Chapter 14: His mother’s grave

A book of debt

 

“Mdm Kim! Did you see my car keys?” Dongwoon came walking down the stairs.

“Here,” I answered him in glee, twirling the keys in my hands.

“Why are you taking my keys?” Dongwoon didn’t look pleased.

“I’m going with you,” I smiled, carrying my backpack.

“Take these,” Mdm Kim, came in with the packed food prepared yesterday, handing it to me.

“Then, we are going off!” I bowed to Mdm Kim.

“Please take care of yourselves!” Mdm Kim smiled, pushing the dumbfounded Dongwoon out too.

“Dongwoon, keys!” I threw him the cars key as we reached his car. With a swift moment, he caught it.

“Why are you following me?” Dongwoon grimaced.

“I want to see your mother too.” I smiled at him. He was speechless.

“You wait here,” He ordered, stopping at the road side. Dongwoon left the car, locking it and ran into a floral shop. He came back with a bouquet of sunflower, placing it back the back seat.

“You mother liked sunflowers?” I asked, I would do the same to, bringing my mother’s favorite flower to her grave on her anniversary. Dongwoon nodded.

“She said sunflowers are fruits of sunshine. Looking at the sun flowers always put smile on her face.” Dongwoon smile a little as he recalled. It was the first time I saw him smile sincerely.

“You looked very handsome when you smile,” I gave my honest opinion. His face turned a little red, trying his best to focus on the road. I fell asleep the rest of the journey, tired.

I dreamt of my mother in that short period of time. I dreamt the times of my childhood, where she would teach me to make my favorite kimbap, step by step. Even without my dad, I was blissful with my mother’s showering love. Suddenly, she was gone, I was alone, I knew and tears fell.

I woke up. Dongwoon was so close, with his hands on my face. I could see him trying to wipe away the tears. All I could do was to stare at him. His eyes were locked to mine. I blushed.

“We are here,” Dongwoon broke off. I blinked, trying to recover from all the sudden emotion. We got out of the car. I stretched, taking in the fresh air on top of the hill. Dongwoon took the sunflowers in his hands, and walked up the small path. I followed after him.

At the end of the path, was a green grass patch, surrounded by trees, gentle wind blew. What a place. Silently, Dongwoon placed the sunflower on the tombstone. Following his lead, I opened the packed food, placing it near the flowers.

Dongwoon and I stood in front, and in sync, we gave a formal bow of respects.

“Ajumma, annyeong haseyo, I am Park Yoora,” I bowed 90 degree as I got up from the formal bow. “I came to give my respects. I hope you will like the food I prepared with Mdm Kim.”

“Though I just met Dongwoon, but he is a very good kid. He has been taking care of people and he has been missing you every second.” I talked to the grave like I would always do with my mother’s.

Dongwoon stood there in silence.

“I will wait for you in the car. Come when you are done.” Dongwoon did not response, but I knew he heard me. I walked back down the path, back to the car. I waited, leaning against the car. What could I do for him at this moment?

Minutes pass, hours flew… It was not until 2 hours later, Dongwoon came strolling down with all the food packed. I didn’t complain, knowing exactly how he felt. His face was not emotionless, it just reflected grief.

Without speaking, we got into the car and drove off.

Why does my heart ache for him?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

^^ are you guys enjoying the story?^^ pls do.(: