghae," she called him quietly, "is it true?"

He looked up and frowned. "What?"

"That... Is it true that Yuri came back? Are my parents really dead? Am... Am I really running away from something?" Yoona asked. Donghae kept quiet. To avoid her question, he reached for his bottle to drink. However, Yoona stopped him by snatching away his water bottle and putting it next to her. She glared at him. "Well?"

Donghae pressed his lips, then sighed. "The truth is, I'm not sure myself."

Yoona suddenly broke into tears. "What's that supposed to mean? Don't you have any answers? You always have answers! Where's your basement thing? Don't you want to go back and gather some data?"

"I can't go back now," Donghae replied. "Right now, Yuri's hunting me down. I have no idea what Jaejoong and Jessica are planning to do, but I'm sure that they're hunting you, too."

"So are we going to just run? Donghae, my step-sister killed her own parents for me!"

"So you want to go back and give your parents a proper funeral? Are you kidding me? You want to die?" Donghae shouted, grabbing her by her shoulders.

"What else do I have left of me? A sister who has an occupation of a murderer? Donghae, I just told my parents 'bye.' I bid them 'goodbye' and I ditched them--"

"But they sacrificed their lives for you! Don't you want to live for them?"

"No, I don't! I'd rather die and go to heaven with them!"

"Are you saying that you're wasting your parent's lives?"

"If that's what you think, then yes! Yes, I am!" Yoona screamed in frustration, and kicked him away from her. Donghae gritted his teeth, and scratched his head in frustration. Realizing where he was scratching, he looked up and examined Yoona's head. The white tape was now tainted with a bright red color. He reached his hand to take it off, but Yoona flinched and backed away.

"Yoona, you're head," he said softly. She frowned at him, and touched her forehead. A cold, damp feeling brushed against her fingers. 

"When was I bleed..." Yoona paused, then remembered the voice in her head. Her eyes widened, and she took off her tape. "The voice! It was the voice! I-I couldn't move, and I..."

"I heard it, too."

"...I just couldn't move! It was like it was controlling me-- Wait, what?" She looked up and scrunched her eyebrows. "You what?"

"I heard the voice, too," Donghae whispered. "Don't you remember? It was just aobut to introduce itself to us."

"So the voice is a human?"

"It seems to be." He stopped. "The voice was loud."

"Did it control you or something?" Yoona asked. Donghae shook his head. "Darn it..."

"... Yoona, have you eaten something strange?" he questioned her. "Just anything. From the moment you saw me, to the moment now. Even before. Did you eat something weird? Maybe pill-like?"

Yoona carefully thought about it. "I... I think... Yeah! Yeah, I did! I remember! I was kidnapped, lost the bloody handkerchief--"

"Okay, Yoona! Think back! That handkerchief, do you have it? Please tell me that the Lab Coats didn't take it," Donghae pleaded.

"... I think they took it. They slipped something inside me, and it was pill-like. That's when I started to hear the voice and--"

"Okay, that's enough information. Yoona, I need you to do me a favor," Donghae said. "I need--"

"Hello? Hello, is anyone here?" a voice called. Donghae triggered his gun and stood up from the table. He stared around him with an anxious face, afraid that it would be Yuri, Jaejoong, Jessica, or even the Lab coats.

"'Fishy,' are you here?" the same voice asked. Donghae paused.

"Who are you?" he called out.

"D-Donghae?" the voice stuttered. Donghae whirled at the entrance of the cafeteria and found Tiffany staring at him with wide eyes. She was carrying a rather large body bag. Seeing this black bag, Donghae didn't put down his gun.

"Tiffany? What are you... Who do you work for?" he asked.

"I don't work for anyone," she said. "Well, I kind of work for Yuri, but..."

"You've met Yuri?" Yoona asked her, a bit too loudly. "You didn't even bother to tell me?"

Tiffany stared at Yoona. "Wha-- Yoona? Why are you here?" She turned to Donghae with a frown. "What's she doing here with you? Does she know what's going on?"

"So you know what's going on? You know why Yuri's after me, about the weird voices that are in our heads, and about what we're supposed to do?" he asked, curling his fingers tightly around his gun. Tiffany dropped the bag, which deflated to the ground.

It was empty.

"Look, I don't want to get shot or anything, and neither do you. I'm not here to harm you. I'm here to help you. I might know why Yuri's after you and about your real missions, but I got no clue about the voices in your head," Tiffany answered honestly. "Now, put the gun down."

Donghae was hesitant, but when Yoona reached for his hand, he slowly dropped the weapon to his side. He walked over to Tiffany, and gently pushed her towards Yoona. Yoona stared at her friend with eyes full of hope and questions.

