Special Announcement

Disguised (Part 1)

“Oh god, look at her.” One gaze at them was enough to make me feel insecure. One gaze was enough to make me shiver. “Aren't those clothes ugly?” I eyeballed myself, but I really couldn't find something ugly. “Yes, just like her.” I continued walking and tried to ignore all the dissing stares. I can't stand in a row with those guys, it would just feel wrong. There's no way I could lead a life like them and I don't understand why I can't be different from them. Everyone who dares to be different will be eliminated at once. One of those superb reasons, why I can't integrate. I don't understand them at all. Being an American in Korea isn't easy. I wonder why I even had to move here. But maybe it's better than facing the reality in America.

I guess I'd be living in one of those countless streets, dealing with drugs or something else to afford life. What's even the point in living? I've been shocked since my mother had this big accident 5 years ago.  My mother's condition is unstable and normally I'd be by her side, but she found a new lover – some of those you can just dream of. He's such a nice dad for me, but he hates my laziness. Every 5 minutes he tells me I'll get fat if I don't move. Still, physical education is nothing for me. I'd rather die than playing basketball or other ball games. I guess I am just not one of those brainless jocks, who play like their life depends on it.

“Hey, out of my way.” I looked at the boy in front of me, who was 3 heads tinier than me. Wow, all those bullies get tinier and maybe also dumber. I just stepped out of his way. I couldn't afford beating him up. I already have two warnings. I can barely do anything I want, without damaging all those rules. I hate schools. I hate them all. Why can't just anybody accept me the way I am?

“I am home.” I stated and looked at the empty couch. “Mum? Dad?” I walked into the room, with all those beautiful picture that my father shot with his little pocket camera. I love his pictures. They show simplicity in perfection. He always blushes when I state this, but in the end he appreciates my words. “Luce? We're here.” I looked at the window and ran over to the balcony. There are rarely times when my mom goes out of the house. Because of her condition it's hard. “Hello mommy, how you're doing?” I asked and took her hand.

She looked at me and showed me her prettiest smile – of course. I know there are people who already run away and would leave people alone like my mom. She's not just unable to walk, she also lost her voice. But she has that will to live, which I really adore. “Yes, fine? I am fine too-” “Did you find friends?” my dad cut my words of and stared at me with eyes filled with curiosity.  “Ah... No.” I shortly answered and smiled at my mum. “Who says I need-” “This is already the 6th school.” “Today it were my clothes, my uniform, which isn't different from theirs. You have to understand that they don't want me.”

He gazed at me like something unexpected happened. “So there is left this last option.” “What option?” I suspiciously stared back at him and dragged him into the house. “Well, I can just afford this.

"Boarding School.” This word echoed in my head. Just what did he say? Please, let this be a dream.

“It's expensive, but you will have a good life and you don't have to worry about your mother. I am there.” he continued speaking, not even noticing my shocked reaction or it just didn't mean anything to him, which I doubt. My father has always been there for me, since he appeared... Long story.  “Hmpf. You can't afford this at all. It's much too expensive.” I stated and looked irritated at him. This was no option at all. Sooner or later he would run out of money and we would live on the street. “You seem to underestimate my wages. I can afford this. Your mom and I just have to live modestly.” I shook my head. Unbelievable. “I don't want a life like this for my mum.” “You're the most precious person to her. But there is nothing to discuss between us anymore. Your mum already agreed. In one week you will visit this boarding school.”

“Dad-” “This means so much to us.”  my father interrupted me and smiled slightly. His cheeks were turning rose and he looked back at me. His facial expressions transitioned from cheerfulness to seriousness. They must be kidding. I don't want to go away from my mum. She is the only one that understands me. “Please, do your best. You have our regards and best wishes. Don't dare to leave this school ever!”