Chapter 26

Love is Patient

Two months after processing her visa and the like, Kim flew to the US. She once had worked there but this time, it's not just work for her, she'll have to look for Gerald as well.

The first 3 months in California was for her to adjust. She got a flat near the hospital and had built friendship with Maya, a Filipina surgeon. She told Maya about her main purpose and Maya being married to an American and has been living in California for 10 years now, had met different people who might have known or met Gerald.

She is willing to help Kim, in all her ways possible. They became instant friends since day one.

 
Kim got pulled out from the surgical ward by the OR Team, which is led by Maya.
 
"Maya, something wrong? Aren't you all present today?"
 
"Kim, what's your husband's name again?"
 
"Gerald!"
 
"You are an Anderson right? so Gerald Anderson is his complete name?"
 
"yeah! Why?"
 
"Come right here! We got a patient named Gerald Anderson."
 
"Where's the patient?"
 
"Still in the ER."
 
"What's his case?"
 
"He'll be transferred here in 5 minutes, "Emergency Appendectomy". We need to do it before it ruptures."
 
Kim covered . "Oh my God! What happened?"
 
"Kimmy, we aren't sure yet if he is really the one we are looking for. There are hundreds of Andersons
here and the possibility that he is another Gerald Anderson, hurts but atleast he's not in harm if he's not your husband."
 
"Maya, I don't know what to ask Him. I don't know if I wanted the patient to be Gerald, considering that he's ill! However, if he really is, atleast I know now, how is he."
 
"Just don't expect and at the same time get calmed."
 
Kim nodded. They heard the arrival of the patient.
 
Kim stood up when the stretcher is pulled inside the OR door. Maya stood beside her. When the pale face
laying down the gurney became visible to both,  Kim's tears automatically fell.
 
Maya looked at her and she nodded to confirm that the patient is her husband.
 
"Alright, Kimmy you can join us inside the theater."
 
Kim nodded.
 
"Alright, everyone! Let's get ready, operation will start in 15 minutes." Maya led the team.
 
"Kimmy, the consent isn't signed yet."
 
"Huh? Paano ba siya nagpunta dito to seek medical help?"
 
"The emergency team took him here. That's according to the patient's history taken by the nurse. Don't worry we can get back
to that nurse and get more infos."
 
Kim nodded. "Oh my good Lord, please get him well, I will take care of him. Just please allow him
to surpass this operation." she prayed in silence.
 
Before the operation started, the medical team prayed for a successful operation. Kim sat at the right side, holding Gerald's hand and intermittently kissing his hand. She signed the consent and took all the responsibility to decide for her husband.
 
The operation took 2 hours before it ended.
 
Maya and the anesthesiologist, accompanied the patient with Kim in the recovery room.
 
"Kimmy, he's going to be fine. In four hours, he'll probably be awake."
 
"Thank you Maya."
 
"You can stay with him, I will let the resident on duty, to take over in your ward."
 
Kim stayed with Gerald, 3 hours after he's ready to be transferred in his private room. 
 
Kim never left him. Few more minutes when Gerald finally opened his eyes, feeling groggy he can hardly recognize Kim's face. He's trying to get up
 
"Ge, hindi pa pwede. You have to stay flat on bed for 5 more hours."
 
Gerald recognized her voice. "Ki..Ki..m?"
 
She nodded. "don't worry,  I will take care of you!" she helped her get back to his earlier position. Not too long when he went back to sleep.
 
She talked to the nurse in charge regarding Gerald's prior to admission history.
 
"Doc, your husband dialed the emergency line. The paramedics got him from his condo, unconscious!"
 
"Isn't he a regular patient from the Out patient department or something?"
 
"No doc. We already checked the records since we thought,he has no significant other with him."
 
"Thank you nurse. I will get back to you when I have queries."
 
"No problem doc. I will get back to work now."
 
Kim nodded, and the nurse left the room.  She went near his bed when she saw him wide awake now.
At first, no one's talking. Until Gerald held her hand. Kim was a bit surprised.
 
"Kim, thank you!"
 
She smiled. "Hey, it's my responsibility. What we'll have to do now is to get you out of that bed and get well."
 
He nodded and keeps repeating his "Thank you"
 
Kim stayed with him in his room and took care of him. For 4 days of confinement, she personally does everything like bed bathing, taking his vitals and changing his wound dressing.
 
"Kim, thank you!"
 
"Gerald, hanggang kelan ka ba magpapasalamat ha?"
 
He smiled for the first time. "I don't know. Just thankful I'm still alive."
 
"What happened? You obviously lost weight! Hindi ka kumakain sa tamang oras?"
 
"Let's just say, I was trying to get a diet! "
 
"Hindi lahat ng diet healthy!" she said that seriously.
 
"I know!"
 
"You can already go home tomorrow. "
 
"Thank you! Kim, okay na ako. I owe you my life again, hindi ka na umuuwi ah. I'll be fine now. Please do me a favor. Get a rest, for me!"
 
Kim agreed and went home but promised to help him out with the discharge process.