"I'm assuming that both of you guys want answers, huh?" Tiffany asked. The two anxiously answered with a nod. She took a deep breath, and curled her fingers on her lap. "Well, let's start from the beginning while we're still alive."

"Is this going to take a long time?" Donghae questioned her.

"Not at all. Look, this all started when Donghae was around three. Yoona, your grandfather played a great role in this, including Siwon's grandfather..."

"Mr. Im!"

"Oh, hellow Mr. Choi. It's fancy meeting you here at Section 1. Do you need anything?"

"Actually, I'm doing quite fine. Except for the revolts. We had to kill quite a handful at Section 13 to die down the situation. However, as we were counting the dead body, we found this three-year-old next to his mother."

"You didn't kill him?"

"Not at all. Actually, we want to conduct some experiment on him."

"...Experiments?"

"Yes. Any experiments. From the massacre, he's the only one who survived, as far as we know it. We want to know how he lived."

"So I was from Section 13 all along?" Donghae whispered. "Oh my gosh..."

Tiffany grimaced. "Yes, but that's not all. Donghae, when you turned four, you died."

Donghae stared at her with doubtful eyes. "B-But... How?"

"Well, that's because Mr. Im accidentally killed you. You were used as an experiment, like a rat. Unfortunately, one experiment ended up to be a fail, and you died. Mr. Im, who was so close with perfecting the experiment with you, didn't want to start over and was scared that Siwon's grandfather might get angry," Tiffany explained. "So the only way to make everything the way it was..."

"Was to bring me back to life," Donghae finished. "Wait, then what about Yoona?"

"Yoona's originally from Section 1. In May, when Mr. Im finally perfecting bringing you back to life, she was born. However, Mr. Choi did something that conflicted with what Mr. Im was doing."

"What was it?" Yoona asked quietly.

Tiffany pressed her lips. "Siwon's grandfather... He found out that Yoona's grandfather was conducting illegal experiments. Mr. Choi ordered the government to examine Mr. Im's laboratory. Therefore, Yoona was kidnapped over night."

"I was kidnapped? Why?" she exclaimed, widening her eyes.

"Yoona, you carry the last information for what is needed to bring a human back to life. It downloaded in a microchip, located in your brain. Yoona, if they want to get the last information, they're going to have to kill you and take away the implanted chip."

"Donghae."

"Yes, Professor?"

"This is Yoona. Take a good look at her."

"Yes, Professor."

"She is my granddaughter. Today will be the last day I will see her. I will send her family a ticket to Section 13. Donghae, she has something carved into her mind that can never be taken out. Your mission: Protect her in the future if she's still alive. In case you forget, visit a young girl at Section 13 named Miyoung."

"I understand, Professor."

"In case things go wrong, you may have to die again."

"Why, Professor?"

"Because if you don't accomplish your mission and take Yoona to a safe place, then I'm going to have to make Yuri kill you. She will be at Section 13 with Yoona for a little while, but will go to a different Section to sharpen her fighting skills. Remember, you were given a second chance to live. Make it worth it. If anything goes wrong... Good luck."

"Thank you, Professor. I promise I'll do my best--"

"The professor knocked Donghae out so that it would look like he was dead. Mr. Im shoved Donghae in a hidden floor and implanted the chip in Yoona's head. The next morning, he returned and gave Yoona back with the ticket. When he returned to his laboratory, he forgot to burn most of the information to bring someone to life. The Lab Coats and everyone caught him, arrested him, and executed him."

"Ah... I guess that's why I mixed up what my mission was supposed to be," Donghae mumbled. "I heard your real name, and heard 'kill.' I probably mixed everything up. Ugh, I messed up."

Yoona curled her body up into a ball. "So they're after me?"

"Not exactly. I have no clue what Jaejoong and Jessica are planning, but I do know that Yuri's goal is to bring you back to Section 1," Tiffany said. "But by tomorrow morning, everything is going to change."

"So what are you saying?" Donghae asked.

"... Look, we're running out of time. I'm just doing what Yuri ordered me to do. She told me to come where with a body bag. And I'm assuming that she wants Yoona to fit in there," Tiffany said, glancing at Yoona.

"W-What? Why?" Yoona questioned her.

Tiffany heaved a sigh and forced a small smile. "Everyone believes that the revolution will start tomorrow. Section 13 is not safe."

"But what does that have to do with me?"

"Yoona, you're the symbol of our team, the one who wants a new government. If we can successfully release you to Outcast, then the entire citizens will be bounded through hope."