1st Memory, 31st December, 10 years back

Disguised (Part 1)

“Daddy daddy!” I smashed my body against his and smiled into the darkness, where my head headed under his jacket. “How was work? Huh?” I asked and calmed down, right after his big hand patted my tiny head. “Let daddy take off his clothes, Luce.” he said and took off his jacket. “Work was fine, Luce. Just take care of yourself, so that you won't be like those in the streets.”

“What's with them daddy?” I asked and jumped onto the couch. “Their way to gain happiness... well, they took the wrong path.” “It's a day to celebrate, Minhwan. Not a day to teach your daughter a lecture about happiness.” I looked at them but although I didn't understood I was happy. I had a family which could keep me warm. “But you gained happiness, right dad?” I asked and went to my mum, who sat down beside her husband. “I am still gaining it, everyday, from your mother.” I smiled as they placed me between them.

“Is mum also happy?” I continued to ask and she nodded, though a slightly worried face appeared for some seconds. I noticed it, because I knew her better than anyone else. Something was bothering her, but she tried to push that aside. I didn't realize it, I was just 6 years old. “I want to watch tv, will you do too?” “We will.” Daddy told me kindly as he patted my head once again. I knew that that day would be the beginning of a new year, but also some other things changed. 

I lay my head down on dad's lap and fell asleep immediately. Right after I awoke I looked around, but no one was sitting anymore beside me. I stood up quickly and ran around. I glanced at the clock, which showed that it was 11.50pm. I thought they would be outside to celebrate new year, but as I looked out of the window I heard some weird type of foot steps. Suddenly the electric was switched off and I tried to find my way through the darkness. I hit the table with my stomach and fell down. “Aua...” I mumbled and stood up again.

“Mum? Dad?” I asked but no reply came back. I went to the kitchen, because I heard a voice speaking and peeped through the slightly opened door. “Let go of that cellphone. You don't want to feel my anger, Nerea.” “I will, I will Minhwan. Just let go of my arm.” she whispered as a tear fell from her eyes. I looked at it and began to tremble as it reached the ground. “Why do you never listen to me? Didn't I give you everything?” “You did, Minhwan. I am so thankful to have met you.” Another tear rushed down from her face. I could just stay there and watch, while my mother shared tears.

“You're a lying beast.” my father hissed and slapped my mum right in the face. I saw that she fell down to the ground and covered her face with her hands. “Are you betraying me?” Even at this time I knew that she could never do that. She loved him, deeply... So deeply that she lived in agony, everyday. I could tell myself that she lied some hours ago. That wasn't happiness. That was pain, agony, sadness.

“No, I would never-” She wanted to answer, but he hit her again. This time it wasn't as lightly as before. I went some steps back and leaned against the wall from our stairs. “Mum? Dad? Where are you?” I screamed out loudly, to make sure they would hear me. I thought that my dad would stop if I do that and he did as I thought. From that moment I knew that the happiness my mum dreamed of did not exist, not anymore.

“Oh, the electric was smashed...” my dad mumbled and patted my head. How could he even dare to act like this? It was a shame. A shame that I didn't realize this earlier. A shame because I couldn't do anything. A shame because this was just my fault. My father would have never expected this from mum if I weren't. My mother entered the room while my father left. No tears were there anymore as she bowed down to me and hugged me tightly.

“Mum? Are you really happy?” I asked again and waited for a 'no' or a shook with her head. Anything to make sure that this relationship was leading nowhere, but into a life without happiness. “Mom isn't happy, but don't tell it your dad. With time my wounds will heal.” she answered and pressed me with all her strength. “It hurts, mum.” I wrapped my arms around her and lay my head on her shoulder. “You'll be fine.” I assured, though I knew that wasn't possible, not in near future.

I didn't know if I was just intelligent for 6 years or because I feared my dad, but I've got a good acknowledge of people when they just appear in front of me. “Yes, Luce. Calm down.” Mother's hand was patting my back lightly, but she let go of me when the light was on again. “Haha, the neighbors turned it off. Idiots.” My father said as he entered the house again. I turned immediately around to face the wall in front of me. I took a big breathe and turned around again to smile at my father.

I couldn't tell if it was my decision or that I pretended to be happy just to make my mother happy. In the end it didn't matter. “Go upstairs, Luce.” “Mum.” I looked at her, but couldn't turn down this instruction. “Yes, I will, mum... Will you read something for me?” I asked shyly and my mother nodded. I smiled at my father, but not in a kindly way. Just like I was sure that he would pay for it. Some time later.

How could she even fall in love with you? And how could you humiliate her? Something's like that was not my father.