Chapter 10

Love is Patient

After lunch, Gerald's phone rang. 

"Tita Elena!"

"Hello hijo, how are you? Kamusta si Kimmy?"

"We're doing great tita, napatawag po kayo?"

"Hijo, i can't contact Kim, gusto ko lang sanang alamin ang exact date ng flight nya."

"Tita did you just say flight?"

"Her flight going to the States di ba?"

"Flight going to the States?"

"Yes hijo. Oh my God! Kim hasn't told you about this yet?"

Gerald got stiff, he cannot move. Is it really happening, Kim is leaving? "If she told me, I won't be this surprised." he said it in a very serious tone."

"Gerald, you shouldn't be hearing this from me. Nadulas na rin ako, paninindigan ko na. Kim's scheduled to leave for US! An opportunity to become a pediatric surgeon is already waiting for her."

He didn't respond. All of a sudden his world stopped.

"Hijo are you still there? listen to me, you need not to end whatever you have with Kim. Mahal niyo ang isa't isa, it's another challenge sa relationship niyo."

"Thanks tita, I need to go." he ended the call. He leaned on the wall, he doesn't know what to feel, he started sobbing. "Why did you have to hide this from me Kim?"

Gerald wasn't able to calm himself for hours after the call. He can't believe it! Kim is leaving and he didn't know anything about it!

Fifteen minutes after two, he drove to the hospital. He waited for Kim at the lobby.

At exactly three in the afternoon, Kim is out of her duty. "Babe!" she went near him and gave him a smack.

Gerald didn't respond. He held her right hand, intertwined with his left and they started walking. Kim's puzzled with his being so silent, from the hospital, and now that they're inside the car.

When they reached his condo, he's still not talking. Kim put down her bag on the sofa and sat beside him. "May problema ba? may gusto kang sabihin sa akin?"

Gerald sighed and looked at her, she can see anger in his eyes. "Baka ikaw ang may gustong sabihin sa akin."

"What do you mean?"

"What do I mean?" he raised his voice."You're leaving! at ang masakit nun, parang wala kang balak ipaalam sa akin!"

Kim got teary eyed,she used her hands to cover his mouth and started crying.

"Aalis ka siguro na hindi mo na lang ipapaalam sa akin."

"Ge, hindi sa ganun!"

"E ano nga? Kung hindi ko pa malalaman sa iba hindi mo sasabihin, Kim ano ba ako sa'yo ha?"

"Babe, I didn't tell you kase ayokong masaktan ka."

"And you think hindi ako nasasaktan ngayon?" his tears kept falling.

"Ge, you just started reviewing when the confirmation came, ayokong masira ang focus mo!"

"I am your boyfriend! hindi ba karapatan kong malaman? Kim kilala mo ako! hinding hindi ko sisirain ang pinaghirapan ko ng maraming taon, pag sinabi mo from the start, siguro mas maiintindihan ko. This is not about me, this is about us! aalis ka! dalawang taon yun Kim!  "

"Ge, I'm sorry! naunahan din ako ng takot! Please understand."

Gerald shook his head. "Kim patawarin mo ako pero hindi ko talaga maintindihan!"

"Gerald, this is my greatest dream. Alam mo yan! Sana naman suportahan mo ako sa gagawin kong 'to."

Gerald nodded. " I will!"

"Ge promise to call you everyday, mag-uusap tayo sa skype whenever I have time to spare."

"Kim, hindi! ayokong may iniisip ka pa kapag nandun ka. Ayokong maging istorbo sa pangarap mo."

Kim looked at him upon hearing his last statement and shook her head. "Gerald hindi ka kelan man nakagulo."

"Pero bakit yun ang nararamdaman ko ngayon?" he cried harder.

"Ge hindi!"

 

Silence for a couple of minutes..

 

"Kim, I am letting you go. Hayaan natin na ang pagkakataon ang magdesisyon. After 2 years kung tayo talaga, tayo talaga! Mahabang panahon yun, marami kang makikilala doon, at ayokong dahil nakatali ka sa akin, you'll deprive yourself from meeting friends!"

"Gerald, pwede naman tayong magtawagan, please just don't do this to me, to us!"

"I am sorry, I wanted it that way!" then he left.

Kim was left crying! This is what she's afraid of, that is why she cannot tell him yet! She loves Gerald so much that if he asks her to stay, she will forget the opportunity given to her and would just stay in love with him, stay on his side.She will do that for him, but knowing Gerald, he won't agree to that. But the worst thing happened, she never expected him to let her go just that, but he just did. 

Kim waited for Gerald to come back the whole night, but he didn't. The next day Kim left his condo and went back to her place. Since then, she didn't hear anything from Gerlad, she keeps calling and texting him but he never responded.

 

One week for Kim to be able to convince Gerald for a conversation. Her flight would be exactly seven days from now. With the help of JM, Gerald's cousin, Kim was able to get hold of Gerald,  2 days after and he agreed to meet her at their favorite resto.