Chapter 31

Accidental Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“We made history with this project Natalie. It’s gaining international popularity and we already restocked all our branches and online store. Can you believe it? Selling out within 5 days from the launch?” 

Natalie smiled wearily at Zara who had a glass of wine in her hand proposing a toast. Despite all the chaos in her life Natalie decided to take her team mates for a proper celebratory dinner on Friday night. She reserved a high end Italian restaurant for the whole division A of project planning department. She did not have the right mind for celebrations but seeing the fruit of their labor being so sweet, she decided to forget everything and enjoy. 

“So here’s to Natalie Wang, the woman who refused to let testosterone bags get what they want.” Zara raised her glass gaining a loud cheering from all female employees while male employees made teasing noises. It was a famous secret who those testosterone bags were and everybody knew she fought tooth to tooth to get what she wants. 

Natalie smile grew into a wide grin hearing the cheering from her team mates. That sound told her she actually did something right and she was proud of it. ‘Maybe the way it happened doesn’t matter at all' she wanted to convince herself. 

“But I’m still upset with Ms. Wang for letting us believe that we wouldn’t find the investment for the project when she had it all planned,” Mina, a petite girl with a short hair spoke over the voices.

“What do you mean?”

“I meant your handsome boyfriend who conveniently happened to be the CEO of Sonics.” She laughed teasingly as other joined the  laugh. 

The wide grin on Natalie’s face slowly diminished  to a plastered smile as she searched for a proper answer. She dreaded that assumption but she knew there was nothing she could do to make them think otherwise. It would be even foolish to say she had no idea that who he was or he wasn’t even her boyfriend at the time. After nearly a week she was getting used to hearing how he became her Knight in shining armor when in fact she never needed one. She wanted be her own Knight not to be the damsel in distress. 

“Well, I never influenced their decision so I can guarantee you that it was not pity,” she said with the best smile she could manage. She knew Mina did not mean anything malice yet she was annoyed with her. 

“Oh I didn’t mean it like that Ms. Wang. Even if he is your boyfriend he wouldn’t  invest in a bad project out of pity. Congratulations for making it successful.” Mina was quick to correct her statement.

“We all worked hard for it. It wasn’t my individual success . I will like to propose a toast to everyone of you who sacrificed their sleep in order to make this project a success. Everyone of you who worked hard side by side with one goal in mind.” She raised her glass and emptied it. 


Zara gave a small smile as to ask whether she was feeling ok. She nodded with a smile. She wasn’t going to ruin the night for everyone merely because she was having issues at home. Those were not going away anytime soon as she thought. Even the morning was awkward when she told him that she was going for a dinner with teammates and he told her that he will be out. That was it. Out. Nothing more. No names. She had no trouble believing him before but suddenly she wanted to know everything about him. She knew asking where and whom he was meeting would only raise red flags but it hadn’t be an easy task to ignore it either. He hadn’t texted her or called her for the whole day. It was like he has become a different person over night. Secretive and quite. His smile didn’t reach his eye whiskers anymore. His laugh was hallow and empty. His days were filled with phones calls or outings. Every time his phone rang he would go to his room to answer the call and all she would hear were soft mumbles. She couldn’t understand as why would he want to be so secretive of his work. It wasn’t like he was the head of NIS. Her mind whispered so many question at her in  every given minute. She kept consoling herself that he would tell her something soon but every day she slept with a head full of unanswered questions.

“Nat?” 

“Yeah?” She was brought back to the dinner table with Zara's voice. 

“I asked what are you planning to do with Thai pepper seed at my place? She spent a whole day following me around, more like surveilling. Then she spent a whole day watching Netflix and finishing all my snacks. And guess what I found under her bed? My whole knives collection,” Zara said making sure others can’t hear her voice. 

“I spoke to Mark. I’ll meet him tonight on my way home. He is positive he can get her a safe passage out and then get in here legally.”

“That’s good. Or else I will end up in an asylum soon.” Zara drank the whole wine glass. Natalie smiled seeing Zara getting little drunk and letting herself go. She rarely complained a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter