Chapter 32

Accidental Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sun was up when they reached to the outskirts of the city and entered into the road leading to village side. The sight of concrete buildings was replaced with blue sky and greenery. Natalie opened the window to feel the difference of the air. The air was fresh without the smell of petrol and city. She couldn't remember the last time she went on a spontaneous vacation. Her mind was foggy and disoriented but she was determined to enjoy her brief escape from reality. 

Jinyoung was behind the wheel with a messy hair and casual attire. Baggy pink hoodie and blue denim made him look younger. He hummed along with the radio. His eyes had a free and relaxed expression which she hasn't seen in a while. She always thought he would be easy to understand once they start dating but the man was like an onion. When you peel one layer there will be another layer waiting. But today it didn't bother her. She was only curious.

"What's going in there?" she asked while slowly the back of his head. He looked at her with an amused expression which turned into a smile. 

"Thinking how to fake death," he said focusing on the road again. He laughed out loudly as he realized Natalie went speechless. "Just teasing you. I'm hope there won't be rain."

"So where is this place?"

"A holiday home," he answered briefly. "My mother used to own it and she passed it down to me." He added after a while. 

"Oh., where is she now?" she was eager to know since it was the first time he said anything relating to his family. 

Jinyoung took a deep breath, "She passed away when I was five."

opened slightly as she reached to his free hand. 

"It's ok. I- I don't remember her much now." He said letting her caress his hand gently. "I miss her but my memories are disorganized. She is like a dream now. Writing her parts in the book was the hardest." 

"Her parts? Oh that was- that was your story." Her voice came as a whisper when she realized his books was his story. "I'm sorry Jinyoung. I-"

"It's ok Nat. I wanted to tell you about her. She loved me a lot. Even I can't remember her clearly I want to keep her in my memory. What better way to do that rather than telling about her to the woman I love." He kissed the back of her hand. 

The rest of the journey was silent as they both were lost in their thoughts. Natalie's mind wandered in to the parts of the book she read and she remembered how he claimed stories like that happen everyday behind closed doors. 

It was around afternoon when they reached to the petite cottage in the border of the forest. The cottage looked tinier with huge trees at the back. The weather was cooler and the sky was cloudy. The inside was cozy and warm with a living space with an actual fire place. It didn't look like a typical Korean home but more of a fairy tale cottage with dainty furniture. The TV was an old model. Despite the fact it hasn't lived in for a while, the condition was quite good. 

"There is a caretaker who lives close by. After my mom died her lawyer had arranged a caretaker for the property. I actually lived here once I came to Korea. There is a village school nearby," Jinyoung said pulling a white clothe covered a couch in the middle.

"So Jackson lived here?"

"Oh no. He only lived with me for two months. I got a place in Seoul when I first came down until this was ready to live in. I met him as he was wandering in streets without a proper place to stay. Even I knew very little Korean at the time I couldn't ignore him." He opened a window facing the mountains. "He was just like me. Lost."

Natalie helped him bring the luggage inside and for her please the caretaker had left lunch for them on the table. Lunch was silent and they both inhaled food as they were famished. After the lunch she looked around the place hoping to see anything from his past but nothing could peg as special. Not a single photograph was hanged around the cottage. It felt just like Jinyoung's room back at home. Nothing personal but something private. Like a big secret in open but can't put her finger on. Jinyoung was dozing off on the couch and she decided to take a walk in the woods behind. 

A small footpath ran inside the forest. More she walked more it got cooler and light peeked from here and there. She had never been to a place like this before. Even in vacations she would end up in an expensive resort or mostly near beach. She loved beach and sea but trees and mountains had a different kind of charm. If you are quiet enough, you could hear your own thoughts.

Maybe it was the forest or maybe the fresh air, her problems at home felt insignificant. The footpath took her to a small spring well where bunch of village kids were playing with water. They were surprised to see her coming out from the forest but soon their surprise turned into a curiosity.

"Can I drink some water from the well?" she asked to ease the awkwardness and also she was thirsty. A little boy took a cup and filled it with water. She was little skeptical about the cleanliness but she drank it anyway. The water was cold and tasted like nature.

"Do you want more?" little guy asked seeing how Natalie starred at the cup. 

"No. Thank you. It was really refreshing." She gave the cup back with a smile. 

"You are from Seoul?"

"Yeah. Have you been there?"

The girl who asked the question shook her head shyly. "Mama said city turns people bad. Selfish and sad.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter