Chapter 09

Accidental Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Natalie lied on the bed without getting up. She checked her messages praying to see a message from Zara. Her phone was filled with messages but none were from her PA. She put her phone down and hugged her pillow again. She wanted to call in sick and stay at home. She didn’t want to see Jaeboem getting the project from her team. She realized this is what he expected, for Natalie to give the project willingly because she lost the challenge. She won’t be able to complain as he stole it because he gave her a chance. Though that chance was more like cutting down a tree with a blunt knife, she won’t be able protest against him taking the project. After two weeks of thinking, she realized why he agreed to give her two weeks and it made her mad. He hasn’t changed bit, he was still cunning, seeing years ahead of him and knew exactly how to get what he wants. She realized he played her but it was too late to turn everything back. She groaned in despair as she kicked her legs up. She typed a quick message to Zara and closed her eyes. 

Jinyoung arranged the pancakes and coffee mug on the table. He plated the diced fruits on a plate for dessert. He tried to listen to any sound coming from Natalie’s room since it was already seven fifteen in the morning, only to find silence. He was worried that she might have left early in the morning and decided to check on her. He was surprised when he saw Natalie coming down in her PJs like it was a casual Sunday. 

“Aren’t you going for work?” 

She ignored his question and took the coffee mug. She took a bite from a pancake with maple syrup and drank a sip from the coffee. 

“I’m going,” she said “around noon" she added. 

“Ohkaiy...” Jinyoung tried to sound not interested as possible as he can. 

“What?” Natalie could sense his curiosity. 

“No, I mean I have never seen you this way before” he gave reasons for his curiosity. 

“I just felt like going late" 

“Hmm… is it because of him?” 

“No, he has nothing to do with this" she denied strongly. 

“Yet you know who, without me telling his name" 

Natalie knew she fell into Jinyoung’s trap and he had a cocky smile on his face. 

“Ok fine. It's him so sue me" she snapped at him. 

“Can I ask why?” 

She kept quiet as she didn’t want to tell him. 

“ok I guess you don’t want to talk” he paused, “then would you like to listen?” he asked. 

She looked at him without saying anything and he took her silence as a yes. 

“I had sort of a lonely childhood and during my teenage years books got me through life. There is one book which changed the way I look at world. The Alchemist. There is a phrase in it, ‘The darkest hour of the night comes just before the dawn'. That phrase kept me going at hard times. It kept me moving forward because I knew the dawn would come soon" 

Natalie smiled at his attempt to encourage her. 

“So you think some miracle would come if I go to work today?” She asked with a smile. 

“What I’m telling you is hiding in the bedroom is not the way. Go there and do what you do best. Something might happen.” 

She took few quick bites from the pancake and stood up from the chair. “Thanx. I needed it" she winked at him. 

“That’s my girl" he cheered with both hands up. 

“Sorry I’m late, any update?” Natalie asked while taking the coffee and sandwich from Zara’s hand. Zara took pride in making sure Natalie eat her breakfast everyday since they started working together. Natalie didn’t have the heart to tell Zara that someone else has taken the responsibility to feed her in the morning. 

“Well, Mr. Tuan has sent an email asking whether you need his help" Zara said avoiding Natalie’s eyes. 

“Mark?” Natalie lifted her head from the file. 

“How does he know about this? I didn’t offer them to join" 

“Oh… you didn’t? Ah! I think I must have mentioned it to him other day" Zara tried to look busy while searching something on her laptop. 

“Zara? Did you ask him?” her voice was firm making Zara flinch. 

“Yes I told him that stupid is trying to steal your hard work again" seeing Zara pouted like an angry child made Natalie soften. 

“We talked about this Zee, I can’t run to Mark every time I’m beaten. I have to do it by myself” Natalie said with a soft yet firm voice. 

“But Nat,” 

“No buts Zee. Even if we hand over the project we aren’t going to ask Mark" Natalie said in a dismissive voice. 

“Mark, I can’t do it anymore. I just can’t” tears rolled down her cheeks as she sat on floor in Mark’s bedroom. She was wet from walking in the rain and she damped hair was sticking to her face. Mark sat on the bed and tried to dry her hair with a towel. “It will be alright baby girl” he kept on muttering while drying her hair. As usual she had a huge fight with her mother and her mother decided to make her sleep outside. Natalie walked 2km to get to Mark’s home at 11p.m in heavy rain. “Mark, I've got some hot tea for Natalie” Mark’s mom knocked on the door. Mark opened the door and took the tray. “Thank you aunt Dory” Natalie said muffling her cries. “Don’t mention it baby. You know you are welcome here anytime" a soft smile was on her lips. “Goodnight then. I’ll send an extra blanket to your room Mark" she waved at them silently. Mark gave the hot cup of tea to Natalie. She wrapped her hands around the cup warming herself. “Drink it quickly and change in to these" Mark kept a over sized t-shirt and a short for her on the bed. She nodded her head. “What happened this time?” “She was angry that grandpa left me money in his will. He only left money
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter