The Target

Framed

Donghae stared at Yoona, who looked pale and corrupted. Her eyes were wide and they kept blinking every second, and she rubbed her hands together nervously. Her feet would not stop tapping, and she looked quite anxious. He sighed, then handed her a bottle of water. Yoona flinched, staring at the water bottle as if it was some kind of clear poison. Donghae gave her a quick glance before staring off at the road. He gestured her to take it and drink it, but Yoona slowly pushed it away.

"Well, if you want it, it's right here, okay?" Donghae told her. He placed the water on her lap, causing her to bit her bottom lip. He continued to drive his small mobile until he slowed down into a dark alley. Yoona cringed her back, and waited for her eyes to meet darkness. Donghae stopped his black car and quickly unbuckled his seat belt.

"A-Are we here?" Yoona asked. "This doesn't seem like a safe place to have a conversation…"

"Yep, we're here," he replied shortly. He opened the door and waited for Yoona to jump out of the car. "Oh, and believe me, this is the safest place to have a conversation."

Yoona just nodded her head as she followed Donghae to wherever he was leading her. The path was narrow and small, and she was afraid that a gang might appear out of nowhere and approach them. The Lab Coats had done a great job eliminating gangsters in Section 12, and those gangsters had illegally escaped to Section 13, where gangs were still roaming around the area freely, but peacefully. If the gangsters from Section 12 were caught and reported, they would be severally punished by the Lab Coats. The thought of this caused Yoona to feel a bit relaxed, but she still kept her eyes wide and ready.

This is a nice place to take a guy on a date, the voice in her head mocked. Yoona jumped, and quietly screamed. Donghae whirled around, glaring at Yoona. He placed a finger on his lips, which Yoona replied with a small nod. 

"Sorry," she whispered. Damn this voice.

'Damn this voice.' My, my, Yoona. You've learned to curse. What happened to that innocent lovely lady who was desperately in love with Siwon-

"We're here," Donghae said in a low voice. He pulled out a key and quickly unlocked the rusty door knob. Then, he opened it and quickly rushed inside while pulling Yoona in with him. He swiftly closed the door, making sure not to make a noise. Yoona gasped and widened her eyes like two brown buttons. She stared in awe at the plain, white room. It was small, yet it had a complicated system. There was an advanced-technology computer at the center of the room with stacks of papers and files surrounding the round table. At one corner there was a place for people to rest and sleep, while another corner was like a small kitchen. 

"Is this a secret base?" Yoona asked, running her hands down the stair rails.

"Yes, and if you ever tell anyone about this, you'll have to inform me immediately. It's the only area that I found so far that doesn't have a camera scanning around the building," Donghae explained. He walked down the stairs quickly and ran to his computer. He tapped on the space bar a few times, and the computer blinked a password box. He quickly typed something in as dots appeared in the box. Once he pressed another key on the keyboard, another screen replaced the password box. "Yes, it works!"

"Wow… So complicated. Only Section 1 can provide themselves a computer like this," Yoona whispered. "Did you buy this at Section 1?"

Donghae forced a bitter smile. "Yeah. Something like that."

He's suspicious, the voice said.

Shut up.

"So you wanted to join me on my mission, right?" Donghae asked. Yoona nodded her head as Donghae printed a piece of paper out. He walked over to the printer and pulled out the white paper with black ink all over it. He handed it to Yoona and grabbed a knife. "Ready?"

Yoona gasped. "You're going to kill me?"

Donghae laughed in response. "What? No. I'm going to prick your index finger. Now, let me tell you something. Once you sign this contract with your blood, there's no going back."

"What's it about?" Yoona asked, her eyes skimming through the contract. Her eyes furrowed and her lips curved downwards. She flipped the paper, then stared at the bolded words at the front page. "There's only one word here: Revenge."

"That's basically it," Donghae replied. "By signing this contract, you're going to help me get revenge on someone who ruined my life."

"Can I ask who the person is?"

"No. It's a secret."

Yoona pouted. "You're mean."

"Since you know this secret base and all about the pills, I figure you should just sign it without hesitating. Remember, I saved your life by telling you not to eat those red pills," Donghae pointed out. Yoona scowled as she handed her index finger towards Donghae.

"Fine, but in return, you're going to have to tell me everything, especially about this voice in my head," Yoona said, pointing at her head with her other free hand. Donghae grabbed her index finger and stared at her strangely.

"A voice?" he asked.

Don't tell him about me, Yoona. He can use it as your weakness, the voice warned her.

"I'll explain once you agree to my terms," Yoona said, ignoring the voice. She heard a scowl, but decided to push it away from her thoughts. Donghae hesitated for a moment, then nodded his head as he pricked her index finger with his pocket knife. Yoona flinched and gasped in pain as her blood dripped against the paper. Red splotches stained the corner of the paper, and Donghae motioned her to quickly right down her knife. She couldn't believe the pain the little cut had brought her. Every time she traced her name, her finger throbbed and stung her skin. Once she finished signing, Donghae snatched away the paper and hid it somewhere in an empty, clean file.

"Alright, now you're going to help me," Donghae started.

"Wait, tell me about this voice first," Yoona interrupted him.

Don't Yoona. Don't do this-

"I never heard of a situation relating to a voice. Your voice probably doesn't have anything to do with us. It's probably just a lack of sleep or something," Donghae told her. Yoona frowned, not satisfied with his lame and lazy answer.

"But it tells me to not to do this or to do this-"

"Then it's probably your conscience," Donghae said.

See? I'm your conscience! the voice persuaded her. Still, Yoona wasn't convinced.

"Well, help me get rid of it. I don't like it, and it bothers me," Yoona mumbled. Donghae heaved a sigh.

"Does it have a name or anything?" Donghae asked. Yoona shrugged her shoulder as a single word came from the voice.

J, it said. Call me J.

"It says that it's name is 'J.'"

"Guy or a girl's voice?"

"Sounds… It sounds like a guy's I think. Maybe a girl? I'm not too sure," Yoona mumbled. 

Donghae shook his head and pulled out a profile from the corner of the desk. "Whatever. It's not my problem, and as long as it doesn't get in our way, it's fine. Here."

Yoona caught the files before any of the papers could slip out of it. "What's this?"

"The target. I must get revenge on this person," Donghae said, clenching his fist. His eyes were dark and full of evil, and his scowl became bitter and cold. Yoona raised an eyebrow and opened the profile to the first page. Her eyes enlarged and she gasped once she dropped the paper down on the ground. Donghae raised an eyebrow just like how Yoona had down. "What's wrong? You know this person?"

"N-No," she stuttered. Yoona frowned as she read the person's name on the top right hand corner of the page. "Don't you have a p-picture?"

"No. If I did, I would've done this myself," he replied coolly. Yoona just nodded her head as her bloody finger ran across the person's name.

The person Donghae wanted to avenge was no other than a person called Hwang Miyoung, whose name also belonged to her dear friend, Tiffany.

 

Tiffany sighed for the tenth time as she pressed the green phone button on her cell phone. She patiently waited for the person on the other line to answer, and when he finally did, she decided to yell and scold him for not picking up the phone for the last twenty minutes.

"Siwon, where the heck are you? I called you every two minutes and my mom is already worried over you! Honestly, you're supposed to be the gentleman who can be there for his girl any time. We had this photo shoot planned days ago, and now you sudden hang up on us?" Tiffany yelled. Her mother was at the far end of the room, talking to the camera man and trying to stall some time. Siwon's parents were also trying to persuade the camera man to stay for a few minutes and promised that his son would come. Tiffany pitied the adults, and all she could do was sit and be the calm, patient daughter they expected her to be.

"Sorry. I'm coming right now," Siwon answered. "I had some… things to do."

"How long will it take you to arrive here? The camera man seems like he's going to explode any minutes now." Tiffany scowled, not caring about what Siwon had to do. Important or not, she believed that he was wasting her precious time doing useless activities that only mattered to him.

"Thirty minutes?" he guessed. Tiffany's eyes widened and she stood up from her stool. 

"Thirty minutes! Siwon, are you crazy? You made us wait for hours, and you're coming in half an hour?" Tiffany shouted. Her mother gave her a disapproving look and motioned her to sit back down. Tiffany quickly bowed nervously and sat back down on her wooden stool.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I'm sure my parents got everything handled. We're close with the Lab Coats, especially my dad, so he can probably manage to flatter them and persuade the camera man to stay for a little longer."

"Siwon, just what on earth did you do?" Tiffany asked, groaning. She put her hand over her forehead and frustrated bit her bottom lip. There was a moment of silence, and she was ticked off. Then, her ears were greeted by the long beeps of the phone. She dropped her jaws, realizing that Siwon had hung up on earth. She gritted her teeth furious and threw her phone down to her feet.

Curse you, Choi Siwon!