Encounter

If only you weren't famous..

'I took a deep breath, inhaling the scents of the purple lavenders which decorated the lush green grass. It was the same meadow. The weeds have now grown to the height of my knees, brushing them against each other as I scrolled along.

*Tap tap*

I turned around to see the same boy again, I could recognize him even though I couldn't see his face clearly. He leaned in to me, cupping my cheeks with both his hands. I closed my eyes, and felt his lips gently on mine...'

 -

Nicole woke up from her nap.

It was the same dream again. For weeks, she had been dreaming of the same thing over and over again, with only little changes each time. It irritated her. It feels as if a message have been sent to her but she couldn't figure out what it was. ' If only I could see his face, it's always so blurry..'

She sighed and looked out the window of the plane she was sitting in, staring at the clouds that floated freely outside. 'They look like snow..' She smiled to herself. Travelling to Korea was Nicole's dream. No one really believed her when she said that because when she made that wish, she was only 7 years old.

-

"Mummy, what's that?" little Nicole pointed to the television in front of her.

"It's called snow, darling"

"It's so beautiful!! When will I see it here?"

"You won't. It doesn't snow here in Singapore.."

"Why?"

"Snow only appears at certain places in the world. It's so special that even at those places, they only come out at a certain period of the year."

"What's that place?" She pointed to the television again.

"It's a beautiful place call Korea"

Nicole stood up. "Mummy.. when I grow up, I'm going to go there and bring back the snow so that the people here will see it as well"

-



That wish never left her, even when she's old enough to understand that it's not possible to bring the snow back here, that wish never left. Not when her friends laughed at how stupid it was, not when she met with difficulties while learning Korean in the language school. She's 18 years old (which makes it 19 in Korean age), 11 years since she made that small little wish and now, it's coming true.

With her luggage in hand, Nicole took a deep breath and stepped out the airport, only to be greeted by the cold air. She pulled out her scarf from her bag and wrapped it around her neck. 

"Wow.." was the only word that came out.



After checking in to the hotel, she decided to take a walk around Seoul.

It was the year-end holiday, she came here all alone without any specific plan to what she was going to do. She wasn't even sure if the people here understood her Korean.

"Hello, can I have a cup of hot chocolate please?" She smiled to the girl behind the counter of a small cafe.

She nodded.

'So she understands me..' Nicole silently giggled to herself.

She took a scroll in the park and held the cup of chocolate with both her hands, wishing it would provide her enough warmth. This was her first time experiencing winter and she was still trying to get used to it. 

"Omo, it's snowing!!!!!!" Nicole heard a scream from behind.

She looked down into her cup of chocolate. Little white balls were slowly dotting themselves into the pool of brown liquid, some of them landing onto the sleeves of her navy blue blazer.

Nicole widen her eyes, she was too loss for words. She looked up into the sky, and felt the little dots dropping themselves onto her face. And just like how a small girl who received her favourite Barbie doll would react, she placed the cup on the bench beside her and jumped up and down while spinning in circles, straightening her arms out and feeling the white flakes for the first time. She mentally check the only item in her to-do list for this trip. It was fulfilled.

She heard someone's laughter and turned behind, meeting the smiles of a boy. She smiled back.

"First time seeing snow?" He asked, walking towards her. She nodded.

He stretched his hand out towards her, the smile never leaving his flawless porcelain-like face.

"Junhyung.. Yong Junhyung."