Chapter 20

Accidental Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Natalie wore a plain blue dress with simple mary jane shoes for the Sunday lunch. She heard Jinyoung clearing his throat as to let her know he was ready. Since Wednesday they have been avoiding each other and rarely had time to talk. Past few days she had been working really late and went straight to bed when she came home. She found Jinyoung sleeping on couch until she gets home but she knew it was best for her to maintain a certain distance from him. 

Jinyoung was busy with his phone when she went down and he was dressed in  simple denim pants, a white t-shirt and a blue checked shirt. Unconsciously they have gone for couple looks and for some reason she felt happy. 

“Are you ready?” he asked with a smile when he noticed her. She noticed how soft and gentle his face looks when he smiles. She couldn’t help but to flash a smile involuntarily. 

She nodded her head while reaching to take the car key but Jinyoung was faster. He put his hand over her shoulder and grabbed the key from the hook, he was pressed on to her back startling her. She could smell coffee in his cologne and his body was warm. 

“Aren’t you coming?” he asked snapping her back to the reality. 

 

The Sunday lunch was a tradition started when Natalie’s grandpa was alive and her parents continued the tradition even though it was only Natalie who bothered to go for those. She never managed to eat more than few spoonful. 

“You told me it was your grandpa who made the Sunday lunch tradition. Tell me about him,” Jinyoung asked as to break the silence. 

“What do you wanna know? You said you know him,” her reply sounded uninterested in the conversation. 

“No I mean how was your time with him. I think if we are gonna pretend as a couple I should know your family, don’t you think?”

She knew he made a fair point and to her own surprise until he points it out, it didn’t cross her that they were supposed to pretend to be in a fake relationship.

“He was the sweetest person ever. He treated me like a Princess. Well, when he was at home. He lived in Japan most of his life but managed fly to Korea in every two weeks. For Sunday lunch.” A small smile appeared on her face as she thought of him. He was the one who kept her sane when her parents were mean to her. 

“Do you miss him?” Jinyoung asked softly. 

“I do, a lot. If he was alive I wouldn’t even have to have a fake relationship in the first place,” she blurted out. 

Jinyoung tightened the grip on the steering wheel. 

“Do you regret it?” he asked he parked the vehicle in Natalie's parents' house. 

“Regret what?” she raised her eyebrows.

“The contract with me,” he looked directly at her and his eyes were focused on hers. 

“No, I mean if he was here I wouldn’t be this person in the first place,” she said avoiding his piercing gaze and got down from the vehicle. 

 

The table was full of dishes and to Natalie’s surprise Frank Watson was among the invitees, apart from Jinyoung. 

“Park Jinyoung, so what do you do?” Richard Wang asked while taking a bit from his steak.

“I’m a writer sir,” he replied carefully. 

“Have you published anything?” Watson was quick to join the small talk.

“Not yet. But one of the book deals came through recently,” he said with a smile. 

Natalie was surprised as he never mentioned it to her. 

“I got the message only on Friday,” he managed to whisper her seeing her confused face.

“So basically you don’t have a job” Richard scoffed. 

“He does dad, he just said it,” 

Jinyoung placed his hand on Natalie’s thigh to make her calm.

“Yeah, a writer who hasn’t even published a single book is  a job” Richard smirked reaching to his glass. 

“Why do you care so much?” Natalie dropped her fork on to plate. 

“Because you have a history of getting attached to beggars,” Cate snapped forgetting Watson was still in the table. “First it was Jaebeom, then a Thai beggar.  Did you know Jaebeom asked for money to break up with you? I guess not. Your dad was nice enough to offer him a job”

It was something new to Natalie and her  breathing got heavy as she tried her best to control her emotions.


“You know what, screw this lunch. We are leaving,” she pushed her chair back and dragged Jinyoung by his hand. 

Jinyoung was utterly confused but managed to do a half way bow while being dragged out.

 

“Hey calm down. It’s alright,” he held her hand  while they were inside the car.

“Can you take me somewhere faraway from here?” she whispered slowly. He nodded as he started the vehicle.


The sky had few white clouds floating like cotton and waves repeatedly hit the shore. The white sand complimented the beautiful beach and Natalie was hugged by a comfortable wind as soon as she got down from the vehicle. Her short dress was caught in the wind and she tried to keep it from blowing up. She felt Jinyoung’s hands wrapping around her waist and she noticed he was tying his over shirt around her waist to keep her dress in place. 

She left her shoes in the car and walked to the shore in bare foot. She kept hearing her mom’s voice in her head. She couldn’t believe Jaeboem ever going to her father to beg for money. But that explained how he ended up with the job. She never understood what made her father recruit him. Her heart was aching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter