First Sight

Framed

"Yoona."

"Hm?"

"Wake up."

"Five more minutes–"

"Wake up."

"Mom–"

"Hush, sweetie! The Lab Coats are marching through Section 13 today. Wear your best clothes and make sure you don't do anything that would cause them to arrest you."

The girl's doe-like eyes shot wide open. She quickly sat up, rubbed her eyes, then yawned. She turned to her caring and exhausted mother, who was already up to help her daughter prepare for the day. Yoona gave her mother a worried look as her mother dug into her closet and pulled out her navy blue school uniform.

"I'm going to do your hair today," Yoona's mother said. "Take a quick shower and wear your uniform. Brush your teeth with the special white toothpaste that I bought you a few days ago."

Yoona just nodded her head as she got up. "When are the Lab Coats cutting off the connections?"

"Not until lunch, I suppose. Why? Do you want to contact someone?"

"Well, I'm planning to contact Yuri unnie," Yoona replied drowsily.

"Didn't you send your sister a letter two days ago? She's not going to get the mail until Sunday."

"Still. I need to call Tiffany, too. She asked me to call her after I get ready and eat breakfast. I bet you that she just wanted me to call her because her alarm clock broke last night," Yoona said with a smile. Her mother chuckled as she neatly placed a blue ribbon on Yoona's white, classic-themed desk.

"Sure, sure. Now get ready! I'll do your hair after breakfast," her mother responded. She scurried out of the room, leaving Yoona dragging her feet to the bathroom, rushing to prepare for the Lab Coat's monthly check-ups.

 

"This is so exciting!" Tiffany exclaimed with a bubbly expression. Yoona rolled her eyes as she yawned. She rubbed her eyes and checked the classroom's clock, making sure that Tiffany wouldn't be late to class when she got carried away with the conversation.

"What's so exciting about the Lab Coats? They kind of get…" Yoona paused for only a second. Then, in a low whisper, Yoona continued, "They kind of get nosy, right?"

Tiffany rolled her eyes. "Oh my gosh, Yoona! You weren't listening again! I was talking about Siwon's upcoming party! Gosh, and to think that you have a crush on him…"

"I-I don't have a crush on him! W-What makes you say that?" Yoona stuttered, her cheeks burning up. Tiffany bursted into laughter as she held her stomach with her arms. Yoona rolled her eyes and shyly looked away from Tiffany's teasing smile.

"You're really hilarious, Yoong. Did I ever tell you that?" she asked.

"S-Shut up! Just shut up!"

"Okay, okay! Chill, girl! I was just talking about the new student, that's all. I was never talking about the Lab Coats or Siwon," Tiffany replied with a grin. Yoona's whole face turned red in embarrassment. Tiffany giggled and glanced at the clock.

"Oh my gosh!" Tiffany gasped. "I better head to class."

"But Tiffany, you have five minutes left…"

"Are you serious? You're expecting me to make it to class in five minutes?" Tiffany asked, gaping.

"But your class is only next door…" However, before Yoona got to continue, Tiffany was already out the door. Yoona just shrugged her shoulders and waited for five minutes until the teacher came in. Once the teacher, Mrs. Baek, came into the room, she started to take attendance and finally kept quiet after the room enveloped in silence. No one had a problem with Mrs. Baek. She was the best homeroom teacher anyone in the school could probably have.

"Boys and girls, we have a new student who will be attending our homeroom class," Mrs. Baek started. Everyone kept quiet. No one spoke a word. They all hitched their breaths, wondering if it would be a guy or a girl. "He was actually raised in Section 1, but was forced to transfer here in Section 13."

Loud whispers and murmurs quickly filled the quiet room. Yoona's eyes widened as she intently listened to Mrs. Baek. Everyone knew that Section 1 was the wealthiest section. So why come to Section 13, the more unlucky and unfortunate section out of all 13 sections?

"Everyone! Quiet down! Please, lower your voices!" Mrs. Baek said, raising her voice. After two minutes, everyone turned their attention back to Mrs. Baek. The teacher smiled and looked out the door. "Lee Donghae, please come in!"

The door slid open, and everyone's eyes were glued to the hand that was on the edge of the door. They continued to stare with interest in their eyes until they all saw the new student's brown, innocent eyes. Guys flinched and cringed as the girls continued to stare in awe. Even Yoona had to admit that the boy was pretty handsome. After all, he did have an attractive jaw line.

"Everyone, this is Lee Donghae. Donghae, would you please introduce yourself to the class?" Mrs. Baek suggested. Donghae glanced at his classmates with a quick glance. He suddenly made eye contact with Yoona, who froze and stood still. She immediately turned pale when she saw Donghae's small smirk. He wasn't being cute anymore. In fact, his innocent eyes turned dark and cold, and he gave off an uneasy atmosphere. However, it seemed like Yoona was the only one who was able to tell Donghae's strange atmosphere.

"Hi. I'm Lee Donghae… and that's all you need to know about me."

Right when those words slipped out of Donghae's lips, everyone in the class reacted. The girls' heart melted and the guys nodded their heads in amusement. However, it was only Yoona who came a different response to Donghae's quick and mysterious introduction. She was the only one who gave Donghae a horrified look. She was the only one whose heart didn't melt. She was the only one who didn't show any interest in Donghae. She was the only one who suspected him.