Scarlet Cloth

Framed

Dear Yuri,

I'm sorry I haven't sent you any letters in a while. I've been busy, and the Lab Coats have been targeting our section for whatever reason they have. Though I know that they're here to protect us, I can't help but feel like my mind is corrupted. Lately I have (and I don't know why) been hearing voices in my head. It's not my own voice or my conscience as a particular "expert" tells me. The mere sound of the voice irritates me, and sometimes I could hear it breathe as if it was alive. The voice in my head bothers me to the point where I would try to ignore it and push it away with my own thoughts. I know that you must be busy nursing the army men for your war, but since you're the smartest doctor I trust, I prefer if you would help me out on this.

Remember Donghae? The guy I wrote about sincerely in my other mail? It turns out that he's a pretty normal guy after all. It must've been my imagination when I first saw him as a different boy. He's practically like the "guy-next-door." If you mind, can you please forget about all the nasty things I said about him? He's a good child. He's also one of my closest friend.


Yoona paused for a moment and reread her letter. She did edit her letter after she had written everything she wanted to tell to her step-sister. All she did was twist some truths and threw in some easy lies. That was all she did. No harm done.

"Hey. What're you doing?" Donghae asked out of the blue. Yoona gasped and crumbled her letter in her fist. She hid the letter in her pocket and held the empty envelope. 

"N-Nothing. I'm just planning to send a letter to my sister in Section 9," Yoona confessed. Donghae slightly frowned.

"Section 9? Why Section 9? Aren't you guys a family?" 

"I thought you knew about Yuri."

"Oh, wait. Yeah, I remember her. I thought you were talking about another sister who lives in Section 9," Donghae said, snorting to himself.

"For your information, I have no siblings except for her. Hm… I feel like I'm forgetting something," Yoona mumbled to herself, reading her letter for the millionth time.

"Grammar mistakes?"

"Flawless."

"You sure?"

"Nope." Yoona turned her head and grinned. "I never check for any errors like that. What's the purpose of writing a letter? It's less touching and more formal."

Donghae rolled his eyes. "Hm. You have a strange mind, Im Yoona."

Indeed, you do, 'J' agreed.

Why is it that you pop out at random times? Yoona asked her own little "conscience."

Because I feel like it. Oh look! A butterfly!

"Where?" Yoona blurted. Donghae raised an eyebrow, giving Yoona a strange look. She blushed in return, and looked away as she cleared . "I-I mean… Where are your friends? Did you successfully sent them the letter?"

Donghae only sighed. "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I've sent the letter, but I got no response. Not even a quick word response. It's like they're avoiding me or something. I don't know, it's pretty unusual," Donghae muttered.

"Maybe they are on their way here?"

"No, impossible. They should have at least a mini computer with them or something," Donghae told her. 

They smashed the computer, 'J' answered. Virus.

Yeah right, Yoona replied. It's a computer from Section 1. Don't be stupid.

In this society, anything can happen. The voice stopped abruptly, as if it was disrupted by the connection. 

"Yoona? Hello?" Donghae called, waving his hand firmly in front of her voice. Yoona snapped out of her thoughts and blinked her wide eyes, unsure of what was happening. She glanced at Donghae, who held up a little tablet that could've been disguised as a watch.

"What is that?" she asked curiously. Donghae smirked, and tapped on the watch twice. In seconds, a beam of light appeared and folders appeared around the small beam of light. Yoona stared at the gadget in awe, still unsure of what its purpose was. She watched Donghae tap the air, as if he was touching the folder he wanted, and pressed it twice. The folder opened and documents were present. He opened a particular document and another application opened up.

"It's a little device that I use when I go spying around," Donghae explained. "It's something like a computer, only you can pretend that it's a watch."

"Don't the Lab Coats identify the high technology and arrest you?" Yoona questioned him.

"There's another device that helps cancel any sensors that try to come in contact with this. Here. I made a copy for you, but it has less room than mine." Donghae handed Yoona a similiar black watch, only her last name was craved into the side. She accepted it with two hands, skimming her fingers on the watch. Excited, she wrapped it around her wrist and tapped the screen. The same beam of light shot out with only two folders present.

"What are these?" Yoona asked.

"The first folder is nothing. It's just there for you to quickly store information in. The second folder is our plan and the map of Section 13's base camp for Lab Coats."

Yooan froze. "Wait, I thought we had to go and find Tif- I mean, Hwang Miyoung."

"That is what we have to do, but in order to find her more quickly…" Donghae slipped on a pair of leather gloves and tossed a pair to Yoona. "… We gotta hack into the system and steal the citizen's information from here."

"What are you saying…"

Donghae rolled his eyes. "What do you mean what I'm saying? To put it simply in more negative terms, we're going to steal."

Yoona gulped her saliva and stared at Donghae with wide eyes. My sister, Yuri, where on earth are you?

 

Disruptive coughs echoed in Siwon's room. A butler rushed in to aid him, but he just held up a hand to stop the butler. Siwon motioned for some kind of cloth as he kept coughing and choking on his own blood. The butler rushed and pulled out a bloody red handkerchief, hovering right above Siwon's lips. In return, the stronger man harshly took away the cloth and covered his mouth.

After a few moments, a maid rushed in with a glass of honey water. Siwon stopped coughing and stared at the handkerchief. He smirked, and wiped the blood off his lips. He swallowed the honey in one gulp, not caring how hot the drink was. The maid kept quiet, not bothering to warn the strong man. The butler cleared his throat and stuck his hand out to dispose the bloody cloth.

"Sir, you must stay healthy. Do not talk so much and rest," the butler said in a well-mannered tone. Siwon scoffed and stared at the red handkerchief. It didn't even look like it was stained with blood. He smiled and tossed it to the butler.

"Shut up. I'm healthy enough. How long until the wedding?" Siwon asked.

"A few weeks. The Lab Coats are willing to set up the party and create the most extravagant wedding for you and Miss Hwang," the butler replied.

"Where's Father?" Siwon stood up from his kneeling position and wiped the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand incase of any sight of blood around his lips.

"Your father is at the base camp. Why sir?" 

"Start the car. I'm going to visit him."