Chapter 3

Love is Patient

After his class, Gerald directly headed to the hospital to fetch Kim.

"Hey lover boy!" Kara greeted him at the entrace of the emergency room.

"Hi Kara, si Kim?"

"Hay naku po! matatagalan pa! She's inside the operating room right now, assisting an Emergency CS."

"Gaano katagal pa akong maghihintay?" Gerald sat in one of the benches designated for waiting significant others whose patients are inside the emergency room.

Kara raised her eyebrows, "Mag-iintay saan? sa oo niya o sa paglabas niya sa OR?"

Gerald smiled. "Sa paglabas niya sa OR."

"Two more hours I guess."

"Okay lang ba akong maghintay dito?" he asked as if he doesn't know the answer.

"Ito naman, parang ilang araw ka lang hindi sumundo, limot mo na kung saan ka pwedeng mag-antay." Kara joked him.

Gerald gave out a weak laugh.

"Don't worry, paglabas na paglabas niya sa OR theater, sasabihin kong nag-aantay ang lover boy niya sa lobby!" Kara tapped his shoulder and gave out a teasing smile.

"Thanks Kara!"

"No problem Ge, I need to get going now! Patients are waiting!" Kara left.

Gerald walked towards the hospital lobby and took a seat. He browsed the magazines provided on the reading corner of the lobby. He hasn't been contented with that, so he played with his car keys, then with his cellphone until he fell asleep on the couch.

An hour later, the surgery has ended, patient has been transfered to the recovery room where Kim would have to stay for a few minutes to monitor the patient's initial response to the surgery. Just as she reached the recovery room, she saw Kara on her scrub suit.

"What are you doing here? I thought sa ER ka assigned?" Kim asked Kara.

"Doon nga ako! I asked Lito and the resident to stay there for a minute to be able to tell you something important."

Suddenly Kim got nervous. "Kinakabahan naman ako sa sasabihin mo!"

Kara laughed. "Sorry, wrong approach ata ako! you need not to get nervous about this!"

"Ano nga yang sasabihin mo?" Kim impatiently asked.

"Your lover boy is waiting for you sa lobby! ayieeeee!"

Kim smiled with excitement. "Si Gerald?"

"Unless may iba ka pang lover boy Ms. Chiu?"

Kim smiled and left Kara. "Sira ka talaga!"

"Hey saan ka pupunta?" Kara watched Kim change from her scrub suit to white gala uniform.

"E di pupuntahan si lover boy!" Kim smiled at her friend, took her things and opened the door that is designated for the medical team to exit and enter.

Kara shook her head, stayed at the recovery room for few more minutes to take charge and do her friend's responsibility to monitor the patient's condition.

Kim excitedly went to the hospital lobby to see her lover boy. She just smiled when she saw him sleeping. For the months that he's been fetching her from her duty, this has been a normal scenario, especially when Gerald would arrive very early.

She sat beside him and tapped his left arm. "Ge?"

Gerald opened his eyes and saw her. "Nakatulog pala ako."

Kim smiled. "Parang pagod na pagod ka ha?"

Gerald looked at her. "Ikaw, puyat na puyat!"

Kim shook her head. "It doesn't matter!"

"Kim, di ba dapat wala kang duty this whole week? What are you doing? Parang hindi ka na kumakain at natutulog."

"Hey, this is to help my patients."

"To help? how could you help them kung magkakasakit ka naman?"

"Gerald, I won't get sick!" she protested.

"Your mom is worried, Kim please stop this!" Gerald raised his voice.

Kim suddenly got silent. "I'm sorry!"

"Alright, get your things now and let's get out of here!" Gerald instructed her.

Kim looked at him "Paano naman yung trabaho ko dito?"

"I already fixed that! Okay na, since it's not your regular schedule, they can't hold you. Saka pumayag na rin ang supervisor mo." he smiled.

Kim obeyed his instructions, got changed into her civilian dress and they exited the hospital.

Gerald took her to her favorite Resto, before he drives her home.

He ordered for the both of them and let her eat."You have to finish all of this before you can go home."

"What? Gerald! are you serious? napakarami nito!"

Gerald laughed."Syempre ako din kakain! gusto mo atang ubusin ito mag-isa e"

Kim gave a deep breath of relief. " Hati tayo!"

Gerald agreed, so they ate.

After eating Kim requested to take a short walk,while walking, they saw a bench and took a seat.

"Kimmy, promise me not to do that again."

"Not to do what?" she asked.

"Getting a 24/7 duty schedule! magkakasakit ka!"

Kim smiled. "Kelangan ko lang naman ng distraction."

"Distraction? saan?"

Kim hesitated to tell him the truth.

He held her face. "Hey tell me!"

"Gerald, why are you not doing the usual thing?"

Gerald got the idea, she is bothered by the sudden change of routine.

"Kim, you needed time to focus on your studies, I gave you that. Ayokong makaistorbo sa'yo, hindi ba yun naman ang gusto mo? and besides, I will be very busy the coming days. I already entered the Law school, I wanted to finish this course"

"Really? good for you!" she smiled. But he can see the sadness in her eyes.

Gerald held her hands. "Hey, kahit busy na tayong dalawa at di na masyadong mag-kausap o nagkikita, that doesn't mean na nagbago na ang feelings ko for you, still the same and will always stay that way."

Kim smiled and nodded. "thank you Ge!"

Gerald hugged her and kissed the top of her head. "No, thank you Kim!"

AFter an hour of savoring the moment, he drove her home.

They're greeted by Mommy Elena at the gate. "Hey sweety! buti at nakinig ka kay Gerald, thanks iho! for bringing her home safe!"

"No problem tita!" Gerald gave Mommy Elena a beso.

"Halika muna sa loob, I baked cookies for you guys!"

"Naku po tita, I'd love to pero maaga ang klase ko bukas." he looked at Kim who's looking at him, waiting for his answer.

"Ganun ba? basta don't bother to visit us here anytime okay? you take care!"

Gerald looked at Kim once more and she nodded. He gave her a peck on her right cheek and whispered "be a good girl"

Kim laughed and nodded "You take care! Thanks for the dinner!"

He gave her one last hug and kissed Mommy Elena and said his goodbye.