|The Overdue 'I Love You'| ~ For chunsaangel21

Sweet Desire's Treats | Batch no. 1 Closed | | Hiring |

Call 229

Thunder: Chunsa? Will you come over today?

Chunsa: Sure! After I do my homework, okay?

Thunder: I’ll be waiting!

Call 456

Chunsa: H-hey! A-are you free, Thunder?

Thunder: Sorry, I can’t. Anyway, you’re going somewhere with Lee Joon, right?

Chunsa: Yes! We’re doing a project.

Thunder: Then you should really concentrate on your project first.

Chunsa: …O-okay.

Call 500

Chunsa: Thunder-

Thunder: I’m not free. Sorry.

Call 514

Ring…Ring…Ring…

The number you called is unavailable.

Call 527

Chunsa: Thunder! Fina-

Mom: Chunsa? Are you with Thunder? Have you made him your boyfriend yet?

Chunsa: MOM?  E-EW! N-NO WAY! HOW DO YOU HAVE THUNDER’S PHONE?

Mom: I’m with Thunder’s mom, and we both believe you two would make a good couple. Thunder left his phone behind, by the way. Tell him that.

Chunsa: Mom, I don’t have a boyfriend.

Mom: What about Lee Joon? He seems to be a nice guy.

Chunsa: Mom, I’m in class. Bye.

Mom: You seemed perfectly fine when you thought it was Thunder.

Chunsa: MOM!

Mom: Okay, sorry darling. Bye!

Call 567

Ring…Ring…Ring…

The number you called is unavailable.

Call 589

Thunder: Chunsa

Chunsa: T-Thunder! Phew! I-I thought you wouldn’t call me.

Thunder: Chunsa…you really need to stop calling so often.

Chunsa: …w-what? Why?

Thunder: Look…I don’t have time for this anymore. We’re no longer kids, Chunsa.

Chunsa: But…

Thunder: I can always see you in school, right?

Chunsa: …right.

 

~~~~

Chunsa sighed as she walked down the hallways. School was so dreadfully boring without Thunder accompanying her through the hallways like he always would. It didn’t matter that they didn’t always share the same classes- as best friends, they were supposed to stick together, throughout, no matter.

Chunsa remembered the situation a few years ago. She had wanted something more from their relationship; in fact, she still did. But she was content with best friendship. Now, she wasn’t even sure what they were. Acquaintances?

Thunder had started drifting away around four months ago. She hadn’t noticed it at first. Then, she started realizing how he would cancel meetings, say goodbye abruptly, and talk really fast, as if he wanted to end the conversation as soon as he could.

She sighed, but as soon as she walked forward, she bumped her head into a firm surface. She looked up, and realized, it was Thunder.  Thunder’s hard chest, to be more precise.

“H-hey!” She exclaimed shyly, stuttering a little. This was the effect he had on her. He was cool and calm, yet his presence turned her into a bag of nerves.

“Hi Chunsa,” Thunder mumbled distractedly, looking down intensely at the books in his hands. He shifted his weight to his right foot, and ruffled his hair awkwardly.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” Chunsa said. “Um…”

“I’ll meet you later, okay? I have classes.” Thunder interrupted abruptly, still staring at his books.

Chunsa was about to point out that she had the same class, and it was only starting in ten minutes, but Thunder pushed past her, his shoulder painfully colliding into hers.

Ring…Ring…Ring…

Chunsa glanced at Thunder one last time, and then fished her hand phone out of her pocket.

Caller ID: Mom

Chunsa groaned. “Hello?”

“Hello darling! I just wanted to tell you to bring your boyfriend over or you’re grounded.”

Chunsa stared speechless at the phone for a moment. “What? Mom, I don’t have a boyfriend!”

“You’re just hiding it from me,” Chunsa’s mother sounded a little desperate.

“Mom-“

“Don’t argue with me, sweeting,” she said sternly. “Now, go to class.”

Chunsa groaned loudly one more time, then hung up. This was ridiculous. How was she supposed to bring back a boyfriend that didn’t exist! She would have to fake it, for sure. Chunsa wasn’t keen on being grounded, over nothing

She dropped her phone unceremoniously back into her backpack and walked towards the classroom. She would have to get somebody to be her fake boyfriend, but Chunsa was much too shy to ask Thunder. She doubted he would even agree to it.

Then, when she entered the classroom, she found her victim. Honestly, she felt bad for Lee Joon. He had been her best friend, up till Thunder came along when she was really young. He was willing to do anything for her, but he just wasn’t Thunder.

Feeling extremely guilty, she sat down next to him, and she blushed when she realized that Thunder was just next to her. Rather awkwardly, she asked, “Um…Lee Joon? Can you do me a favor?”

Lee Joon looked up, his big brown eyes wide. A tired grin slowly stretched across his face. “Depends on what the favor is.” He mumbled sleepily.

“You know. The situation with my mom, “Chunsa began.

“…Yeah. I do,” Lee Joon smiled, eyes gleaming mischievously.

“Um, well, I need a fake boyfriend. Or I’ll get grounded.” The moment Chunsa said that, she thought she heard an exasperated snort from Thunder, but his face was impassive, and he was not looking at her. Chunsa was mildly disappointed, though she didn’t know what she was expecting from him.

“So… you want me to be your fake boyfriend,” Lee Joon chuckled.

“Yup.”

Lee Joon beamed, and Chunsa sighed in relief.

“Pick you up at seven?” He said playfully, offering her his arm. Chunsa slapped it away.

“I said fake, for goodness sake, Lee Joon!”

Lee Joon grabbed her arm. “Well, I might as well play the role.”

Chunsa laughed, feeling very relieved, but somehow, she still wasn’t satisfied.

Because, well, Thunder.

When she turned around, Thunder was gone.

 

~~~~

Call 622

Lee Joon: Chunsa? Is that you? It’s Lee Joon.

Chunsa: Yes. It’s me. Are you all right? You sound unwell.

Lee Joon: Well…the thing is…I am.

Chunsa: What? No wonder you sounded really tired in school

Lee Joon: Yeah, well, I won’t be able to go to dinner with you today. I’m sorry.

Chunsa: Are you sure? I’ll get grounded, Lee Joon. Grounded.

Lee Joon: I’m really sorry…why don’t you go get Thunder to help?

Chunsa: But…Thunder…

Lee Joon: I can’t, Chunsa. You’ll have to look for alternatives.

Chunsa: …Okay.

Lee Joon: Good luck.

Chunsa: Rest well.

Call 623

Ring…. Ring…Ring…

The number you called is unavailable.

Call 624

Chunsa: Thunder?

Thunder: Chunsa! I’m doing my homework right now…

Chunsa: Emergency! You have no excuse to avoid me now, Thunder. This is important.

Thunder: …… I’m listening.

Chunsa: I think you know, but I’m going to get grounded unless you come over for dinner and pretend to be my boyfriend.

Thunder: What about Lee Joon? Didn’t you ask him first?

Chunsa: He’s sick. I need a replacement fake boyfriend.

Thunder:  …Fine. I’ll be waiting.

 

~~~~

I’ll be waiting.

Those words. They were so familiar. Yet so foreign.  

Chunsa knocked on Thunder’s door, and when he opened it, Chunsa felt her insides flutter with nervousness. He looked the tiniest bit angry, his forehead creased when he saw her standing there

“Hi.” Chunsa said, glancing at his face, trying to read his expression.

Thunder sighed. He looked nervous too, for some reason. “Hey.”

“Haven’t been here in a while.”

“True,” he muttered to himself, though Chunsa caught his words. Her gaze met his for a second, and he boldly held hers back, though his chest was heaving slightly, and his breaths were uneven.

“So, um, how do you want to do this?” Chunsa asked, rubbing her palms together.

“Hmm…” Thunder thought, steepling his fingers under his chin. A faint smile started to dance across his lips, a mischievous spark apparent in his eyes.

“Certainly not like this,” Thunder said, a little tentatively, folding his arms across his chest. “We should be closer.”

Chunsa gulped as Thunder tugged her to him. He was blatantly flirting with her, and Chunsa couldn’t stand it, not now, after weeks and months of him avoiding her. There was something in Thunder’s eyes, something else besides his anxiety. Something that had snapped. The clouded look that Chunsa was now so used to was gone, he was intense, focused. He looked…hungry even, for something.

Chunsa turned away, and Thunder abruptly pulled back. “I’m sorry.”

“Nah,” Chunsa was still a little breathless. Thunder was calm now, but his eyes, his stare, was still predatory.

“What do you want, Thunder?” Chunsa mumbled, perplexed. She brought him out the front door, and they began the slow walk to her house.

Thunder kept quiet. He was fidgeting with something in his pocket, and he kept stealing glances when he thought she wouldn’t notice.

It was awkward throughout.

Chunsa dreaded dinner.

 

~~~~

When dinner was done, Thunder headed up the stairs.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Chunsa cried out.

 “To your room.”

Chunsa sighed and followed him. Thunder was so serious different during dinner. Her mom was probably already planning their marriage.

Chunsa entered her room, and Thunder immediately closed the door.

“Look, Chunsa, I can’t keep doing this.” Thunder said softly.

“Doing what? Being my fake boyfriend? I only said once! You can tell my mom we broke up!” Chunsa retorted, feeling hurt.

“No. I can’t keep being the second person you turn to whenever you need help and whenever Lee Joon isn’t available.” Thunder growled.

“But you don’t want to help me,” Chunsa pointed out.

“I do,” Thunder sighed. “You just prefer Lee Joon.”

Chunsa frowned. “What does that matter? You were the one who started drifting away, Thunder. You were my best friend. Best friends are forever.”

“You always do everything with Lee Joon.” Thunder shot back.

“I prefer you, okay? Thunder, what’s wrong with you? We’re supposed to be friends? Why are you acting like this?” Chunsa hissed.

Thunder raised his eyebrows and took a deep breath. “You really want to know, don’t you?”

Chunsa nodded after a pause.

Thunder sighed. “Chunsa, I love you. I have loved you for five years, but you’re always with Lee Joon, I always see you with him!”

Chunsa was shocked. Her head was light, the words, ‘Chunsa, I love you’, would not register in her mind. Especially with Thunder’s voice. She looked at Thunder’s exasperated, vulnerable face for a moment, stunned, and then she felt hot tears gather at the corners of her eyes.

She stepped forward, grabbed Thunder’s clean-smelling shirt, and sobbed.

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for you to say that, Pabo.”

Thunder relaxed, and Chunsa felt his smile as he cupped her face and leaned in to kiss her.

A/N: Hoped this was okay! I kinda made it slightly different in the way I presented it, I thought it might be interesting :D